Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: suggest a entry level DSLR..

@Dark Messiah: In that list, I'd recommend NONE. :D

My option in that price-range is still a Canon EOS 450D with the kitlens, wide enough for landscapes.

Why the Canon 450D?

1. Because it'll mostly satisfy your budget of 30k.
2. It gives you a cheaper route later to buy a Sigma 10-20 for ultra-wide landscapes - Rs.21k. The Olympus equivalent of that focal length with cost a bomb and then more.
3. The best high ISO noise at the price-point and a good 12MP also. Far far better than the Olympus E-520.
4. The Oly 520 dual lens kit is available for $550 in the US, 36k is wayyy too much to pay.
5. The grip, viewfinder and AF are critical upgrades over a 1000D.

Cheers!
Payne

-D.Payne- said:
@Dark Messiah: In that list, I'd recommend NONE. :D

My option in that price-range is still a Canon EOS 450D with the kitlens, wide enough for landscapes.

Why the Canon 450D?

1. Because it'll mostly satisfy your budget of 30k.

2. It gives you a cheaper route later to buy a Sigma 10-20 for ultra-wide landscapes - Rs.21k. The Olympus equivalent of that focal length with cost a bomb and then more.

3. The best high ISO noise at the price-point and a good 12MP also. Far far better than the Olympus E-520.

4. The Oly 520 dual lens kit is available for $550 in the US, 36k is wayyy too much to pay.

5. The grip, viewfinder and AF are critical upgrades over a 1000D.

Cheers!

Payne

and between these two kits? :p

Sony | Alpha A330 Digital SLR with 18-55mm & | DSLRA330Y

Canon | EOS Rebel XSi (a.k.a. 450D) SLR Digital Camera Kit |

or shud one just get a 500d and lens later on? although the only reason 500d is in the picture is the ability to record HD, not that its something worth talking about but the option exists...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/613613-REG/Canon_3818B002_EOS_Rebel_T1i_Digital.html

both canons come with 50$ MIR

So the a200 is the best option? Its 25k at smartshoppers with one lens.

@Rave: Between the Sony A330 and the Canon 450D, I'd opt for the Canon even though the Sony's Liveview and Tilting Screen are muuuchh better. I feel the 450D is a more serious camera with a much more comfortable grip.

If you can get a Sony A300 for cheap - some were going for $500 during Black Friday - then I'd recommend that over the A330 easily. The A330 is a downgrade compared to the A300 in terms of photography. If you do want the amazing Liveview of Sony, I'd only reco the A500 and A550 onwards, or the old A300 as already stated.

@zhopudey: The A330 in India is 36-39k. Too expensive, honestly. The A200 should come for around 22-23k actually...unless prices went up. You can also look at picking up BF1983's A200. :)

^^ Prices of the A200 went up ! :(

Its 27990 now !

On the bright side I have no qualms of selling mine for 19k now. :)

BF1983 said:
^^ Prices of the A200 went up ! :(

Its 27990 now !

On the bright side I have no qualms of selling mine for 19k now. :)
No don't! I can't buy it just yet :p

Payne, BF1983: Think you guys are doing a good job here, in helping budding photography hobbyist. Am sticking the thread for all future newbie/entry level DSLR queries.

Thanks Aces! :)

Taking this further, here are some tips on 5 cameras around the 700-1000$ mark that will come in everyone's consideration set.

The Sony A550, Sony A500, Nikon D5000, Nikon D90, and Canon 500D.
Sony a550
Pros: In-built body stabilization, 7fps!, Best liveview of the lot with tilting, very high-res quick LV and macro LV as well, high-res screen, same viewfinder as the rest and probably the best sensor in terms of high ISO and MPs (14.6) as well
Cons: No video, low availability of Sony-mount lenses in India and...that's it.

Sony A500
Difference between the A550 and the A500 is the smaller-resolution screen, 12MPs vs 14MPs, and 5fps vs 7fps. Still this is 200$ cheaper and a cracker of a bargain camera.
Nikon D5000
Pros: Great handling champ, tilting LCD though LV itself isn't anywhere close the Sony, great sensor (same as D90), takes video
Cons: No AF motor in-body (lenses more expensive right now), lower-res LCD than both Sony/Canon (230k vs 920k!)

Canon 500D
Pros: FullHD video, high-res screen, great availability of lenses, pretty much has all "features" ticked off, good sensor with 15MPs, most compact as well
Cons: Grip isn't as good as both bodies above, screen doesn't tilt. Liveview implementation is the worst of the lot.

Nikon D90
If you're willing to spend $1050 the D90 is available with Nikkor 18-105 kitlens at Amazon. The D90 is perhaps the only one-of-its-kind right now at that price-point. It takes video, has a large, bright pentaprism viewfinder (a huge difference), gives complete photographic control, shoots at 4.5fps - only slower than the Sony A550's 7fps - and is built well too.
Cons?: I can't think of any, other than non-tilting screen.

As pure still cameras, all the 5 are equally outstanding. If you prefer Liveview, the Sony is by far the best - try it to believe it. If you want great handling, try all of them in real life to make up your mind - I prefer the Sony/Nikon over the Canon. If you want availability of lenses in India, go for either the Canon or Nikon.

Finally, Sony's come a long way to be competing with the big Canikon boys in only 3 years. They still do not give video in their dSLRs but have the best liveview implementation among any DSLR on the planet.

The good thing for us consumers is that we now have solid choice in 3 brands. For us TE folks who know how to procure stuff from the US, Sony is a great option as well. :)

Keep asking more doubts. Pentax and Olympus are also in this race, and the Pentax K-x is a great deal of a camera. Olympus doesn't have the line-up it used nor does it have the affordable ultra-wide abilities of the rest right now.

Cheers!
Payne

the pentax k-x is available with 18-55 & 50-200mm lens kit for 660$ !!!!! .Its a stunning deal ( unfortunately , there's a waiting period). some highlights of the k-x :

superb image quality.

excellent low light performance ( ISO range of 100-12800 , good upto 6400 ISO) .

one of the smallest DSLR's

large viewfinder

HD(720p 24 fps) video capture

HDR in camera!

shutter speed of upto 1/6000

in-body image stabilisation

good kit lens

11 point auto focus

4.7 fps continuous shooting

lots of in camera filters .

ashokraj said:
the pentax k-x is available with 18-55 & 50-200mm lens kit for 660$ !!!!! .Its a stunning deal ( unfortunately , there's a waiting period). some highlights of the k-x :

superb image quality.

excellent low light performance ( ISO range of 100-12800 , good upto 6400 ISO) .

one of the smallest DSLR's

large viewfinder

HD(720p 24 fps) video capture

HDR in camera!

shutter speed of upto 1/6000

in-body image stabilisation

good kit lens

11 point auto focus

4.7 fps continuous shooting

lots of in camera filters .

k-x comes with just the 18-55. The K2000 is for 550 odd with the 50-200 thrown in as well

@Dark Messiah: At that price? The Nikon D5000 wins over the 450D, simply for the video feature and better liveview (operation and tilt-screen). Take it. And don't ask again! :p

@ashokraj: That Pentax K-x is easily the best deal among the entry-level dSLRs right now, my only qualms against it:
- No cheap 50mm prime.
- Choice of lenses is far more limited than Canon/Nikon/Sony
- No AF point illumination in the viewfinder! Yes, its a deal-breaker!
- You won't have many friends with K-mount lenses to swap with. :D

BUT, if you're an enthusiast/starter photog...I'd recommend the Pentax K-x dual-lens kit easily. It's the lightest on the pocket and the most well-featured as well. The highlights are the viewfinder, the video capture, the burst-rate and that wonderful 12MP sensor.

@all: Here's my list of direct competition in different price-points:

$400-600 - Sony A230 dual-kit, Sony A200, Olympus E-520 dual kit, Canon 1000D dual kit, Nikon D3000 dual kit
The Canon and Oly are the best featured here. The Nikon and Canon have best high ISO noise and the Nikon and Sony have best handling out of the set. :D

$600-800 - Pentax K-x dual-lens kit, Canon 450D dual-lens kit, Canon 500D with kitlens only, Nikon D5000 with kitlens only, Sony A500, Sony A330/300
All almost equally well featured, Sony/Canon 450D don't take video.

$800-1100 - Nikon D5000 dual-kit, Canon 500D dual-lens kit, Sony A550, Nikon D90
At this range you can also look at one of the cheaper bodies with a single superzoom lens; like a Sony A300 + Sony 18-250 or Canon 450D + Canon 18-200 or Sigma 18-250.

Cheers!
Payne
PS: I'll put in 2 updates later: micro 4/3rds and Indian prices! :D

ok Now here is what i am getting in india

Canon EOS 500D --- 46.5K

Canon EOS 450D --- 38k

both with bill and standard 2 year canon warranty

i have read that 500D picture quality is not good how true is that ?

has anyone experienced it ?

oh man, Dark messiah needs to conglomerate this info into easier reading, stickies are better that way, otherwise pages after pages of just info running about...and not to mention posters like me who simply make the post longer without any contribution :p

BTW I bought a second hand Nikon D70 for like Rs.15,500. Am a noob at DSLR and just wanted to put my foot in the door. 6MP is more than enough for me.

^ Yeah 6MP is more than enough for normal shooters unless u want to print posters. A good lens though is a must for better photography with any entry level/pro DSLR's Body's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back