Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Agree. But as I see it, D90 costs somewhere around 55K. For the same price you can get, D3100+15-55 AF/VR lense+ Prime 35mm (or 50mm) 1.8F/AF+55-300 AF/VR lense.

^^ Agree. But as I see it, D90 costs somewhere around 55K. For the same price you can get, D3100+15-55 AF/VR lense+ Prime 35mm (or 50mm) 1.8F/AF+55-300 AF/VR lense.
I think its for 51k with the 18-105 VR lens, which gives you a higher focal length then the kit lens (the 18-105mm VR lens itself cost 18-20k). And mate you simply cannot compare the D90 with the D3xxx series of Nikon, the D90 sensor is leagues ahead, it has a penta-prsim viewfinder, once you start taking lot of snaps you will understand the importance of a bigger, and brighter viewfinder. Oh and Af compatibility with all Nikon lenses..
When I had bought my 1000D for 25k, the D90 was 60k. If at that point of time, I had known the difference I would have anyhow begged/borrowed for a D90 :) Maybe on the hind-sight a cheaper body will allow me to get used to the basics, and evaluate what sort of photography do I prefer..

It is time for u too upgrade.....

Aces170 said:
I think its for 51k with the 18-105 VR lens, which gives you a higher focal length then the kit lens (the 18-105mm VR lens itself cost 18-20k). And mate you simply cannot compare the D90 with the D3xxx series of Nikon, the D90 sensor is leagues ahead, it has a penta-prsim viewfinder, once you start taking lot of snaps you will understand the importance of a bigger, and brighter viewfinder. Oh and Af compatibility with all Nikon lenses..

When I had bought my 1000D for 25k, the D90 was 60k. If at that point of time, I had known the difference I would have anyhow begged/borrowed for a D90 :) Maybe on the hind-sight a cheaper body will allow me to get used to the basics, and evaluate what sort of photography do I prefer..

^^ Nope, I do not think I am being limited by the body right now, have a couple of lenses I need to save up for first (Tamron 70-200 f2.8, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 non IS in the order). And if after all this if I have money left maybe an upgrade to a Canon 7D replacement :p

Aces170 said:
^^ Nope, I do not think I am being limited by the body right now, have a couple of lenses I need to save up for first (Tamron 70-200 f2.8, Tokina 11-16 f2.8, Canon 100mm f2.8 non IS in the order). And if after all this if I have money left maybe an upgrade to a Canon 7D replacement :p
You love fast lenses...don't you :D. I also love fast primes...thinking of upgrading to Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM :D

You love fast lenses...don't you . I also love fast primes...thinking of upgrading to Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM

I love fast lenses, have decided no compromises there, am missing the longer focal length atm. The 50mm f1.4mm is the second most sharpest lens I have seen (Canon 100mm L glass being the sharpest I have come across), the 50mm f1.4 is worth every penny, it is razor sharp at f1.8, the bokeh is deliciously creamy, and the USM motor is fast and accurate in low light..

Pranav, you should come to the MWS shoots, you will get to experience all these lenses and bodies in live action :)

Aces170 said:
I love fast lenses, have decided no compromises there, am missing the longer focal length atm. The 50mm f1.4mm is the second most sharpest lens I have seen (Canon 100mm L glass being the sharpest I have come across), the 50mm f1.4 is worth every penny, it is razor sharp at f1.8, the bokeh is deliciously creamy, and the USM motor is fast and accurate in low light..

Pranav, you should come to the MWS shoots, you will get to experience all these lenses and bodies in live action :)

Wow...I was a little hesitant about this lens...but I have made my mind for this lens...I wanted to join MWS shoot this weekend but I couldn't wake up early in morning...Vasai is really far from Navi Mumbai... :D. Will join soon...I would love to see those lenses in action :D

Konquerror said:
You love fast lenses...don't you :D. I also love fast primes...thinking of upgrading to Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM :D
The 50 1.4 is amazing ! The sharpness and bokeh is superb. I love mine and I can easily see myself using it for years to come.

Konquerror said:
Wow...I was a little hesitant about this lens...but I have made my mind for this lens...I wanted to join MWS shoot this weekend but I couldn't wake up early in morning...Vasai is really far from Navi Mumbai... :D. Will join soon...I would love to see those lenses in action :D
Lazy bugger !!! :p

Faheem was trying to come for that shoot. He too stays at Navi Mumbai. But he was unable to find a rickshaw for 30 minutes so he decided to scrap the plan.

Do try and make it next Sundays shoot. You can drag Faheem with you. :)

Btw I too tried the 50mm f1.4 and found it noticeably better than the f1.8 version both in build quality and IQ.

Dear members,looking to do a bit of macro with my 500D. Following are the options i believe i can go for with little budget:
1.close up lenses
2.et
3.lens reversal
Would like to know which one is better of all .currently i am only having kit lens.
Kindly share your views.

Lens reversal will give you the maximum magnification but the worst working distance. Best for dead insects or flowers.

ETs are an expensive option if you use an AF lens.

Close up lenses are the cheapest option but will give you the least magnification unless you stack a lot of diopters and reduce IQ.

For options 1 & 2 a MF lens with an aperture ring is the best bet. You can use manual ETs with a MF lens and save some cash.

@foto gurus...

I need few info mates.

What are these len reversal, Lens extension bracket, and such. what are their uses?

And also during my last shooting out(I seldom click :S). I had few issues. please help this fool

1. I use AF. and try to get animals in cage. obviously the cage's grill gets focused :S.

If i use MF i cant get the sharpness reqd. what to do?

2. Using a prime in above situations helpful?...

3. I use Aperture mode most times.. coz i like the blurry bg. So.. i think i was using low Av values for a distant object.

but all the pic was dark .. S...

4. There are times when the cages insides are dark.. how to get pics.. i tried pumping the ISO and putting the Av to a medium values.

no use. :S.

Please help folks.

thanks brendon for replying.
further, i intend to buy canon 50 mm f1.8.i am not averse to manual focussing but as this does not have aperture ring (point me if i am wrong),does it mean that lens reversal and use of cheaper et's (costing few hundred bucks) is ruled out with it ?
and for close up lenses,how much close can one go with combination of +1,+2&+4 dioptres?

^MF lenses + cheap MF ET's works fine for me, found it better than mf lenses + reversal rings.
You do need a large enough viewfinder though cuz focusing is a b**ch!

m-jeri said:
@foto gurus...

I need few info mates.

What are these len reversal, Lens extension bracket, and such. what are their uses?

And also during my last shooting out(I seldom click :S). I had few issues. please help this fool

1. I use AF. and try to get animals in cage. obviously the cage's grill gets focused :S.
If i use MF i cant get the sharpness reqd. what to do?

2. Using a prime in above situations helpful?...

3. I use Aperture mode most times.. coz i like the blurry bg. So.. i think i was using low Av values for a distant object.
but all the pic was dark .. S...

4. There are times when the cages insides are dark.. how to get pics.. i tried pumping the ISO and putting the Av to a medium values.
no use. :S.

Please help folks.
1. Manually select the AF point
2. Not really, why do you think so?
3. A lower AV (wider aperture) will capture more light, so you are doing right there. Increase the ISO and in manual mode lower the shutter speed.
4. No real solution here, apart from using flash and scaring off the animal.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

You do need a large enough viewfinder though cuz focusing is a b**ch!

Live view FTW, MF is way easier in liveview...

alex001 said:
thanks brendon for replying.

further, i intend to buy canon 50 mm f1.8.i am not averse to manual focussing but as this does not have aperture ring (point me if i am wrong),does it mean that lens reversal and use of cheaper et's (costing few hundred bucks) is ruled out with it ?

and for close up lenses,how much close can one go with combination of +1,+2&+4 dioptres?
If you have a 50mm lens then I suggest magnification diopters only as ETs and reverse rings wont work for the lack of an aperture control.

However do note that you wont be able to get as much magnification as a ET or reverse ring method but you will get AF which is pretty nice. Also do note that with diopter rings the focus range is very limited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back