Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Yeah best if I ignore this thread for a while, keeps making me confused. Is the EOS1000D grip really that bad, since I have never used a DSLR, will it make a huge difference? Also can you explain to me in brief the importance of liveview, I thought you just look at the manual view, and click pictures and check the result on the LCD screen..

Also please advise on this deal:

http://www.techenclave.com/members-market/nikon-d40x-dslr-camera-18-55mm-159404.html

^ I would advise you to personally try out 1000D, though its grip is not as good as D3000 but ain't that bad either. I own a 1000D btw.

I have a 1000D and I love it.

Yes grip is not the best but you are a beginner, right?

1000d/all entry level cams will annoy purists to TBH :).

Try it out, it is not bad at all.

Coupled with good lenses and filters it is true VFM.

Sumchamp, I see you stay at CBD Belapur, where do you work or study? Maybe I can have a look at your camera, or maybe we can have a New Mumbai meet again :)

@Payne - just started using my k-x. I have the m42 to k mount adapter, using it with older 35 and 50 mm primes from an older Asahi Pentax. Very good results, will post some as soon as I get some time.
This camera is excellent at high ISOs, only thing missing, as you pointed out,it's missing confirmation of which AF point is in use. AF confirmation itself is in place for sure.
The kit lenses are quite good as well..just that there's no weather sealing as in the older K20 and 200: NOT that big a deal. Good battery life as well on standard 2500 mAh batteries as well.

^^ What kind of battery life are you getting out the the 2500mAh? Have you tried using Eneloops or Lithium AAs?

Also mention what is your typical shooting style - with/without flash; liveview/optical etc.

This info could greatly help people who are looking at a K-x. :)

And yes, congrats on the K-x!

@blufox, sumchamp: My belief is that there's no such thing as a "bad modern DSLR", they are all darn good. My gripe with the 1000D's grip is that it is much slimmer than its counterparts - even a Canon SX10 or Panasonic FZ35. Of course, I hate the Sony A2xx/3xx as well.

I am far from a purist, considering I look at the Panasonic GF1 as one of my dream cameras currently. :)

Aces170 said:
Hmm I was planning on the EOS1000D, Pappu where are you buying the Pentax from?

i shall use jugaad from the states, if i buy pentax. Gotta read more bout the D3000, 1000D before i buy thought.

@payne, can i see links for AA lithium batteries? :)

cant seem to find them

and from what i read, live view is quite slow on the k-x... i dont plan to use it at all, but i would like to have the option

EDIT :: i see disposable lithium batteries.. that is a big NONO :(

Aces170 said:
^^ Yeah best if I ignore this thread for a while, keeps making me confused. Is the EOS1000D grip really that bad, since I have never used a DSLR, will it make a huge difference? Also can you explain to me in brief the importance of liveview, I thought you just look at the manual view, and click pictures and check the result on the LCD screen..

Also please advise on this deal:
http://www.techenclave.com/members-market/nikon-d40x-dslr-camera-18-55mm-159404.html

Aces : i would say grab the deal being a beginner in DSLR.

And you get hell lot of lens options.

No other camera in VFM category comes so close.

i once used Sony A350 of a cousin, the viewfinder was horrible, i had to keep focussing on it to get the details.

And nikon i have used ANP`s D40 for few shots, and a friend`s D80 and i was as comfortable as P and S.

Being beginner, and in India i would not suggest you to venture out of cannikon lines.

Pentax makes superb DSLRs but support in India is non existant may be being in mumbai will benefit you.

6pack said:
^ amazon most probably. pentax not available here.

Ebay is a better option thanks to BCB.

_pappu_ said:
i shall use jugaad from the states, if i buy pentax. Gotta read more bout the D3000, 1000D before i buy thought.

@payne, can i see links for AA lithium batteries? :)
cant seem to find them

and from what i read, live view is quite slow on the k-x... i dont plan to use it at all, but i would like to have the option

EDIT :: i see disposable lithium batteries.. that is a big NONO :(

The D3000 is my other option. from what I remember D3000 + kit lens if for 400 bucks after BCB. thats a lot cheaper + the larger availability of lenses is a plus as well.

From whatever reviews I've read the K-x and the D3000 are apparently THE BEST cams in the range. The only decision I need to make now is as to how important the liveview is to me

stalker said:
Ebay is a better option thanks to BCB.

The D3000 is my other option. from what I remember D3000 + kit lens if for 400 bucks after BCB. thats a lot cheaper + the larger availability of lenses is a plus as well.

From whatever reviews I've read the K-x and the D3000 are apparently THE BEST cams in the range. The only decision I need to make now is as to how important the liveview is to me

i'm stuck on the same thing... live view :D
let me know what u get , and when do you plan to...
i'll start my process in march... then wait for it to reach me by whatever means i manage

_pappu_ said:
i'm stuck on the same thing... live view :D
let me know what u get , and when do you plan to...
i'll start my process in march... then wait for it to reach me by whatever means i manage

Damn damn damn :(
Tigerdirect just dropped their price :(
It's for 510 - 15% Bing now :(
Must... resist..................

^^but thats only 1 lens aint it ? :|

my mind is now getting filled by all this "canikon if you are in india blah blah" that people said yesterday

^^ Its simple. If you want to buy a new Sony or Pentax lens in India you cant. Olympus is available at astronomical prices.

Canon / Nikon however have lenses in grey market which are similar prices to official US prices. Hence people are suggesting you stick with Nikon/Canon.

I am a Sony user and I have struggled to get nice lenses here in India. :(

^^^Totally agree with BF1983.

Canon/Nikon is the option we have here.

I chose Canon because of their L glasses.

Once i out grow or get bored with my 1000D, I am most probably going full frame.

Lenses are readily available here in India for Canon...and most are comparatively cheaper than their Nikon counterparts.

HTH

ok then, the nikon D3000 it is.

suggestions on where to buy in delhi/online please :)

also, what else does one need to get, along with the camera (and where to get them)

^^ After a lot of research, I have settled on the EOS1000D. The Nikon D3000 lack of AF motor makes future lens upgrade very expesnsive. The only gripe people have against the 1000D is the grip, as suggested by many try it, if you dont mind the grip, the Canon has better features.

Aces170 said:
^^ After a lot of research, I have settled on the EOS1000D. The Nikon D3000 lack of AF motor makes future lens upgrade very expesnsive. The only gripe people have against the 1000D is the grip, as suggested by many try it, if you dont mind the grip, the Canon has better features.

i really cant get my hands on one.. how would i know :S
thanks for confusing me again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back