Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aces170 said:
Hmm, after some reading, going through DPreview, have decided to go for an entry level DSLR. Have narrowed the options to Canon EOS450D and Nikon D3000, so any idea of the pricing of Nikon D3000, the Canon is available for 29K with kit lenses with Mediahome.

What are your opinions, considering the fact I have no expereince in photography apart from the interest in ogling at the wonderful pictures taken in TE as well as a few photo-blog sites :)

Nikon D3000 is a Entry Level Nikon camera which retails for around 26k whereas Canon 450D is a step-up from Canon Entry Level 1000D. Mediahome price is without local bill and warranty price, which retails for 41k with bill and warranty.

So choice is yours.

Good choices ! I would suggest you try out both at Croma. If you like the grip of the 1000D then get that. The 1000D can use an elchepo (for DSLR lenses) 50mm f1.8 lens.

The D3000 cannot use a cheap 50mm lens with autofocus due to the lack of an AF motor in the body. And a 50mm lens is a bread and butter lens for any photographer who likes to control the DOF. You have to spend 16k on the Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF-S to get autofocus.

However the D3000 has a very good grip while the 1000D (IMO) had one of the worst grips on a DSLR EVER !!!

So if the grip works for you, then I suggest the 1000D. :)

And just to shamelessly promote my camera, you can also check out the Sony A200. It sells for 24k. It does not have any major shortcoming other than low availability of lenses in India. But we do have KMD, so its not a major problem. :)

price D3000 was rs/26000 with 18-55mm vr less and canon eos1000d was rs/24000 18-55mm less with two year warranty from company

Price are from Photo Guide fort mumbai

Getting a K-x next month from HK :). Dad has an older Asahi Pentax Spotmatic, with a 35mm prime, 50mm prime and 105mm macro. Would love to use this old glass with a good body

does sony have good service ctentres should you require it, even Nikon for that matter?

i canon has a level 4 service center in Bangalore(already been there a few times, with very good experience).

does Sony have good service centers should you require it, even Nikon for that matter?

i canon has a level 4 service center in Bangalore(already been there a few times, with very good experience).

I had bought canon 500D last month. Now while using it i have seen some scratches developed on the LCD screen. Is there any scratch guard available for cameras. I had searched locally and they say its not available.

Aces170 said:
Just measure the screen size, and buy an appropriate cell phone scratch guard...

I know i can use mobile scratch guard for it but just wanted whether any dedicated scratch available or not.
BTW 500D has 3 inch screen, which mobile screen guard will fit on it.

i jus got a 500d lately , goto a mobile store ( do ur homework prior on which screen of a mobile or camera is 3") , i go ta nikon p90 or summin screen guard and fit perfectly on my cam , luckily i did it well enough that you cant even realise its there , will be happy to answer queries of those who have any on a 500d

Hello ,
I am planning to buy a DSLR soon , budget is 30-35k ... Will not be investing in lens for next 2 years atleast... Actually m getting this instead of Home Theater coz as of now HT will be only used for regular tv content whereas dslr will be used more fruitfully... please suggest best option available ...

Got my K-x! Will post pics later in the day. Makes for a fine alternative to the Canikon sheep out there :p

I kid, I kid!

A total dslr noob planning to get my 1st dslr.

Thinking of getting a Canon EOS 450D or Nikon D3000. Or should I extend my budget and go in for Canon 500D?

A friend might be coming from Canada. The best deal I could find for eos 450d with kit lens was this

Canon EOS Digital Rebel XSi w/EF-S 18-55mm IS f/3.5-5.6 (Black) Digital SLR Camera 2756B004 - Vistek Canada Product Detail

Would cost me roughly 600CAD * 1.13 (sales tax) ~~29.6k INR.

EOS 500D with kit lens would cost another 200 CAD (~~39.5k).

Nikon D3000 with kit lenswill cost me around 500-550 (24.7k-27k)

Or should get it locally or through KMD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back