Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^Go to Canon Lounge in Delhi somewhere.

They almost all models on display.

You can play around with them.

Do get a UV filter and a hood with your lens.

hmm, back and forth back and forth

new question :: best one around 650$ (US prices), though my mind has moved back onto the k-x

any opinions on the nikon d5000/canon 450d (though i think they may cost more)

EDIT :: 500d looks good too, 550$ with the 18-155 lens

Say no to D5000.

Hardware problems, you never know which one lands at your place.

Get a T1i(500D) or 450D instead.

ok, i've come down to the 450d , (so annoying, my changes... i know)

now, suggest a good 8/16gb memory card :)

EDIT :: also, a suitable UV filter (noob alert)

and a case, only one that fits the slr + kit lens for now

followed the thread for a few pages... some points anyone who wants to make a purchase can consider:
-the exposure time and shutter speed options available for the camera... many dSLRs have a limit at one or two minutes, which is very limiting for many techniques of photography
-the interface - check out how many button clicks till you can delete an image, and other such operations. This may seem like a small factor, cumulatively, this makes your battery last longer.
-Have in mind where and how you are going to use the dSLR. It is a bulky piece of equipment, and the lenses are a long time investment. You cannot switch to another company, and another set of lenses without considerable investment again. dSLRs are not suitable for all situations, (eg: indoors at a social event after evening or maneuvering the camera outside the window of a moving vehicle). There are threads on TE explaining this clearly. Basically, unless you go on outings specifically for photography, the cameras are not too great.
-Settle service agreements whenever possible, as the lenses do need regular servicing.

@Pappu,

Get a generic UV filter for now. Ask for it as a free gift from dealer :).

Case is tough to say... unless you tell us what are your future plans?

blufox said:
@Pappu,

Get a generic UV filter for now. Ask for it as a free gift from dealer :).
Case is tough to say... unless you tell us what are your future plans?

i will be getting it online, from the states via a friend, so i have to put it all in the cart and make him do the check out.

I put the 450d in it, and a 8gb sandisk extreme III (may provide alternatives for the same as well)..
now in the uv filters, i see many different sizes, and have no idea what those are.
links from B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders will be ok for me, if you have the time :)

regarding the case, i want 1 for now, which accomodates only the cam + kit lens (a sleeve sort, preferably not very expensive, but good quality)
i can get the locally, or order that online as well.

i think i'llget the bag in india itself. thanks for the help :)

i read a lot bout those filters, and realise now that its just for protection that you guys suggest it. take it off before shooting :p

^ You got it right. UV filters are nothing more than a lens protector. If you plan to shoot more in sunny days, get a C-PL and/or ND filter instead.

But use Lens Hood to protect lens and it also helps you to reduce sun glare when not used along with any filter.

Uriel said:
followed the thread for a few pages... some points anyone who wants to make a purchase can consider:
-the exposure time and shutter speed options available for the camera... many dSLRs have a limit at one or two minutes, which is very limiting for many techniques of photography
-the interface - check out how many button clicks till you can delete an image, and other such operations. This may seem like a small factor, cumulatively, this makes your battery last longer.
-Have in mind where and how you are going to use the dSLR. It is a bulky piece of equipment, and the lenses are a long time investment. You cannot switch to another company, and another set of lenses without considerable investment again. dSLRs are not suitable for all situations, (eg: indoors at a social event after evening or maneuvering the camera outside the window of a moving vehicle). There are threads on TE explaining this clearly. Basically, unless you go on outings specifically for photography, the cameras are not too great.
-Settle service agreements whenever possible, as the lenses do need regular servicing.

1. Maximum exposure time across all DSLRs is the same - all of them have a BULB mode which lets you keep the shutter open for however long you want (1hr or whatever).

2. Good point about the interface, but honestly unless you move up to a Nikon D90+ or Canon 50D+ camera with 2 dials and dedicated custom buttons, the rest are almost the same.

3. Disagree. In fact, indoor at a social event is where a dSLR really shines. You can easily shoot at ISO 1600-3200 with fast lenses and get great shots without using ugly flash. You can strap the camera on to your hand and put it out of a moving window, shoot upside down...do whatever you want.

4. Lenses need regular servicing? :-/ I'd say, a camera sensor needs servicing due to dust, but that can be done at home as well. Plus, I don't know of many lens service agreements.

Yes, DSLRs are bulky...but they give you image quality which beats any compact camera on the planet.

-Guevara- said:
What is the general consensus on the Panasonic Lumix GF1

- If you want a small camera which gives you almost everything that a DSLR can provide, it is a wonderful choice.

- It gives you a very nice screen, EVF choice, is very compact with the 20mm f1.7 lens, great in lowlight, AF is fast enough (faster than Oly EP-1), takes 720p videos and is in general everything I'd want from a compact camera.
- I've been thinking of buying one for a long time now, except that the price is too high ($1000 with 20mm f1.7 lens).

- To me, the only reason to buy an Olympus/Panasonic is micro 4/3rds. I see myself picking up one next year for sure. :)

@blufox: The GF1 is a great camera, and has an amazing support base for the future as well. Look up the stats. :)

Cheers!
Payne

^^ Just to add on to what d_payne said, the GF1 will give you almost everything a DSLR will give you except for speedy autofocus. The AF on micro 4/3rds bodies are not much faster than most compact cameras while even a budget DSLR can autofocus much faster.

@D_Payne and BF1983,

I meant in India it is costly plus Olympus service not good enough afaik. :-/

If you are in US then it will be a different world altogether.

Cu,

EDIT: Looks like you people might wanna take a look at Samsung NX10.

^^ The m4/3rds system currently offers the most cross-compatible and largest lens base of the mini systems.

But the operative word is *currently*.

In around a week's time, Sony's mirrorless NEX system should be upon us, Nikon is rumored to be working on their own version for launch end of this year.

BUT, currently, the GF1 is a smashing buy. Something which is a true 2nd generation device in its own short lifespan so far.

PS: In India, anything other than Canon & Nikon is a service disaster. Yet, we take our chances when we know what we want. ;)

Thank you -D.Payne- for your insight! :)

Upon further investigation i think the Canon EOS 550D is miles better than the GF1 (if the size doesn't matter)

The price of both are also similar. I think the GF1 should be around $100 cheaper.

Code:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/T2I/T2IA.HTM

^^ Thats the whole point of the GF1/GF2 - SIZE !!! Canon/Nikon/Sony/Pentax have NOTHING if you want a compact sized camera with a big sensor and have the ability to change lenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back