Camera All newbie/starter entry level DSLR information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. Can someone tell me if I should buy Nikon d3100 just the body and then go for 55-200mm lens or get the 18-55mm with the body? I am new to SLRs and was using Canon A580 till now. New here too, hoping to learn fast. :)

You will need the kit lens, thats the focal length you would be using 90% of the time... Later on you can save up for the telezoom lens...

Doc Holliday said:
Which is a good DSLR to go from P&S Panasonic FZ35. I am planning to get a used one from HK (lower prices). Is 500D okay?
500D's good.. Check out the Nikon D3100 also..

^^ Most definitely. You cannot compare a small sensor superzoom with a comparatively large sensor DSLR.

Doc Holliday said:
Thanks, will the 500D or the Nikon D3100 (when coupled with Sigma/similar lenses) be significantly better than the FZ35?
Surely it will.. Which type of lenses are you looking forward to??

Hi,

Need some help picking out a decent enough DSLR. Will source it from US, so need recommendations for something I can get around 700-750$(Body). I need HD recording with autofocus, not too bothered about the pixel count as long as it is above 10MP, should hold its own in night photography.Was thinking of avoiding the kit lens and going for a 18-250. Good idea or not? Budget for the lens is ~400$ give or take a few.

I'm not too picky about the brand, willing to consider Pentax etc if they offer better VFM compared to the Sony/Nikons.

Pentax DSLRs dont have AF during movie mode.

For AF during movie mode, the best bet is a Sony A55 camera. It has the fastest AF in movie mode compared to any other DSLR.

It sells for $749 body only so its just within your budget.

Do note however that Sony has no support whatsoever in India even if you are willing to pay for it.

Otherwise you can consider a Nikon D3100 which has a very slow contrast AF in movie mode.

@BF1983 I thought Sony offers 3 years warranty on DSLR in india or do you mean the support for non released models.
BTW even the A33 has AF during movie and its $100 cheaper then A55 but lacks the GPS and is slightly slower takes 7fps vs 10fps for A55.

^^ The A33 has a not too good sensor with less than stellar low light ISO capabilities. The A55 sensor is better in almost every possible aspect.

DxOMark - Compare sensors

And yes I was talking about non supported models. Basically there is no service center in India and any camera failing within the warranty period is simply replaced with a new or a refurbished camera. :(

@TheBellJar - In Sony land you have 3 possibilities for a decent superzoom - Sony 18-250mm, (SAME as Tamron 18-250mm) and Sigma 18-250mm OS HSM.

The Sigma has optical image stabilization so you can see the stabilization effect. The Sigma and Tamron lens is around $450 or so while the Sony is for $550.

The Canon 60D sells for $960 everywhere else so I would say that site is a scam site or there are some hidden charges.

If you forgo AF then there are TONS of options available. But when AF is there why do you want to forgo it ?

If not the Sony, the Nikon 3100 also supports video with AF.

The D90 is a decent camera as well and within your budget.

Hmm, I overlooked the video part. Brendon is spot on the SLT, they are one of the best in class for video. However if video is not the main criteria, the new Pentax K-r is a steal at the prices its available. There are a host of lens available in US, and in India you do get a lot of older gems in the 2nd hand market.

I believe the pentax K-r comes with a samsung sensor .

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

BF1983 said:
^^ The A33 has a not too good sensor with less than stellar low light ISO capabilities. The A55 sensor is better in almost every possible aspect.

DxOMark - Compare sensors

And yes I was talking about non supported models. Basically there is no service center in India and any camera failing within the warranty period is simply replaced with a new or a refurbished camera. :(
Yeah the A33 basicaly shares the same sensor as the NEX.Similar difference between the A55 and A580.

BF1983 said:
If you forgo AF then there are TONS of options available. But when AF is there why do you want to forgo it ?

If not the Sony, the Nikon 3100 also supports video with AF.

The D90 is a decent camera as well and within your budget.
Well, did some more research and apparently the AF in video mode goes haywire while recording, is it so? Secondly, low light photography takes priority over AF in video. That is why if I have to sacrifice one, I'd rather have a better low light sensor.

Comparing Sensors

The D90 does seem to be in a league of its own.

Hmm, I overlooked the video part. Brendon is spot on the SLT, they are one of the best in class for video. However if video is not the main criteria, the new Pentax K-r is a steal at the prices its available. There are a host of lens available in US, and in India you do get a lot of older gems in the 2nd hand market

Pentax K-r isn't that good in low light, is it? According to that site anyway.

@ Adder, If there was physical damage to the Camera, how is the availability of parts etc?

Taking everything into account, the choice seems to be narrowing down to D90, D3100, D5000 and 550D. Any other name that can be thrown in?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back