AMD’s first Zen 5 CPU is the ‘monster’ Ryzen 9 9950X

Pretty lackluster pricing on new range. They need to be realistic and adjust pricing. If they price it right, its high time they can overtake intel on the cpu end. They need to stop being asymptotic and step up to overtake intel. potential is there. their gpu battle is another story altogether.

Saw the reviews and I am disappointed, even though Techpowerup just has reviews for 9700x and 9600x. I was really looking for upgrading to an AMD set-up for the first time in my life.

Saw the reviews and I am disappointed, even though Techpowerup just has reviews for 9700x and 9600x. I was really looking for upgrading to an AMD set-up for the first time in my life.
Don't be disappointed. There are two key factors that many reviews are not stressing on.
  1. Efficiency. The 9700x matches or beats 7700X while consuming up to 40% less power. Bloody 9700x aced Cinebench multi core test and did not even hit 60 degrees while my 5800X hits 90 degrees in few seconds. Compare these chips to 14600K and you will see how good and efficient they are going to be.
  2. Massive overclock headroom. Level1techs and der8auer shows the overclocking potential of the 9700x and 9600x. PBO is going to be massive this time around.
At this point of time, reviews are all over the place and I am suspecting that it is due to BIOS. All reviewers are using X670 based boards and it looks like AMD and board makers do not have the most efficient BIOS update. X870 and B850 will come out in a month and by then they will sort out all inconsistencies with BIOS in X670. The reviewers that say that this is a flop must take a look at themselves in the mirror. These same guys used to salivate over efficiency 'tocks' when Intel used tick-tock cycle (tick for architecture change that bring performance gains, tock for better fabrication tech bringing efficiency gains). The Zen 5 is tock for AMD.

TL;DR: Wait for AMD to iron out BIOS and driver related bugs/issues and take the plunge. These are supremely efficient chips with massive OC headroom.

Yup. Saw a lot of the reviews. It stops sucking if you remove the TDP limitation. But then again it comes under overlclocking.
According to HUB, With PBO enabled 9700X is even more unimpressive, had no significant improvements in Gaming, Single-core Cinebench and some 9% multi-core while consuming as much power as 2 year old 7700X.

Last edited:
Not really true as the video shows with PBO enabled 9700X is even more unimpressive, had no significant improvements in Gaming, Single-core Cinebench and some 9% multi-core while consuming as much power as 2 year old 7700X.
Ooh ok.. this was linus tech tips. Looks like indeed to watch more.

According to HUB, With PBO enabled 9700X is even more unimpressive, had no significant improvements in Gaming, Single-core Cinebench and some 9% multi-core while consuming as much power as 2 year old 7700X.
Some reviews show no improvement while some show decent improvements. Looks like it is depending heavily on mobo. Too early to call out. AMD should have sent mobos too to reviewers or atleast worked with mobo makers to tune high end boards.

Some reviews show no improvement while some show decent improvements. Looks like it is depending heavily on mobo. Too early to call out. AMD should have sent mobos too reviewers or atleast worked with mobile makers to tune high end boards.
This I can get behind. Let wait and watch.

Don't be disappointed. There are two key factors that many reviews are not stressing on.
  1. Efficiency. The 9700x matches or beats 7700X while consuming up to 40% less power. Bloody 9700x aced Cinebench multi core test and did not even hit 60 degrees while my 5800X hits 90 degrees in few seconds. Compare these chips to 14600K and you will see how good and efficient they are going to be.
  2. Massive overclock headroom. Level1techs and der8auer shows the overclocking potential of the 9700x and 9600x. PBO is going to be massive this time around.
At this point of time, reviews are all over the place and I am suspecting that it is due to BIOS. All reviewers are using X670 based boards and it looks like AMD and board makers do not have the most efficient BIOS update. X870 and B850 will come out in a month and by then they will sort out all inconsistencies with BIOS in X670. The reviewers that say that this is a flop must take a look at themselves in the mirror. These same guys used to salivate over efficiency 'tocks' when Intel used tick-tock cycle (tick for architecture change that bring performance gains, tock for better fabrication tech bringing efficiency gains). The Zen 5 is tock for AMD.

TL;DR: Wait for AMD to iron out BIOS and driver related bugs/issues and take the plunge. These are supremely efficient chips with massive OC headroom.
Bhai, watch hardware unboxed.

how easy / hard it is to overclock cpu's on a b650 motherboard?
i am interested in getting a 9950x when it is out. already have a b650 creator mobo but i have not oc'd a processor in 10 years.

i am interested in getting a 9950x when it is out. already have a b650 creator mobo but i have not oc'd a processor in 10 years.
No one knows at this point of time. Wait for experts to release PBO and expo settings that work well for your exact motherboard. You can refer to this article though that has very detailed overclocking and testing https://skatterbencher.com/2024/08/07/skatterbencher-78-ryzen-7-9700x-overclocked-to-5860-mhz/

PS: When you have a 9950X, you do not have to even think of overclocking.

B650 supports all overclocking features out of the box. AMD doesn't gatekeep that stuff like Intel does. VRMs and heatsink on your mobo seem decent enough. You should be good unless you want to go insane.

Sell it now. Attest you will be selling a working CPU. Don't wait til it kicks the bucket :D
Intel gave me 5 years now to kick that bucket.

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

So my 14700 KF is running at 5.5 MHz with 1.42 Voltage. That update is out and going to see how it runs. Current BIOS version is 1202 x64.

Last edited:
That was first video that popped up in my YT subscriptions. It was drama and click bait, with un-ncessary -ve vibe overall. Unsubscribed to that channel.
I completely agreed with it.... they click bait every single thing that will create engagement on the comments like Oled mate or shiny monitors
This thing with amd 9700x and 9600x is just the same.

facts.... amd definitely should gave a little more juice like 20w and 100mhz higher out of the box. that would be still more efficient than last gen and faster all over the benchmarks.... but marketing to push people to next tier of products.... like anybody else on the market now a days

Intel gave me 5 years now to kick that bucket.

Happy Hailee Steinfeld GIF by Pitch Perfect

So my 14700 KF is running at 5.5 MHz with 1.42 Voltage. That update is out and going to see how it runs. Current BIOS version is 1202 x64.
I mean for gaming purposes it going to perform about the same compared to 9950x

For Professional workloads the 7950x is at par with 14700K.. if we BELIEVE AMD's own numbers of IPC increase its still about a gain of 15% compared to 14700KF.

I would have just stuck with the 14700KF and RMA'ed it if required.

Although this is a tock, you got the definition wrong. Tick is for process gains and tock for microarchitecture gains.

Zen 5 has been touted as a new microarchitecture with 16% IPC gains over Zen 4. The node shrink is incidental.

Back