AMD’s first Zen 5 CPU is the ‘monster’ Ryzen 9 9950X

how easy / hard it is to overclock cpu's on a b650 motherboard?
i am interested in getting a 9950x when it is out. already have a b650 creator mobo but i have not oc'd a processor in 10 years.
AMD makes it very easy.. you can set your thermal limit and just give it a negative offset and overclocking is done.

Very easy compared to intel actually.

AMD makes it very easy.. you can set your thermal limit and just give it a negative offset and overclocking is done.

Very easy compared to intel actually.
my 9950x is on the way. can't wait to test it out and do a little bit of OCing. upgrading my work rig from 5950x to 9950x

16-core consumer CPU in 2024, disappointing !!
Satire or?
Saw the reviews and I am disappointed, even though Techpowerup just has reviews for 9700x and 9600x. I was really looking for upgrading to an AMD set-up for the first time in my life.
Well, they can't hit sixers every generation. This was bound to happen, honestly I was expecting 7000s series to be disappointing consider it was on the newer AM5 platform and similar to how Ryzen 1st gen was introduced I assumed it would have been a dumpy ride. So weird to see not the 1st lineup but for the 2nd lineup in AM5 platform to perform average like this.

Guess I'm happy with my 5700X3D on a B450 mobo. Couldn't be any more value for money combo.

Satire or?
Was it ? You tell me.

1724217927104.png

Oh man lol. I mean even Intel aren't doing so good lately. Their performance + effiency core setup is biting them in the ass. I guess AMD lacked in cores just like Nvidia lacks in VRAM.
What even happened to the RISC-V processors that were gonna come out? We really need a 3rd competitor right now.
Amd also shat bed at every given chance.. the image that amd is Consumer friendly is not true. These are for profit companies afterall with shareholders. I have gone with am5 and am4 for the CPU but I also highly rated the 12100f , 12400 and 14700k (aware of the issues but still). On GPU , Nvidia is simply a level above.. their mid and low end suck price wise but if you want the better or best.. that's nvidia GPU atm

Arctic and Noctua are great example of consumer friendly companies.. Noctua offers simply the best air cooling components at premium cost but provides really good support while Arctic offers the best value for money components and still offers one of the best consumer support.

For RISC-V, already out but just initial phase.. also cheaper than nuc and arm but also behind in performance and software stack maturity. Basically at this point, these releases of RISC-V are for developers (as in RISC-V devs) rather than home pc.
These are also few starting to be available in itx form factor mobo with dimm ram slots and nvme/sata slots but very very limited pcie lanes .. some come with soldered ram/storage.. there are also few chinese and cheaper but harder to work with. RISC-V is not a competitor in consumer space at all right now.
It will be a competitor in niche market and OEM market in near future but not right now. Still in very early stage.

Last edited:

AMD responds to Ryzen 9000 performance claims:​

Requires Windows 11 24H2 update

The tests shown in the table were performed at 1080p resolution with ‘High' graphics settings. The reason for the performance gains with Windows 11 24H2 is the inclusion of AMD-specific branch prediction code, enabling better performance all around. However, this version of Windows 11 is currently only available through the Windows Insider Program. Currently, this Windows Update is in the Release Preview Channel, which means Microsoft will be planning to roll it out to all users quite soon. In the meantime, AMD is “collaborating with Microsoft” to try and get these code optimisations pushed out earlier via an optional update in Windows 11.

According to AMD, Zen 5 CPUs will see the biggest upgrade with this Windows update, but Zen 4 and Zen 3 CPUs should also see some improvements.

AMD responds to Ryzen 9000 performance claims:​

Requires Windows 11 24H2 update
If this is indeed the case they should have collaborated with MS earlier to align the new chips release with a windows update and saved themselves a ton of bad press. Performance gains still are not substantial gen to gen to warrant the cost and upgrade. But I think many will sign off on these because of bad first impressions. That ghost will haunt many a purchase decisions. They may find better success in the data centers and server farms.

According to AMD, Zen 5 CPUs will see the biggest upgrade with this Windows update, but Zen 4 and Zen 3 CPUs should also see some improvements.
Big if this is new. Would love to see more improvements (I mean who doesn't).
Amd also shat bed at every given chance.. the image that amd is Consumer friendly is not true. These are for profit companies afterall with shareholders. I have gone with am5 and am4 for the CPU but I also highly rated the 12100f , 12400 and 14700k (aware of the issues but still). On GPU , Nvidia is simply a level above.. their mid and low end suck price wise but if you want the better or best.. that's nvidia GPU atm

Arctic and Noctua are great example of consumer friendly companies.. Noctua offers simply the best air cooling components at premium cost but provides really good support while Arctic offers the best value for money components and still offers one of the best consumer support.

For RISC-V, already out but just initial phase.. also cheaper than nuc and arm but also behind in performance and software stack maturity. Basically at this point, these releases of RISC-V are for developers (as in RISC-V devs) rather than home pc.
These are also few starting to be available in itx form factor mobo with dimm ram slots and nvme/sata slots but very very limited pcie lanes .. some come with soldered ram/storage.. there are also few chinese and cheaper but harder to work with. RISC-V is not a competitor in consumer space at all right now.
It will be a competitor in niche market and OEM market in near future but not right now. Still in very early stage.
I see. I guess RISC-V will be a niche unless some big figure gets it out to the spotlight. Not enough people know about it and the benefits it has (or so I have heard).

So who else is excited for the release this coming week and the next???

I'm considering replacing my current Zen 2 (3970X) PC with a 9950X build which sadly (for me) will be half the cores but I'll double everything else specs-wise.

Will wait a couple of months though, for two reasons, hopefully prices will drop, plus, I'm waiting for any news/rumours of Zen 5 non-pro Threadrippers in which case I'll just wait some more, if not too far out.

Well well well !!! See especially look closely at the linked pic in there about the location LOL.

Now I'm really excited to upgrade my current desktop.

anyone with even a lick of common sense would have realized that after AMD pulled the same bullshit as Nvidia during Covid

AMD has really gotten lazy with their GPU division too, no meaningful upgrades, increased pricing, its as if they are deliberately wanting to be behind Nvidia in the consumer GPU market

Back