CPU/Mobo AMD Bulldozer Discussion Thread

sunny27

Stig's Indian Cousin!!!
Skilled
Oct 7, 2009
Top Gear Test Track
I am extremely bullish about AMD's offerings in the notebook market. I own a HP DM1z fusion ultraportable and its nothing short of a total stunner for the price!

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
sunny27 said:
I am extremely bullish about AMD's offerings in the notebook market. I own a HP DM1z fusion ultraportable and its nothing short of a total stunner for the price!
AT what price you got it?

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
First glimpse of AMD’s new platform

14liibt.jpg

A German site has managed to score a rather interesting snapshot of ECS’ upcoming A75F-A motherboard for AMD’s upcoming Fusion processors.

The picture offers a rare glimpse into AMD’s new Llano platform, which will use the new FM1 socket. The most obvious design change is a new cooler retention mechanism, but new FM1 boards should still be compatible with AM3+ CPU coolers.

The full ATX board is not what we would call impressive, but bear in mind that most Llano parts will be aimed at mainstream users anyway and the main selling point will be value for money rather than enthusiast features. The board packs a single x16 PCIe slot, one x4 slot and two x1 slots, along with three PCI slots. It also features two USB 3.0 ports and six USB 2.0 ports, as well as eSATA, Ethernet, HDMI, DVI and D-sub.

AMD is expected to introduce Llano products in a series of launch events starting in early June. The new platform looks rather promising and we will probably see dozens of affordable ATX and mATX boards in retail by summertime.

ECS Llano board tips up online

Also see this

ECS' A75F-A motherboard gets pictured

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
Something that might interest you guys:

Four Zambezi FX parts detailed

Asus has leaked a few fresh tidbits of information on AMD’s upcoming Bulldozer processors. The company posted a few new specs in a BIOS evaluation chart for one of its new 990FX motherboards.

The list includes two eight-core parts, which were already leaked some time ago.

- The FX-8130P is a 3.8GHz 8 core part and it can overclock to 4.2GHz on turbo. It has a TDP of 125W and should sell for $320.

- The FX-8110 also packs eight cores and it’s clocked at 3.6GHz sans turbo, or 4.0GHz with turbo. The TDP stands at 95W and the price is $290.

Something's telling me, we should be seeing 4GHz 8 cores at 95W from AMD in a few months, man I cant wait. 4.2GHz turbo? Sweet, that puts air OC easily about 5GHz, AMD must be confident with the clocks here.

Asus leaks more Bulldozer specs

rite

Skilled
Apr 27, 2007
Well, even right now X6 has 3.2-3.4 GHz CPUs that too 6 cores. And they can barely catch up with Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz 4 cores.

So when AMD's 20 GHz :p can't compete with Intel's 10 GHz, then there is no reason to be happy about. 4x8 is just 32 GHz, that will probably be about as fast as Intel's 12-15 GHz, or at most as fast a Core i7 2600k. But when Intel comes up with its next gen, it will probably be like 3.5+ GHz x 8, so AMD is screwed yet again.

zopeon

Disciple
Sep 10, 2009
The leaked benches do show BD is competitive against i72600K so your comment may be true for phenoms but will not hold for BD n abt intel next processor's only time will tell! But as of now BD seems very competitive and AMD dosnt target performance but rather price-performance so it still holds good for them.

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
So when AMD's 20 GHz can't compete with Intel's 10 GHz, then there is no reason to be happy about. 4x8 is just 32 GHz, that will probably be about as fast as Intel's 12-15 GHz,

Lol my athlon II X4 2.6GHz is not a 2.6x4=10.4Ghz processor, please lose this wrong notion...

OverlorD

Adept
Mar 1, 2010
Airoli
Hmm...

So when AMD's 20 GHz can't compete with Intel's 10 GHz, then there is no reason to be happy about. 4x8 is just 32 GHz, that will probably be about as fast as Intel's 12-15 GHz, or at most as fast a Core i7 2600k. But when Intel comes up with its next gen, it will probably be like 3.5+ GHz x 8, so AMD is screwed yet again.

If someone OC'ed my 550BE to 4Ghz does it make it better than quad core with clock speed with 1.6Ghz?

Because: 2x4>4x1.6. :p

Cool!

Sackboy

Disciple
Feb 23, 2011
rite said:
Well, even right now X6 has 3.2-3.4 GHz CPUs that too 6 cores. And they can barely catch up with Intel Core i7 920 2.66 GHz 4 cores.

So when AMD's 20 GHz :p can't compete with Intel's 10 GHz, then there is no reason to be happy about. 4x8 is just 32 GHz, that will probably be about as fast as Intel's 12-15 GHz, or at most as fast a Core i7 2600k. But when Intel comes up with its next gen, it will probably be like 3.5+ GHz x 8, so AMD is screwed yet again.

Multiplying does not give you speeds , SERIOUS PHAIL !

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
AMD introduces new G-series embedded APUs

TDPs starting at just 5.5 watts

AMD has launched two new embedded G-series APUs, with impressive 5.5W and 6.4W TDPs. The processors have a 39 percent lower energy footprint than their predecessors and they are based on the Bobcat core.

The T40E is a dual-core clocked at 1GHz, with 1MB of L2 cache and HD 6250 graphics. It supports LVDDR3-1066 memory and has a 6.4W TDP. It loosely resembles a low-power variant of the C-50 APU used in Acer’s Iconia W500 tablet.

The T40R is a single core 1GHz part, with a 5.5W TDP. The graphics and memory controller are the same as in the dual-core T40E.

Thanks to the low TDPs, the new processors can be used without active cooling. Interestingly, Axiomtek has introduced a Pico-ITX motherboard based on T40 parts, which is quite impressive for a dual-core processor with DX11 capable graphics.

comp@ddict

Skilled
Apr 25, 2009
Manipal
about.me
MAGNeT said:

TDPs starting at just 5.5 watts

AMD has launched two new embedded G-series APUs, with impressive 5.5W and 6.4W TDPs. The processors have a 39 percent lower energy footprint than their predecessors and they are based on the Bobcat core.

The T40E is a dual-core clocked at 1GHz, with 1MB of L2 cache and HD 6250 graphics. It supports LVDDR3-1066 memory and has a 6.4W TDP. It loosely resembles a low-power variant of the C-50 APU used in Acer’s Iconia W500 tablet.

The T40R is a single core 1GHz part, with a 5.5W TDP. The graphics and memory controller are the same as in the dual-core T40E.

Thanks to the low TDPs, the new processors can be used without active cooling. Interestingly, Axiomtek has introduced a Pico-ITX motherboard based on T40 parts, which is quite impressive for a dual-core processor with DX11 capable graphics.

umm this is the BULLDOZER thread.....

muzux2 said:
AMD BD Architecture sneak preview

Google Translate
Hmm, architecture depending on clock speed, well isn't this a bit similar to Intel's netburst(remember Pentium 4?), so that explains the 3.8GHz 8-core processor as the launch(I think AMD will hit 4.4GHz stock clocks in 2 quarters)

muzux2

ex-Mod
May 18, 2008
Srinagar
^ Base frequency of 3.6/3.8Ghz is possible for FX 8130P at launch with Turbo core reaching up to 4.1/4.3 Ghz (500Mhz boost on all cores). It indeed reminds of P4 flashbacks but again with AMD K10.5 architecture we have seen base clocks as high as 3.6Ghz despite being made on 45nm process node. BD will take one step further since it is being made on 32nm and the new process node will allow more higher clocks and lower TDP.

rite

Skilled
Apr 27, 2007
I know that 2x5 != really equal to 10. But current dual and quad cores often have a 100% linear increase with the cores. So many times a Core 2 Duo 1 GHz is like a Core 2 Solo 2GHz other things constant, at least for many theoritical benchmarks, or at least close.

And considering such things in mind, BD can only compete with Core i7 2600k, neck to neck. It CAN NOT beat it hands down by a want-to-upgrade-most-definitely margin. And at the same price point, there won't be many takers except with relatively old hardware. And as soon as Intel releases its new hardware, even the lamest of guys know that it will be at least 10-30% faster than the current stock and they will completely crush BD around the $200-300 mark. I am basically talking of Ivy League. And till then BD isn't really going to give 2600k a run for its money, it will just compare. And when AMD = Intel, people prefer Intel. Also, have we forgotten about SB-E?

Crazy_Eddy

Staff member
Super Mod
Feb 7, 2005
OverlorD said:
If someone OC'ed my 550BE to 4Ghz does it make it better than quad core with clock speed with 1.6Ghz?

Because: 2x4>4x1.6. :p

Actually in your case it will.

Its the other way round that isn't true. This is mostly down to the fact that most programs can't equally split their work across multiple cores. Which is also why, while rite is theoretically right, he's practically wrong :p

MAGNeT

Skilled
May 4, 2005
AMD Bulldozer, Llano prices hit the web

AMD has started shipping its Llano APUs to notebook clients and will begin to market the APUs to channels in July 2011, according to sources from notebook makers.

AMD targets to ship one million notebook-use Llano APUs in June, 1.5 million in July, and a total of 8-9 million for the whole of 2011, revealed the sources, citing AMD's internal estimates. If the shipment goals are realized, AMD will be able to boost its share in the notebook CPU segment to 15% by the end of the year, the sources commented.

Additionally, AMD will also launch six Llano and four Bulldozer APUs for desktops.

http://www.guru3d.com/imageview.php?image=30738
AMD Bulldozer, Llano prices hit the web

Hades.

Skilled
Aug 23, 2010
BAD NEWS:

AMD Bulldozer Retail Availability Postponed to Q3 2011 – Report:(

Source: AMD Bulldozer Retail Availability Postponed to Q3 2011 ? Report - Softpedia

Keenly awaited by many computer enthusiasts, AMD's first desktop Bulldozer processors won't reach retail until the third quarter of 2011, even though the Sunnyvale-based company plans to officially unveil them in early June.

Previous reports have suggested that the Bulldozer announcement that is scheduled to take place on June 11 will be quickly followed by retail availability (June 20-24), but the recent report comes to dismiss these claims.

According to some Taiwanese motherboard makers that have talked to the Sweclockers publication, AMD is not yet ready to launch the FX-series processors into retail and the soon-to-be-released 900-series AM3+ boards will most probably be sold without any Bulldozer processors in sight.

The motherboard makers also stated that, although their solutions are ready for launch, engineers still don't have access to production Bulldozer processors and have to rely on scaled-down and locked engineering samples and on older Phenom II CPUs to test their boards.

As a result, some motherboard makers are even considering postponing the launch of their 900-series products until this situation clarifies, as selling such boards without any FX-series chips could prove to be rather difficult.

This report also seems to be confirmed by a Bulldozer architecture preview, recently posted by the Chinese Expreview website.

As Sweclockers points out, an August or September launch will put AMD's processors dangerously close to the release date of Sandy Bridge-E, which could end up stealing Bulldozer's limelight.

Bulldozer is the name of AMD's next-generation high-performance architecture which will be based on a modular design that was developed in order to eliminate the redundancies found in multi-core architectures.

AMD's first batch of processors will include four chips built on the desktop Zambezi core that will feature eight, six or four processing cores. The fastest processor is the octo-core FX-8130P which has a base frequency of 3.8GHz and a maximum Turbo clock of 4.2GHz.