CPU/Mobo AMD Phenom/Phenom II Club

mind blowing stuff....but dude be careful what are the load temps. BTW why is core temp showing the wrong clocks??? Or am I missing something here?

Guyz,

What temps you are getting with Phenom II Processors with stock heat-sink ?

I am interested to upgrade but afraid about 'heating'. I don't have AC in my house.

^^Don't be absurd your talks remind me of uninformed PC vendors.. All new processor runs cool..

I get 35*C normal with SCCF and with AMD stock coolers are way better and keep processor cooll..

Hey Iosoft I really lost you there for a bit......no you dont need an AC to run these proccys...the last time I remember using an AC for a computer was when we had a mainframe installed in our office, that was sometime in 1984-85 and thats the time that AC's were requried to keep the room dust free and cool. Our school comp lab was the only room that had an AC.....that was way back in the early 90's.....lol

mav2000 said:
mind blowing stuff....but dude be careful what are the load temps. BTW why is core temp showing the wrong clocks??? Or am I missing something here?

ya the core temp was showing wrong speeds..even i was wondering y:S

any other software to check temps:huh:

Dark Star said:
^

Do some stability test for 3hrs on OCCT asap..

wats on OCCT:ashamed:

Me a noobie to OC...just upped the volt and also the multipier..hope thats the way to to do it:ashamed:

welcome Zblue...but why everything at stock. At stock vcore you can easily run this proccy at 3.2 with no overheating issues at all.

hey i right now own a PHENOM2 x3 720 and a ASUS M3A78-EM
i have not starting over clocking yet but the stock is itself 2.8,
anyways i just want to join da club mav!!

My Config:

AMD Phenom II X3 720 Black Edition Quad Core Processor @ 3.04Ghz (14.5x210)

2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 RAM

Biostar TA-790GX 128M Motherboard

ATI Radeon HD 4850

CPU-Z Validator Forum Image:

I have a problem though. No software reads my CPU temps. Also, AMD Overdrive can overclock the processor, but it goes back to BIOS settings after restart.

Screenie:

coretemps.jpg

I've built exactly the same rig (and I mean EXACTLY) and he's not facing issues with reading the core temps.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention, the Biostar Hardware monitor that shows up after POST shows the core temps. So the temp sensors are active and working, just not working in Windows. Additionally, the 'Board Status' tab in Overdrive also shows temps of each core. WTH is going on!

Ok to start with your question, if 4 cores are enabled, the AOD or any other monitoring device that I have used will not show the right temps for the 4 cores. Only the cpu temps will be fine. With 3 cores it will show the rite temps so thats pretty normal, dont worry abt it.

Are u using an aftermarket cooler. If you are try for 3.4. You could get to 3.2-3.3 on stock volts and 3.4 at around 1.375-1.425. Cheers and welcome.

In other news the 955BE has broke the WC for a quadcore overclock at 6.5 Ghz, under LN2. This has got to be great news for AMD and the OC community at large. The 955BE is running the core i7 pretty close and trashes it in OC results and benches.

@hybrid, welcome to the club, have been travelling a lot for the last week so will add the names for OC and club members as soon as I get home.

Some additions to the rig. I got a set of mosfet heatsinks and a new xigmatek fan. The xigmatek is ok, but I think the mosfet heatsinks are helping with keeping the voltage regulators cooler. I can feel quite a bit of heat when i touch them and shows that they are doing their work. If anyone is interested I can put in some pics....I am currently running 4 cores stable at 3.5 Ghz. Lets c how it goes.

Thanks for the tip regarding the temps. Had me a little worried. And to add to that, my friend's rig is running 3 cores, not four. That explains how he gets the temps. In that case then, are the temps shown on the board status tab a reliable guide when overclocking?

I'm using the stock heatsink. 4 cores running stable at 3.16Ghz (Poked the multiplier up from 14.5 to 15), and undervolted to 1.3125V. Pretty impressive I must say. A 10% OC with a slight undervolt!

Edit: What about AOD? Like I said, any OC that I give the processor from AOD only remains active till the next restart. After a restart, it reverts to the BIOS settings.

^^You not need to overvolt upto 400Mhz OC in case of Phenom II.. You can hit stable OC with default clock unless cheap AM2+ board automatically overvolt it :p

Latest version of AOD is here...just playing around with it...looks quite nice but has many nwe features for the AM3 boards. BTW any good AM3 boards out there and what do they cost?

Dark Star said:
^^You not need to overvolt upto 400Mhz OC in case of Phenom II.. You can hit stable OC with default clock unless cheap AM2+ board automatically overvolt it :p

I've undervolted, not overvolted... Didn't get why that was directed to me?

Someone please add me to the club.

My config:

Phenom II 940 Black Edition 3 Ghz, OC'ed to 3.45 Ghz running at 38 degrees C.

Transcend 800 MHz DDR 2 , 4GB

Biostar 790GX 128M

Western Digital Caviar Green 500 GB x 2

LG DVD Writer

Corsair VX450

CoolerMaster CM690 Nvidia Edition

Amigo 120 mm x 5 fans.

Benq 2200HD

Creative Inspire 5200

CPUZ screenie

cpuzscreenshotn.jpg

FSB @ 265, memory running at 1060 5-5-5-18 stock volts. NB at 2651 stock volts. Just wanted to chare it with you guys. BTW its all 4 cores. Not prime stable but certainly 3dmark stable...lol

3dmv9.jpg

Back