Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Android G1 Thread

^^ As far as I know rooting gives you Admin rights over the entire phone, so I would assume yes. I have heard of some guys at xda rooting and making them work with ATT but I am not entirely sure of the process but it would be a good place to check.

Got a G1, going to root it (Phone is with CRC1). Which ROM do you advice for the update after rooting the phone?

gmano said:
Got a G1, going to root it (Phone is with CRC1). Which ROM do you advice for the update after rooting the phone?

I have been mostly been using Cyanogen's mods on XDA, I have the Recovery 1.4 and I am on Cyanogen v3.9.2 ROM.

I will try and post some useful apps in a bit when I have a little more time, but if you are into games.... Retro Defense is a must and you can download a free version from the Market which is awesome. I had to break down and buy the full version after a while... it's just too good :p

@montyseth I am in the USA so I can't answer you question ;)

Thanks. I have rooted the phone and using it with Cyanogen's Mod.

Can you suggest some good and useful applications?

I have downloaded some and using it. I am loving this phone :p. I have used lot of phones, I have never liked them not more than a couple of days, this phone is really nice.

Some apps I use: The beauty being that a G1 rooted user never runs out of space for apps as they can run apps from SD card :p

Barcode Scanner:- scans all types of barcodes even the ones on the google page for product searche. You can use it to scan apps on cyrket.com's app database and it will take you to the Market App Download page.

Aloqua:Helps find local places via GPS

Backup for Root: Duh!

FBReader: A nice book reader

Google Voice: Dials Long Distance through my GV account/Visual Voicemail etc....

Gscript Lite: Tool for running Linux scripts

Linda File Manager: A good File Manager

Advanced Task Manager: Task Manager.. can kill apps if you need to, and lists system apps.

Locale: Setup conditions for your phone based on location. ie.. have it tun the sound off when you get to work.

LukLuk: Streaming movies of the Internet.

Oi File Manager: another good File manager

Owner: Lets you add owner info to the lock screen.

Qik: Stream live viseo to your user account like a web cam that others can watch, or save video for later.

Repligo (pdf) Reader: A very good reader, but I paid 7.99 for this one :p

Sporty Pal: Helps track calories burnt during exercise like walking biking etc... Gives you a graph of speed/calories and also maps out your route via gps.

SUFBS: Another File Manager, but one that lets you mount/remount sytem partitions and reads EXT2/3/4 system filesto edit files. I paid for this one too.

Swapper: Setsup a swap drive using your flash memory card.

TuneWiki: Organize, play your Music Library, and download cover Art.

USA Today: Duh!

Weahter Bug: A nice weather app and Widget too.

Wireless Teather: Tether you Laptop to your G1 Data connection.

Thanks for the list of applications, most of the applications I am already using :D

When I first started the phone I had to struggle to find a proper gprs settings for the Vodafone, Chennai. I am posting the working settings for the benefit of others who may get G1 or any other android phone

Vodafone packet data

Name : vodafone_gprs

APN : poralnmms

Proxy : 10.10.1.100

Port : 9401

above setting allows browsing only in the phone and few sites are restricted (mostly gmail and the likes, other than this you can browse almost all the sites in phone, no downloading)

May its possible to configure the mail client with this proxy with any work around?

Vodafone Mobile office

Name : vodafone_live

APN : www

This is for gprs/edge, mail client works in this settings. you can access the android market and download. This is a open connection.

@PixelPusher: Could you please post all the interesting links that you know related to Android and/or G1? Apart from the ones in the first post i.e.

^^ Here is quick random list, I will try to add some more details late... not much time atm

Duke Nukem 3d for G1 (Using the Free Doom off Market) - xda-developers

[HOW TO] Manuals for creating a theme - xda-developers

All Dream Themes (2/8/09) - xda-developers

Cyrket

Android-DLs Home - Android Games, Apps, News, Hacks, Forums, Wiki

Swapper [0.1.3] - tool for creating and using swap - xda-developers

GScript * Easily launch/save shell scripts from within Android UI * - Useful scripts - Page 7 - xda-developers

ADB - Android Wiki

***Making Your Own EQ Settings!!! **UPDATE: PRE-MADE SETTINGS**

Increase max volume. ***PRE-DONE BUILDS NOW AVALIABLE*** - xda-developers

Installing Debian + Gnome, KDE, IceWM or LXDE Desktop on your rooted G1! - xda-developers

Android Tapp. Android App Reviews & Showcase Just a Tapp Away

Google Android page

Android Phone

[Android Central]

Android and Me

Google Android Apps & G1 Phone Tips News & Info

http://androidmesh.com/

Android Unleashed: Tips and Tricks

Android Authority: Google Android Smartphone News and Reviews

OTA Updates - AndroidWiki

JesusFreke’s AndBlog

cyanogen roms

Helpful Thread / Build Round up - Read before clicking "New Thread" [05/29]

Android ROM Build Information

SPLs for Dream (G1Orig, Engineering & HardSPL) [updated 1/4/09]

HTC Hero G3 Rom: News

Debian On Android Installer V2.1

Android Blogging Network

is it possible to do aliases with busybox? - xda-developers

live-android - Google Code

EW version Debian on Android Installer! - AndroidFanatic Community Forums

Jaunty + LXDE on Android « Paolo Sammicheli’s Blog

how to compile custom rom from source android - Google Search

Recompile and overwrite applications in system/app - Page 2 - xda-developers

smali - Project Hosting on Google Code

cyanogen's Profile - GitHub

Compiling for Android - Android Wiki

Get source ‎(Android Open Source Project)‎

How-to Work With Android Source Code

Android programming

How to Install the Android SDK on Windows XP

XML to binary XML? - xda-developers

System animation XML - xda-developers

How To Guides - GetYourDroidOn

Johan de Koning » Building Android 1.5 – Build environment

Main Page - Android Wiki

cyanogen-updater - Project Hosting on Google Code

Learning to Develop on Android - xda-developers

A guide to develop Android applications - Google Search

Android Getting Started

@Gmano: How did you manage to unlock your G1 ?

Anyone knows how to unlock a G1 for free ?

How can I check which firmware I am on ? I cannot get through to the Settings app because my phone is still locked. It is stuck at "Register a google account"

Pat said:
How can I check which firmware I am on ? I cannot get through to the Settings app because my phone is still locked. It is stuck at "Register a google account"

You need to have a active gprs connection to get into the phone.

get the gprs settings from your mobile operator and set up your APN by pressing the menu button and add APN. Then enter your gmail id and password, if you already got one or else register for one. Once you are logged into your google account, you can access the phone.

^^I cant do that since my phone is still locked to T-Mobile. Any workarounds to try and register google account via wifi ?

Pat said:
^^I cant do that since my phone is still locked to T-Mobile. Any workarounds to try and register google account via wifi ?

Apparently there is a way to activate via wifi. But you need a rooted phone ( or running RC29 pr RC7 for UK based phones) for it to work.

You can get the DREAIMG.nbh file here:

http://getyourdroidon.com/root/DREAIMG-RC29.zip

In the guide the guy says to put file on SD card thru phone, but you can use a card reader instead and put the DREAIMG.nbh file on the SD card. Then continue with the flashing procedure as in the URL given below. Just follow it till the part where it says 'Once you are running RC29 firmware:' . Then follow on to the part about activating using WiFi.

CoolPsTut's Blog: All Download Links

CoolPsTut's Blog: How To Mod/ Root/ JailBreak Your G1

http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=Root_For_RC30

^^ The above page also has procedure to downgrade to RC29.

Then use this procedure to activate using WiFi

Check google acct activation via wifi on a G1 - Android Community Forums

Another way if you have an airtel SIM. Says how to enter GPRS settings. The actual settings for Airtel GPRS can be found in the second link.

http://www.modmygphone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=281

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=550673

All the best!!:hap2:

My G1 should be arriving tomorrow :clap:. Its a brand new one so I will have to unlock it. .. Can't wait to get my paws on it. Don't know how I will sit through class at college the whole day tomorrow, just thinking of the courier coming!! :no:

Got my phone today. Unlock went without a hitch ( got from ebay for $12.93 ).

But the damn activation is where I am stuck !!

I tried using the Airtel settings from the site above but no luck. I have clled up Airtel CC to activate MO on my sim. Still waiting :( ..

And my router was just ordered thru KMD. Will take at least a week to get here. So no luck using WiFi right now.

junkiedogg said:
Got my phone today. Unlock went without a hitch ( got from ebay for $12.93 ).

But the damn activation is where I am stuck !!

I tried using the Airtel settings from the site above but no luck. I have clled up Airtel CC to activate MO on my sim. Still waiting :( ..

And my router was just ordered thru KMD. Will take at least a week to get here. So no luck using WiFi right now.

where how and for howmuch did you get it for? PM me if you dont wanna post in public please hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back