Android Mobile Phone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cant wait for the android phones to be within my reach. their current price point is too much for me. hopefully they should be available within 12k sometime in coming years, i hope.

I think the cliq and the G1 are likely to drop in price quite a bit over the next 6 months as more Android phones are released.

BTW... there has already been a dump of 2.0 on XDA and some devs are already starting to take up the challenge :D

Ok so XDA Devs have ported Google Navigation in the new maps app from the Motorola Droid (Android 2.0) to the G1 and other phones. This is currently only working in the US but there is a thread to re-develop it for elsewhere.

I tested it and it is awesome turn by turn directions tied into Google maps and also Street view... crazy cool :)

Btw is it possible to make VOIP calls for skype using this?

I have quie a few ppl in my skype list and would want to call their skype ids using wifi, possible yet?

I think there is a skype app out there.. I remember seeing an article about it. I think you could also check out check out something like a sip app or guava.

PiXeLpUsHeR said:
I think there is a skype app out there.. I remember seeing an article about it. I think you could also check out check out something like a sip app or guava.

the skype lite uses phone credit to route calls to your phone, not very usefull

ive installed sipdroid but absolutely no clue as to how to configure it esp with skype as they use their own protocol, so would need a relay service of sorts..

I guess ill just wait for Fringe to launch

also, is it possible to make data calls via gtalk or yahoo messenger? default gtalk and ym client doesnt not allow it.

Hey I was wondering if we buy an Android phone and a newer version of the OS comes out are we allowed to upgrade our phone to the new version from the phone provider (say for e.g. if I got a DROID from Motorola and want them to upgrade the OS on my phone a year later)?

Boot_Comp said:
Hey I was wondering if we buy an Android phone and a newer version of the OS comes out are we allowed to upgrade our phone to the new version from the phone provider (say for e.g. if I got a DROID from Motorola and want them to upgrade the OS on my phone a year later)?

Answer is YES

Re: Android G1 Thread

Hello Gmano,

Nice to see u had a G1 unlocked and able to use it in chennai with vodafone service. I recently brought a G1 unlocked from T-Mobile. No luck in passing through the main page account creation Page. I am using vodafone. can u please help me out with the settings that need to be done. I have used ur settings still no luck .. Is that something i need to delete all the remaining APNS came default with T-Mobile

Ur help will be greatly appreciated..

Thanks for ur help in advance :)

--- Pavan

gmano said:
Thanks for the list of applications, most of the applications I am already using :D

When I first started the phone I had to struggle to find a proper gprs settings for the Vodafone, Chennai. I am posting the working settings for the benefit of others who may get G1 or any other android phone

Vodafone packet data

Name : vodafone_gprs
APN : poralnmms
Proxy : 10.10.1.100
Port : 9401

above setting allows browsing only in the phone and few sites are restricted (mostly gmail and the likes, other than this you can browse almost all the sites in phone, no downloading)
May its possible to configure the mail client with this proxy with any work around?

Vodafone Mobile office

Name : vodafone_live
APN : www

This is for gprs/edge, mail client works in this settings. you can access the android market and download. This is a open connection.

^^

I hope you activated the GPRS in your mobile connection by calling the vodafone.

Are you using the vodafone mobile office settings? with pocket data settings, you can not access the gmail account (its blocked by vodafone).

Re: Android G1 Thread

You first need to delete all the APNs which came by default.

Then reboot and add two new APNs vodafone packet data and vodafone mobile office.

I was able to use gprs on G1 but no googl services or any https websites.

there is a way to activate via wifi if you have access to wifi.

here is the link.
Code:
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f7/google-acct-activation-via-wifi-on-a-g1-13237/

Thanks a LOT Living_Sword! Finally activated and also got pass that pesky google sign up (no internet over here.. at least for me)

Just in case anybody else's reading this.. To save you guys from hours of frustration like I did.. Follow EXACTLY these steps... It'll WORK!
(Only for RC29/RC7 or lower though.. And you'll need Wifi access)

1. First.. Check whether you actually have RC29/RC7 or lower or not.. To do that type this on the G1 Keyboard..

<enter>reboot<enter>

If the phone reboot that congratz! You have the old version! What happened is that when you type in RC29/RC7 and lower models you're also typing into the hidden shell (something like command prompt, correct me if I'm wrong) "behing the scenes". So when you type "reboot" and press <enter>, the shell will run your command.

If you got the later models.. Then you might want to follow this method instead.. But if you really don't have internet access without Wifi.. you'll need to downgrade first

2. Now you need to set up Android Debug Bridge (ADB) which'll allow you to control your g1 phone console (something like command prompt - msdos) and have root access to it as well

3. Assuming you're using windows.. Download this Windows USB driver. Extract. Mac users don't need to do anything.. For Linux users you might want to go to the wiki..

4. Then.. Download this small zip (for windows). If you're on other platforms then download the Android SDK. Unzip the files to a folder and add its location to the PATH environment variable.

eg: So if you extracted the files on step 4 to "C:/mysuperfolder/android" then you should add "C:/mysuperfolder/android" to the PATH environment variable

5. Follow these steps on how to do that:
Windows
Mac OS X
Linux

5. Done? Now get the usb wire and connect your G1 to your PC

Okay so this is the part that gave me a lot of headache and confusion so read this carefully.
6. Now type this on your G1 keyboard..

<enter>setprop persist.service.adb.enable 1<enter>

7. Now.. Open the command prompt on your PC ( Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt )

8. Type "adb shell" without the quotes.
(Just in case typing that doesn't do anything.. Navigate to the folder you've unzipped the ADB Files and type there instead)

9. Then when the '$' comes out .. type this:

am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.android.settings/.Settings

9. Take a look at your G1 and now it'll be in the WiFi settings section. Configure it.. Connect to your network.. And done!

Hope this helps.. and Good luck
i got my account activated that way only.
thereafter changed to cyanogen mod.

I have HTC Magic (Cupcake 1.6). Its Vodafone branded (possibly UK version) and has Android market. I would love to flash a Hero ROM on it. Any ideas guys? Is there any foolproof way?

Thanks in advance!!!

Hey PixelPusher!

I am really interested in the Moto Droid and most probably will be getting it when I land in the US in a few days. Now latest news is that it can be rooted.

Tell me, is that good news? I understand that rooting is akin to jailbreaking in the iPods and iPhones, but what benefits does it actually confer?

Should this bit of news firm my resolve to get the Droid?

phoenix844884 said:
Hey PixelPusher!

I am really interested in the Moto Droid and most probably will be getting it when I land in the US in a few days. Now latest news is that it can be rooted.

Tell me, is that good news? I understand that rooting is akin to jailbreaking in the iPods and iPhones, but what benefits does it actually confer?

Should this bit of news firm my resolve to get the Droid?

its just few hours that Moto Droid has been rooted.

Still its primitive stage and it can be accessed by ADB only.

YOu can not install any apps still and still there is time for custom Recovery images and ROMs to appear.

If you are noob entering the android world then wait for complete development.

And this root can not be applied to GSM version of Droid.

Hello everyone, I want to know about the HTC tattoo android based phone.
Does it support Java applications? How is the image quality? Can we read PDF and doc using this phone? What about availability of software for this phone in future(Heard that because of the low resolution, apps for the phone will be difficult to get)? Will it support to update OS in future? How is the battery?

I am getting started with modding my G1 after owning it for like 2-3 months :p

I am on 1.6 currently. Any pointers on the best/easiest way to root and install Cyanogen ROMs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back