Budget Above 40k Android phone needed, priority - camera, updates.

Hi all.

I currently daily drive a OnePlus 7 Pro. I have had this phone for more than 3 years and absolutely love everything about it, specially the screen but lately it has started showing signs of aging. Battery backup has significantly reduced. There is some sluggishness overall and Camera & Gallery apps have started lagging a lot. Nothing a battery swap & factory reset won't fix though.

I was lowkey looking for a phone but nothing could satisfy all my requirements. Today I read here that Samsung S21 FE is going for 32k (very VFM according to me) after ICICI discount and I'm tempted to say the least. Hence I'm making this therad to clear some of my doubts.

1. Budget?
A: Upto ₹50k but should be VFM and should last long.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 6" or more OLED (preferred) bright panel (~800nits), Refresh rate and Resolution are adequate on almost all the phones these days.

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, etc).
A: Android 12/13 with atleast 3/2 OS updates (Company should have a good past record of timely updates.)

4. Preferred connectivity options?
A: 4G, 5G would be an added advantage but IDC about 5G.

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
Likes: Stock or near stock Android with useful features added. (Like old OnePlus, Motorola, etc.)
Dislike: Any brand that displays Ads in the interface, has bloats installed, has not so useful UI or heavy UI elements, doesn't release timely updates.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera, Messaging. No gaming or any kind of CPU-GPU taxing apps at all.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Online.

9. Any other requirements?
A: First requirement is camera, after that bettery life.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Not really. Maybe Samsung Galaxy S21 FE. Motorola Edge 30 Fusion/Ultra.

A little extra-
I have used OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 7 Pro in the past. I prefer to stay close to stock android with some additional useful features (like three finger screenshot, etc.). Since OnePlus has gone to s*** in the recent times, I'm not looking to buy from them. The other option for me is Motorola which I'm not much confident about althought the Edge 30 Fusion looks promosing on paper. Recently I saw the price reduction in Samsung Galaxy S21 FE and I'm thinking of buying it, I have never used OneUI but it can't be that bad, right? What are my other options?

The budget is very variable, I can go upto 50k provided the device lasts me long and there is a guarantee of Android OS updates. If all my requirements are satisfied at 30k, then well and good. I understand that the the returns diminishes as we move up the price bracket, hence I'm looking for a phone with good value for money, something that justifies its price.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
There are numerous threads which already cover this.
I guess Samsung and Pixel are pretty much your choices for camera quality and updates. Moto update policy and cam sucks.
I have read all those recent threads end to end but still have many doubts, hence this thread. Also I didn't feel like hijacking others' threads.

Regarding Pixel, I would most likely have bought it if the regular Pixel was sold in India. Not the 6a.

Samsung seems to be the better option here but I have never owned a Samsung phone and do not know about its UI. Is there any way I can navigate throught the Samsung OneUI using an emulator or anything of that sorts? Is the UI same across all the Samsung phones starting from the entry level to the high end?

Regarding camera-
How does the camera on Samsung S21 FE fair against the recent flagship phones? Anyone having real world experience with this phone, your inputs would be very helpful.

Last edited:
I have read all those recent threads end to end but still have many doubts, hence this thread. Also I didn't feel like hijacking others' threads.

Regarding Pixel, I would most likely have bought it if the regular Pixel was sold in India. Not the 6a.

Samsung seems to be the better option here but I have never owned a Samsung phone and do not know about its UI. Is there any way I can navigate throught the Samsung OneUI using an emulator or anything of that sorts? Is the UI same across all the Samsung phones starting from the entry level to the high end?

Regarding camera-
How does the camera on Samsung S21 FE fair against the recent flagship phones? Anyone having real world experience with this phone, your inputs would be very helpful.
Hmm. If you read them I wonder why you mentioned Moto when you need - "at least 3/2 OS updates" and "First requirement is camera". The 6A is not a huge difference from 6. I have used the M30, M31 and M51 and the UI experience was pretty much consistent. I had to debloat all of them though. I have not used a high end Samsung phone so will defer to others.

I should have mentioned that stock Android is pretty high on my requirements list too. There is no perfect phone. Motorola has poor track record for their entry level / mid range phones but they have good track record with their flagship lineup with guaranteed atleast 2 OS releases.

With "Android 12/13 with atleast 3/2 OS updates", I meant to say that if the phone ships with Android 12, it should get 3 OS updates. If it ships with Android 13, it should get 2 Android updates (I'm not sure any Android 13 phone is in Indian market). This is not a rigid criteria. Aagin there is no perfect phone and compromises have to be made. I'm sorry for any misunderstanding.

Regarding camera, the shots on Motorola Edge 30 Ultra reviews look pretty nice in reviews. All the phone's review camera photos look pretty nice.

I'm looking to avoid the generalisation that Motorola has poor camera and updates. I'm not biased towards Motorola, I just want to weigh all the pros and cons and then make an informed decision that on what part should I compromise.

You could theoretically buy the pixel 6 as an imported unit in india. Some of my friends have it and it works fine. The india warranty stuff sucks anyway, so might as well take a gamble.
Having said that, QC issues with pixels is common, so pixel 6A or S22 is what you can go for. S22 will be 50K this sale, so fits your budget, and so does pixel 6A. If you want stock android and a decent cam that just about "works" pixel is a no brainer. If you dont mind spending extra for the nicer features like glass back and wireless charging and slightly better camera but are willing to put up with a crappier battery life and samsung UI, you can go for S22.
At 44K, pixel 6 seems like a good bet for you. If you dont care about warranty.
Moto has bad track record with software updates so would not recommend that. OnePlus is basically colorOS now which is not close to stock at all, and it has terrible, terrible cameras. Pick your poison.

I currently daily drive a OnePlus 7 Pro. I have had this phone for more than 3 years and absolutely love everything about it, specially the screen but lately it has started showing signs of aging. Battery backup has significantly reduced. There is some sluggishness overall and Camera & Gallery apps have started lagging a lot. Nothing a battery swap & factory reset won't fix though.
Why not fix it first then?

You could theoretically buy the pixel 6 as an imported unit in india. Some of my friends have it and it works fine. The india warranty stuff sucks anyway, so might as well take a gamble.
Having said that, QC issues with pixels is common, so pixel 6A or S22 is what you can go for. S22 will be 50K this sale, so fits your budget, and so does pixel 6A. If you want stock android and a decent cam that just about "works" pixel is a no brainer. If you dont mind spending extra for the nicer features like glass back and wireless charging and slightly better camera but are willing to put up with a crappier battery life and samsung UI, you can go for S22.
At 44K, pixel 6 seems like a good bet for you. If you dont care about warranty.
Moto has bad track record with software updates so would not recommend that. OnePlus is basically colorOS now which is not close to stock at all, and it has terrible, terrible cameras. Pick your poison.
Thanks for the answer, really appreciate it. I'm avoiding Pixel 6 because of the warranty scenario (the What If scenario).

I'm mostly looking for a phone that just works, for 3-4 years. :p And if Samsung gives that guarantee, I can compromise on stock android and try to adjust to OneUI. I don't care much about the extra features like wireless charging and so on, they are good to have but not needed. Even though good camera is among my top priority, I think most flagship camreas these days would suffice.

I have given up on OnePlus, they have settled. Motorola has pretty bad rep around here. So, till now only Samsung seems to be the last man standing.

Regarding Samsung OneUI, is there any way I can experience the UI beforehand? (I'm currently in a small town so shopping malls/other shops are out of question.) Is there any difference in Samsung's OneUI between their mid range and high end devices?

S22+ is 57k with card offers, Axis FK CC. Maybe exchange old phone?
Thanks for the info. I will check this out. I would like to keep my current phone as a secondary device.

Although my budget is upto 50k, I can allow myself to spend that much only if I'm getting a few more years in longivity. I don't know if I'm able to explain myself clearly, suppose F21 SE lasts me 3 years and I can get it for 32k now, then S22+ should last 5+ years (which is not possible the way tech is evolving these days). The other way to put this is, suppose F21 SE meets my 90% requirements and S22+ meets 100%, then is the extras 10% worth the money?

How much of a difference would I feel in real world scenarios if I compare S21 FE with S22+ ?

Why not fix it first then ?
Three reasons -
1. Khujli :p
2. The camera gets sluggish pretty soon after a factory reset. The camera isn't that good anyway, has so much shutter lag. I have stopped taking pictures because of this.
3. ColourOS with Android 12 will be arriving soon which will take away the near stock android experience (I know I can choose not to upgrade but khujli).

It will get updates till android 16, even pixel doesn't give 4 updates.
That's a major plus point IMHO. How likely is that Samsung gives up on S22+ after Android 14 or 15? I haven't been following Samsung at all so I have no idea that Samsung's Android OS track record is that good!!

Samsung S21 FE will get OS updates till when? Is there any place/website which lists which phone gets updates till what OS, or do we have to google individually for each phone?

Last edited:
Regarding Samsung OneUI, is there any way I can experience the UI beforehand? (I'm currently in a small town so shopping malls/other shops are out of question.) Is there any difference in Samsung's OneUI between their mid range and high end devices?
you can watch youtube videos which have an overview?
How much of a difference would I feel in real world scenarios if I compare S21 FE with S22+ ?
s22fe will have better build quality, glass back, wireless charging. battery life will be on par, better camera.
That's a major plus point IMHO. How likely is that Samsung gives up on S22+ after Android 14 or 15? I haven't been following Samsung at all so I have no idea that Samsung's Android OS track record is that good!!
unlikely as long or as fast, but they have been consistent with bug free updates.
Samsung S21 FE will get OS updates till when? Is there any place/website which lists which phone gets updates till what OS, or do we have to google individually for each phone?
It;s there on many tech sites. The Galaxy S21 FE will get Android 15 eventually, while the other S21 phones won’t. saw it on sammobile.

probably due to the aging camera, as OP mentions its a priority
His phone came out in 2019. My V20 came out in 2016. I got no problems with its camera. What ageing camera? It's got an F/1.6 for primary.

And Onplus in Bangalore used to have this art studio above the shop to show how good the photos from the one plus THREE were :)
Ah yeah, this is the main reason. I see people who love their top-end phones but after a mere six months inexplicably it has developed problems and they need a change.

The problem lies between the phone and the chair :p

His phone came out in 2019. My V20 came out in 2016. I got no problems with its camera. What ageing camera? It's got an F/1.6 for primary.
When I said that good camera is my primary requirement, I thought it is understood that I'm talking about the whole camera experience, not just the picture quality, but I was wrong.

I shouldn't have to wait still 4 seconds while the camera app loads, then for 2 seconds while the camera is clicking the picture. Then 5 more seconds till the phone is processing the file. I'm perfectly satisfied with the "quality" of pictures my phone takes, but I'm not able to see past these problems. I 100% of the times miss all the quick shots, like something passing by while I'm in car, or some child doing something that I would like to capture. I don't even try now.

Retail stores like reliance digital are your best bet

Although my budget is upto 50k, I can allow myself to spend that much only if I'm getting a few more years in longivity. I don't know if I'm able to explain myself clearly, suppose F21 SE lasts me 3 years and I can get it for 32k now, then S22+ should last 5+ years (which is not possible the way tech is evolving these days). The other way to put this is, suppose F21 SE meets my 90% requirements and S22+ meets 100%, then is the extras 10% worth the money?

S22+ is obviously the better phone and you'll have to be the one to decide if the extra money is worth spending for a proper flagship or not.

S21FE should get updates till Android 16 so both are equally matched in software.

Hi all.

I was lowkey looking for a phone but nothing could satisfy all my requirements. Today I read here that Samsung S21 FE is going for 32k (very VFM according to me) after ICICI discount and I'm tempted to say the least. Hence I'm making this therad to clear some of my doubts.

1. Budget?
A: Upto ₹50k but should be VFM and should last long.

2. Preferred display size, type and resolution?
A: 6" or more OLED (preferred) bright panel (~800nits), Refresh rate and Resolution are adequate on almost all the phones these days.

3. Preferred operating system? (Android (with version), iOS, etc).
A: Android 12/13 with atleast 3/2 OS updates (Company should have a good past record of timely updates.)

4. Preferred connectivity options?
A: 4G, 5G would be an added advantage but IDC about 5G.

5. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
Likes: Stock or near stock Android with useful features added. (Like old OnePlus, Motorola, etc.)
Dislike: Any brand that displays Ads in the interface, has bloats installed, has not so useful UI or heavy UI elements, doesn't release timely updates.

6. What is your intended use for this phone (internet, camera, multimedia, mails etc.)?
A: Camera, Messaging. No gaming or any kind of CPU-GPU taxing apps at all.

7. Single SIM/ Dual SIM?
A: No preference

8. New or Used? Online or Offline?
A: New. Online.

9. Any other requirements?
A: First requirement is camera, after that bettery life.

10. If you have already considered a phone, then please mention the model
A: Not really. Maybe Samsung Galaxy S21 FE. Motorola Edge 30 Fusion/Ultra.

A little extra-
I have used OnePlus 5 and OnePlus 7 Pro in the past. I prefer to stay close to stock android with some additional useful features (like three finger screenshot, etc.). Since OnePlus has gone to s*** in the recent times, I'm not looking to buy from them. The other option for me is Motorola which I'm not much confident about althought the Edge 30 Fusion looks promosing on paper. Recently I saw the price reduction in Samsung Galaxy S21 FE and I'm thinking of buying it, I have never used OneUI but it can't be that bad, right? What are my other options?

The budget is very variable, I can go upto 50k provided the device lasts me long and there is a guarantee of Android OS updates. If all my requirements are satisfied at 30k, then well and good. I understand that the the returns diminishes as we move up the price bracket, hence I'm looking for a phone with good value for money, something that justifies its price.

Thanks in advance.
Honestly, it's hard to beat the s21 fe in terms of value, it's on a crazy discount on big billion days right now. But if you want to spend more even the s22+ is on a very nice deal, and if you're okay with buying a used phone I've seen the s21 ultra go for under 50k in CeX.

Thanks for the answer, really appreciate it. I'm avoiding Pixel 6 because of the warranty scenario (the What If scenario).

I'm mostly looking for a phone that just works, for 3-4 years. :p And if Samsung gives that guarantee, I can compromise on stock android and try to adjust to OneUI. I don't care much about the extra features like wireless charging and so on, they are good to have but not needed. Even though good camera is among my top priority, I think most flagship camreas these days would suffice.

I have given up on OnePlus, they have settled. Motorola has pretty bad rep around here. So, till now only Samsung seems to be the last man standing.

Thanks for the info. I will check this out. I would like to keep my current phone as a secondary device.

Three reasons -
2. The camera gets sluggish pretty soon after a factory reset. The camera isn't that good anyway, has so much shutter lag. I have stopped taking pictures because of this.
3. ColourOS with Android 12 will be arriving soon which will take away the near stock android experience (I know I can choose not to upgrade but khujli).

ooop, didn't see that my recommendations were already mentioned, but imo stick to the s21 fe, it lacks a bit in build quality and cameras but it more than makes up for it in price, instead of upgrading in 5 years you can upgrade 2 years earlier if you think about it like 10k per year for the phone, and samsungs track record with updates is really good, so that's not something to be worried about. Their great customer service also makes it a much stronger recommendation imo. But still consider the s21 ultra from CeX for 50k.

When I said that good camera is my primary requirement, I thought it is understood that I'm talking about the whole camera experience, not just the picture quality, but I was wrong.

I shouldn't have to wait still 4 seconds while the camera app loads, then for 2 seconds while the camera is clicking the picture. Then 5 more seconds till the phone is processing the file. I'm perfectly satisfied with the "quality" of pictures my phone takes, but I'm not able to see past these problems. I 100% of the times miss all the quick shots, like something passing by while I'm in car, or some child doing something that I would like to capture. I don't even try now.
Well, the s21fe and the other Samsung phones are still pretty good in this regard. Unless you're shooting night mode portrait photos it won't take that long to process the image.

Last edited by a moderator:

What I find funny is this lag business on one plus because I've known people to leave other brands for one plus because it was lag free.

Your 855 is slower than my 820. What is the reason?

Quick shots are a crap shoot with any camera. You need this like 0.1% of the time. Yet for some reason people talk about it as a primary requirement.

You want to catch kids, shoot in 4k and pull out the best frame.

What I find funny is this lag business on one plus because I've known people to leave other brands for one plus because it was lag free.
It was lag free. It used to be lag free. My OnePlus 5 is still lag free. The massive lag started with Android 11.

Your 855 is slower than my 820. What is the reason?
Clearly the implementation of OnePlus Android 11 OS. It was lag free till before that udpate.

You want to catch kids, shoot in 4k and pull out the best frame.
"I shouldn't have to wait still 4 seconds while the camera app loads, then for 2 seconds while the camera is clicking the picture. Then 5 more seconds till the phone is processing the file. I'm perfectly satisfied with the "quality" of pictures my phone takes, but I'm not able to see past these problems."

Thanks for all the help, I appreciate the time you have put in this thread. I feel that you do not have anything else to offer. Thanks again.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Another source
Thanks for the links, I will go through them momentarily.
This is very reassuring. A major plus point for the Samsung phones, but we are still to see it. Very often that not, we have seen manufacturers promise years of updates and then fail to deliver. Yet this is great news, thanks for updating me.

Honestly, it's hard to beat the s21 fe in terms of value, it's on a crazy discount on big billion days right now. But if you want to spend more even the s22+ is on a very nice deal, and if you're okay with buying a used phone I've seen the s21 ultra go for under 50k in CeX.
ooop, didn't see that my recommendations were already mentioned, but imo stick to the s21 fe, it lacks a bit in build quality and cameras but it more than makes up for it in price, instead of upgrading in 5 years you can upgrade 2 years earlier if you think about it like 10k per year for the phone, and samsungs track record with updates is really good, so that's not something to be worried about. Their great customer service also makes it a much stronger recommendation imo. But still consider the s21 ultra from CeX for 50k.
Yes, the insane value of S21 FE in the Big Billion Days is the primary reason why I created this thread. I was looking at the options in the market for a while but couldn't find anything worth but this 32k deal made me create this thread.
Well, the s21fe and the other Samsung phones are still pretty good in this regard. Unless you're shooting night mode portrait photos it won't take that long to process the image.
I don't mind waiting an extra second or two in special conditions but having to wait all the time, even in the perfect lighting conditions is what's buggin me.
I'm sorry I missed your post earlier.

you can watch youtube videos which have an overview?
I tried Samsung Galaxy Emulator thingy on Samsung Website but it was Skin Emulator, like the phones outer body shape emulator. Wasted 30 mins there.
This is the only remaining option, it seems. Will find some videos and try to get an overview of OneUI.

Last edited:
Back