Android-WP updates scene

I don't want to write stories but you can google, in short here it is

Windows 8 : Missing start button, metro ui, usability
There are a zillion apps to return the start menu. Takes a total of 5 minutes to install. Metro UI is amazing and the future. Loads of people love it.
Windows RT : Lack support for basic x86 platform apps
Its an ARM OS. Why will x86 apps work on it? They will need an emulation layer and ARM is not powerful enough to do it.
Surface Tablets : Again due to windows rt itself and lack of storage space
Use and SD card. The free space after install, and its price matches the android tablets and their price for that much space.
XBox One : Forcing DRM policies and higher price than ps4
There was no DRM. Its a DIFFERENT MODEL of selling games. If you dont like it dont buy. Its priced higher than PS4 cause it has a lot larger scope now as a home entertainment unit.
Windows phone 8 : There is not a single feature in this os for which any existing smartphone user(using iOS or Android) will shift to this platform.
What stupidity. iOS copied the Flat interface. Facebook and android copied the peoples hub idea. There are a zillion other features that are being copied left, right and center. Not to mention that fact that Android aped iOs in first place and iOS is now copying WP8
In any means i don't want to offend anyone

I find your stupidity merely amusing. The one thing you are offending is common-sense :)

I smell a fanboy :D

PS : This thread is going nowhere, keep it on track.

I smell an Anti-Fanboy. Only thing you do is trash Microsoft with out any sort of logic. Even now, you refused to reply with reasons instead you call me a fanboy, when I posted exact reasons. :)

All I do is vouch for somethign thats served me pretty well. You can keep this shit going on, but I suppose anyone reading this thread has the truth of it by now.

I smell an Anti-Fanboy. Only thing you do is trash Microsoft with out any sort of logic. Even now, you refused to reply with reasons instead you call me a fanboy, when I posted exact reasons. :)

All I do is vouch for somethign thats served me pretty well. You can keep this shit going on, but I suppose anyone reading this thread has the truth of it by now.

Not really; he is just a standard Google fanboy. Check this Post; accused everyone of fanboyism in that thread too - a common troll tactic. Next he will say that you are a MS employee.

Ok let me get it one by one

Windows 8 : Why would anyone install 3rd party app to fix what m$ has screwed, sure metro is future but it is half baked and a nightmare on desktop which don't have touch screens. Loads of people hate it.
Windows RT : I don't get why anyone want that piece of shit, m$ has locked it's marketplace and you can't install any apps without it. That means you get what m$ feeds you.
Surface Tablets : Only surface pro is worth it, surface rt is a kids tablet.
Xbox One : They actually supported publishers first by charging on used games, what's the point of consoles if you can't play your friend's borrowed game. They learnt their lesson from sony anyways.
Windows phone 8 : People's hub idea made it's way through htc first gen windows smartphones, lol zillion other features that are copied elsewhere.. lmao

Get a room you all :p

On a related note, i think old times were better with less hassle of these updates and all. You buy a phone, use it, not worry about updates etc, sell it and buy new one when it comes.

I can see some members blatantly defending MS for no reason at all.

Can you explain that if removing start button was the future, they why MS was forced to add it back with a major update alongwith other fixes?

MS has no history of updating its desktop OS except providing service packs. I guess W8 was going the Vista way & it was their only way to save their faces. As previously mentioned in this thread, MS does not have enough resources, then why invest resources in developing W8.1 ?

Why did MS have to backtrack on their decision regarding XBOX One ??

The moral here is that there is only one company that can sell devices with limited functionality & features and still people will buy it. And that is Apple ( this trend is changing, however). Other companies like Google & MS will have to fight it out in the market by providing more & more features.

I have played with my friend's 520. While I can accept that it does not lag, but the software has numerous problems (which cannot be corrected by the user):

1. The phone randomly hangs & needs to be rebooted.
2. No file manager, no notification system.
3. Cannot select multiple music files or videos to share via bluetooth.
4. Media library refresh needs a reboot.
5. And the most annoying of all, the single volume control such that if you reduced the volume to listen to music on your phone, next time you may miss a call because the ringtone volume has been reduced too.
6. Talk about WP API support, even a S40 phone can run Whatsapp in background without streaming a blank song !!
7. Can anyone explain why the Lumia apps are not visible in the marketplace & has to be updated via a 3rd party (non-Nokia) app ?
8. No resolution of the "Other" storage issue after so many months of the problem.

Given the fact that all phones right from the 520 to the 920 is plagued with the same issues, I don't understand the price differences except that they have different screen & camera. Plus the fact that 520 to 720 has 512MB RAM which locks out certain apps is bad. Android phones in this price range too have 512MB RAM but no one tells me that you cannot use an "XYZ" app.

Newer Android phones are not laggy especially in JB. Even then Android can multitask ! A feature copied by Apple in iOS7. All desktop OS from MS hangs as it can multitask. Lets MS bring multitasking to WP & ten we'll see if it lags or not.

Another thing that completely puts me off is the lack of customization. I'm not talking about just themes here.
For example, Sony did not provide have quick toggles in Xperia U. I simply had to go to XDA forums and push a modified .apk into the system folder. And even if Sony did not provide JB update to my phone (a purely business decision), my phone is running stock JB without any issues with CM 10.1 coming soon. On WP8 I just feel helpless when things go wrong.

Regarding updates, at least Apple & Google are regular in releasing major yearly updates while the Amber update (which is a minor update, mind you) is taking ages with no ETAs whatsoever. I refuse to wait six months for something as basic as FM Radio. I refuse to wait for "unknown amount of time" for a notification center or for issues such as "Other" storage.

When MS first released WP8 they said that the engineers ran out of time to develop a working notification center! It has been 10 months since WP8 has been released, but the engineers still haven't able to get enough time for the purpose. I just cannot comprehend that from where MS is hiring its engineers!

I'm not a fanboy & I acknowledge that Android has a fragmentation problem. Mostly it is a business decision by companies to not provide updates & hence render the phone obsolete. But still there are other means for Andoid users.

I can see some members blatantly defending MS for no reason at all.

Can you explain that if removing start button was the future, they why MS was forced to add it back with a major update alongwith other fixes?

MS has no history of updating its desktop OS except providing service packs. I guess W8 was going the Vista way & it was their only way to save their faces. As previously mentioned in this thread, MS does not have enough resources, then why invest resources in developing W8.1 ?

Why did MS have to backtrack on their decision regarding XBOX One ??

The moral here is that there is only one company that can sell devices with limited functionality & features and still people will buy it. And that is Apple ( this trend is changing, however). Other companies like Google & MS will have to fight it out in the market by providing more & more features.

I have played with my friend's 520. While I can accept that it does not lag, but the software has numerous problems (which cannot be corrected by the user):

5. And the most annoying of all, the single volume control such that if you reduced the volume to listen to music on your phone, next time you may miss a call because the ringtone volume has been reduced too.
6. Talk about WP API support, even a S40 phone can run Whatsapp in background without streaming a blank song !!
7. Can anyone explain why the Lumia apps are not visible in the marketplace & has to be updated via a 3rd party (non-Nokia) app ?
8. No resolution of the "Other" storage issue after so many months of the problem.

Given the fact that all phones right from the 520 to the 920 is plagued with the same issues, I don't understand the price differences except that they have different screen & camera. Plus the fact that 520 to 720 has 512MB RAM which locks out certain apps is bad. Android phones in this price range too have 512MB RAM but no one tells me that you cannot use an "XYZ" app.

Newer Android phones are not laggy especially in JB. Even then Android can multitask ! A feature copied by Apple in iOS7. All desktop OS from MS hangs as it can multitask. Lets MS bring multitasking to WP & ten we'll see if it lags or not.

Another thing that completely puts me off is the lack of customization. I'm not talking about just themes here.
For example, Sony did not provide have quick toggles in Xperia U. I simply had to go to XDA forums and push a modified .apk into the system folder. And even if Sony did not provide JB update to my phone (a purely business decision), my phone is running stock JB without any issues with CM 10.1 coming soon. On WP8 I just feel helpless when things go wrong.

Regarding updates, at least Apple & Google are regular in releasing major yearly updates while the Amber update (which is a minor update, mind you) is taking ages with no ETAs whatsoever. I refuse to wait six months for something as basic as FM Radio. I refuse to wait for "unknown amount of time" for a notification center or for issues such as "Other" storage.

When MS first released WP8 they said that the engineers ran out of time to develop a working notification center! It has been 10 months since WP8 has been released, but the engineers still haven't able to get enough time for the purpose. I just cannot comprehend that from where MS is hiring its engineers!

I'm not a fanboy & I acknowledge that Android has a fragmentation problem. Mostly it is a business decision by companies to not provide updates & hence render the phone obsolete. But still there are other means for Andoid users.

Half your points can be answered by what you said and accepted very generously "And even if Sony did not provide JB update to my phone (a purely business decision)." It was a business decision to not upgrade the WIN CE kernel but rather give it the whole featureset. The consumer lost nothing, except the number. The whole feature set by and large was ported.

Bullshit. It hangs once in 5-6days. That too after very heavy usage. Perhaps some app is causing the crashes.
Like you put it, its a business decision to not include a filebrowser, which always end up being used for jailbreaking. It irritates me too, but then again, if they wanted developers they had to do it. As for notifications, pin tile, and the start screen was meant to be a notification system. Its not very efficient, but I guess a notification drawer would add some value too.
Fair point. I mostly use my laptop/sd card for bulk transfer.
Now you're just ranting about random stuff. Last time I added videos it updated automatically.
I love it. Absolutely. Having a different sound for every damn thing was so irritating that my phone used to be on silent all the time. Now I can just do it once and sit back and work.
Its a third part app. Microsoft has nothing to do with it. And there is a hugeass update that imminent in the next few weeks.
All the apps are visible to me. And updated by the store app.
Again, update is coming. No less than Joe Belfiore has acknowledged the problem and updated people on twitter. :)
When MS first released WP8 they said that the engineers ran out of time to develop a working notification center!
Microsoft never said that. The start screen IS the Notification system. And it would be very effective if apps used it properly. But again, like i've said before, a Notification drawer with notifications collected in one place would add more satisfation for people that are switching from android and iOS and also for unpinned apps.

WP does hang - If its because of another app - then whats the point? So does Android!

As for the business decision to not put a file browser -LOL. But they are going to give you Bluetooth 4.0 - Its a better 'business' decision!

Volume control thingy - I do assume you are sane.

WhatsApp is the main reason I dont recomend others to get WP. And the fact that most of the apps are paid.

In short - they are just bringing out a half baked product out.

That reminds me - A very irritating issue I had with WP7.5 - Possible to share links using WhatsApp? Or do we still have to copy paste link and all that?

In short - they are just bringing out a half baked product out.

That's fine; Android was in the same boat for almost 18 months, and only in mid-2010 did it pick steam after Galaxy S was launched. WP8 has seen just 10 months so far.

WhatsApp is very buggy with WP indeed, but there's already an internal beta running on the next update of WP8 which apparently fixes all the bugs. It should be out soon after Amber is released.

@Party Monger

No WP 7.8 lacks major features of WP8. They are not the same. And pissing off early adopters of your half-baked platform is definitely not a good business decision. Google has started delaying newer releases on Android only so that phones do not get redundant.

I've had first hand experience only with a single device (Lumia 520) so it might be a problem with the specific unit. However, when I searched the internet for the issues, I did get to forums where people were complaining about the same issues !

1. Let us assume that it is an app issue. What are my option for diagnosing the problem ? I guess none.

2. A file manager is not essential for jailbreaking. iOS doesn't have one yet it was jailbroken. I am just asking for a file manager which provides access to only user partition & not system partition, like Samsung provides in its Android phones.

3. On the other hand, multiple pictures can be selected but not music or videos. This is absurd.

4. I did download numerous songs from Nokia Music & the phone needs a reboot before the media info in the music player is updated.

5. I feel it is the most outrageous bug in the platform. Many a times I played a song on the headphones, forgetting to lower the volume only to blow my ears off. You are the only person okay with it. Whoever I told about this bug, just laughed his ass off on MS.

6. Well it is fully functional on other platforms, so I can safely assume that it is an API problem on the part of MS.

7. http://unleashthephones.com/2013/04...ou-direct-links-to-update-your-settings-apps/

8 . Read your post, you've wrote twice about two different updates coming. And that does not include the Amber & the Blue updates. That sums up to four updates with no ETAs & no info.

On the other side, after Samsung was criticized for filling half of its internal storage with junk in the S4, a quick update was released to free up some of the space. The same is not the case with Nokia's flagship 920.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/11/1/3587864/windows-phone-8-notification-center
http://gizmodo.com/5956318/winpho-8...tion-center-because-microsoft-ran-out-of-time

See, I'm not against any platform. The WP platform is perhaps the best designed but poorly executed. WP is already way behind the other platforms due to coming out late. The lazy attitude of MS is only pushing the gap wider. People will not wait for months to fix minor issues like FM radio (I know its not an important issue) , or storage filling up automatically when better alternatives are available.

Not sure about anything else but having single volume for media (songs, videos) and ringer is plain absurd and anyone who thinks it is convenient is just trying to defend a flaw in the OS.
I keep ringer volume full on my phone that does not mean i will listen to songs at the same full volume. They have to be separate.

Not sure about anything else but having single volume for media (songs, videos) and ringer is plain absurd and anyone who thinks it is convenient is just trying to defend a flaw in the OS.
I keep ringer volume full on my phone that does not mean i will listen to songs at the same full volume. They have to be separate.
That's one of the most asked user feature on WP8. It's even present in low-end Symbian phones.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ol-all-volume-s-separately-on-windows-phone-8

Many other requests here:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

MS has a lot of work to do to catch up. Nokia has delivered on the hardware front and have been constantly innovating, but MS is holding them back. But unlike the WP7 debacle, WP8 has promise.

That's fine; Android was in the same boat for almost 18 months, and only in mid-2010 did it pick steam after Galaxy S was launched. WP8 has seen just 10 months so far.

WhatsApp is very buggy with WP indeed, but there's already an internal beta running on the next update of WP8 which apparently fixes all the bugs. It should be out soon after Amber is released.

I agree - but that was then and this is now - Please don't tell me you are going to wait for them for the promised updates and when it does not - what are you going to do? Looking at past experience - MS is not going to listen!

Even with 1.6 - Its was not bad - I know a friend who had a Archos with that and it used to play almost all stuff till 720p. MKVs too - infact - OOTB.

In short - This is what happens at MSHQ :

"We have a set of people who would be willing to test our new OS - and they will pay us for it. And they will buy our apps too. And Hollywood wants us to use DRM - but we cannot implement it all - lets stop MKVs from playing. Let them pay for third party apps which will, etc...."

To sum it all - Android has its shortcomings. Windows Phone could have done better, they came after both. But nope. They decided to do stupid things, and try to imitate Apple. Without the userbase - it all went for a toss.

LOL

You saved me a lot of time man, thanks. I think our job here is done. Someone should ban him from the mobile forums to preserve the collective sanity of the people posting on these forums. Will report his replies.

See there is one simple thing and that is don't use my name for your wrong and *BS* thoughts, OK because in my knowledge i haven't broken any rule of the forum.
I will not tolerate any of your drama if you take it to banning me without any reason. I will just report it instantly without giving a second thought.

So from next time give a solid reason before giving your damn for banning other members !

That's one of the most asked user feature on WP8. It's even present in low-end Symbian phones.

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/f...ol-all-volume-s-separately-on-windows-phone-8

Many other requests here:

http://windowsphone.uservoice.com/forums/101801-feature-suggestions

MS has a lot of work to do to catch up. Nokia has delivered on the hardware front and have been constantly innovating, but MS is holding them back. But unlike the WP7 debacle, WP8 has promise.

WP has huge potential - I think Nokia is doing the right thing with Asha.

See there is one simple thing and that is don't use my name for your wrong and *BS* thoughts, OK because in my knowledge i haven't broken any rule of the forum.
I will not tolerate any of your drama if you take it to banning me without any reason. I will just report it instantly without giving a second thought.

So from next time give a solid reason before giving your damn for banning other members !

He himself is not sane. He wants prefers Bluetooth 4.0 over a file manager - business reasons :LOL: and uses single volume control. Or maybe its just us, after all MS decides for us, right?

Back