Android-WP updates scene

Love the fact that people will defend MS's incapability to include something as business decisions while the same attitude from Apple receives a lot of flak.
Apple is a consumer-first company and Microsoft is an enterprise-first company.

People are more emotionally attached to their Apple products than Microsoft's as that is what Apple aims to. Apple is the best consumer hardware company for no reason; their complete package for a common consumer is something that must be appreciated regardless of whether you use their products or not.

Microsoft doesn't fool around with their Enterprise software either, just like Google doesn't with anything that aids their search engine and ad network. It's always about following the money; hence those 'business decisions'. Another giant most forget is Amazon.

Apple is a consumer-first company and Microsoft is an enterprise-first company.

People are more emotionally attached to their Apple products than Microsoft's as that is what Apple aims to. Apple is the best consumer hardware company for no reason; their complete package for a common consumer is something that must be appreciated regardless of whether you use their products or not.

Microsoft doesn't fool around with their Enterprise software either, just like Google doesn't with anything that aids their search engine and ad network. It's always about following the money; hence those 'business decisions'. Another giant most forget is Amazon.

Stupid logic really - so tell MS to not sell conumer products. You want to sell consumer stuff - dont screw around with us.

Stupid logic really - so tell MS to not sell conumer products. You want to sell consumer stuff - dont screw around with us.
What "logic" are you talking about here? I was replying to @raksrules why MS is perceived as such. I don't know why every debate should rattle on the emotional scales.

I was not not saying the consumers don't have the right to demand and criticize. They deserve all the flak for their ignorance and attitude towards consumer products.

Last edited by a moderator:
What "logic" are you talking about here? I was replying to @raksrules why MS is perceived as such. I don't know why every debate should rattle on the emotional scales.

I was not not saying the consumers don't have the right to demand and criticize. They deserve all the flak for their ignorance and attitude towards consumer products.

Whats this emotional scale? Is it that Android has it, iOS has it, when will WP get it? Duh :rolleyes:

Yeah - they do deserve all the flak for choosing WP - hell, I wish I had not bought the Focus.

Whats this emotional scale? Is it that Android has it, iOS has it, when will WP get it? Duh :rolleyes:

Yeah - they do deserve all the flak for choosing WP - hell, I wish I had not bought the Focus.
I stayed away from WP7 myself and I totally understand your disappointment. The thing though is that it is in the past and a one-off thing moving to Windows NT kernel. WP7 was clearly a time-to-market thing and WP8 is the real version 1. It sucks, but it's just being realistic. Now that everything from Windows to Windows Phone to Xbox is on the NT kernel, the future is secure. Unlike with WP7 they have committed to updates till at least 2016 so the updates disadvantage with WP7 is actually an advantage now thanks to the unified kernel.

I was talking about this

and

As for me including the NSA thing - they could have employed those people who worked to make the access for the NSA easier to make WP better or maybe with W8.

Is that your line of reasoning? I know you feel emotionally screwed to have chosen a WP7 device, and as do many. Even the updates on WP8 are slow, though they are fixing most of the things in their own snail pace. Instead of criticising the OS and the update cycle, which this thread is about, you are connecting irrelevant dots and making it seem much more than what it really is.

I was talking about this

and

Is that your line of reasoning? I know you feel emotionally screwed to have chosen a WP7 device, and as do many. Even the updates on WP8 are slow, though they are fixing most of the things in their own snail pace. Instead of criticising the OS and the update cycle, which this thread is about, you are connecting irrelevant dots and making it seem much more than what it really is.

Actually - I was replying to what you posted. I too felt the same - when it comes to Apple - they are criticized and they do try to fix the issues. MS on the other hand - :rolleyes:

Maybe, but updates are for fixing things. If they are too slow - its bad for them. Me - not going to touch WP if possible.

I was talking about this

and

I would say it is unfair to say updates on Windows Phone are at a slow pace. Since Android shipped 4.0 the Windows Phone team have rewritten the entire OS from scratch based on a new kernel, released two GDRs since then. Compare the upgrade from Android 4.0 to 4.2 or iOS 5 to 6 and then Windows Phone 7.5 to 8 GDR2, it is pretty clear which is the more significant upgrade. There's a GDR3 coming in 3-4 months, and then 8.1 shipping 3-4 months after that. It is pretty clear Windows Phone team are hard at work and shipping as quickly as possible.

The illusion of slow progress is simply because they were very late to the market in the first place and many of the features that are familiar on other platforms - like notification center - have an alternate method in Windows Phone, so it is not the critical priority. But overall, Windows Phone is definitely growing at a faster pace than iOS and Android, and it needs to, given how late they were.

@Sub I understand all that and have said the exact same points before in this thread. Also, you are seeing it without any emotions attached, hence the sane judgement.

The slow pace is actually not slow at all when seen in absolute terms, but the basic feature set that is missing, and that is what makes even a quarterly update seem like "slow pace". They need to fix those problems quickly.

Not true. Windows Phone 8 users will be updated till January 2016.
This increase from july 2014 to jan 2016 was announced just a few days ago. My original comment was a month or more old. :p
It just shows how Microsoft fears public opinion now.

This increase from july 2014 to jan 2016 was announced just a few days ago. My original comment was a month or more old. :p
It just shows how Microsoft fears public opinion now.
Yeah, haters are sad that they can't use that as an excuse any more.

The WP8 apps sphere isn't mature yet, maybe in a year or two. And this goes right back to what the thread started with. You cannot expect to get an OS update to your phone after two years regardless of OS.

A commitment by M$ on this point would help move handsets faster.
Just said this yesterday without even realising it became official a few days earlier.

Making Windows Phone an even better choice for business | Windows Blog | July 10 2013

Reading the comments its quite instructive for those who intend to cut costs by getting phones from carriers. Guess what, unless you can root the phone, getting a timely update from the carrier is a crap shoot. Carrier phones are cheaper for a reason, they get obsoleted faster. And people who get phones from carriers do not care because they just exchange and get a better phone as they actually use the carrier.

I don't know what problem you have with me. You like to twist everything I say to make it look bad.

Just quote the para where I said I hate wp8! Typical fanboi!!
When did I say that you hate WP8? Please show me.

And when did I twist everything you say? Please guide me towards that "twist"?

Also, what is this with a Mod accusing me of being a " typical" "fanboi". Please tell me what do you mean by that? If you are accusing, at least give a proof.

After going through this whole thread I started browsing the app store on here Lumia 620 and was stunned to see the number of fake apps and file managers that were available. Some of the file managers were paid apps (obviously they won't work) so whoever said WP8 has a mature app store is not entirely correct.

I tried my best to like the Lumia 620 but I couldn't bring myself to it. The interface while nice at first gets boring after a while and while the fluid interface is good my sisters phone hangs quite often and now its stopped working completely. (Can happen with any phone so not blaming Microsoft or Nokia.) (Err sorry I meant M$ !!!). :p

People claimed MS removed the file manager to get more developers but so far that hasn't happened yet. After installing CM10 my phone is now extremely smooth to use and I am free to use an iOS style interface or even a Windows 8 style interface if I want. For WP8 they are stuck with what they have got whether they like it or not.

Back