Android-WP updates scene

Since Skype is owned by Microsoft, it sort of becomes default video calling in WP phones. Correct me if wrong.
I think what he is asking for is native video calling, which isn't available in WP8. Only Skype-to-Skype video calls are possible as of now. Since Skype is available on all platforms, I don't think it is much of a problem.[DOUBLEPOST=1374475965][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah if data plan is not working and bsnl 3 g network is available then the additional benefit of video call is there .
Won't you be charged on the data being used for video calls?

Native 3 g video calls don't use data . Using it from Nokia n73 times . Dial the guys phone number and select video call . Normal call charges apply
. Using it for some years on mtnl Mumbai .

Just got a 88MB firmware update on my Galaxy Note 2. Update details are dumb as always. Says "Improved stability" thats it. Installing it now.

Finished the update but I still dont know what the heck it did..... Samsung sucks at updates.....

Just got a 88MB firmware update on my Galaxy Note 2. Update details are dumb as always. Says "Improved stability" thats it. Installing it now.

Finished the update but I still dont know what the heck it did..... Samsung sucks at updates.....

At least you get updates. Other OEMs don't bother.

Last edited:
Been looking for an analysis on upgrades for android and this Ars article is the best i found. Only the OEM part is relevant for India and HTC leads the pack in terms of putting out timely OS upgrades.

The checkered, slow history of Android handset updates | Dec 21 2012

Another good one is JR Raphael at computerworld.

Android upgrade report card: Who failed in Q3? | Oct 02 2012
Android upgrade fail list: Which companies made promises they couldn't keep? | Jan 03 2013
I strongly disagree. HTC sucks in updates department. They abandoned a lot of android devices before without releasing much updates.

If you read the other links you will see that HTC got a D. But no grade was given to samsung or sony.

So which vendor according to you has historically been best at upgrades then ?

Yep, wanted to know about android OEMs. Its a mixed picture as you can see. Tricky question because depending on how you analyse it the final results will always vary. Ars gives HTC top spot and Raphael gives them a D.

M$ & Apple have it easier in the mobile space when it comes to upgrades. Actually, apple has it easiest.

M$ has Samsung, nokia & HTC

He's talking about Android OEMs. MS and Apple try to keep their OEMs/networks under leash; at least as of now.

I know he was talking about Droid. The situation is so bad in Android that one cant pick on manufacture and say yes they will give me updates.

The best way IMO regarding Android is to buy a phone which will attract developers.

The best way IMO regarding Android is to buy a phone which will attract developers.
How to do this ?

Wait 3-6 months after launch and see the response. Compare number of roms for the models and assess their maturity.

Best way is to buy last years models to 'see into the future'. But then you ARE on last years model.

How to do this ?

Wait 3-6 months after launch and see the response. Compare number of roms for the models and assess their maturity.

Best way is to buy last years models to 'see into the future'. But then you ARE on last years model.

The specs of the phone do indicate the dev support. I agree that a wait for 2-4 months to stabilize the price and check the developer interest is the best way.

Windows are gonna give Android a run for their money. Under the 15k segment they are already better. Another year and Windows would indeed be on par with Droid.

The specs of the phone do indicate the dev support. I agree that a wait for 2-4 months to stabilize the price and check the developer interest is the best way.
Don't see this with LG devices and they are very good phones. Flagships should get the most attention but some are preferred over others. How well they sell in the west is a another factor. That is until the Indian rom scene catches up and fills in the gap.

Windows are gonna give Android a run for their money. Under the 15k segment they are already better. Another year and Windows would indeed be on par with Droid.
Windows is doing to android in the low end segment what android is doing to apple in the high end segment.

How does the news of the RT failure to sell affect this picture. I always believe that any m$ v3.0 is a winner. RT 1.0 which came out last Oct had high expectations but realistically speaking was going to be a flop. not a problem M$ has loads a money to burn. RT 2.0 comes out this Oct and 3.0 the year after in 2014.

A year from now puts us in 3.0 territory. 1-2 years away from serious m$ competition.

Anyone who believes that WP is going to give Android a run for its money is seriously deluded. Those who know what they want in a phone - they will buy what suits them. Those who know that WP sucks, will avoid it. Those who think Nokia is better - again will buy Lumia.

Coming to 7.5/7.8/all WP builds, these are not updates per se, but for fixes like the keyboard issue. WP7 to WP8 is an update (which wont happen). Similarly, the Amber update was in a way to fix certain missing issues - like the radio and the CalDAV/CardDAV support, etc.

I believe that soon many of the Chinese manufacturers will give an option of stock ROM or stock Android/CM10. Oppo is already doing it.

Custom ROMs are a plenty. I never thought that there would be dev support for even the Karbonn A15 - a 4.5K phone! It has 4 ROMs based on cooked stock ROM and 1 JB ROM (Dunno which).

In Android, I believe Samsung has updated several phones to 4.1 from 2.3, bypassing 4.0. Sony too seems to be picking up. In the end, I would say if you have good dev support, thats all needed.

Wake me up when wp supports native 3 g video call like Samsung. . Hell even my old HTC tytn2 on wm 6.1 had native video call . I use this feature regularly . Used it in my Nokia n73 ; c7 then Samsung galaxy note and s3 as well as my Micromax a110 .

Back