Anna Hazare's fast against corruption

Shripad

ex-Mod
I usually don't bother posting political topics here, but the issue here is corruption and what just happened this morning has for the first time in my life has shaken my belief, that in the end India is still a democratic country.

I know we are a flawed country but this arrest is soo unconstitutional that it makes me wonder how low we can go from here.

Everyone off us have constitutional right to show dissent in peaceful manner and today that right is taken away.

I am disappointed and ashamed to be a Indian citizen for the first time in my life.

:( :( :mad:

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk Pro.

Re: Anna Hazare arrested by Delhi police ahead of today's fast.

Good that you posted.

I was afraid if anybody else does it.. moderation might be an issue. Pls add a suitable poll as well.

Truly a shameful day. If only the scheduled day for the fast had been something like 14nth Aug... 15nth would have been the perfect day for a reply to this cowardly Congress sarkar. During the first round of Fasting, they didnt said anything about Hazare being corrupt or about other alibis, this time they went full throttle to derail him. Just goes to show how much desperate they were to protect their guilty. I doubt if BJP would have done any better than this. They are supporting only cuz they are sitting in the opposition's corner.

Anna should float a party.

This is sad and unconstitutional and all those things, but not entirely unexpected. It is sad how low the ruling coalition can stoop..

would have created a even bigger mess if he went to the park to fast though ...

Frustration of congress is evident from this arrest. True face of congress is again out in public.

kippu said:

That is irrelevant.

Its a different story if it was a demonstration (even that is not unconstitutional).

It would have been different story if it was anti national.

It would have been different story if it was someone else. But here is the man with impeccable background of non violent protests. The preemptive detention to avoid a peaceful show of dissent is highly immoral, unconstitutional and shameful thing to do in a so called democratic country.

Yesterdays speech by our PM and this, both have left very sour taste in public's mouth. A country that has earned its freedom thanks largely to peaceful show of dissent , has a PM who stands in front of millions of people on its Independence day and says a hunger strike wont achieve anything is shameful.

I just hope people keep the events of today fresh in their mind long enough. We have a tendency to forget things way too quickly.

so if you dont like a bill , is protesting the way to do it , hold the country to a state of ransom ...?

kippu said:
so if you dont like a bill , is protesting the way to do it , hold the country to a state of ransom ...?

1. If "protesting" is not a way to "protest" against a bill, what is?

2. How would a fast hold a country to state of ransom? I suppose the only entity that is holding country at ransom is those in power with their endless list of scams.

@kippu

Cant believe what you posted..

1) The bill was a betrayal on the words given earlier. Clearly manipulated to defeat the purpose.

2) Protesting in a way by fasting and non violence is the best way to go about it. Nobody is holding the country to a ransom.

People got mobilized because of common resentment on corruption. How is Anna really responsible ?

I really dont think you are on the same channel kippu :no:

kippu said:

Yes, protesting is a way to do it as long as its peaceful. No one is held at ransom. That is the only thing you can do within our constitution.

And this is not any other bill. This bill will have deep ramifications and will change how the people of this country gets to exercise their right to question those who they elect.

Its the actions like these that cause violent reactions from public. You take away the right to peaceful protest and you are no better than communist china or north Korea.

And to be honest, government is not dealing with anyone from the streets here. Anna's team is backed by well qualified people including lawyers and activists from all parts of this country and our society. Their proposals are open and known to public, there is nothing wrong or invalid in what they are asking. Neither is there anything unconstitutional in the way they chose to show dissent. Its a basic fundamental right given to us by a constitution. Government can still go on and pass the bill as it feels fit, but that does not mean you lock up people who are asking for a better or different bill. Its their right to do so. Its anyone's right to do so.

i am just on the other channel guys , i dont want to folllow the crowd in going after anna and this "movement" nor i am supporting the government in their actions ...just going to go watch breaking bad now ...you guys carry on the movement

kippu said:
Agree and the govt was within its rights to stop this character turning this country into a dictatorship.

I'm sorry, hazare got pushback, maybe he needs to try harder with his movement and not fall for cheap stunts like this one.

Found this article to be quite insightful on hazare and his movement.

Come to think of it, this was the same government that kept quite when Arundhati Roy and others were spouting BS against the country barely 2 KM from the Parliament.

It is appalling at best to describe what has happened today. I never really supported Hazare and his methods, but detaining him is not the way to go about it! Rather than parliament, constitution is supreme and this act is a disrespect to the constitution.

Corruption is something which is inherit within all of us, we are all a part of it. Politicians do not come from a separate country, they are a product of Indian parents, Indian society, Indian schools and Indian institutions. It can never be removed completely, only reduced. Rather than having higher bureaucracy under the Lokpal, the lower bureaucracy should have been under it. Atleast that will give relief to the common man from day-to-day corruption.

The reason (as I see it or understand) for the government to adopt desperate measures is to create an example, so as to protect the powers of the parliament to form laws and pass bills and not let anybody to do something similar and disrupt the workings of the parliament and let that person dictate his views. This is in a way correct, but in some cases incorrect.

Shripad said:
I know we are a flawed country but this arrest is soo unconstitutional that it makes me wonder how low we can go from here.

Everyone off us have constitutional right to show dissent in peaceful manner and today that right is taken away.
Is a fast unto death peaceful ?

hey, why bother if there wasn't an implied threat within.

I don't seem to recall the constitution allowing such, could you show me where it says this.

blr_p said:

I don't seem to recall the constitution allowing such, could you show me where it says this.

Do you or do you not support the cause/Lokpal? The one's running it and the methods they adopt are not as important as the cause for which they are protesting and exercising there constitutional rights.

blr_p said:
Found this article to be quite insightful on hazare and his movement.

Also, it is mainly middle class, which apart from big business, easily resorts to corruption for its own work done. It readily shells out money to get a birth in train, it bribes municipal offices for certain extensions and unauthorized structures and also readily accepts bribe as petty government officials to allow illegal work and so on.

These middle classes also pay heavy capitation fees for admission of their children in good schools and professional colleges. In fact there is hardly any form of corrupt practice which these middle classes do not resort to. These classes have hardly any moral right to fight against corruption.
My attention span is very limited and lines like these make it harder to continue reading.

There is a difference between resorting to and succumbing to. Not every middle class initiates these 'transactions'. Some people just have to pay a premium as without that the work will not get done at all. It would be unfair to classify all on the same boat.

blr_p said:

Yes,
Its peaceful until there is no immediate thread to his health. Its peaceful even if he becomes critical. If Government really do care, they can intervene if his health goes down dramatically. Indian Penal code section 309 has punishment for "unsuccessful" attempt of suicide or any act "committed" towards commission of such offense. It does not mean they put anyone in lockup before they commit that act. Not to mention the IPC 309 itself is under review. Law commission has submitted the review of this to the government of India to repeal this 2 century old law.

Back