Any aquarists here?

hi guys...

Anyone adding CO2 to their tanks ? What methods you are using ?

Which is the cheapest option with less personal involvement ?

Anybody using small CO2 cylinders and refilling them when required ? How much does it cost ?

One of my friend wanted to try a hack by using Mr. Butlers Soda maker cylinders and was wondering whether off market regulators and connectors can be available for the same ?

No idea about this but just keep in mind CO2 generally overdosed + never use fertilizer tabs.

Last edited:
What issue did you find with fertilizer tabs ? Because was trying to use either of these:

Heard liquid fertilizers increase the chance to develop algae and root tablets are better.

Already have this fertilizer for other purposes, pondering about using it in aquarium after reading q&a:

Yes, he earlier used DIY method, CO2 leaked excess when out of home and few fish were dead. Hence looking for cylinder options.
Benefit of CO2 is that plants thrive effortlessly.

Last edited:
What issue did you find with fertilizer tabs ? Because was trying to use either of these:

Heard liquid fertilizers increase the chance to develop algae and root tablets are better.

Already have this fertilizer for other purposes, pondering about using it in aquarium after reading q&a:

Yes, he earlier used DIY method, CO2 leaked excess when out of home and few fish were dead. Hence looking for cylinder options.
Benefit of CO2 is that plants thrive effortlessly.
Yes and there are drawbacks too. Plants don't thrive forever and we can't rely on them. I have never used root tabs ( I don't have a planted tank) .. the inventor of Anoxic filtration system does not recommend it. It makes the plant lazy and too dependent on tabs. Look up his videos on youtube. Great info man.

Last edited:
Please get anything bigger than a bowl you can buy locally and keep one betta (fighter fish) in it. Just one.
Does it require any of the parts like water filter, air pump , heater etc ? Any plants ?

Is 12" x 12" x 6" decent for single betta ?

This is even much smaller.
Although I read somewhere that Betta needs at least a feet long fish tank for healthy living.

Last edited:
Should be enough for a Betta. General rule being one gallon for a fish.
Heater needed depending on climate conditions you are in, not needed if in tropic regions.
Plants looks better, you can try Green foxtail, Riccia Fluitans, Java Moss, frogbit, etc., helps with water parameters.
Air pump also required if plants are there, also helps remove oil slick like formation on top. Add one or two Ramshorn snails (clear the slick), Nerite snails, etc. for company.
Usually Siamese Betta are hardy fish requiring minimum maintenance.

Those bowls are very fragile, would say avoid them. Somebody gifted a bowl like that, it cracked just like that in the middle of night. The person who gifted the bowl was at home and was able to see his doing :) But, that is how I again restarted my childhood hobby.

Last edited:
Does it require any of the parts like water filter, air pump , heater etc ? Any plants ?

Although I read somewhere that Betta needs at least a feet long fish tank for healthy living.
This is too small. Ignore all videos from this youtuber. He is everywhere sharing nonsense .. even on reddit.

Consider getting a 18" x 12"x 12" chinese aquarium. It has everything. Heater you need to buy.

Last edited:
Always try and get the larger aquarium for use. 1.5*1*1 is ok for betta fish .
If u want to have different cichlid/goldfish family fishes , suggest to go for 3ft *2*2* ft aquarium.
Yes. Most fish prefer longer tanks VS taller tanks with few exceptions like Discuss and Angels. 3x2x2 (feet) will have a very good surface area for good aeration/gaseous exchange.

The betta evolved from naturally cramped environments but bowls are bad regardless and they don't like powerful water circulation or large water changes. Even 1.5'x1'x1' should be ok and you can easily diy these things yourself if you have the time. Put in some rocks and plants and run the filter at lowest possible setting. I believe even a filter is not necessary if you can to regular small water changes with a siphon to take out their crap. If the kid is interested, they'll figure out how to care for the fish, else onto next hobby. Also by no means get goldfish or guppies instead of a betta.
First timer.
What is smallest size fish tank one can go for ? Planning to get one for kid's desk.
Also, ask here if in doubt: https://www.facebook.com/groups/40476729417/

The betta evolved from naturally cramped environments but bowls are bad regardless and they don't like powerful water circulation or large water changes. Even 1.5'x1'x1' should be ok and you can easily diy these things yourself if you have the time. Put in some rocks and plants and run the filter at lowest possible setting. I believe even a filter is not necessary if you can to regular small water changes with a siphon to take out their crap. If the kid is interested, they'll figure out how to care for the fish, else onto next hobby. Also by no means get goldfish or guppies instead of a betta.

Also, ask here if in doubt: https://www.facebook.com/groups/40476729417/
Can't agree more.

No posts since 2 years. Any other such group?
This is so sad to realize. IDK, maybe they moved to discord or some other place? There is no chance that they gave up on the hobby but I did coz my life circumstances changed.
I don't keep any fish anymore but I went to an aquarists meetup in Canada and the guy had the whole basement filled with fish tanks.

Due to some legal restrictions, many social media and similar websites are restricting display of pet fishes. Don't know the exact reason. Found OLX is smudging aquarium fish images. Aquarium pet trade do have so careless people. Problem is that our govt. depts then start to go full nuclear banning and exploiting people doing the business.

This is so sad to realize. IDK, maybe they moved to discord or some other place? There is no chance that they gave up on the hobby but I did coz my life circumstances changed.
I don't keep any fish anymore but I went to an aquarists meetup in Canada and the guy had the whole basement filled with fish tanks.
What is the advantage of buying from fb groups vs buying from local shop? Variety or price or both?

Variety, price, quality, etc. Have felt that aquarium shops generally sells run off the mill fishes like gold fish, guppy, koi, sad betta like damaged goods, etc. which are meant for people with limited attention span, not ready to study or learn about the topic, with less care and respect towards what they are doing as a hobby and about life of creatures they handle. However, that runs aquarium business for long.
But, hobbyists generally have keen interest of what they do, bring in very curious looking exotic fishes, monetary gain is secondary for them, etc.
For eg., look for how many aquariums are selling betta varieties like candy nemo, koi plakat, etc., you will rather find them more with hobbyists at tad higher prices sometimes. Or look for dwarf corydoras, Pseudomugil, etc.

Last edited:
Got my first tank set up today and within no time learnt about mistakes I did + improvement areas.

Tank - https://www.flipkart.com/r-s-electrical-rs-300a-glass-rectangle-aquarium-tank/p/itmb074a36b3c64c
Dimensions ( W/H/D / Wt ) - 31/38/30 / 3.5kg
Fish - Betta x 1
Accessories - External filter, 50W heater
Decoration - Crystal sand, Plastic artifacts

Mistakes
  1. Cycle the tank before bringing the fish. If possible do not buy them on the same day.
  2. Add water slowly in the tank or else be prepared for the aquatic dust storm. Use funnel, hand or even a flat plastic sheet to distribute water pressure on the base.
  3. Check water temp, chlorine amount etc before bringing in the fish
  4. Fish need acclimation time and is not a 'Yipeee !! .. Drop me in the big pool' thing
  5. The aquarium shops are just selling place with limited intent to educate.

Came across Mayur Dev - Aquascaper on youtube. Good and easily understandable content.
The one thing I liked is when he mentioned that this hobby is all about keeping the water clean and healthy. The rest will be natural...

Improvements
  1. Will re-landscape the tank to be a more natural place.
  2. Remove the plastic decorations
  3. Will add plants, grass, moss etc. Although I'm not sure at present what I can add based on tank size and availability, and what substrate to use.
  4. May be add a rock or so to act as a hiding place
  5. Add a better filter. Somehow I feel air pump is too strong and the water filter is gimmicky. ( It drops water on a 2mm sponge at the top from where it falls in the tank )
  6. Validate the quality of food, medicines that the shop has given
  7. ... and maybe add a companion
Any suggestions are most welcome

1636896155435.jpeg

1636896190077.jpeg

Last edited:
Back