Anyone having Synology NAS Experience in India

panks21

Recruit
Hi There

I have been using public cloud to backup stuff. I have purchased the Microsoft OneDrive Premium plan which gives 1TB storage along with various other perks, but that's limited to my account. Off lately I was thinking to move all the stuff to my home by purchasing a Synology NAS. The internet connection at home are now quite fast and reliable these days, so accessing stuff from outside my home should not be an issue.
I watched a few videos where people have rated Synology over others like QNAP or WD MyCloud.
I have a family of 5 with 3 laptops, 5 smartphones, 1 Ipad. All should be backed up
Here is what I was thinking to buy
Synlogy NS220J with 2 x 4TB Ironwolf drives.

Need some advice on Synology postsales support

I have very limited knowledge about storage, hence need guidance

I haven't seen Synology with many sellers here so unsure of support. Whatever is available is super overpriced. Since you're using drives of same capacity, I assume running in RAID 1, QNAP, WD, Asus are all good alternatives. QNAP and WD are widely available with sellers. For 2 bay systems it doesn't really make a difference. Just look for warranty and gigabit lan. If you have a mac, look for timemachine support. After this, its just whichever offers good pricepoint.

Synology makes more sense if you have a lot of disks or future need. Some of the NAS units can be expanded by adding more storage units. Another advantage with synology is btrfs/hybrid raid which allows to use drives of varying capacity in the same NAS and utilise most of the storage space.

Thanks @Arya. There is one more reason for Synology which is missing in WD that is ability to run VM and Docker Containers. The model I chose NS220J doesn't have that so I have to go with a higher model. I will have to go with 220+ or equivalent. I am aware that they are expensive but if I buy additional server to run the VMs and Containers, combined price will be similar..
Are you aware if QNAP or ASUS has the capability to run VMs? I am sure WD hasn't

Could you specify what do you want to exactly do? As in what backups you want to store? This would allow us to give you an idea on what to buy or do a DIY. Also how many users.

The entry level Synology devices do not come with advanced features, but they can backup the data that you store on it to the cloud.

If you want to run docker and etc, I would suggest to pickup a RPi4 with 4GB and setup the same. For VMs, etc, instead move to Proxmox/ESXi or Windows 10 with Hyper V.

At the end of the day, i would instead suggest to use Google Photos for the photos clicked on the phone, Whatsapp will do backup to Drive or iCloud (dunno if latter is free, former is free for Android). For the laptops i think you can get away with 2-3 O365 Home Premium licenses, which will make it much cheaper if taken in sharing ~ 2.7K approx yearly. A RPI can easily do the NAS duties with external HDD.

Could you specify what do you want to exactly do? As in what backups you want to store? This would allow us to give you an idea on what to buy or do a DIY. Also how many users.

The entry level Synology devices do not come with advanced features, but they can backup the data that you store on it to the cloud.

If you want to run docker and etc, I would suggest to pickup a RPi4 with 4GB and setup the same. For VMs, etc, instead move to Proxmox/ESXi or Windows 10 with Hyper V.

At the end of the day, i would instead suggest to use Google Photos for the photos clicked on the phone, Whatsapp will do backup to Drive or iCloud (dunno if latter is free, former is free for Android). For the laptops i think you can get away with 2-3 O365 Home Premium licenses, which will make it much cheaper if taken in sharing ~ 2.7K approx yearly. A RPI can easily do the NAS duties with external HDD.
@vivek.krishnan how about a cheap NUC. Is it good to run 24x7 ?

@vivek.krishnan how about a cheap NUC. Is it good to run 24x7 ?

Ideally no. Instead look at the small form factor PCs from Dell/Lenovo which have proper fans and cooling. Optionally, look at desktops as well, but the power draw will be on the higher side.

If you still want to stick to NUCs, ensure you have some extra cooling for it. I know of one case where the m2 and HDD inside a NUC sorta died.

Did you end up buying ? I am thinking of getting the DS220+. I already have a WD EX2 Ultra, been happy with it but want to upgrade now.

I have 2 syno units that I had got from the US - both aren't supported or capable of being repaired here. So the support is non-existent. I am looking for a motherboard repair company to take a shot at repairing these. I don't know how the experience is if you bought the NAS here - but in general there seems to be a reluctance and concern in getting these boxes repaired

I have 2 syno units that I had got from the US - both aren't supported or capable of being repaired here. So the support is non-existent. I am looking for a motherboard repair company to take a shot at repairing these. I don't know how the experience is if you bought the NAS here - but in general there seems to be a reluctance and concern in getting these boxes repaired

May I know what happened to both of them ? How long did they last ?

Gamers nexus did a couple of videos on synology

being that said; I think buying a pc is a safer bet. I dont suggest raid, both software/hardware. if you insist raid, get a hardware raid card like lsi and atleast 5 drives. double digit raid, raid 60 and such. carefully label the drives so that you could build the raid properly later and support with a hot swap.

coming to software... plain Linux with zfs if you chose raid. Best case is not using raid and installing ceph with erasure coding. but ceph configuration is an elaborate process. with ceph you get object store, nfs and samba on the same filesystem as well as you could pull out drives and it automatically re-balances.

That's pretty bad. I already have a WD one but I wanted more features and the compact size of a pre built NAS is an advantage compared to building one yourself (I do have limited space where its going to be) and Synology's DSM software is better compared to WD, especially you can add Docker containers and stuff. Damn, Looks like I need to look at other options.

This is heart breaking.

The software is damn good and honestly that's why I got them in the first place. No other software comes close.

DS411 model - Power supply went down, got it repaired. Some it has some CPU fan issue. Very specific rotor locked fans are required - gotten them from Singapore now. Seems to have a SATA plate issue - not sure if that can be resolved.

DS1815 - Oh god - the Intel C2000 atom bug. Every single machine from that time has died without a certain 'resistor' fix. I applied the fix - but still no luck. Now Power Supply is down - on plugging a regular one - power supply is in - but the motherboard still won't post. Its a beast of a machine .. but currently I have 2 paper weights. I have been looking for a motherboard repairing company or person - but haven't come across a good enough person to get this out of the way

The software is damn good and honestly that's why I got them in the first place. No other software comes close.

DS411 model - Power supply went down, got it repaired. Some it has some CPU fan issue. Very specific rotor locked fans are required - gotten them from Singapore now. Seems to have a SATA plate issue - not sure if that can be resolved.

DS1815 - Oh god - the Intel C2000 atom bug. Every single machine from that time has died without a certain 'resistor' fix. I applied the fix - but still no luck. Now Power Supply is down - on plugging a regular one - power supply is in - but the motherboard still won't post. Its a beast of a machine .. but currently I have 2 paper weights. I have been looking for a motherboard repairing company or person - but haven't come across a good enough person to get this out of the way

They do have Power supply issues as per my research. I wonder if they have fixed these in their latest versions.

Xpenology is an option which allows you to enjoy the Synology experience on Intel/AMD hardware. It requires some DIY but the end result is really satisfactory.

Thank you, I will look into it more.

if you are okay with doing some linux terminal stuff, setting up raspberry pi as a nas server actually is pretty straight forward. since nas doesnt require a lot of compute, and raspberry pi is more than powerful to handle that stuff. ofcourse, the hdds would have to be usb etc...

Thank you @boooo , But I doubt a Raspberry pi can handle Plex and Transcoding. Not sure about their latest model but I do have Raspberry Pi 3B+ model and it isn't very powerful.

I'm running my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB one as Torrentbox, Plex Server, Pihole and Samba based file server, all at the same time and it's not even overclocked yet. The OpenMediaVault is a dedicated distro for Pi to turn it into a dedicated NAS setup. Add to this the fact that new I/O board for newer Raspberry Compute module has dedicated PCIe bus which has been leveraged by Makers to build a 4 bay NAS, shows how far along the Pi has come.

I'm running my Raspberry Pi 4 4GB one as Torrentbox, Plex Server, Pihole and Samba based file server, all at the same time and it's not even overclocked yet. The OpenMediaVault is a dedicated distro for Pi to turn it into a dedicated NAS setup. Add to this the fact that new I/O board for newer Raspberry Compute module has dedicated PCIe bus which has been leveraged by Makers to build a 4 bay NAS, shows how far along the Pi has come.

Would you mind sharing couple of pics and your total cost of this whole setup ?

Back