Anyone here in the Agriculture/farming field?

Additional to common food items, won't hurt to try some exotic variety of fruits and vegetables which may be a better VFM depending on the climate zone you are in.

Aur kuch nahi to grow Mushrooms, you can use plastic bottles. Coke Bottles etc., at least some hands-on. Stop the talk here and make your next move. Heck, you just grow seeds in the seeds tray, at least do something. This chatting won't help until you pick up a spade and start doing something productive with it. You wont believe but sometimes when we don't get labor on time or early morning, Me and My Dad (He is 70), we would be digging the farm on our own.
We ploughed a lot in the past week as we did not get labor from Morning till Evening with a spade only. You have to do this, in order to meet the deadline because a delay will lead to bad yield. So this is Farming brother, when you have to spray the Apples, even if the Sun moves from West to East, you have to Spray.

Update: I still cannot find any barley seeds producers and some specific soya variety. Anyone else got any info? Assam would be great since its near. I can't imagine how much it would cost to transport a truckload of grains from mainland India.

This thread is an interesting read. Can someone point to any source to read more on agriculture basics? The question may look basic but that's because I've no experience in agriculture, other than watering my mom's plants in the terrace, pretty sure flowers come under different part of agriculture.
We have a small land in the South but it's just sitting there useless, would love to try something in that as I'm sitting in home useless too. Looks like I've been living in fantasy after reading all those FB posts about new young farmers getting in and doing great in agriculture. Now I can see it's a long grind.

Update: I still cannot find any barley seeds producers and some specific soya variety. Anyone else got any info? Assam would be great since its near. I can't imagine how much it would cost to transport a truckload of grains from mainland India.
Have you been to a grain mandi close to you. Those guys should be able to arrange barley pretty easily.

This thread is an interesting read. Can someone point to any source to read more on agriculture basics? The question may look basic but that's because I've no experience in agriculture, other than watering my mom's plants in the terrace, pretty sure flowers come under different part of agriculture.
We have a small land in the South but it's just sitting there useless, would love to try something in that as I'm sitting in home useless too. Looks like I've been living in fantasy after reading all those FB posts about new young farmers getting in and doing great in agriculture. Now I can see it's a long grind.
You should read your story or better India. So many success stories. First thing to do in that land is digging. Get your hands dirty first with soil, grow chillies, veggies for some knowledge and then take a deep plunge. You'll love your first farm produce.

You should read your story or better India. So many success stories. First thing to do in that land is digging. Get your hands dirty first with soil, grow chillies, veggies for some knowledge and then take a deep plunge. You'll love your first farm produce.
Ya I've been following better India, was seeing so many successful stories of young farmers. I guess first we must research in to what the soil is suitable to grow, climate conditions, then decide which crops are profitable and plan accordingly right?

Ya I've been following better India, was seeing so many successful stories of young farmers. I guess first we must research in to what the soil is suitable to grow, climate conditions, then decide which crops are profitable and plan accordingly right?
If you stay away from the location and can't visit often, then do some research on Agroforestry and do something in that.
Also like every other field, the success stories make their way to the media, but the 9 that failed out of the 10,no one talks about them.

If you stay away from the location and can't visit often, then do some research on Agroforestry and do something in that.
Also like every other field, the success stories make their way to the media, but the 9 that failed out of the 10,no one talks about them.
Agreed , it's not that far though only some 20 mins travel.

Have you been to a grain mandi close to you. Those guys should be able to arrange barley pretty easily.
No. Not a single soul in my state has any idea about it or at least that's what they claimed. I've visited the concerned departments and offices and no one wanted to help. I tried to get an appointment with a babuji but still now unable to.
I thought the fb groups would be able to help but comments are full of spam and they don't bother to reply back so I gave up there as well.
Someone here said "over inflated success stories" (I lol'd so much when I read it) and I kinda agree lol.

Last edited:
No. Not a single soul in my state has any idea about it or at least that's what they claimed. I've visited the concerned departments and offices and no one wanted to help. I tried to get an appointment with a babuji but still now unable to.
I thought the fb groups would be able to help but comments are full of spam and they don't bother to reply back so I gave up there as well.

Someone here said "over inflated success stories" (I lol'd so much when I read it) and I kinda agree lol.
In our Panchayat, a lad with IIT DEGREE, gave up his job, came back and grows only tomatoes. Local variety and not the hybrid ones. Took him 3 years of hardwork but he is making 15 to 18 lakhs by just selling them only.
The land we use favours legumes, tomatoes potatoes, peas, beans and not to forget ginger a lot.

M learning agriculture from my father by tagging along with him. Right now we have Sugarcane planted in 20 Acres of land, Paddy in another 10 Acres. Have kept 2 acres "free" for cattle feed and veggies which currently includes Green Chillies and Capsicum.

googlefu:

For Barley seeds, search for:
Kisan Beej Bhandar, Barpeta Road, Masjid Complex, Near- Jamme Masjid, Nalbari, Assam, 781315, India

Also comes up: Krishi Kalyan Beej Bhandar

And then you should read my biography when I write one. So many unpublished flop stories.
Let me know the seed varieties you are looking for. I can post it in some of my farmer groups. Do let me know where you need it and quantity. The more specific you are the better are the chances of procuring the seeds.

Bhai, we in Himachal get it from Block Development Office or go to Nauni University. Let me see if I can get some details on it. PM your exact location.

Sorry for the delay. Didn't see this notification. I'll PM you the details.

And then you should read my biography when I write one. So many unpublished flop stories.
Actually looking forward to it. I stopped reading yourstory long ago. That's just an advertisement for the companies and free content for the YS imo anyway.

Last edited:
Is there any app or site which provides or keeps track of prices of Fertilizers and other x-cides in Indian market ?
What exactly do you need to keep track of? If it is general off the shelf stuff then you can get them on Bighaat.com, agribegri.com and kisanestore.com.

Zinc, Super Phosphate, Potash, Urea, DAP, Sulphur, Butachlor, Regent, Virtako
Will be needing the above for my Paddy crop. Want to keep track prices of Potash, Phosphate and DAP as need them for all my major crops(Wheat, Paddy,Sugarcane) round the year.

What exactly do you need to keep track of? If it is general off the shelf stuff then you can get them on Bighaat.com, agribegri.com and kisanestore.com.
Do you have recommendations for companies which sell "organic fertilizers" and other essentials?

Back