Anyone left Reddit completely and moved somewhere else? What was your experience like?

Reddit/Quora is now so on-sided tbh. Bots ruling the party and replies are only given to the chosen one while most posts have zero responses even after bumps..
Forums like TE is the true way of interaction. I always standby forums unless it has mostly moved the base to telegram kids zone!

For any hobby reddit is still king. All reddit alternatives are mostly for controversial stuff, and attract the most miserable contrarian types who eventually overrun the place.

Its been a while since I joined Reddit... not been long. But my experience has been really really bad.

I play Dank Memer on Discord, and joined Reddit specially for that, since apart from their support server, which is very restrictive, only other place where you can get support from others and sometimes developers too, is Reddit. When I signed up, and logged in, I was forced to choose 2 other categories to add to my profile. So, I chose gardening and photography, which I like.

I posted a helpful post about Neem oil in a gardening thread. It was not a bad advice, but it was considered not good by the other gardeners, and they just down voted my post a lot. My karma went from positive to negative. And since then, Reddit has been horrible with my posts.

I post something and although I see that it has been posted, but others cannot see my post until after a long time. By then, someone else post similar comment and gets the karma that my comment would have got, or, no one posts on that thread anymore.

I am unable to post multiple comments in succession. Like, if I posted once or maybe twice in different threads, it won't allow me to post for sometime. Sometimes, it gives me notification that I can post after so and so minutes. But sometimes, just no information, just won't allow my comment to be posted. Sick of it!

Seems like I am being shadow banned on Reddit. Really stupid system. I am not even spamming, or didnt even post anything which would be considered out of rules.

I can't even post a separate thread. Reddit just won't let me post. Maybe, there is some rule of that subreddit, where I should have a number of comments posted, or get some amount of karma after which I can post a new thread, but there is no information on that.

Really horrible experience.

Plus, they changed the website UI recently. After that, it has become even more terrible. I keep getting server error (dont remember exact message), on every page that I open. I cannot see my avatar, and certain features don't work.

And I think Reddit have banned all third party apps? And not a long time back, I think they had issues with the moderators too, because of which many left, and many communities were closed.

Am not surprised considering how it all works.

If they have a problem with my account, say it upfront, but nah, they just shadow ban me. Stupid Reddit... just terrible experience.

So, I just confirmed today that my account is being shadowbanned. I searched around on Google, and then got to know how I can check for shadowban. I opened my profile from another browser without being logged in, and it says this account has been suspended. Ridiculous! I didnt do anything to violate the rules. Just because a whole lot of people decided to downvote my comment in a community, I am being shadowbanned. This sucks.

Anyways, I searched and found out what to do. There is an appeal form, and I just appealed there a while ago. Let's hope they will restore my account to normal.

What a rubbish system they have.

So, I just confirmed today that my account is being shadowbanned. I searched around on Google, and then got to know how I can check for shadowban. I opened my profile from another browser without being logged in, and it says this account has been suspended. Ridiculous! I didnt do anything to violate the rules. Just because a whole lot of people decided to downvote my comment in a community, I am being shadowbanned. This sucks.

Anyways, I searched and found out what to do. There is an appeal form, and I just appealed there a while ago. Let's hope they will restore my account to normal.

What a rubbish system they have.
Do you have link to that down voted post?
The karma is just gimmick, make other account and move on.

Do you have link to that down voted post?

My ID there is KrazyLooneyWabbit

About my post there, I have personally used Neem oil in my garden to get rid of pests, and I have read it is not harmful to the other useful insects like Ladybug etc. Many gardeners use it, even in the west. I was really surprised to see the amount of downvotes on my post. It was like they all ganged up on me. If I was wrong, they could have corrected me, but instead, they chose to downvote, when my post wasn't even bad advice. It is supposed to be a community, but didn't feel like it at all. I was really disappointed with this downvoting, and after that, my comment posting started to have problems. I left that community after a few days, so that I don't get tempted to post somewhere again and risk being downvoted more.
The karma is just gimmick, make other account and move on.
It might be seen as ban evasion, and that might get my accounts banned. So, I will see how it goes with the appeal. My account should be restored, since I didn't do anything wrong. Let's see.
I am definitely not in the wrong here. I posted within rules, and if someone can see all my posts, they have been cordial and I have been tried to be helpful. But really, their system sucks basically.

looks like your account is deleted. It just says deleted now. Only reason i think it is your account is this stupid question to it - How does neem oil distinguish between pests and beneficial?

no use trying to get your account back. Don't feel sad. I got banned on twitter years back without even posting anything. lol. xshitter is even worse now.

Only reason i think it is your account is this stupid question to it - How does neem oil distinguish between pests and beneficial?
That's a valid question tbh. Not all insects are pests. Bees and butterflies are insects but we don't think of them as pests. Pesticides are still harmful towards them.

looks like your account is deleted. It just says deleted now. Only reason i think it is your account is this stupid question to it - How does neem oil distinguish between pests and beneficial?
Account isn't deleted. I just logged in to my account. And I don't think they can delete an account. All they can do is ban it, temporarily or permanently. Deleting an account is from the user's end.

Strange. My comments do appear deleted, when I view that thread while being logged out. But, when I am into my account, I can see my name there with my comment. Lol... what a shit system Reddit run

no use trying to get your account back. Don't feel sad. I got banned on twitter years back without even posting anything. lol. xshitter is even worse now.
Lol, really, Twitter is so shit now. Even advertisers are running away. I have an account there, but I rarely login.

Years ago, I had deleted the account, but Twitter being strange, even after the stipulated amount of time which is required for u to not log in for the account to get deleted, it wasn't deleted. *Facepalm

I do feel sad here though, because my intentions on Reddit aren't bad, and I complied by the rules, still, I am being shadowbanned. When I am not wrong, it hurts to be treated like that, and that too, by a flawed system. Many new Reddit users face this issue and this drives them away from Reddit. Even their moderators get caught up in this system. Also, I have seen posts about old users with very good karma, not being active there, and then returning to find themselves being shadowbanned.

When the system you put to safeguard from spammers and bad actors, starts to act against good users too, then there is something really wrong with that system, and it needs to be changed.

That's a valid question tbh. Not all insects are pests. Bees and butterflies are insects but we don't think of them as pests. Pesticides are still harmful towards them.
I agree it was a valid question. And I did give a honest answer that "I have no idea about that, but that's how it works. You can read the benefits of using Neem oil on the internet." I think that reply of mine triggered them even more and they downvoted this too.

But, mind you, Neem oil isn't a pesticide in the regular sense, I mean it is not chemical, it is purely natural organic pesticide, and therefore, it is not harmful to the beneficial insects. I had even posted these links as a reply to PensiveObserver there.

But, by then, since my 2 comments were so heavily downvoted, my replies got hidden, and one can read them only if they felt curious what was hidden, or if they chose to read them.

Anyways, I will wait it out and see what they do.

Now that I think of it though, another thing which could have resulted in suspension of my account was that I downvoted a person's comments a lot, because he was really being very rude towards the users who were posting comments. He had started a thread asking for which UPI does everyone use, and besides 1-2 regular ones, he put in one that I think he wanted to advertise, and when people wrote names of UPIs that they use, he just posted "shit" or something like that, and so I downvoted many of his posts. Maybe that triggered the Reddit filter.

Many others downvoted him too though, because that guy was being really rude.

Here's that thread. Lol, I just opened that thread and saw, all his replies have been deleted. And his ID appears deleted too. A case of ban or account suspension perhaps.

Sheesh man! Really stupid system which doesn't distinguish between good and bad users.

Last edited:
o_O
If neem oil was alive and intelligent enough to figure out what to hurt and not hurt, then i would say its valid. Neem oil is a byproduct. It's just oil from seeds and fruits of the tree.

How does neem oil work?​

Neem oil is made of many components. Azadirachtin is the most active.It reduces insect feeding and acts as a repellent. It also interferes with insect hormone systems, making it harder for insects to grow and lay eggs. Azadirachtin can also repel and reduce the feeding of nematodes. Other components of neem oil kill insects by hindering their ability to feed. However, the exact role of every component is not known.

Can neem oil affect birds, fish, or other wildlife?​

Neem oil is practically non-toxic to birds, mammals, bees and plants. Neem oil is slightly toxic to fish and other aquatic organisms. Azadirachtin, a component of neem oil, is moderately toxic to fish and other aquatic animals. It is important to remember that insects must eat the treated plant to be killed. Therefore, bees and other pollinators are notlikely to be harmed.

Do you ask Bayer if their pesticide can distinguish between good insects and not so good insects? What is the definition of pests? It just means insects that we don't like eating our food. Do pesticides have that data input into them or are the various chemicals in them somehow harmful to the particular insects? pesticide is just a carpet bombing plants with poison to kill a dozen or so different varieties of insects. Chemical pesticides even spread out into open due to wind and stay for weeks in soil and water table. Even humans die if they get pesticide poisoning.

Last edited:
Reddit is sort of ok for getting help, depending on the sub. I get replies in subs related to phyical stuff(workout and such) but often don't get replies for stuff like languages in the popular subs, whereas I'd always get decent replies in active forums. Unfortunately, a lot of forums and their culture is dead.

For hobbies, I feel it may be ok if the hobby is a niche and there aren't that many people on the subreddit. For more popular stuff, I don't like it personally. Though for hobbies and such there're other options as people want to retain the culture surrounding forums, which may not be the case for things like languages.

For Indian city related stuff, there aren't alternatives, but I'm surprised there aren't that many useful communities given that there're so many Indians online. I guess people just go online to view reels and share stuff created by political coolies. Even on TE, the amount of users is too little. You'd think that there would be much more people wanting to sell their stuff on classifieds given that there aren't many other reliable markets.
Another problem with reddit is power tripping mods. For example, a thread I made regarding my stolen on phone on the local subreddit got shadow banned.

I mean it is not chemical
That's funny. I saw a newspaper ad for an edible oil brand that claimed to have "no chemicals". I showed it to my uncle, a retired organic chemistry professor, and he had a field day ridiculing that ad. He kept pointing out things like "water is a chemical", "oxygen is a chemical" etc.

Not worth banning anyone, of course.

That's funny. I saw a newspaper ad for an edible oil brand that claimed to have "no chemicals". I showed it to my uncle, a retired organic chemistry professor, and he had a field day ridiculing that ad. He kept pointing out things like "water is a chemical", "oxygen is a chemical" etc.
That's just being too technical lol. Of course everything is chemical if you down into the technicality, but you know what I meant. Neem oil is purely natural and organic. No other substance added. Although I think nowadays companies do add something to make it easily water soluble, but that's not how it should be done. It is done for the ease of customers. Because, Neem oil doesn't mix with water, and therefore a bit of soap solution is mixed into it to make it soluble in water. I always buy the pure one which doesn't have anything mixed in it.

By chemical, we know what it means. Those are harmful substances which aren't natural or organic, and are even harmful for us, like chemical fertilizers like urea, etc.

Cannot find that message nor your username in that topic.
Just ignore that username, make a new one and move on..
I have been down voted on r/india soo many times with lame users, I respect all religions.
But I cant speak there language about anti-india anti-hindu etc..

I have 2 accounts on reddit, for work and non-work.. but now dont use non-work account except when i have time to kill (last used was 5 months ago)
One of this accounts have over 50K karma.

For work related discussions, productivity tools I am using, there is nothing else better then reddit at the moment.

o_O
If neem oil was alive and intelligent enough to figure out what to hurt and not hurt, then i would say its valid. Neem oil is a byproduct. It's just oil from seeds and fruits of the tree.

Do you ask Bayer if their pesticide can distinguish between good insects and not so good insects? What is the definition of pests? It just means insects that we don't like eating our food. Do pesticides have that data input into them or are the various chemicals in them somehow harmful to the particular insects? pesticide is just a carpet bombing plants with poison to kill a dozen or so different varieties of insects. Chemical pesticides even spread out into open due to wind and stay for weeks in soil and water table. Even humans die if they get pesticide poisoning.

Bruh. What's the point of this post exactly?

Literally no one is talking about pesticides in general, which we all know are bad.

From the link and the context given, it's clear that @CapriAnupam made claim that it is useful against pests but not other insects and people questioned that claim.

About my post there, I have personally used Neem oil in my garden to get rid of pests, and I have read it is not harmful to the other useful insects like Ladybug

But now there's some awareness about protecting local ecosystem so people are making each other aware about potential pitfalls of using 'reliable' or 'traditional' methods like neem oil which is harmful for all insects, even the ones you don't want to hurt.

Seems like my appeal was successful, and the shadowban on my account has been lifted. I was able to view my profile being logged out of Reddit. I can also see my posts, although still hidden, in that Gardening thread, being logged out. My comments there appeared as deleted before this.

I think I will have to be very careful now of what I post on Reddit, or what I do. Don't want to be caught again by their filter.

But really, this system of theirs is flawed, and even the old regular Redditers accept that new Reddit users, even with good intentions often get caught up in this, and end up disliking Reddit. Some don't return.

I understand these are methods put there to prevent spammers and/or people with bad intents, but if innocent people are getting caught in this, and that too a lot, then it needs to be changed.

A number of people ganging up on someone and downvoting the comment, even if it wasnt breaking any rules, or wasn't abusive or didnt had any bad intent, that's not a good system. This isnt how communities are supposed to be.

>That's funny. I saw a newspaper ad for an edible oil brand that claimed to have "no chemicals". I showed it to my uncle, a retired organic chemistry professor, and he had a field day ridiculing that ad. He kept pointing out things like "water is a chemical", "oxygen is a chemical" etc.

@kiran6680

So is Potassium cyanide, the thing is when, where and how to use it.

Back