Apple announces lossless Apple Music is coming in June at no added cost

Seems like it was all marketing and hype and actual quality it seems is nowhere near tidal.
If they offer it in India, we should be more concerned about how it compares with Saavn, gaana, spotify, youtube music and Amazon music

I think it is a good step and they will eventually offer it in India. Then gradually providers will match that too if it gains traction

If they offer it in India, we should be more concerned about how it compares with Saavn, gaana, spotify, youtube music and Amazon music

I think it is a good step and they will eventually offer it in India. Then gradually providers will match that too if it gains traction
Spotify has already announced its hifi service. Tidal once you register via vpn is fully available and working in India without vpn.

So we need not compare to 320 kbps.

Has anyone compared Tidal MQA with Qobuz Hi-Res, I heard somewhere that MQA sounds more musical but still little curious if it's true.

Spotify has already announced its hifi service. Tidal once you register via vpn is fully available and working in India without vpn.

So we need not compare to 320 kbps.
Hmm then you are right, it may make sense for some folks. I will speak for myself. There is no way i am paying 20 dollars a month for a music subscription. I have recently got an amazing open back and am certainly interested in music listening . But paying US subscription fee from India is something i cannot afford.
The sum total of all my subscriptions is way less than 12000 per year.
It includes ott, music and meditation apps.
So i am comparing it with services in India. At 1000 per year, if AM sounds better than 320kbps then it will at nudge other providers to match it. If it gains traction that is.

Its not enabled for me yet even though . Seems to be a gradual rollout. Probably they are testing the server scaling for such large streams.
Anyways, it doesn't matter much to me because till now I have not been able to discern any difference between 128kbps & 320kbps music. Let's see if Dolby Atmos or Spatial Audio on AirPods Pro changes that.

Its not enabled for me yet even though . Seems to be a gradual rollout. Probably they are testing the server scaling for such large streams.
Anyways, it doesn't matter much to me because till now I have not been able to discern any difference between 128kbps & 320kbps music. Let's see if Dolby Atmos or Spatial Audio on AirPods Pro changes that.
If you have a decent pair of Wired headphones, would urge you to try it out on a computer or anything with a decent dac. It is very easy to hear the difference between a 320 kbps mp3 and 800-1600 kbps flac file.. At least this is what I have found

I want Dolby Atmos. Why am I still not getting it? My software is up to date. 14.6. No atmos settings in music settings also. So disappointed
What!!?? You want the Atmos thing in music? Tinnitus ke saath vertigo vi chhayihan kya as free add on?
Bhai mera, instead of spending entirely on hardware ( specially Apple garbage) start buying legal high res music.
Agar aap ek audiophile ho to please paisa waste maat karo on overpriced things like airpods Pro.
Mano ya na mano, maine ek idiot ki tara 2-3 lakh rupiya waste kiya on headphones and IEMs.
Ab mujhe pata hai ye sab Audeze, Campfire jaise brands ullu bante hai logo ko ( some idiots with 2-3 years of experience in audio has this misconception that brands like Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser make overpriced products and some reviewers like Crinacle etc. try their best with FRCs, vague descriptive terms to confuse already confused audiophiles. I can bet Crinacle knows absolutely nothing about how audio is measured objectively and what is the whole point of it)
All one needs is a pair of open back headphones ( under 200 EUR) and a decent IEM ( under 100EU) for all kind of music consumption. The next logical step up will cost 1000 times more involving electrostatic set ups for consumer audio.
In anyone here visits Prague in near future, I will be glad to demonstrate this.
Humble request; please don't waste money on hyped up expensive stuff ( specially IEMs) if you have a lot of disposable income, get yourself a pair of custom IEMs.
I'm thoroughly disgusted by Raghav @ headphonezone, he's a nice person, but as the owner of the largest online audio store in India, he doesn't know anything about production. Without the basic knowledge, you will be fooled by IEMs like Andromeda ( I possibly still have the older version somewhere back home, as it's not usable..it smoothens up everything above 8k..if you guys know how drum mics are set up, you will take 2 seconds to figure out how horribly it messes up the OH and try to compensate it by room mic..I'm in the production game long enough to figure out at least the drum sound in all Led Zeppelin songs and Sabbath's first 4 albums..a dirt cheap OPPOTY does a better job than Andromeda in this department. Same with Starfield, another crappy IEM...with these IEMs you can't even detect a gated reverb on snare drums!!
People talk about enjoyment not technicalities in music..but they don't know the huge drum sound of Zeppelin can only be appreciated properly by the super clever recording techniques ( Bonzo was a beast, but that huge sound is simply not possible without some audio engineering magic and an audiophile must understand some of it...if somebody doesn't understand reverb tails, gates, parallel compression, what will he/ she enjoy? Tyll knew these things, joker too, but this Crinacle guy does not. And it shows..heck Crinacle doesn't even understand why people mix in mono!!

Last edited:
I'm ded. Such belief, much nevergiveup.
After your rant, I'm even more inclined get an open back headphone down the line. Since you are in music production I'd love to know what would be your recommendations, or even what you use for work.
For work, I use a lot of expensive (and mostly useless otherwise) headphones ( mostly to check the mix). But I make some money from the work.
For consumption, now only have a pair of HD560s with laptop. The same headphones with a dongle ( got for less than 3EUR from a roadside mobile repair shop in kolkata) for a stupid iphone. Don't have anything else.

Suggestion: Get something inexpensive like HD598/599 ( used if possible) Very non offensive smooth sounding headphones.
If you really want to spend more...hifiman Deva ( not HE400 or any variant).

For work, I use a lot of expensive (and mostly useless otherwise) headphones ( mostly to check the mix). But I make some money from the work.
For consumption, now only have a pair of HD560s with laptop. The same headphones with a dongle ( got for less than 3EUR from a roadside mobile repair shop in kolkata) for a stupid iphone. Don't have anything else.

Suggestion: Get something inexpensive like HD598/599 ( used if possible) Very non offensive smooth sounding headphones.
If you really want to spend more...hifiman Deva ( not HE400 or any variant).
Was eyeing Sennheiser open backs for some time now (Tried M50 but sound stage was really small, detail and bass was nice tho)

How does the HD599 SE compare to the 598? Reason I am asking is that I can only find the 599 SE. No listings for the 598 anywhere.
Not listened to the 598 but still have the 599se. Quite comfortable (I have slightly bigger ears), reasonably good sound stage and a tad more bass (not overwhelming though) is how I would describe them.
There is an used 598SR available at HPZ. No idea how diff it is from 598. Maybe one of the exp. folks can confirm.

Last edited:
What!!?? You want the Atmos thing in music? Tinnitus ke saath vertigo vi chhayihan kya as free add on?
Bhai mera, instead of spending entirely on hardware ( specially Apple garbage) start buying legal high res music.
Agar aap ek audiophile ho to please paisa waste maat karo on overpriced things like airpods Pro.
Mano ya na mano, maine ek idiot ki tara 2-3 lakh rupiya waste kiya on headphones and IEMs.
Ab mujhe pata hai ye sab Audeze, Campfire jaise brands ullu bante hai logo ko ( some idiots with 2-3 years of experience in audio has this misconception that brands like Beyerdynamics, Sennheiser make overpriced products and some reviewers like Crinacle etc. try their best with FRCs, vague descriptive terms to confuse already confused audiophiles. I can bet Crinacle knows absolutely nothing about how audio is measured objectively and what is the whole point of it)
All one needs is a pair of open back headphones ( under 200 EUR) and a decent IEM ( under 100EU) for all kind of music consumption. The next logical step up will cost 1000 times more involving electrostatic set ups for consumer audio.
In anyone here visits Prague in near future, I will be glad to demonstrate this.
Humble request; please don't waste money on hyped up expensive stuff ( specially IEMs) if you have a lot of disposable income, get yourself a pair of custom IEMs.
I'm thoroughly disgusted by Raghav @ headphonezone, he's a nice person, but as the owner of the largest online audio store in India, he doesn't know anything about production. Without the basic knowledge, you will be fooled by IEMs like Andromeda ( I possibly still have the older version somewhere back home, as it's not usable..it smoothens up everything above 8k..if you guys know how drum mics are set up, you will take 2 seconds to figure out how horribly it messes up the OH and try to compensate it by room mic..I'm in the production game long enough to figure out at least the drum sound in all Led Zeppelin songs and Sabbath's first 4 albums..a dirt cheap OPPOTY does a better job than Andromeda in this department. Same with Starfield, another crappy IEM...with these IEMs you can't even detect a gated reverb on snare drums!!
People talk about enjoyment not technicalities in music..but they don't know the huge drum sound of Zeppelin can only be appreciated properly by the super clever recording techniques ( Bonzo was a beast, but that huge sound is simply not possible without some audio engineering magic and an audiophile must understand some of it...if somebody doesn't understand reverb tails, gates, parallel compression, what will he/ she enjoy? Tyll knew these things, joker too, but this Crinacle guy does not. And it shows..heck Crinacle doesn't even understand why people mix in mono!!
AirPods Pro is so convenient to use and carry. It seamlessly switches between my multiple apple devices which none of your mentioned headphones can.
I don't really like wired ones either nor have tried the ones you like. They might sound better than AirPods but I have never felt AirPods Pro sounded bad especially with active noise cancellation on which again is excellent for how small and light AirPods Pro is. I wouldn't even bother checking out those big open back or whatever headphones as it's not going to work for me.
Can they be used at the gym while sweating or riding a bike? How about when your want to cancel out the outside world in an airport? Or take calls on my iphone while watching movies on my MacBook or iPad Pro? AirPods Pro is amazing for people in the apple ecosystem and use multiple apple devices like me and I'm still waiting for my Apple Music update to checkout this latest hype.

Yes, you are the perfect Apple's target. Naive, Inexperienced and borderline arrogant ( that you can afford all Apple product)
Lemme school you in this matter. You can perfectly use a 2000INR TWS in gyms or riding a bike. I have taken boxing lessons for months with wired IEMs without any problem.
Regarding travel, a pair of full sized BTNC headphones are far more practical option ( not going into details...take some inter continental flights, even in business class, you will understand)
There are plenty of wireless headphones will let you switch your calls and movies on your precious MBPs and ipad "Pro"s if you know few very basic things.
BTW, some of us do use headphones which cost more than all your ipads, MBPs, iphones, earpod pros combined. And we proudly use Windows 10 and Android phones ( cheap ones) with them.
Wanna get some more? Digest hua kya? Apple dikha raha hai!! Humlog apke classmates nehi hai bhai. Most of us have left Apple when you were learning alphabets.

Yes, you are the perfect Apple's target. Naive, Inexperienced and borderline arrogant ( that you can afford all Apple product)
Lemme school you in this matter. You can perfectly use a 2000INR TWS in gyms or riding a bike. I have taken boxing lessons for months with wired IEMs without any problem.
Regarding travel, a pair of full sized BTNC headphones are far more practical option ( not going into details...take some inter continental flights, even in business class, you will understand)
There are plenty of wireless headphones will let you switch your calls and movies on your precious MBPs and ipad "Pro"s if you know few very basic things.
BTW, some of us do use headphones which cost more than all your ipads, MBPs, iphones, earpod pros combined. And we proudly use Windows 10 and Android phones ( cheap ones) with them.
Wanna get some more? Digest hua kya? Apple dikha raha hai!! Humlog apke classmates nehi hai bhai. Most of us have left Apple when you were learning alphabets.
haha.. not surprised . I was expecting this kind of reply when I posted. Just being able to afford some apple products is no achievement idk why anyone would think so let alone arrogant. I merely was stating the fact about how they work so well within the ecosystem. Let me tell you about apple's perfect target. They are people who appreciate aesthetic design, build quality and ease of use while using any apple product and willing to pay a premium price for this experience. Everything just works all the time like it's supposed to and it keeps working for years.
Exactly the same reason why I got fed up with windows and switched to a Mac. I just didn't want to be bothered with googling and troubleshooting when something stops working on windows.
Ok,
1. would you like to help me out buying a wireless earphones with active noise cancelling and can switch between multiple devices I use that is also sweat resistant , since you seem to be an expert on this subject? I would also like to try it and check it out myself before buying.
2. This is asking for help to a proud windows user : I am not able to connect my bluetooth mouse (tried Logitech mx master and also anker one) no matter what I did. All softwares are updated and windows support blames the hardware manufacturer and asks me to contact them or format and install windows again. My Sony bluetooth headphones connects and work though. What windows magic is this? Same both mouse works fine with Mac perfectly.

AirPods Pro is so convenient to use and carry. It seamlessly switches between my multiple apple devices which none of your mentioned headphones can.
I don't really like wired ones either nor have tried the ones you like. They might sound better than AirPods but I have never felt AirPods Pro sounded bad especially with active noise cancellation on which again is excellent for how small and light AirPods Pro is. I wouldn't even bother checking out those big open back or whatever headphones as it's not going to work for me.
Can they be used at the gym while sweating or riding a bike? How about when your want to cancel out the outside world in an airport? Or take calls on my iphone while watching movies on my MacBook or iPad Pro? AirPods Pro is amazing for people in the apple ecosystem and use multiple apple devices like me and I'm still waiting for my Apple Music update to checkout this latest hype.
For the price of Airpods Pro you can get Soundcore Liberty 2 which is also a tws and a used Sundara or a new He400i and still have cash left for a good amp. That should set you up for all your usage.

haha.. not surprised . I was expecting this kind of reply when I posted. Just being able to afford some apple products is no achievement idk why anyone would think so let alone arrogant. I merely was stating the fact about how they work so well within the ecosystem. Let me tell you about apple's perfect target. They are people who appreciate aesthetic design, build quality and ease of use while using any apple product and willing to pay a premium price for this experience. Everything just works all the time like it's supposed to and it keeps working for years.
Exactly the same reason why I got fed up with windows and switched to a Mac. I just didn't want to be bothered with googling and troubleshooting when something stops working on windows.
Ok,
1. would you like to help me out buying a wireless earphones with active noise cancelling and can switch between multiple devices I use that is also sweat resistant , since you seem to be an expert on this subject? I would also like to try it and check it out myself before buying.
2. This is asking for help to a proud windows user : I am not able to connect my bluetooth mouse (tried Logitech mx master and also anker one) no matter what I did. All softwares are updated and windows support blames the hardware manufacturer and asks me to contact them or format and install windows again. My Sony bluetooth headphones connects and work though. What windows magic is this? Same both mouse works fine with Mac perfectly.
Not going to talk to you about TWS as I'm pretty sure you are yet to take a long flight of 18-20 hours. Once you do that with the earpod pros, will talk again.
You just could not get few BT mouses not to work. I couldn't use a single analog outboard gear on a newer MBP with any dock ( those outboard gears work fine with the iMac and costs 100 times more than the shitty MBP)

Not sure why some people cannot accept that there is an audience out there who buys apple products (audio) for the convenience factor and not the SQ.

Similarly, when people speak of super high end devices don't realize most people don't really care about those and are perfectly happy with their cheaper tws.

And yes I understand that you have used apple products and feel robbed and now have sworn to never buy those again but then there are others who will.

Also before anyone starts labeling me as always defending apple, please understand I am not trying to defend them here and I actually loathe so many things they do and if I was a fanboy I would have all their latest and greatest stuff but I don't.
I still use a 5.5 year old 6S and my wife uses a 3+ year old X. My watch is bought back in 2017 and is series 3 and not latest.

Also it is understandable people are upset that they cannot see this new feature but don't you guys know that India is always bottom of the list when it comes to services for Apple. We are not first world country who spends a lot on services and will first look at free options.
But please understand that you are getting upset for a feature that was not even available when you took the apple music subscription so its not like your primary feature of high quality (not lossless) was taken away from you. It is an added feature that hasn't hit you your device / account yet.

I am not subscribed to apple music but if there is a way I can verify let me know since I do hold a US apple account. May be the feature is only for (for now) for certain countries' apple accounts? No clue, I am just assuming.

Completely agree with you raks.
Lekin kuch cheesey samajh nehi ata hai..
1. Why is Apple creating thing hype around their high res streaming? None of their wireless headphones can go beyond AAC.
2. What the hell music has to do with 360 audio and other similar crazy things? 99 percent of music is recorded in stereo. Even 32bit ,192 kHz during production is a major PITA due to higher noise floor.
Upsampling / stereo seperation into multi channel will introduce even more noise, phase issues and what not.
That thing will be shoved in the ears through incapable drivers of earpods, 1000XM4 and other assortments of rubbish wireless headphones. What's the point?

Back