Apple announces lossless Apple Music is coming in June at no added cost

Ah should've mentioned it's for Android, hope they actually spend some time to develop the app for Android instead of copy paste.

It's actually available in lossless, try playing some other song and playing that song again. Android app is very glitchy right now, it happened to me too in some songs
My bad, my post, my app was misbehaving. Force closed the app and after reopening now it is playing in lossless
^^ Are you paying for both services? I unsubscribed from Apple music, lack of gapless playback is a complete no go for me.
Have already paid enough money to Apple for hardware.
I will unsubscribe from Tidal too. I'm too old for streaming services and Amazon HD is more than enough.
Its very cheap in India so for now yes i am subscribed to both.

apple music is free for 3 months, so testing it till then. I have subscribed tidal through vpn so it's hardly 100 inr

This thread is on the verge of derailment again and has turned into a pro piracy haven. Better make a new thread for it instead of continuing here.
Its not actually that , its just we were on topic of lossless and while english tracks are easy to find in lossless and cds are easy to purchase , its harder to find hindi lossless stuff especially cds to buy so it kinda shifted where we can find it. But yeah i wudnt mind a separate thread for this if a mod is reading.

Anyway was going to subscribe to apple music to check out whats the fuss re spatial and dolby and if I can find some songs not present on other services , turns out my card is rupay so they dont accept that and neither paypal or Upi ugh.

Also Think while qobuz / tidal / deezer ( especially with uapp integration to use external dac on androids or for lg phones ) might be better for people outside who mostly listen to international / english music , but for most here who also listen to Hindi / regional stuff too apple might become go to ( if i can find way to subscribe ugh ) as its only one offering lossless now for that , for now atleast.

Last edited:
Its not actually that , its just we were on topic of lossless and while english tracks are easy to find in lossless and cds are easy to purchase , its harder to find hindi lossless stuff especially cds to buy so it kinda shifted where we can find it. But yeah i wudnt mind a separate thread for this if a mod is reading.

Anyway was going to subscribe to apple music to check out whats the fuss re spatial and dolby and if I can find some songs not present on other services , turns out my card is rupay so they dont accept that and neither paypal or Upi ugh.

Also Think while qobuz / tidal / deezer ( especially with uapp integration to use external dac on androids or for lg phones ) might be better for people outside who mostly listen to international / english music , but for most here who also listen to Hindi / regional stuff too apple might become go to ( if i can find way to subscribe ugh ) as its only one offering lossless now for that , for now atleast.
For anything before 2000s tidal has very very impressive collection of Hindi music. 90% of what I listen to is hindi music. There search especially if you subscribe through any other region is very bad

All you need to do is take your spotify playlists and use a free website like https://www.tunemymusic.com/Spotify-to-TIDAL.php
To migrate your playlists. Hardly takes 30 minutes to transfer all your playlists.

If you want Bollywood playlists let me know i have created quite a few on tidal over time

Also tidal has very good collection of hindustani classical and ragas

Not much into Hindi music and never was apart from A.R. Rahman, I am basically Haryanvi (dad) and Himachali (mom) mix so Punjabi music is what I listen to apart from usual stuff.

44.1/16 lossless stream and Redbook CD are absolutely same thing but not always identical.
Not always but Redbook CD may sound better than 44.1/16 lossless stream as we're not sure of the 44.1 stream origin or source.
When we rip CDs on our own, Technically we're sure alteast on the paper as we've log file and we've used own settings for the rip, can also verify CRC etc. with accurate rip database.
A single album CD releases with many different catalog numbers worldwide, In the audiophiles kingdom generally Japan releases are considered as the best specially those 1st press and SHM remasters/reissues.
Same is with 96/192 at 24 bit or higher samplings, it may've been digitized from audio tapes or HQ Vinyls but we're not sure. When some rare album is missing or tape isn't in a good condition, companies remaster it digitally and sometimes even upscales it from standard CD faking as Hi-res. (part of greedy business).Best option is to trust your ears.

But would it not be fair to assume that giants like spotify / apple will be able to use the best available infrastructure for digitization (if track does not exist in digital realm)
Or (and more importantly) use the original digital master if its a recent track - i.e. the same source that was also used to press the CDs
(in other words, digital master -> uncompressed stream for playback
vs digital master -> CD -> rip that is used as playback stream)

On a related note, I find 44.1/16 as my upper limit of hearing.. Even on a well resolving system.
I tried my hand at high res in earnest (i.e. higher sampling rate) and even got a bunch of DTS Play-fi streamers for that ..
but TBH, couldn't really see what the fuss is about.

However, I do find lossless better than compressed and that that is the reason why I find this development very welcome.
I get to retain the convenience of being able to stream mostly everything I care for - with ease.
With the added (and very big, at least for me) benefit of being able to use all my existing audio infrastructure for the same - to get bit perfect playback with no resampling

For anything before 2000s tidal has very very impressive collection of Hindi music. 90% of what I listen to is hindi music. There search especially if you subscribe through any other region is very bad

All you need to do is take your spotify playlists and use a free website like https://www.tunemymusic.com/Spotify-to-TIDAL.php
To migrate your playlists. Hardly takes 30 minutes to transfer all your playlists.

Yeah i used tunemymusic before its good , but when i used it to transfer from spotify to deezer as deezer has multiple variants of songs too sometimes one in 320kbps other in flacs it wud get 320 one most of the time. Its good though ! I will check tidal catalougue but i listen to some rare indipops , folks or even regional stuff only gana has all of it i think.

Not much into Hindi music and never was apart from A.R. Rahman, I am basically Haryanvi (dad) and Himachali (mom) mix so Punjabi music is what I listen to apart from usual stuff.

Yeah i meant didnt actually mean only hindi but indian and other indian languages like punjabi especially from 90s .

I did talk to a guy who used to have a music store , one of those mtv ones and he might let me rip whatever cds at lumpsum if i works out. Also since quite a few people have indian music here maybe we can setup a soulseek / filezilla kinda setup. Honestly though wudnt mind paying for old cds but cant find em anywhwere.
On a related note, I find 44.1/16 as my upper limit of hearing.. Even on a well resolving system.
I tried my hand at high res in earnest (i.e. higher sampling rate) and even got a bunch of DTS Play-fi streamers for that ..

However, I do find lossless better than compressed and that that is the reason why I find this development very welcome
Nothing wrong with that , in fact many swear that most cannt differentiate between well encoded mp3 256kbps or higher and flac . its always been a debate , I did abx test using foobar i could differentaite lossy from lossless for most part. I havent tried anything over 44.1 / 16 myself too so curious what people think.

Having said that either way more importantly I try to get best possible quality for archieval purposes tbh mostly especially losseless as otherwise you lose too much data going from a lossy to other lossy format. But yeah most of my stuff is 44.1 / 16 now and for now i think I feel its more than good enough.

Last edited:
I am of Haryanvi/Himachali descent as well, just other way around in my case. I rarely listen to any of the new age Hindi music, but I grew up on Kishore Kumar, Mohd Rafi, Jagjit Singh, Hemant Kumar, Mukesh etc and still have 300+ cassettes and 25/30 CDs of that era music and so it is a staple in my music diet.
Frankly speaking, I am not that fussy about lossless music when it comes to Hindi stuff. Even 320kbps feels good enough. I guess it is due to the fact that I've heard a lot worse or maybe in case of Hindi music, my main focus is on the lyrics. Whereas in case of English songs, I am always more interested in the guitar and drum play. In fact I listen to purely Instrumental Rock a lot more these days. It's not that I can't make out the difference between lossless and 320 for Hindi stuff. I can, but I am somehow not fussy about that.

But would it not be fair to assume that giants like spotify / apple will be able to use the best available infrastructure for digitization (if track does not exist in digital realm)
Or (and more importantly) use the original digital master if its a recent track - i.e. the same source that was also used to press the CDs
(in other words, digital master -> uncompressed stream for playback
vs digital master -> CD -> rip that is used as playback stream)

However, I do find lossless better than compressed and that that is the reason why I find this development very welcome.
I get to retain the convenience of being able to stream mostly everything I care for - with ease.
With the added (and very big, at least for me) benefit of being able to use all my existing audio infrastructure for the same - to get bit perfect playback with no resampling
When it's about the latest releases there's absolutely no reason to argue or doubt about the quality offered by reputed brands. They'll surely use the best available master for digitization.
They try to procure best available source for old or missing albums but it isn't always the best audio they offer. Sometimes they don't 've a specific album we're looking for.

This Hi-res audio is mostly marketing gimmick, more than listening It gives psychological pleasure and satisfaction to audiophiles. :p
Just like many others, I too can't differentiate between different bitrates but it depends on album too. 24 bit , 96Khz is just fine for me.
If I play 24 -bit 192Khz file and same file transcoded on the fly at 24-bit 96Khz I can't distinguish but If hardware(DAC or AMP) is changed for same sample I can differentiate.

Spotify's algorithm works best for me for discovering ( and often stealing ideas/ chords from obscure musicians) music.
My listening time is basically (80:20..old music listening for decades:new music) If something very interesting comes up, just buy the CD (came across Horikawa's Spaces album through Spotify, eventually collected everything, getting the EPs were difficult, only have the Wandering, still searching for Eklektik and Touch)
And given up on the quality aspect from streaming services.
The house is littered with Amazon speakers (everyone gifts us those various Echos including medicine companies) they are not of good quality, but works for podcasts, occassional music while doing dishes and other endless household chores.

If you want Bollywood playlists let me know i have created quite a few on tidal over time

Also tidal has very good collection of hindustani classical and ragas

Please share your Tidal Only playlist,

Yup they have impressive collection which quite surprising to me.

I am of Haryanvi/Himachali descent as well, just other way around in my case. I rarely listen to any of the new age Hindi music, but I grew up on Kishore Kumar, Mohd Rafi, Jagjit Singh, Hemant Kumar, Mukesh etc and still have 300+ cassettes and 25/30 CDs of that era music and so it is a staple in my music diet.
Frankly speaking, I am not that fussy about lossless music when it comes to Hindi stuff. Even 320kbps feels good enough. I guess it is due to the fact that I've heard a lot worse or maybe in case of Hindi music, my main focus is on the lyrics. Whereas in case of English songs, I am always more interested in the guitar and drum play. In fact I listen to purely Instrumental Rock a lot more these days. It's not that I can't make out the difference between lossless and 320 for Hindi stuff. I can, but I am somehow not fussy about that.
From my experience with Hindi music, it isn't very well recorded and mastered no matter the quality you choose. Lossless or Hi-Res matters when you have the original song recorded with utmost care which isn't usually the case. I tried Malayalam playlist on Spotify few years back and was shocked to see level of mastering in their stuff. Top notch.

Ohh tidal catalougue isnt bad for 90s then , just saw the playlists some of my favs are there . But yeah it was songs like nazia hasa boom boom and that i cudnt find in lossless most places . I have most of these in 256 m4a whatever or 320 kbps mp3. I actually kind of agree with @rdst_1 that with hindi it seems to matter less as you are generally more focussed on lyrics or singing along but will maybe sometime upgrade hindi library to flac but not super fussed.

Also @quaratineinthesejeans is right that spotify has best recommendations ( along with yt music probably because thye have much more users data comparatively who plays what after x song ) so are better for discovery , also lot of random youtube covers I like sometimes only put their music on spotify and whenever I ask someone for their playlist its always shared in spotify mostly.

Kinda hard to decide which service to subscribe lol

Can anyone using Apple music explain the difference in these two tracks. Both are same tracks and Hires Lossless. Is the difference because of spatial audio? Because in one track the music on left and right feels way wider/to the edge while in the other it's playing close to the center.
Edit: it's noticeable in in the preview too

Can anyone using Apple music explain the difference in these two tracks. Both are same tracks and Hires Lossless. Is the difference because of spatial audio? Because in one track the music on left and right feels way wider/to the edge while in the other it's playing close to the center.
Edit: it's noticeable in in the preview too

Neither of the tracks are spatial enabled.
Yes - there is a distinct difference in the imaging but that's likely on account of differences on the album analog to digital transfer used during digitization by possibly different studios :)

1627512118713.png
1627512142462.png

For additional context, this is what a spatial enabled track shows up as

1627512378032.png

Neither of the tracks are spatial enabled.
Yes - there is a distinct difference in the imaging but that's likely on account of differences on the album analog to digital transfer used during digitization by possibly different studios :)

For additional context, this is what a spatial enabled track shows u
Oh it's not showing like that in android, it only shows loseless/hires loseless. Thanks for clearing it up.

Oh it's not showing like that in android, it only shows loseless/hires loseless. Thanks for clearing it up.
On my Android device it shows dolby for eligible tracks, what apple has tried to rename to another marketing crap "spatial audio"

Maybe your device doesn't support dolby that is why apple app isn't allowing it to passthrough to avr if you are doing that

On my Android device it shows dolby for eligible tracks, what apple has tried to rename to another marketing crap "spatial audio"

Maybe your device doesn't support dolby that is why apple app isn't allowing it to passthrough to avr if you are doing that
It shows Dolby Atmos where it's showing loseless in android?

Back