Apple iPhone is now available Factory Unlocked in the UK!

Styx

Skilled
So Apple just started taking pre-orders for the new iPhone 4 and its available SIM-free and unlocked

starting £499 for 16GB model.

Just wanted to pass this info along..:)

4Wyc

4Wyb

afaik i friend of mine got VAT refund from Bangkok airport and then when he reached Mumbai he was again charged VAT

so that again adds the VAT charges

can anyone comment on this reply that will they again charge the vat ?

swastikrj said:
afaik i friend of mine got VAT refund from Bangkok airport and then when he reached Mumbai he was again charged VAT

so that again adds the VAT charges

can anyone comment on this reply that will they again charge the vat ?

ehh how ? Unless he did Gandhigiri and told customs , Behold i have a new product and here is the bill , i don't see how this would happen

The iPhone 4G uses something called a Micro SIM which i don't think is available in India yet. Even in the UK, it is going to come from the operators in a few days. Indian companies will not take out the Micro SIM unless iPhone officially arrives. So, no use getting the phone now i believe.

Though i couldn't understand the concept of using such a SIM.

clown_abhi said:
The iPhone 4G uses something called a Micro SIM which i don't think is available in India yet. Even in the UK, it is going to come from the operators in a few days. Indian companies will not take out the Micro SIM unless iPhone officially arrives. So, no use getting the phone now i believe.

Though i couldn't understand the concept of using such a SIM.

there's a trick to how to change your sim card to micro sim card

saw a lot of video links for that dont know if its true or not

can VAT refund be obtained for the iphone ordered online??

found this on apple site:

VAT refunds on exports

Apple are not permitted to refund any VAT charged on UK purchases due to local legislation restrictions. The Apple Store (UK) is not a part of the Retail Export Scheme, as this scheme does not apply to Internet Sales.

Source: Payment & VAT - Apple Store (UK)

Its easier for tourists to get VAT refund. Not so much for UK residents who are returning to India.

For tourists all you need is VAT paid receipt of your retail purchase at airport and you get instant refund.

Its same in most countries actually. We got full refund at Bangkok and Johannesburg when we produced receipts of our purchases.

if your friend is coming back after long stay I dont think he will be eligible for refund.

-D.Payne- said:
The Apple graphic in the first page says "You may use SIM or micro-SIM cards from all carriers".

Huh?
Yeah. Why? They meant the iPhone 4 supports SIM cards or micro-SIM cards from all carriers.

Of course you can't plonk in a normal SIM into the iPhone 4 though. :p

You have to trim it to the shape of a micro SIM - pretty much doable. There are many tutorials around.

Shripad said:
Its easier for tourists to get VAT refund. Not so much for UK residents who are returning to India.

For tourists all you need is VAT paid receipt of your retail purchase at airport and you get instant refund.

Its same in most countries actually. We got full refund at Bangkok and Johannesburg when we produced receipts of our purchases.

if your friend is coming back after long stay I dont think he will be eligible for refund.

Do u mean i am not applicable for VAT non-refund?? :O

this is cheating :mad:

Back