Apple iPhone is now available Factory Unlocked in the UK!

Styx

Skilled
So Apple just started taking pre-orders for the new iPhone 4 and its available SIM-free and unlocked

starting £499 for 16GB model.

Just wanted to pass this info along..:)

4Wyc

4Wyb

vinodh89 said:
Could be a perfect imitation phone of iPhone4 :D
Highly unlikely. It is the real Iphone 4 that they are selling. The above mention website taobao is like ebay of China. Iphone clones you will get it in max 5-6k INR. Even Iphone 3G and 3GS was unofficially available in China when it wasn't even launched there. It was during september-october (IIRC) time when China Unicom officially launched the Iphone 3GS and that too at exorbitant price and locked to operator. I remember all the hoopla in Shanghai over the launch of Iphone :)

Also in the website there are many good sellers (like power sellers in ebay, they have crowns etc denoting the reputation of seller) so it wont be fake.

One of the most famous Iphone clones of good quality and expensive i have seen is the Meizu M8 which looks like iphone and is very functional with many features. Only down is that is costs like 12-15k INR and also it has a proprietary OS and no one makes apps for them.

The UK VAT refund is far from simple and requires a lot of time and energy and may not always be worth it. The key thing is to get to the airport on time because just getting the vat refund can take an hour as there is usually a queue of folks for vat refund. Last time I was too late so couldn't get it done but I got an HP laptop for my sister just last week and managed to reach Heathrow with 30 min to spare and do the refund.

You have to queue up in 2 different places, first before you check in and then after you check in. Every terminal in Heathrow has a VAT refund area.

Here is how it works, first you have to buy the product in a store that operates the UK vat refund scheme, not all stores operate this, though most stores on Oxford street, Regent street do. Online stores don't. Next when purchasing the item in the store you have to inform them you want to claim a VAT refund before purchase, and ensure they fill in the VAT refund form and give it to you.

Note you will not get the full 17.5% refund, usually there is processing charge and it will be around 10-13%, there are set slabs according to the final price of the product for instance between 440-500 pounds will get you a $40 refund etc, between 500-560 pounds maybe 50 pounds etc

Reach Heathrow with an extra hour and line up at the VAT refund area before you check in to get a refund slip, here you will have to show the product, the bill, and the vat refund form. Usually there is a queue unless you get lucky and the customs folks will stamp the vat refund form and give you a form to fill on refund method. You can choose to receive a cheque in your bank account in India, get a refund on your credit card with which you used to make the purchase, or choose cash. If you choose cash there will be a further 2-3% charge and you will have to get this from an assigned foreign currency desk in Heathrow, its usually near the second vat refund area after check in.

Next make sure you have whatever you are claiming VAT for with you, if you check it in its likely you won't get a refund because the customs officer after checkin may want to look at the product.

Once checked in head for the second VAT refund counter beyond check-in and prepare to queue up. Here the customs officer will stamp the vat refund form and the payment method form and may ask to see the product and the bills so have it ready. If you choose cheque, they will mail the cheque to you, or refund on your credit card. If you choose cash take the stamped form to a assigned foreign currency cum vat cash refund counter. They will be small processing charge, around 2-3% and they will take the form and give you the cash in a currency of your choosing.

Tip - Since the foreign currency counters poor exchange rates I would advise you to take the refund in pounds only. If you choose US dollar you will get a really poor UK pound to US dollar conversion rate. Hope this is helpful for all the folks wondering about the VAT refund.

Back