Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

No it can’t be done on any computer especially the garbage called Windows. We need Unix environment so only Linux/Mac can cut it for the work we do. Then if you also develop apps for iOS then you bound to have a Mac environment and using Linux will not cut it.

Most issues with peripherals are not an issue with Mac OS but with Thunderbolt which many so called techies using windows don’t understand is different from a regular USB C port. Use a regular USB A and HDMI instead. Thunderbolt port is finicky and should only be used with official supported accessories be it a monitor or a mouse.

I also do have a LG Gram and M1 MacBook Air and 2 4k monitors at the humble home studio.
And no sir, my old Gram never glitches.
Can't say the same about that particular MBA. I'm not a person who worships any brand ( no Apple doesn't intimidate me at all, my main computer is still a superb iMac) and denies personal experience.
The M1 machines are great for light users whose use is restricted to usual email, browsing, youtube and who can do most of the things in a browser ( I know nothing about coding etc. but all such hardcore people I know of use Windows and Linux, I do know 2 of iOS app developer who use Macs exclusively, one is behind some food ordering app in India for iphones, but both of them are on intel 16 inch MBPs)
I will give an example, attach any audio interface with official Apple ( or whatever they sell in their stores) dongle, connect it both to your studio monitors. Now with LPX open, connect your headphones to the interface...you will instantly see how immature the system till is!!
Try the same with Gram or an XPS, the transition will take few seconds depending upon the DAW ( in good professional softwares like Samplitude/ Sequoia it only takes seconds to change it in ASIO4ALL without any crash)
The exact same thing happens with FCPX!!
If LPX/ FCPX users are not professionals for Apple, who are?
M1 is great for casual/ normal computer users, who don't need to a specific software and have thousands of alternatives like an amateur photographer, hobbiest programmer.
But when your time is money, it has a LONG WAY to go.

Because your friend's work can be done with any computer PC/ Mac doesn't matter.
Enlarge your social circle/ visit your local Apple store and try to find out how many "pros" have returned the M1 Macs.
It's perfectly fine for most average users, but not ready for users who really need a powerful computer to earn money ( Mac user since 2009, still use an iMac as main computer and have at least 4/5 MacBook Pro/ Air in the house along with at least 4 ipads of various sizes and writing this from an iPhone)
I don’t do audio editing - so have no experience whatsoever with audio editing software..
I am a vanilla productivity suite user - although a bit finicky about UX..

There is absolutely no comparison between the Gram and MBA on that front- just being on a Teams VC on 4K gets the GPU to near 100% utilization on the 10th gen chip machine - which in effect means that anything else I want to do on the side suffers from UI latency.. and so I will just leave it at that

PS: As for audio switching as an end user, flipping from headset to earphones to speakers works fine on both machines
But the win machine tends to forget what I had left it at - especially after a sleep/ wake cycle
Quite annoying esp if you are getting on a call, the other party can’t hear you - and you fiddle around with settings to realize that the input device shifted from external mic to internal
@superczar try win11 if you can, it supposedly has better window placement/restore behaviour with docking/undocking.
Waiting on that.. I am playing around with it on a VM on proxmox..will install it on laptop when its close to release
why do you say its usb c? have you ever used it? the product title clearly says tb3 dock and I'm using it for the past three years.

Ok, based on your knowledge let me know what's the tb3 dock will do?
Bro, if that's a thunderbolt dock..Then I'm the queen of England :)

Be it Mac or Windows or any other hardware will have its own limitations or issues
as long as there are workaround to fix those shortcomings then its fine, but in Macbook case there is nothing much u can do when it comes to external monitors and you may need to buy specific models for best experience and everyone will be in a position to shell out that extra money...

which many so called techies using windows don’t understand is different from a regular USB C port.
so apple pro, explain the difference then...
dock..Then I'm the queen of England :)
that is fine, the usual apple way of deviation... like Steve said, you hold it wrong.

Anyways enlighten me why it's just usb c and it cannot be tb3 dock. Seriously I'm asking because i bought it because my xps only supports tb3 port and through that only i can connect a external monitor, ethernet, usb A devices and charge my laptop as well. I'm not sure which USB c adapter supports all together?

Last edited:
Be it Mac or Windows or any other hardware will have its own limitations or issues
as long as there are workaround to fix those shortcomings then its fine, but in Macbook case there is nothing much u can do when it comes to external monitors and you may need to buy specific models for best experience and everyone will be in a position to shell out that extra money...
So I asked two guys on olx who were selling their M1 MAC minI about which monitor they use, and both said 1080p. One of them bought MAC for coding. This is very confusing, so 1080p external monitor works fine with Mac mini but not with Mac air?

Last edited:
Mac Mini is ignored by most people but it still has USB A and HDMI so one can use all unofficial accessories without any issues. Use HDMI to connect 1080p monitor and USB A to connect keyboard/mouse receiver.

so apple pro, explain the difference then...

that is fine, the usual apple way of deviation... like Steve said, you hold it wrong.

Anyways enlighten me why it's just usb c and it cannot be tb3 dock. Seriously I'm asking because i bought it because my xps only supports tb3 port and through that only i can connect a external monitor, ethernet, usb A devices and charge my laptop as well. I'm not sure which USB c adapter supports all together?
Go to your device manager and see what Thunderbolt device is connected - The answer will be none

Alternatively, open the thunderbolt control center on the PC and see what TB device is connected - the answer again will be none

Go to your device manager and see what Thunderbolt device is connected - The answer will be none

Alternatively, open the thunderbolt control center on the PC and see what TB device is connected - the answer again will be none
ok still you have not answered my question and I presume that you are not aware what is tb3 port will do and you are just regular apple blabla guy. let's leave it then.

Why non Apple and mainly non Mac users start camping on MacBook threads. I am not bound to answer every noob out there who use Windows and simply don’t want to understand things.

Why non Apple and mainly non Mac users start camping on MacBook threads. I am not bound to answer every noob out there who use Windows and simply don’t want to understand things.
ha ha.. what exactly you try to explain so far, so that others try to understand?

FYI, I must be having at least one product from each of apple family of products.. but I'm not apple junkie.

ok still you have not answered my question and I presume that you are not aware what is tb3 port will do and you are just regular apple blabla guy. let's leave it then.
What question?
YOu are saying that the device you are connecting is thunderbolt - and I am saying it isn't - and it obviously isn't.

I am not even sure why you are stuck on this claim - when everybody else is letting you move on to try avoid a direct embarrasment

Whatever it is you are claiming as a TB device is a vanilla USB 3 hub - which will max out at 4-4.5 gbps
That may be adequate for a basic 1080p display and some basic USB 2 peripherals but that is about it

TB3 OTOH is in an entirely different class- and does 40gbps - Driving 2X 4k60 displays simultaneously yet have enough bandwidth left for multiple USB 3 peripherals (including one or more of those USB 3 docks that you claim as TB)

What you are doing is like labeling a 1050 card as a RTX3090 - and arguing that both are the same

Last edited:
What question?
YOu are saying that the device you are connecting is thunderbolt - and I am saying it isn't - and it obviously isn't.
this explanation only I'm asking... so the difference is 20 vs 40gbps right. will any laptops having simple USB c type will support PD and driving external monitor, ethernet all together? or it must need tb3 port?

this explanation only I'm asking... so the difference is 20 vs 40gbps right. will any laptops having simple USB c type will support PD and driving external monitor, ethernet all together? or it must need tb3 port?
5 vs 40 (some of the newer ones will do 10 if they have USB 3.2)
USB 3 implementation of extras like PD unfortunately does not have a tightly defined standard - which means that some laptops will have PD over USB C, some won't
Some will have alt DP over USB C, some wont (for display) - and even if they have , the bandwidth will be enough for 1080p but not for 4k60
And if you put a high bandwidth monitor, you won't have enough left for gigabit ethernet or USB 3 devices like external SSDs

I don’t do audio editing - so have no experience whatsoever with audio editing software..
I am a vanilla productivity suite user - although a bit finicky about UX..

There is absolutely no comparison between the Gram and MBA on that front- just being on a Teams VC on 4K gets the GPU to near 100% utilization on the 10th gen chip machine - which in effect means that anything else I want to do on the side suffers from UI latency.. and so I will just leave it at that

PS: As for audio switching as an end user, flipping from headset to earphones to speakers works fine on both machines
But the win machine tends to forget what I had left it at - especially after a sleep/ wake cycle
Quite annoying esp if you are getting on a call, the other party can’t hear you - and you fiddle around with settings to realize that the input device shifted from external mic to internal

Waiting on that.. I am playing around with it on a VM on proxmox..will install it on laptop when its close to release

Bro, if that's a thunderbolt dock..Then I'm the queen of England :)
By audio switching I meant switching from the interface, not the laptop.
Now my words may sound little harsh...I am using external monitors since eternity with laptops, Apple ALWAYS screws up when their list of requirements are not meant ( and the list is getting bigger and bigger)
Post 2010, they used to provide decent onboard sound, now in M1 Macs they kept the 3.5mm but forgot to power it decently. I don't know who was the genius who thought laptop speakers will be good enough.
Try a good headphone directly with the 3.5...its noisier than 2010 MBP!! Definitely progress huh!!
I am fortunate enough to able to buy 5/6 MBPs without much thought, but the 16 inch MBP is the only proper laptop.
Somebody compared OS X(? XI now) with Windows 10. Sure Windows suck at times but works perfectly fine most of the times ( huge improvement over last decade)
Can't say the same about Mac OS, after decade of using the same, it's like a mish mash of iOS and the beloved SL.
Regarding screw up of Macs, as mote people are using it...some of you may face the ever lasting sleep image corruption issues. Once it strikes, you will realise how different it truly is from Linux ( hate Linux only for absence of good productivity softwares which save your time)
I'm possibly one of the oldest Mac OS user here. Yes, like every Mac OS user I'm a noob. And no, the M1 Mac is not for professionals ( not talking about IT people here)

First you need to figure out if it’s the hardware or the software that is giving you problems because the other day you said that it’s the software ie. Mac OS as all your legacy software stopped working during the latest iterations of OS.

Now you are saying it’s hardware ie. M1 Air that is giving problems and MBP 16 is just fine. It’s getting confusing, maybe makeup your mind first.

I don’t know abc of Audio production and neither I am interested to know how it works, like music and can appreciate good gear. That’s it.

I was using someone's laptop earlier and didn't / couldn't install everything. Now using an Apollo Twin interface. Basically most of the issues with LPX has been fixed, some 3rd party plug ins now work.
Of course most of the old outboard gears I have still don't work.
No, never said 16 inch MBP is perfectly fine. But at least it can handle a smooth switch between monitors and headphones from interface without freezing for 15 minutes EVERYTIME.
Even just to listen to music I need a dongle with the M1 Air, as the onboard card is rubbish ( certainly not an issue with 16 inch MBP) I don't mind using the Apple dongle ( which sounds great) but that can't be used for work as Logic refuses to see it as the output device ( even if it does after 3-4 restarts, it just won't send sound through it!!)
I bought this thinking it can make the workflow more efficient ( in some cases it does, like exporting stems are lightning fast) and more importantly I can't ditch Mac completely due to some older projects ( from the time when I didn't export unmixed stems religiously and save everything as Logic Projects, which do have the stems, but the names are all weird )
Even the Apple Store people were suggesting the 16 inch MBP for my workflow ( they had to replace M1 machines with number of photo/ videographers, audio producers)
It's perfectly fine if you are happy with M1 machines, they are incredibly fast with certain things ( even some really CPU intensive tasks like exporting stems/ complete mixdowns with 5- 6 send effects, 4 on track effects) but the technology is not yet there to be used as a workstation. images (7).jpeg
This is possibly the most disorganised home studio, can't even fit a basic drum kit inside this mess. So very often we have to carry everything down to the basement to record bands.
However it may sound unreal, this space is acoustically treated and really does work decently for mixing. And I can't let go all the outboard vintage gears, though very old ( and almost everything bought used) they genuinely sound fantastic. Computer is my least favorite tool in music (we old people always prefer analog consoles, but the cost is way beyond my reach and most band nowadays do everything themselves...the results usually suck, but the wireless generation doesn't really care...they are used to the extremely compressed zero dynamics music)

Last edited:
People who own and are using a Mac in their real life on daily basis are not complaining but those who never touched it are complaining.
Listen mortals, looks like Mac is some space station which only Astronauts can touch. Soon people will start worshipping these computers and operating systems and all those who question their might will be decimated.
Who asked you to answer? Looks like you have a problem with people expressing their opinions. If I spend 60k on a device which needs another 30-40k to work properly then I will surely be frustrated.
To others, only possible explanation regarding external monitor is, HDMI port of M1 Mac mini works fine with external monitors but thunderbolt port of a Mac mini or Macbook creates problem. So if someone wants to use an external monitor with a Macbook then it has to be 27 inch 4k and in case of Mac mini it could be a 1080p with a HDMI port. I have no idea the reason behind it but looks like it is the case here.

Are you the same guy who was arguing with me on an iPad thread?

So finally you are now looking for some real computer after all that ‘iPad will replace everything’ drama or Hollywood directors already using iPad for their real work is not enough to convince you yet.

Back