Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Yes......Also, like to know the version 16/256 or 16/512?
It is the 16/256 variant.
IMO, It's not worth going for the higher storage variants ( 18k extra for additinal 256 gb o_O )

I actually did a lot of reading and contemplating before spending the additional 18k on the extra 8 gigs of RAM as well (base variant has only 8gb RAM). But due to the unified memory and no future upgrade option, I had to take the plunge.

It is the 16/256 variant.
IMO, It's not worth going for the higher storage variants ( 18k extra for additinal 256 gb o_O )

I actually did a lot of reading and contemplating before spending the additional 18k on the extra 8 gigs of RAM as well (base variant has only 8gb RAM). But due to the unified memory and no future upgrade option, I had to take the plunge.
You made a good decision. That extra 8gb of ram will remove almost all bottlenecks for M1. No point of extra storage, You can get external drives.

Good deal i must say for a 16GB variant, what monitor are u using with the Mac mini ?
I already have a LG 22inch 22MP68VQ IPS 1080p monitor, for time being I'll stick to this. Later as budget permits, shift to a good 4k monitor. :)

You made a good decision. That extra 8gb of ram will remove almost all bottlenecks for M1. No point of extra storage, You can get external drives.
Yes. The pricing for apple storage options is really insane!

here are some of the best must have free apps for ur mac, do give it a try

Alt-Tab - brings the power of Windows OS “alt-tab” window switcher to MacOS. (Works flawlessly)

Trex - TRex makes OCR easy and accessible on a Mac, extract text from any image to editable text. (Text Sniper alternate)

Mos - enable Smooth scrolling for external mouse.

Lunar - Control Brightness on external monitor (just click of a mouse)

TinkerTool - is an application that gives you access to additional preference settings Apple has built into macOS.

IINA - Best modern media player for Mac (better than VLC)

Silicon - simple app lets you quickly detect Apple Silicon and Intel apps on your Mac

KeyboardCleanTool - is a super simple little tool which blocks all Keyboard and TouchBar input when u need to clean the keyboard.

Amphetamine - Keeps your Mac awake for a specified time (most popular must have app)

AppCleaner - app which allows you to thoroughly uninstall unwanted apps.

Dato - is a replacement for the system menu bar clock with many customization like calendar & world clock

OpenEmu - is an open-source multi-system game emulator designed for macOS. (Great UI)

Unarchiver is the only app you need to open RAR on Mac.

Rectangle - Resize and snap windows. Yup, open-source!

Last edited:
here are some of the best must have free apps for ur mac, do give it a try

Alt-Tab - brings the power of Windows OS “alt-tab” window switcher to MacOS. (Works flawlessly)

Trex - TRex makes OCR easy and accessible on a Mac, extract text from any image to editable text. (Text Sniper alternate)

Mos - enable Smooth scrolling for external mouse.

Lunar - Control Brightness on external monitor (just click of a mouse)

TinkerTool - is an application that gives you access to additional preference settings Apple has built into macOS.

IINA - Best modern media player for Mac (better than VLC)

Silicon - simple app lets you quickly detect Apple Silicon and Intel apps on your Mac

KeyboardCleanTool - is a super simple little tool which blocks all Keyboard and TouchBar input when u need to clean the keyboard.

Amphetamine - Keeps your Mac awake for a specified time (most popular must have app)

AppCleaner - app which allows you to thoroughly uninstall unwanted apps.

Dato - is a replacement for the system menu bar clock with many customization like calendar & world clock

OpenEmu - is an open-source multi-system game emulator designed for macOS. (Great UI)

Unarchiver is the only app you need to open RAR on Mac.

Rectangle - Resize and snap windows. Yup, open-source!
Just curious, why alt tab instead of ctrl up / ctrl down?
The switcher on Mac OS is one of the things I miss the most when working in Windows

Sharing all the apps that I found useful on my MB so far, searching an alternate of AppCleaner if available. Ignore Magnet, got redundant after Catalina.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 11.03.43 PM.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 11.03.43 PM.png
    845.8 KB · Views: 140
Just curious, why alt tab instead of ctrl up / ctrl down?
The switcher on Mac OS is one of the things I miss the most when working in Windows
I am so used to Windows preview switcher that found mac os switcher very uneasy to use.
also the mac switcher shows minimsed or hidden app in switcher and does not open when selected which is annoying

I am so used to Windows preview switcher that found mac os switcher very uneasy to use.
also the mac switcher shows minimsed or hidden app in switcher and does not open when selected which is annoying
You should Stick to the workflow you prefer - but worth mentioning that minimize is fundamentally a windows concept you are carrying over.
Using the yellow (-) button on a Mac window (or cmd+H) is done to hide a window - and that will make it go sit in the bottom portion of the dock as a separate entity from active windows.

It may be worth at least trying the worrkspace model that Mac OS uses to see if it works for you - as it offers considerably more flexible ways to optimise and use your workflow... In effect:

a) Cmd tab when you don't need to do much other than a quick flip (like alt tab)
b) ctrl Up when you want to view/switch all active windows in a single view
c) Ctrl Down when you want to view / switch only active windows of the current app (e.g. 3 separate windows of Safari alone)
d) ctrl right/left to switch between spaces

b) and c) also let you switch between spaces or move existing windows between different spaces

I know that windows too has introduced something similar in recent years - but conceptually this workspace model has been in Mac and Linux for a lot longer and seems a lot more mature in comparison

Hi members :)

Considering that the display, battery and keyboard are the components that are more prone to have issues, Is the Apple Care Plus necessary for even the Mac mini which does not include the above mentioned components?
Need your valuable inputs to decide on purchasing the ACP for my Mac mini, I'm unable to decide here.

Hi members :)

Considering that the display, battery and keyboard are the components that are more prone to have issues, Is the Apple Care Plus necessary for even the Mac mini which does not include the above mentioned components?
Need your valuable inputs to decide on purchasing the ACP for my Mac mini, I'm unable to decide here.
No need of ACP for Mac Mini.

Back