Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

M1 macbooks are getting super reviews everywhere. Even the apps not optimized for M1 and run under their Rosetta something are working great and don't make the user feel it is not optimized. Saw a video yesterday of some guy using the 8GB RAM model and had like 40+ tabs of chrome open and couple of huge excels (millions of records) and PDFs and ppts and such. He was keeping some sort of activity monitor on display to show how much RAM was being consumed.

I am convinced that if I were to buy the M1 Macbook Air, 8GB should be good for me as I am not a power user (on personal laptop) but yes 256GB is a little bothering but also M1 being first generation, I want to wait.
You guys should wait for some more user reviews to pop up.

Apps optimized for new Macbooks will be a bottle neck for now but this is Apple we are talking about, those software manufacturers will be working day and night to make their apps compatible ASAP.

Last edited:

Was going through the site he quoted - https://isapplesiliconready.com/ - and many apps mentioned incompatible as of writing that review are already working fine under Rosetta 2 or natively.

Also, WHO USES EDGE ? I know it's based on Chromium, works better than old "Edge" browsers, but still, I don't know a single person who uses it regularly. Posting a remark saying Edge runs slowly is definitively an abnormal usage scenario. Tons of redditors and users on Twitters have no complains on using PS/LR etc, and even the site he links do not show incompatibility (some other Adobe apps do have issues).
The way its going though - I won't be surprised if all popular apps get optimized within a couple of months or so.
--------------------

Last edited:

Cons listed being not able to run "edge" and having no 5G/LTE, i have no reason to take this dude seriously. looks like an attempt to 'differentiate' from other reviews.
"fans do come on" haha.

All reviews seem too good to be true that now i won't believe totally until i get my hands on one lol.

Don't worry, the likes of you couldn't even hire me if you wanted. I wish I would have long retired if a day comes when people with close minds like you are out to hire consultants,.

How many others are you referring to? Is it the room full of 10 people who have bought the mac mini along with you? I can bet it is going to be a minuscule number. It is going to be a subset of people who are not able or willing to do research to find a product, especially if it goes against their confirmation bias. After all, how difficult can it be for someone to operate an Intel NUC for media playback!

Also for your knowledge, if you ever come out of your bias there are many ITX form factors, from full to smallest. So don't discard any ITX just because it is ITX. If you see the light, you can then go and research how to build those.

And you ended up buying an NUC. Maybe next time, think before you type -

And you ended up buying an NUC. Maybe next time, think before you type -
Yes i agree i was thinking about the fight and yes i did type some things which I should have thought about

However I haven't faced any issues at all with my lower end nuc and I have bought 1 which is 3 of apple mini cost

Guys lets stop this.
At the end of day, if one has the money and wants to buy Macbook or Dell XPS or whatever other high end machines available there.
Let's use this thread to help potential buyers (like me) who are planning to get the latest macbook air or pro.
Like why is it ok to go for it or may be not go for it (first gen device so better wait for next iteration).

On a personal front, I am invested in Apple Ecosystem (not a sheep) and use iphone and apple watch but only because both these devices serve my purpose and I don't intend to change them at this point. I always wanted to get a macbook (not for bragging) and I am actually in a situation at home where we don't have any personal laptop. We either use my office laptop (windows) or I use my lenovo laptop which doesn't have screen at all and I have to connect to TV to view it contents.
I am sort of fixed on buying Macbook Air but am planning to wait until next year for the same. Hopefully all issues are ironed out by then and compatibility issues fixed.

The video below gives a good context to apple's approach. now what I am excited about is ARM's foray into datacenter now that Nvidia owns ARM. Mac mini is already getting into data centers but...

Just wanted to say that I share the opinion in this article.
There is no denying that the new chip is/maybe groundbreaking for Apple's industry and market in particular and the PC in general (Apple's 5nm against AMD's 7nm and Intel's 14nm hello?) in its respective fields but some of the claims appear to be vague using some terms which doesn't directly go against the law. The usual * applies. Apple fans especially need to understand this. I'm not an Apple hater, I just think Apple and the fanboys over-exaggerate their claims or the superior functionality over Windows/Android.
Also I personally don't trust The Verge and MKBHD at all. Damn sellouts. In fact the verge people can't even build a PC lol. Meanwhile MKBHD seems to always endorse the latest stuff. I sometimes use them only to know about the latest news when they appear on my feed, nothing more. Its also only natural to believe something which one likes. However fanboyism is going the extreme way to eat whatever the sources (which often are just paid and sponsored to promote) shoot out. I want to mention that the most fair opinions which I've heard recently are only those from the PC gaming market regarding the new GPU/CPU shortage and that Windows 10 OS is crap with utter garbage (support) for many/most users. No one can deny these facts. My point is make your argument legit or factual instead of simply relying on the crap the media spit out. There are many posts which I can quote and counter but we all have access to the internet anyway.

Don't change the subject, how will you connect XPS 13 to a projector?
Also question like this is dumb. How the hell will someone create something without giving any access to the ESSENTIAL feature/component? Apple did the same with the removal of the 3.5mm jack.
What even was the point of this question?

dell hdmi convertor download.png

Just wanted to say that I share the opinion in this article.
My point is make your argument legit or factual instead of simply relying on the crap the media spit out. There are many posts which I can quote and counter but we all have access to the internet anyway.
which is why one should refer to multiple sources of information, from both individual users as well as these reviewers. i don’t give much value to verge or mkbhd specifically. however in case of apple silicon, it is getting praise from literally everyone in every corner of the world, everyone who has had a chance to get hands on with it. it is put to whatever tests one can do on a laptop and there’s not a single person who’s “not” surprised/ shocked to see how well the chip performs (well except a few in the whole world who just wants to hate on apple. if it was done by amd/intel the same sane people would go dancing in the streets). there is nothing, i repeat nothing as of now which even comes close to performance per watt and efficiency of M1.
i’ve never seen a product with such overwhelming positive reviews from 99% of the users.
if one is looking for a thin and light laptop without spending a fortune, there are not much options in the market right now, especially in our country. this apple silicon is indeed a game changer in all aspects and it just made supremely good laptops affordable. there is no left or right to this.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/macbook-pro-16-inch-m1x-chip-just-leaked-and-its-game-over-for-intel
https://mspoweruser.com/apple-is-already-working-on-an-improved-apple-m1x-processor/
The leaker claims their source said: “if you think M1 is fast, you haven’t seen M1X”.

We suspect, like their Macbooks, Intel and Qualcomm are sighing a sigh of relief that Apple does not sell hardware without an OS.

Now I am really exited about the upcoming MacBook Pro 16, even more so then MacBook Pro 14 coming next year.

Last edited:
Back