Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

Picked up my new MBA yesterday. So far really impressed and an amazing upgrade from my previous 2015 mbp. I couldn't ask for a better laptop even if price wasn't an issue. paid 81.4k (student discount + HDFC discount).

tempImage3yxfen.jpg

tempImageYFamQG.jpg

It's there for newer models as well. Amazing VFM I must say. battery life is insane.
Hey, congratulations for picking up the VFM beast! Could u plz tell us all more about it's battery life doing normal tasks like net surfing, office work as well as during heavy usage? Thanks in advance.

It's there for newer models as well. Amazing VFM I must say. battery life is insane.

Dude you in Mumbai? I need someone who can help with student discount and I already have hdfc credit card.
I know that online student discount is 10% and offline it is 6% but combining with hdfc cashback / instant discount (not sure which was it), it turns out cheaper buying offline.

Hey, congratulations for picking up the VFM beast! Could u plz tell us all more about it's battery life doing normal tasks like net surfing, office work as well as during heavy usage? Thanks in advance.
Thank you.

unplugged at 100% at 10:15 in the morning. Did some casual web browsing, a couple YouTube videos, some Spotify streaming and it's still at 87% now. Usage time would be around 2 or 2.5 to 3 hours. This is my first day, will report after a few days of usage.

Thermal performance is outstanding as well. barely gets warm during web browsing. it got quite hot (not to uncomfortable levels though) while it was updating the os.
Dude you in Mumbai? I need someone who can help with student discount and I already have hdfc credit card.
I know that online student discount is 10% and offline it is 6% but combining with hdfc cashback / instant discount (not sure which was it), it turns out cheaper buying offline.
I'm from Kerala. yes, it is around 2k cheaper if you buy from offline stores. however in my case I had to travel 400 km in car xD. this thing is out of stock everywhere. waiting periods are upsetting.

Two days back unicorn store from Mumbai told me they have it in stock. however for HDFC discount it has to swiped from the store itself.

as for student discount you need aadhaar scanned copy of the student and college id card photo.

Last edited:
Thank you.

unplugged at 100% at 10:15 in the morning. Did some casual web browsing, a couple YouTube videos, some Spotify streaming and it's still at 87% now. Usage time would be around 2 or 2.5 to 3 hours. This is my first day, will report after a few days of usage.

Thermal performance is outstanding as well. barely gets warm during web browsing. it got quite hot (not to uncomfortable levels though) while it was updating the os.

I'm from Kerala. yes, it is around 2k cheaper if you buy from offline stores. however in my case I had to travel 400 km in car xD. this thing is out of stock everywhere. waiting periods are upsetting.

Two days back unicorn store from Mumbai told me they have it in stock. however for HDFC discount it has to swiped from the store itself.

as for student discount you need aadhaar scanned copy of the student and college id card photo.

How much is the HDFC card discount? And how exactly do you get it? Do you have to use a code or something on the Apple store?

I think the "No Cost" will still have some sort of processing fees and something else extra per EMI installment?

HDFC has standardised 199+GST for every emi loan processing.
Rest no cost emi discount is upfront but some small amount of GST on interest we will have to bear.
So 199+GST and GST on the interest amount which shouldn’t be much would be some cost which should not be more than 500 I guess in total.

HDFC has standardised 199+GST for every emi loan processing.
Rest no cost emi discount is upfront but some small amount of GST on interest we will have to bear.
So 199+GST and GST on the interest amount which shouldn’t be much would be some cost which should not be more than 500 I guess in total.

I wasn't aware of the GST on the interest amount. Would you mind sharing the source for this please? Usually on Amazon/Flipkart what they do is discount the interest amount upfront and the total cost we end up paying would be total price + 199 processing fee.

I wasn't aware of the GST on the interest amount. Would you mind sharing the source for this please? Usually on Amazon/Flipkart what they do is discount the interest amount upfront and the total cost we end up paying would be total price + 199 processing fee.
You'll end up paying 18% of the upfront discount you got as 'No Cost EMI' benefit apart from the 236bucks that HDFC charge as EMI conversion charges.
Basically, when GST was announced, this govt even brought the EMI interest that CC companies earn, under service charges and applied 18% GST on that. So every time one takes an EMI on a CC, apart from the interest (which is discounted in case of No Cost EMI), one also has to pay 18% GST on that interest amount.

Edit - Maybe you don't check your statements properly, but you pay this GST even on the No-cost EMIs on Amazon/Flipkart. Just recently Amazon has even started sendin a detailed email letting the customers know about the same as people were getting confused after checking their statements.

Edit 2 - This is from an Amazon email from one of my recent orders
1) Within 4-7 business days, your bank will reverse the charge of ₹ 9,384.23 and convert it into EMI. Initially, your card will be blocked for ₹ 9,384.23 and with each installment you pay, your limit will get released.

2) HDFC Bank will charge you a processing fee of ₹ 199.00+GST which will be billed in your first EMI. This will be over and above the charges shown on Amazon.

3) Your bank will charge you total interest of ₹ 779.83. However, some part of this interest has already been offered to you as No Cost EMI discount at the time of purchase.

4) As per government regulations, 18% GST will be charged on interest amount which will be approximately ₹ 140.37 for the total EMI duration.

Last edited:
@Muathaz @TinTinSnowy

I called up Aptronix in Mumbai (Borivali) and they said it is 5% student discount and on top of that HDFC 6K cashback offer. There is no student discount on iPad at their store.
I called up Maple in Khar (have someone we know working there) and he said it is 6% discount and on top of that HDFC 6K cashback offer.

Any idea why the difference? Asking Apple is useless as they told they cannot comment about student discount offered by store.
Also Aptronix tells me that Invoice will be in name of "student" and not in my name. Is that how it is supposed to be?

Also this is prebooking and not direct delivery as M1 Macbooks are not in stock and wait is at least 2-3 weeks.

@TinTinSnowy What store you asked in Mumbai and what information you got?

@raksrules Student discount can vary. Croma Bhayandar where I live is not giving student discount at all. They advised me to go for GST ITC + HDFC Cashback route. I am thinking of going that way but before that reconsidering my choice. I felt 13'' to be a bit low for me even though I am gonna use it with an external monitor. Delivery time is 7-10 days at Croma for the base variant. They are asking 1 month for the 16GB variant. They said to me that they have delivered a few laptops this week.

Invoice will be in the name of the student if you avail it.

@raksrules Student discount can vary. Croma Bhayandar where I live is not giving student discount at all. They advised me to go for GST ITC + HDFC Cashback route. I am thinking of going that way but before that reconsidering my choice. I felt 13'' to be a bit low for me even though I am gonna use it with an external monitor. Delivery time is 7-10 days at Croma for the base variant. They are asking 1 month for the 16GB variant. They said to me that they have delivered a few laptops this week.

Invoice will be in the name of the student if you avail it.

Do all multi brand apple resellers even give any student discount? Because if they do, I can try ask Reliance Digital or someone else. Since my usage isn't so high, i will be going with base model air.
But I will ask Croma in borivali and even reliance digital if they give any student discount.

GST one I cannot do since I don't own business. Is there any way you can help in that regard?

Apart from Aptronix, Maple, Unicorn and such which are Apple Premium Resellers, what other stores are official apple resellers? Reliance Digital, Croma? And do they ever give student pricing?

Last edited:
You'll end up paying 18% of the upfront discount you got as 'No Cost EMI' benefit apart from the 236bucks that HDFC charge as EMI conversion charges.
Basically, when GST was announced, this govt even brought the EMI interest that CC companies earn, under service charges and applied 18% GST on that. So every time one takes an EMI on a CC, apart from the interest (which is discounted in case of No Cost EMI), one also has to pay 18% GST on that interest amount.

Edit - Maybe you don't check your statements properly, but you pay this GST even on the No-cost EMIs on Amazon/Flipkart. Just recently Amazon has even started sendin a detailed email letting the customers know about the same as people were getting confused after checking their statements.

Edit 2 - This is from an Amazon email from one of my recent orders
Thank you sm for the info. Wasn't aware of this. 18% GST on interest isn't mentioned anywhere ig.

@Muathaz @TinTinSnowy

I called up Aptronix in Mumbai (Borivali) and they said it is 5% student discount and on top of that HDFC 6K cashback offer. There is no student discount on iPad at their store.
I called up Maple in Khar (have someone we know working there) and he said it is 6% discount and on top of that HDFC 6K cashback offer.

Also Aptronix tells me that Invoice will be in name of "student" and not in my name. Is that how it is supposed to be?

Also this is prebooking and not direct delivery as M1 Macbooks are not in stock and wait is at least 2-3 weeks.

@TinTinSnowy What store you asked in Mumbai and what information you got?

I got 5.xx % student discount. Slight variation will be there among stores afaik. you can try unicorn store, a few days back they had all colours in stock. Consider yourself lucky if you manage to get one though. waiting periods are huge even in the US. but trust me on this, it's worth the wait. Invoice will be in the name of the student. but that shouldn't cause any trouble in the future. Reliance also offer student discount but I'm pretty sure they won't have any stock before premium resellers do.

Back