Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

There is a technical preview of parallels for M1 on their site.
You may want to check that out.
Having said that, there are hardly any basic apps that don't have a corresponding equivalent (or workaround) between either platforms - What specifically are you looking to run?
Shitty custom made windows dotnet software, nothing standard..
I was thinking of seelling my ipad air 2 and macbook air and getting a new air.

Also, what are some must haves for Mac OS ? Both me and wifey are coming from Windows, and I did read some of the top 10/20 lists, but I trust peeps out here.
f.lux for post 7pm reading. very helpful.
Boom 3d for a nice eq if you require one. can tweak the speaker to sound slightly better too (advice against boosting volume tho).
Neat download manager to download large files. (very similar to idm). much better speeds than safari.
Smooze if you use an external mouse.

Boom 3d for a nice eq if you require one. can tweak the speaker to sound slightly better too (advice against boosting volume tho).
Neat download manager to download large files. (very similar to idm). much better speeds than safari.
Was looking for a download manager. Thanks.

Any particular benefit of using f.lux when we have True Tone and Night Shift already available in MacOS. I remember using it on custom roms way back as a nifty little feature.

Parallels have out of the box support for all major distros. I have tried it all, was fun on my earlier MBP.
installed parallels evaluation version and managed to get ubuntu groovy running. it wanted access to web cam, mic and record screen. though the arm64 version of ubuntu runs nice i hate it already. oh well i aint paying money. will try to compile qemu which seems to work on apple.

Screen Shot 2021-03-04 at 3.02.34 PM.jpg

Last edited:
installed parallels evaluation version and managed to get ubuntu groovy running. it wanted access to web cam, mic and record screen. though the arm64 version of ubuntu runs nice i hate it already. oh well i aint paying money. will try to compile qemu which seems to work on apple.

View attachment 101410
I heard about qemu but never tried it unfortunately, let me know if you face any performance lag or other issues.

Any particular benefit of using f.lux when we have True Tone and Night Shift already available in MacOS. I remember using it on custom roms way back as a nifty little feature.
true tone imo isn't that effective at night. f.lux also increases the warmth gradually from specified time. I use true tone + f.lux.

Last edited:
Sidecar Is preloaded on my Macbook Air M1 and worked great, the one time I tried.
Sidecar has always been pretty good on the Intel machines too.
It's just that I wouldn't use it too often because if at desk, I used to prefer working with an external monitor.
Adding a third high res display via sidecar used to cause the Intel machines to run a bit too hot for comfort - so I rarely used to.

Now I run the internal QHD+ + 4K external + QHD on iPad as three screens very often - Being able to dedicate more screens for specific apps is a pretty nice productivity enhancer.
and the CPU/GPU temps still remain under 45C :)
And the whole docking/ undocking is a single cable 2 second job!

20210306_010628_HDR.jpeg

Having an issue of battery drain since a few days after updating to 11.1 or 11.2 don’t remember but on sleep also it’s draining 10-15% in 12hrs overnight. When I checked the processes it is showing WindowServer taking cpu time and not letting it sleep.

Checked this thread and many more are facing similar issue - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252191369

Let me know if anyone has faced and successfully fixed it in their m1 air.

Thanks!

ru
Having an issue of battery drain since a few days after updating to 11.1 or 11.2 don’t remember but on sleep also it’s draining 10-15% in 12hrs overnight. When I checked the processes it is showing WindowServer taking cpu time and not letting it sleep.

Checked this thread and many more are facing similar issue - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/252191369

Let me know if anyone has faced and successfully fixed it in their m1 air.

Thanks!
Do the following :

1) Take a note/ screenshot of the energy tab in activity monitor before putting to sleep - and check again when you resume next day .. Just to double check which process drained the battery the most during sleep

2) If its indeed windowsServer then its likely some thread is preventing sleep .. Run the following command in the terminal
Code:
sudo pmset -g assertions
The list of threads at bottom will show you the last set of processes that prevented sleep - now the last couple will naturally be things like display active etc but the ones before that will show you the process name/pid that prevented sleep
Once you have zeroed down on the offending app/ activity/ process, you can troubleshoot further from there

ru

Do the following :

1) Take a note/ screenshot of the energy tab in activity monitor before putting to sleep - and check again when you resume next day .. Just to double check which process drained the battery the most during sleep

2) If its indeed windowsServer then its likely some thread is preventing sleep .. Run the following command in the terminal
Code:
sudo pmset -g assertions
The list of threads at bottom will show you the last set of processes that prevented sleep - now the last couple will naturally be things like display active etc but the ones before that will show you the process name/pid that prevented sleep
Once you have zeroed down on the offending app/ activity/ process, you can troubleshoot further from there

Thanks, I will analyse in depth and check. For now I was seeing Norton 360 VPN not responding in the list and consuming power so I killed it and closed other chrome tabs not being used!

Back