Apple M1 5nm chip launched for macbook air and pro 13 inch

since today morning I have spent over 4-5 hours trying to troubleshoot or fix this issue using few tutorials on reddit and other forums, but nothing seems to be working :(

this is huge bummer, had no clue about this

Are u sure any 4k monitor will work ? or I need to buy a specific model/brand ? I anyways wanted to buy a 4k monitor in few months
I was very disappointed too. :/

any 4k monitor will work.

@pauldmps cannot quote your post. that command is for font smoothening. it doesn't help. what's missing is the sub pixel anti aliasing. there's no way to enable it post Mojave ( i guess).

I will as usual complain about audio.
Now it's been more than a week and I'm certain these M1 machines ( Air in my case, but the thing is same with the 13inch pro) are using far worse DAC and Amp compared to the Intel 16 inch MBP ( which has fantastic onboard audio)
It's impossible to use this without an audio interface or external DAC Amp while just editing audio tracks ( no MIDI stuff or VSTi) Defeats my basic purpose...the Gram has MUCH BETTER onboard audio. This thing hums with easy to drive cans, can't power anything more demanding.
No review mentioned this. In fact most reviewers don't care about real life usage. I'm sure video editors are having similar problems.
This thing is going back tomorrow (to be replaced with a 16 inch proper laptop..should have listened to the Apple store people, as it's a local store I know some of them and everyone suggested the 16inch MBP for real work)
Regarding the external display issues, only option is to buy a monitor with a PPI of ~220, but vendors do not make such monitors. It should be 4k 21-23" or 5k 27".

One suggestion:
At the command prompt, type the following: defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 0

Replace the 0 with 2 if you want to go back to default. It's possibly not an issue with M1 but this nasty Big Sur ( but something like font smoothing command should work..)

Last edited:
any Macbook users here using ur mac with an external monitor and facing blurry texts ? I have a 24inch Dell full HD IPS monitor and the texts are blurry/pixellated :(
absolutely no such issues when I connect my Windows laptop, I have tried both HDMI & Display ports.
you ideally need 4K monitors for Mac..
Any 4K monitor will work - and the text looks much better than win on same monitor..
If you can get a monitor with USB C power delivery and USB ports then you can have a single cable solution for everything

@Muathaz I dont have a 1080p monitor to test - but would one of the custom scaling options (press option key when selecting scaled in display settings) help someone with a FHD monitor?

I almost bought a M1 Mac mini thinking it to be a value for money. Apple is one such brand where you need to confirm if your mouse, printer, cable, monitor, mousepad etc works with it or not. So even a 4k display is enough or it has to be in 'Apple's specified ppi range' because some users are saying even 4k won't do because it has less ppi. Apple cc even said that they don't officially support external monitor on M1 macs. What I fail to understand is why there is not even a single user or YouTuber talking about it and warning others. So buying a Mac mini is total non sense, an iMac is a far better buy. And some morons call iPad OS crippled.

yes u are right, even the Logitech bluetooth mouse I am using has its own isses when connected to a macbook, the scrolling is choppy and u need to install a 3rd party app to as a work around to fix that

oh oh now I need to find the right 4k monitor, preferably with a PD port

LG 27UL850 most Apple user love to pick up, 27 inch 4k with 60watt PD charging which is compatible with M1 machines.

Last edited:
I almost bought a M1 Mac mini thinking it to be a value for money. Apple is one such brand where you need to confirm if your mouse, printer, cable, monitor, mousepad etc works with it or not. So even a 4k display is enough or it has to be in 'Apple's specified ppi range' because some users are saying even 4k won't do because it has less ppi. Apple cc even said that they don't officially support external monitor on M1 macs. What I fail to understand is why there is not even a single user or YouTuber talking about it and warning others. So buying a Mac mini is total non sense, an iMac is a far better buy. And some morons call iPad OS crippled.
Everything works absolutely fine for most people …
As far as glitching goes, I find far more hardware related glitches with my windows laptop than with the apple..
this is presuming you don’t have older/ dated hardware/ peripherals - which windows has better backward compatibility for ..

This however is a double edged sword too as support for newer hardware also gets buggy/ less seamless due to all the legacy support windows needs to account for.

As an example, I have a 4k display with a couple of audio o/p paths , gbe LAN, printer and other peripherals connected to a thunderbolt hub.
When I connect the TB wire to The macbook air , the desktop is ready to use by the time I turn around to the screen. If I open the lid for dual screen, all the windows switch to the last position.. and if i close the lid, everything moves over to the external as expected.

The same setup with my LG gram - it works but with multiple issues .. sometimes, the monitor fails to resume from sleep unless i disconnect/ reconnect the cable
Sometimes the monitor switches to duplicate. Extended screen does now switch to single monitor if i close the lid.
Sometimes I have to mandatorily restart the gram as it refuses to recognize the monitor.
Similar glitchiness happenswith connected audio also.
Once it’s hooked properly though, it works fine for the most part - except monitor waking up when system resumes from sleep - so as a workaround, I have the windows laptop set to never sleep when on power.
Net result is that the whole convenience of having a TB hub based desktop is lost due to the bugginess at time of connecting / disconnecting - while it all works damn near perfect with the Mac

near perfect with the Mac
so one cannot use existing full HD monitor and Bluetooth mouse which majority of the users will have, and still you call near perfect Mac.

and i use xps13 with cheap Chinese thunderbolt adapter with power delivery, and it works fine without any issues you mentioned above by generalizing as windows issue...

Strange isn't?
What I fail to understand is why there is not even a single user
True, no one talked about it and even people here too...

Also i didn't understand the logic behind this kind of fanboism... if someone talks about a flaw in apple products, immediately people come back and justify it saying windows is bad, Android is bad, so and so..

Last edited:
so one cannot use existing full HD monitor and Bluetooth mouse which majority of the users will have, and still you call near perfect Mac.

and i use xps13 with cheap Chinese thunderbolt adapter with power delivery, and it works fine without any issues you mentioned above by generalizing as windows issue...

Strange isn't?

True, no one talked about it and even people here too...
I never said either is better.
Just that both platforms have different philosophies .

On a side note, what do you even mean by a cheap chinese thunderbolt adapter - I would be genuinely interested in knowing coz I have never seen one

Also i didn't understand the logic behind this kind of fanboism... if someone talks about a flaw in apple products, immediately people come back and justify it saying windows is bad, Android is bad, so and so..
All responses to the OPs post - by every single FM who posted is on what would possibly help his case.
Read again and you will realize who initiated fanboism posting

@Muathaz I dont have a 1080p monitor to test - but would one of the custom scaling options (press option key when selecting scaled in display settings) help someone with a FHD monitor?
Nope that does not help. Like I said they have removed that anti aliasing thing.

As far as glitching goes, I find far more hardware related glitches with my windows laptop than with the apple..
I feel like there's no need for any explanation. Some people fail to see a product objectively regardless of their hate towards a particular brand. And *most* have not even properly used the thing that they hate.

1080p monitors looking horrible should've been mentioned by these so called reviewers though. That was my only grave disappointment.

The choppy mouse thing. It's fixed by a 2mb app and it makes scrolling better than both Windows and Mac. If you want smooth scrolling on windows, you should install a 3rd party app too. although the choppiness is not that severe on windows.
sorry to inform but majority of the users don't use an external monitor with their laptop.

@superczar see one member says, his full hd monitor is not working with m1 and another member says, this is a problem with Apple product, and anything before you buy make sure your existing peripherals are compatible with that... even a simple Bluetooth mouse will have problems with Apple product.

you immediately justify it saying, my lg gram also having problems, so it's near perfect in Mac!!!

here is a cheap tb adapter i use it for last three years, have one more with ethernet support also at home. basically one in work place and one in home.

sorry to inform but majority of the users don't use an external monitor with their laptop
do not generalize... people use it for development needs external monitor, without that it's difficult to do coding and have other apps open in primary display... also which is exactly reason why thunderbolt adapter is so popular.

My friend is using M1 Mac Mini with regular Logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard and never had any problem. He is also using it with normal 1080p monitor and again never had any problem.

People who own and are using a Mac in their real life on daily basis are not complaining but those who never touched it are complaining.

@superczar see one member says, his full hd monitor is not working with m1 and another member says, this is a problem with Apple product, and anything before you buy make sure your existing peripherals are compatible with that... even a simple Bluetooth mouse will have problems with Apple product.

you immediately justify it saying, my lg gram also having problems, so it's near perfect in Mac!!!

here is a cheap tb adapter i use it for last three years, have one more with ethernet support also at home. basically one in work place and one in home.

do not generalize... people use it for development needs external monitor, without that it's difficult to do coding and have other apps open in primary display... also which is exactly reason why thunderbolt adapter is so popular.
1) That is not Thunderbolt - that is USB C.. they are not the same.. Not at all

2) The part in this post - a totally fair, non fanboi comment (" this is a problem with Apple product, and anything before you buy make sure your existing peripherals are compatible with that... even a simple Bluetooth mouse will have problems with Apple product.") - which is different from the earlier post

In any case, I like most computing platforms - win and Mac , android and ios, linux too !
Actively use all of them on a daily basis too...(No , really!)

My post was simply a relative comparison to illustrate my point on wider backward compatibility (good thing) as well as the side effects of that (not a good thing)

ANyway, not to extend this argument and back on the topic- Peace out! :)

this is presuming you don’t have older/ dated hardware/ peripherals - which windows has better backward compatibility for ..

This however is a double edged sword too as support for newer hardware also gets buggy/ less seamless due to all the legacy support windows needs to account for.

As an example, I have a 4k display with a couple of audio o/p paths , gbe LAN, printer and other peripherals connected to a thunderbolt hub.
When I connect the TB wire to The macbook air , the desktop is ready to use by the time I turn around to the screen. If I open the lid for dual screen, all the windows switch to the last position.. and if i close the lid, everything moves over to the external as expected.

The same setup with my LG gram - it works but with multiple issues..
Once it’s hooked properly though, it works fine for the most part - except monitor waking up when system resumes from sleep - so as a workaround, I have the windows laptop set to never sleep when on power.
Net result is that the whole convenience of having a TB hub based desktop is lost due to the bugginess at time of connecting / disconnecting - while it all works damn near perfect with the Mac
I also do have a LG Gram and M1 MacBook Air and 2 4k monitors at the humble home studio.
And no sir, my old Gram never glitches.
Can't say the same about that particular MBA. I'm not a person who worships any brand ( no Apple doesn't intimidate me at all, my main computer is still a superb iMac) and denies personal experience.
The M1 machines are great for light users whose use is restricted to usual email, browsing, youtube and who can do most of the things in a browser ( I know nothing about coding etc. but all such hardcore people I know of use Windows and Linux, I do know 2 of iOS app developer who use Macs exclusively, one is behind some food ordering app in India for iphones, but both of them are on intel 16 inch MBPs)
I will give an example, attach any audio interface with official Apple ( or whatever they sell in their stores) dongle, connect it both to your studio monitors. Now with LPX open, connect your headphones to the interface...you will instantly see how immature the system till is!!
Try the same with Gram or an XPS, the transition will take few seconds depending upon the DAW ( in good professional softwares like Samplitude/ Sequoia it only takes seconds to change it in ASIO4ALL without any crash)
The exact same thing happens with FCPX!!
If LPX/ FCPX users are not professionals for Apple, who are?
M1 is great for casual/ normal computer users, who don't need to a specific software and have thousands of alternatives like an amateur photographer, hobbiest programmer.
But when your time is money, it has a LONG WAY to go.
My friend is using M1 Mac Mini with regular Logitech bluetooth mouse and keyboard and never had any problem.

People who own and are using a Mac in their real life on daily basis are not complaining but those who never touched it are complaining.
Because your friend's work can be done with any computer PC/ Mac doesn't matter.
Enlarge your social circle/ visit your local Apple store and try to find out how many "pros" have returned the M1 Macs.
It's perfectly fine for most average users, but not ready for users who really need a powerful computer to earn money ( Mac user since 2009, still use an iMac as main computer and have at least 4/5 MacBook Pro/ Air in the house along with at least 4 ipads of various sizes and writing this from an iPhone)

Last edited:
That is not Thunderbolt - that is USB C.. they are not the same.. Not at all
why do you say its usb c? have you ever used it? the product title clearly says tb3 dock and I'm using it for the past three years.

Ok, based on your knowledge let me know what's the tb3 dock will do?

Back