Android AT&T Pantech Burst - Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^ Thanks. Will attempt another ICS update after a factory reset.

However I believe to have isolated the problem. I get a message saying 'Acquiring RWorld settings' with an option saying Yes or Cancel. I used to say yes and after a few minutes the invalid SIM message would occur. If I say Cancel then so far the SIM is working perfectly. :)
No need of reset , thats the problem . try it with another SIM to be sure

^^ All right. Will hold off the ICS update till I can find someone else who uses a micro sim. Though I am quite sure its a software problem more than a hardware problem. So far its been 6 hrs till I cancelled the R World settings pop up and there still hasn't been an invalid SIM error. :)

Update - The problem hasn't reoccurred so its possible that if I cancel the RWorld setting request I shouldn't face any problems in future. :)

what app do i need to install to uninstall system apps like Facebook, AT&T apps like navigator, stock, sboard, etc? i rooted the phone and installed superuser. do i need cwm installed too?

you need to root your device first to freeze or remove stock (at&t) apps.. titanium backup does the job well on rooted devices..

triggered from tappa-talk 2

when i connect phone through usb, windows does not recognize the device after rooting it. it says unknown usb device now.

^^
Try using a different USB port on your Laptop or check your cable. It could be a driver issue as well.

aalok bhai - Root Explorer is also good.

Ok I got another query.

I re-flashed to ICS and thankfully its all working fine now with no noticeable bugs.

However its stuck on 3G mode, which isn't a problem since I have a 3G data plan. However I just wanted to confirm that the phone will automatically switch to 2G if there is no 3G right ?

Would be grateful if anyone can confirm that as I am a bit apprehensive as I am going outside Mumbai for a trip and I don't want to have a phone that doesn't connect to any network. :p

I believe it should but honestly I am in unfamiliar territory since I have never owned a phone that couldn't switch networks before !

Ok I got another query.

I re-flashed to ICS and thankfully its all working fine now with no noticeable bugs.

However its stuck on 3G mode, which isn't a problem since I have a 3G data plan. However I just wanted to confirm that the phone will automatically switch to 2G if there is no 3G right ?

Would be grateful if anyone can confirm that as I am a bit apprehensive as I am going outside Mumbai for a trip and I don't want to have a phone that doesn't connect to any network. :p

I believe it should but honestly I am in unfamiliar territory since I have never owned a phone that couldn't switch networks before !

i believe most operators have some sort of agreement with other state/region operators on sharing 3g revenues. so you will get 3g almost everywhere. what you should be worried about are the 3g charges while roaming.

@prateekS , @6pack - Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I tried the widget option but it didn't allow me to access the 2G network.

However when I went to Town today I did see that I had latched on to EDGE network in one shop so it seems that the phone will automatically revert to 2G only if 3G isn't available.

Will disable data when I travel as I was mostly worried about whether I could make calls or not. Will activate data only when I need to use maps or surf the net. :)

Thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I just upgraded to ICS. Now I am not able to use market or Tapatalk on edge (only opera Mini is working) whereas on gingerbread all were working fine on edge network. All network setting are same as before. I am Docomo in Karnataka.

Any thoughts on this::-

I plan on buying this phone to replace my Motorola Defy. I would be grateful if someone answers the following questions about the Pantech Burst:-

[1] What is the battery life I can expect for the following usage scenario? If I plan on using the phone for 3-4 hours of voice calls and about 10-20 smses each day with 30 minutes of checking office emails and 1 hour of gaming and 2 hours of music. I will be on 2g and will very very rarely use 3g.
[2] How many hours of non stop xvid/divx/mkv video playback can I get ?
[3] How does rooting help this phone?
[4] Are there any improvements in battery life and performance after rooting the phone?
[5] Is there any scope for CM9/10/any other custom rom for this phone in the near future?
[6] What would be better for battery life - GB or the new ICS update from pantech?
Are you a fool ? (don't mind bro ;) ) Motorola defy is far far far better than this due to several reason.. defy got most awesome andro battery ... It got ample of custom roms and almost many are bugless. . You have multiboot option too on defy , defy is getting andro 4.2 in few days itself and i don't anything more to say ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back