Audio Audiophile and gears

Why don't they bring these higher quality services to India ? I know we are the biggest garbage dumping ground in the world. But its frustrating; its not that the infra is not up to mark or they will not get paid.
Amazon and Google are the main culprits for this, absolutely tired of their 2nd class treatment. Luckily I am sure they will come running after us nonetheless, maybe in a few months, maybe in a year.

Everyone will eventually want untapped business.

That's what I used to tell myself whenever I found hot girl in college days.
Hot girls were much easier back in college days mate ( at least when I was in college... Jurassic age)
A stoner with a guitar was usually sufficient in most medical schools ( it still works in parts of Europe) for audition only though...
But these DAPs man!! I mean you can't even audition most of them.

Hot girls were much easier back in college days mate ( at least when I was in college... Jurassic age)
A stoner with a guitar was usually sufficient in most medical schools ( it still works in parts of Europe) for audition only though...
But these DAPs man!! I mean you can't even audition most of them.
I think there are many dedicated audio stores in the main target audience market like Hong Kong, Singapore and Tokyo where DAP culture is really big. I am not sure about India though but Headphone Zone which caries all DAPs from major brands, usually have stuff for demo in their Mumbai HQ.

Best thing is usually to get into shows like CanJam. I know EU is also an audio desert just like India.

Very true...in EU you can audition headphones in some cities in Germany or Austria.
But the DAP market is non existent at least in Czech Republic and Slovakia, we don't even have local Amazon.
DAC/ amps ( non portable ones) are available, but the portable audio situation is worse than India.

Last edited:
Any suggestions for a good amp for sundara, something under 10k, if any cheaper good options are available that'll do too as mostly I'll use my mobile LG G8x and sometimes PC.
I don't have any idea if I need DAC or amp, but I read that amp is what I need first then DAC.

Don't think you NEED an amp with that particular phone. Great set up already.
Just enjoy the music.
A humble suggestion: Instead of spending a lot on hardware, buy some well mastered music legally..
On the topic of well-mastered music, is it worth scouting for, and buying, DSD files over standard FLACs or 320kbps MP3? For some artists and albums, there is a clear difference for lossless versions (although even in those scenarios it's at best 20-25% better, not really noticeable without back to back listening), but is DSD really that much better than regular lossless?

I only have 2 high res albums
Metallica - Black Album
Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms

Both from HDtracks, the black album sounds great not sure about the second one ( it was already a very nicely mastered record)
Not into spectral analysis..though understand the concept.
Don't pay for those 5.1 dvd audio thing.. complete rip off.

On the topic of well-mastered music, is it worth scouting for, and buying, DSD files over standard FLACs or 320kbps MP3? For some artists and albums, there is a clear difference for lossless versions (although even in those scenarios it's at best 20-25% better, not really noticeable without back to back listening), but is DSD really that much better than regular lossless?
Even back when my ears weren't screwed, i couldn't tell the difference above 192kbits so 320k is a waste of space for me. It also depends on the mastering quality though and if they're pro or anti loudness war lol

Metallica - Black Album

Both from HDtracks, the black album sounds great not sure about the second one ( it was already a very nicely mastered record)

I have only one, Mark Knopfler - 2000 - Sailing To Philadelphia (DTS).nrg. Yes that's the exact filename. It's a 650mb disc image, and supposed to be DTS. Not sure what the exact tech specs are but it sure sounds amazing! What an artist he is.

Upto 24 bit 96Khz it's fine, not worth paying extra beyond these sample rates. If recording is a new album then 24bit 44k is also good.

Metallica - Black Album

I got about 25-30 Albums in DSD format and 20-25 more albums in 24 bit 96 khz format.
I am grateful for my hearing is a bit better than average, upto 24bit 96khz it's noticeable but difference above 96khz. its just not there, may be a few tracks.
After 192Khz it's just gimmick
Tried playing a DSD file and then downsampled the same file on the fly to 192khz , No difference.
I got 5-6 Metallica albums from official digital download, earlier they were providing 24bit-96k format now they too downgraded to 24bit-48k, A couple of samples from previous purchase in 24bit -96Khz.
let me know if there's any difference between this and your HDtracks copy. I am no judge but these copies sounds the best to me.

Enter Sandman
Struggle within
Whisky in the Jar

Whisky in the jar sounds amazing on my setup.

Slightly off topic, can you enjoy these audiophile headphones if you have tinnitus and do they make it worse if we listen in medium volume and sometimes in high volume.

Upto 24 bit 96Khz it's fine, not worth paying extra beyond these sample rates. If recording is a new album then 24bit 44k is also good.

I got about 25-30 Albums in DSD format and 20-25 more albums in 24 bit 96 khz format.
I am grateful for my hearing is a bit better than average, upto 24bit 96khz it's noticeable but difference above 96khz. its just not there, may be a few tracks.
After 192Khz it's just gimmick
Tried playing a DSD file and then downsampled the same file on the fly to 192khz , No difference.
I got 5-6 Metallica albums from official digital download, earlier they were providing 24bit-96k format now they too downgraded to 24bit-48k, A couple of samples from previous purchase in 24bit -96Khz.
let me know if there's any difference between this and your HDtracks copy. I am no judge but these copies sounds the best to me.

Enter Sandman
Struggle within
Whisky in the Jar

Whisky in the jar sounds amazing on my setup.
Yes, they are amazing ....but can't really compare with the HDtracks copy of Sandman with my present equipment.

Slightly off topic, can you enjoy these audiophile headphones if you have tinnitus and do they make it worse if we listen in medium volume and sometimes in high volume.
Not going to repost here but if you search around i had posted my hearing problems in another thread.

Very good advice i read somewhere: find the lowest volume you think is legible and then listen a couple clicks lower volume than that.

You shouldn't even be asking about high volume. Even moderate volumes with high SPL audiophile headphones can be very dangerous especially for people who already have tinnitus. And not sure but i think closed backs are even worse at relieving pressure.

I wouldn't blame my dt770p alone for my (probably permanent) hearing damage, but they sure played a part. Currently only on speakers at ultra low volume+subtitles. Listening to music? What's that? :-/

Not going to repost here but if you search around i had posted my hearing problems in another thread.

Very good advice i read somewhere: find the lowest volume you think is legible and then listen a couple clicks lower volume than that.

You shouldn't even be asking about high volume. Even moderate volumes with high SPL audiophile headphones can be very dangerous especially for people who already have tinnitus. And not sure but i think closed backs are even worse at relieving pressure.

I wouldn't blame my dt770p alone for my (probably permanent) hearing damage, but they sure played a part. Currently only on speakers at ultra low volume+subtitles. Listening to music? What's that? :-/
Looks like I made a mistake buying sundara. If I can't even use it what's the point lol.

Looks like I made a mistake buying sundara. If I can't even use it what's the point lol.
I'm pretty sure Julian's tinnitus is temporary. Though I'm not exactly sure of the issues, he is improving slowly ( AFAIK) and will be fine.
You bought the best possible headphones at reasonable budget mate. Since open back, they are less likely to produce tinnitus.
Please wait out a bit, you should be fine.
My left ear often produces tinnitus specially after live gig...but becomes normal.within couple of days ( though my hearing is completely messed up)

I'm pretty sure Julian's tinnitus is temporary. Though I'm not exactly sure of the issues, he is improving slowly ( AFAIK) and will be fine.
You bought the best possible headphones at reasonable budget mate. Since open back, they are less likely to produce tinnitus.
Please wait out a bit, you should be fine.
My left ear often produces tinnitus specially after live gig...but becomes normal.within couple of days ( though my hearing is completely messed up)
Ya I only notice my tinnitus if I turn my attention to it, other times it feels normal, I just hope these don't make it worse. It feels like I've always lived with tinnitus, I thought it was permanent.
Waiting for the headphones to arrive in a few days now, very excited. I'm sure the jump from blons to this will be worth every penny.

It hasn't improved as in gotten any less intense. My brain is just getting used to it and tuning it out a little i think. Kinda like after sometime you don't notice trains going by if you live near a track but visitors will go crazy. It's almost a year now. The bigger issue is the hyperacusis which is what seems to be triggering the tinnitus (also mentioned by the ENT). The ENT also said constant tinnitus is permanent and can't be treated. I had mild tinnitus for over 15 years which wasn't intrusive in daily life. It would peak after a night partying with friends which could be the loud music/alcohol but usually was better in the morning. Just like the example doc made above about gigging.

So if you already have tinnitus be extremely careful not to use you headphone loud at all. Always less than moderate levels. I've been using headphones/earphones moderately loud for years without any change in the tinnitus and without developing hyperacusis. What happened now may be age or a combination of various factors or even a viral infection. The hyperacusis has affected my life in crazy ways, i can't step out of the house without plugging my ears, it's kinda odd to walk around wearing foam or silicon ear plugs so i plug in my earphones (without anything playing). They block just enough sound like horns and traffic to not provoke the hyperacusis while still allowing for safety (can still hear horns etc). The silicon ones are good enough even for vacuuming at home and the foam ones add maybe 5-10% more blocking. The in-earphones are NOT enough for vacuuming.

If you read other people's experiences on reddit etc. you will not really understand why they keep warning about loud listening levels until you actually go through it yourself.

Ya I only notice my tinnitus if I turn my attention to it, other times it feels normal, I just hope these don't make it worse. It feels like I've always lived with tinnitus, I thought it was permanent.
I was exactly the same from about 2005 to 2020.

Last edited by a moderator:
can you enjoy these audiophile headphones if you have tinnitus
How bad is the tinnitus? I hear loud buzzign whenever I use earplugs, not sure if that qualifies as tinnitus. You should still be able to enjoy music.

My tube amp makes a light humming sound thats apparent at very low volumes. It took me a week for my mind to filter it out and now I don't hear anything. Don't give up on good headphones man

Back