Audio Audiophile and gears

Not an Apple user.
Does this extensive list of supported codes by ver II, make it any better? SBC, aptX™, aptX™ Low Latency, AAC

I am offered a pxc550 NEW sealed one for Rs10000. Usage : Mostly, Tidal, Youtube, & calls an hour a day may be. Looking only for BT & economical option.
I have seen the newer version goes as low as 13-14K. If saving 3/4k is important, go for the PXC550 (try to do some bargaining if possible)
aptX is what I use mostly and couldn't find any difference/advantage of LDAC over aptX with Drop Panda.
Sonically you probably won't miss anything on Android. However the Bluetooth 4.1 vs 5 thing is way above my technological understanding. I can tell you one thing, the battery life on the headphones are practically same with both.

Not much of a headphone guy but on some evenings when I'm too lazy to even turn my listening speaker setup on at home my HD599's give me a lot of comfort...

714550e7-9561-475d-89cd-277ecebf8fcd.jpg

You are on a headphone buying spree now? [emoji106]

Haha! I can't disagree my friend. Of late these are the things I have ended up buying:

JBL104 Monitors
Marantz PM5005 Stereo Amplifier
Auris Blume HD
MICCA MB42 Bookshelf Speakers (2.0, Passive)
FiiO E10K
FiiO M3 Pro
Sennheiser HD599 SE
Wharfedale Linton Heritage (Waiting to get the stereo listening setup done in my new house).

I blame it on post-COVID buying syndrome or maybe it's boredom induced? I don't know... LoL!

Haha! I can't disagree my friend. Of late these are the things I have ended up buying:

JBL104 Monitors
Marantz PM5005 Stereo Amplifier
Auris Blume HD
MICCA MB42 Bookshelf Speakers (2.0, Passive)
FiiO E10K
FiiO M3 Pro
Sennheiser HD599 SE
Wharfedale Linton Heritage (Waiting to get the stereo listening setup done in my new house).

I blame it on post-COVID buying syndrome or maybe it's boredom induced? I don't know... LoL!
I wish I had a dedicated listening room for those Wharfedale, they seem to be a good bang for buck audio investment.

FiiO E10K
FiiO M3 Pro
Sennheiser HD599 SE
The M3 Pro can easily drive the Deva to more than adequate volume and quality at volume level of 40 (60 being max) and with lot of headroom.
And they have a beautiful synergy. M3 Pro is really an underrated DAP. Lack of Bluetooth may be a bummer for some people. But as a portable wired player it's just fantastic.
I don't have any new DAP to compare them to, so I'm comparing with pretty expensive desktop setups, and it's really good for the money.
In fact I'm using it as external DAC with laptops nowadays. They can drive even HD660s/ 560s ( but that's possibly the limit of this little DAP, it kind of struggles with K712, adequate volume but sounds thin and harsh)

I was looking at amp dac setups which had mic input as well, for gaming use, so that I can control the headphone and mic volume from single device. (Bought a cheap condenser mic with a 3.5mm jack quite some time back). Don’t have a PC setup right now but plan to get some good headphones for music and gaming. (Suggestions welcome)

Found out about schiit hel and fulla which have mic inputs. Are these good devices or not worth it? Advisable to get these, or keep headphone and mic separate?

Mic does have volume and echo dials on it, but the mic is old and dusty and it crackles a lot when dial is moved. Hoping to get a bit more sound quality out of it. If not, might get a usb mic (snowball?). My friend has them and they sound quite nice on discord and teamspeak.

You will probably have some noise and crackles with the microphone inputs.
Just buy a cheap Behringer interface for the microphones.
PXL_20210805_102909451.PORTRAIT.jpg
I'm pretty sure, nothing can sound this beautiful ( with perfectly fine details, balance etc.) in a home portable setup under 500 EUR
(This combination costs around 180 EUR)
If you're stuck at home and planning to buy an IEM...please consider a big cheap planar like this, it sounds MUCH better than 1200 EUR IEMs.

Last edited:
Please don't forget to tell us how they sound.
From the link you mentioned in your post, landed up here
https://soundchaser.org/etymotic-er4-over-the-years/
I still have the Etys ( possibly the ER4P) bought years ago. Sounds spectacular, and the passive isolation!!
I have a tendency to loose IEMs, but this thing along with an Adidas edition HD25 II travelled with me everywhere for years (they are perfectly fine for airplanes, though not comparable to modern ANC headphones)

I eventually bought lot of more expensive IEMs, even a custom one, but the Etys will always have a special place in my heart along with the HD25. Not many headphones, even today, can not retrieve so much detail.

Last edited:
View attachment 110925
I'm pretty sure, nothing can sound this beautiful ( with perfectly fine details, balance etc.) in a home portable setup under 500 EUR
If you're stuck at home and planning to buy an IEM...please consider a big cheap planar like this, it sounds MUCH better than 1200 EUR IEMs.
How is soundstage & imaging ? is this somewhat bright ?

So someone recommended these and also read fairly good stuff for this so cheap -

Placed an order. Lets see.

I recently got KZ EDX and sound good, pretty good for Rs.900

Good to see many earphones under 1000rs, the only one I've used is sony mh755 and it was a steal for 350rs. It'd be great to have a separate thread for it so others can utilise it as it's very hard to find good under earphones under 1k.

View attachment 110925

Those cans look so sweet. It's like beautiful looking leather on a plush couch. You immediately want to pick them up and put them on your ears they are so inviting!

By the way, I wanted to asked... the HD599 SE fits my head well and I have no problems wearing it. Of course I don't really walk about wearing the 599 and they are strictly for my desk listening. How is the fit on the DEVA? I watched a review on Youtube where the user said the fit isn't as nice as the HD599 and it's a little on the loose side? Have you had any issues when wearing it?

Absolutely none! The cups are larger than Sundara, extremely comfortable. I don't have the HD599, but the HD598 ( almost identical to 599 in physical dimensions) and they are also very comfortable.
Yes, the clamp is somewhat loose, but it doesn't fall off with normal head/ neck movements ( they will if you're into headbanging)
All the planars I have/ had has slightly loose clamp compared to Sennheiser HD5XX/6XX series.
Don't worry, you can use Deva for hours without any discomfort. They are slightly heavier compared to 598, but much lighter to Audeze headphones.
But the cable is really thick and heavy. I replaced it with a dirt cheap aux cable from Amazon ( <10EUR!!), problem solved.
Hifiman finally managed to make a headphone without QC issues, there is practically no driver mismatch. And the single ended balanced connection does work, checked with the cheap
dual TRRS cable and a 3.5 male to 4.4 female adaptor with Topping A90's balanced out (significant volume boost without touching the potentiometer)
Don't know why hifiman is not selling a single ended balanced cable, the beleivers of the balanced> un balanced camp will surely buy them.
This headphone is really special, it looks different, wired differently, can be used as wireless headphone. SQ wise typical hifiman budget planar with a hint of warmth in the midbass. Perfect pairing with the typical dry and sharp THX amps, the slight warmth has a beautiful synergy with THX razor sharp character.
Even at 15-16K INR it's a great deal. HD560s possibly is in the similar price bracket. But I somehow find them little hard to drive ( not the volume, but the quality)
It's also excellent for the price, but it's too clinical,too precise..more like a tool for mix checking.
How is soundstage & imaging ? is this somewhat bright ?
Soundstage is above average ( not K712 like) imaging is really good. Typical realistic planar timbre.
Yes, possibly slightly bright, but I love this kind of signature. Use any typical ifi audio amp. It will take care of the brightness.

Last edited:
Back