Audio Audiophile and gears

Anybody here using the xDuoo XD05 basic/ plus/ balanced or hip DAC or the Fiio Q3 ?

Yes…..Hip DAC and 1st gen xDuoo XD05 (USB A at the back / AKM 4490) - No plainer as of now.

Hip for Tidal Only bought recently - (max usage wise) HD 598 SE, AKG 712 Pro, MSR 7

XD05 mainly for Netflix / Prime / Hotstar Disney - Countless Hours
HP used (max usage wise) with xDuoo XD05 : ATH-AD700x (now almost destroyed cable - last leg), HD 598 SE, AKG 712 Pro now mostly, MSR 7 and M50x Occasionally used.

Last edited:
@Black_Hawk silence for a thread like this is always a good thing, means everyone is happy and enjoying their existing gear :p
I agree but it doesn't always mean this. My PC's display is not working since last 10 days, RMA still in progress , parts in transit. So not every actively participating here at TE.
but you're right I'm happy too like everyone else. :)

Yes…..Hip DAC and 1st gen xDuoo XD05 (USB A at the back / AKM 4490) - No plainer as of now.

Hip for Tidal Only bought recently - (max usage wise) HD 598 SE, AKG 712 Pro, MSR 7

XD05 mainly for Netflix / Prime / Hotstar Disney - Countless Hours
HP used (max usage wise) with xDuoo XD05 : ATH-AD700x (now almost destroyed cable - last leg), HD 598 SE, AKG 712 Pro now mostly, MSR 7 and M50x Occasionally used.
Need something transportable ( mostly with laptop) to fairly easy to drive Ananda/ Deva, a very hard to drive DT880 ( possibly will carry the 880 as it's really well built) to keep in the office all the time and carry around if required.
Looks like XD05 plus is the one I need. Others won't be able to drive the difficult DT880. May carry around the HD600 also.

I agree but it doesn't always mean this. My PC's display is not working since last 10 days, RMA still in progress , parts in transit. So not every actively participating here at TE.
but you're right I'm happy too like everyone else. :)
You need to get a decent Laptop and embrace the portable world like all of us :D

You need to get a decent Laptop and embrace the portable world like all of us :D
Yes, I am considering for something portable, but for music nothing's like a desktop with full sized keyboard and some good sound card or DAC/AMPs
I'm sure he has a more than decent laptop, but more purist than most of us are.
No mate, I only use pre-owned type laptop. It's my sister she keeps on switching laptops every year or so.
All I do with her old laptop is to play with some pirated softwares and games like contra and tetris:p, then dispose or donate it.

For music I prefer something without battery.

No mate, I only use pre-owned type laptop. It's my sister she keeps on switching laptops every year or so.

For music I prefer something without battery.
Keep on using your sister's "old" laptops mate and use that budget on better/ more useful things.
Also hate audio equipment with battery, but due to frequent travel, have to deal with laptop and other shit with battery and chargers.

Need something transportable ( mostly with laptop) to fairly easy to drive Ananda/ Deva, a very hard to drive DT880 ( possibly will carry the 880 as it's really well built) to keep in the office all the time and carry around if required.
Looks like XD05 plus is the one I need. Others won't be able to drive the difficult DT880. May carry around the HD600 also.

If I understand your requirements, I think you looking for extremly detail & bright solution to hear each guitar strings and iFi product will not going to help you by any means - one thing I like to add here ESS 9038 is also very very detail reveling DAC - I belive you already know that during your D90SE ownership…..Now the qustion is will xDuoo plus version with 4493 satisfy your needs ?

With Hip I can use my Tin T2 (Orignal One) for hours, Once done my ear never feels tired.

———-
This year 2021, I lost Audio stuff

- Fiio X5 - 3rd Gen due to bulging Battery during the Covid 2nd Wave…Very Sad during the dark days, Expeted to use more, Got once it released ….2016 maybe ? - Never going to buy another DAP in my life

- Fiio E17K - Bulging Battery Due to it’s Age - Lots of lots of usage, Satisfied….Got proably in 2015 - 16

- Topping D50 (Non S) version - Out of no where it suddenly stopped working 2 weeks ago - Got from Ali Express Late 2017 or Early 2018, Never thought a non battery item going down so easily.

Last edited:
Ahh, I used to have Xonar DG and ATH-AD300 on my gaming pc. Those sweet sweet days are never coming back.

Hated everything portable during that era (pre 2015), now I don't even have space left to put a desktop pc in house.

Precisely, I don't like warm amp or headphones. But my experience with portable amp/ dac amp is very limited.
Presently I have a Topping D90/A90 stack, Drop THX789 and Woo's WA7 (tube amp).
And possibly like the 789 a tiny bit more ( A90 is also very good)
Couldn't ever remember the DAC's model number, but perfectly happy with whatever the M3 Pro has ( ? ES9218??), can use it as DAC and use a portable amp only. The tiny DAP can power Ananda and Deva just fine, but absolutely useless with the 600 ohm version of DT880.
I completely understand your frustrations with expensive DAPs. They are way overpriced and even the expensive ones like M11 ( that's the only expensive DAP I've tried in recent times) doesn't sound all that great even with genuinely nice headphones. And of course the lifespan factor.
In fact I was about to buy the limited edition M11 but thankfully was able to audition the older M11. These DAPs are probably good for IEM users only (contrary to many reviews)
Also consider Mojo.
Please don't get me wrong, Rob is excellent in marketing. Almost every audiophile here has a Chord Mojo and like it.
I have used 2 of them for couple of weeks ( together more than a month)
But it is VERY HEAVY for the size and I absolutely hate the marbles. And the thing gets really HOT even in colder places like where I live.
Regarding sound, it's good, but nothing spectacular or jaw dropping.
Now the weird thing..you can use it in line out mode BUT it goes into a very high voltage mode or something and you have to turn it down EVERY TIME!! WTF Rob!! Hope there's no incident of explosion, but there is a chance.
Not going into FPGA ( which is basically ASIC with continuous reprogramming abilities)
As an part time audio engineer I know few things about digital filters and how to work with them during production.
But have no clues whatsoever why some manufacturers are using the term filter for something else ( it's possibly a very small compresser ratio with slow/ fast release options etc)
I'm happy for Mojo users, but it's certainly not for me, even at 250EUR ( however Chord will charge you 200 EUR to replace the battery which is guaranteed to die with 18 months, both the Mojo I had have died, the owners couldn't even establish a proper contact with Chord Audio and moved on...story of the 70,000 Mojo Rob was so happy to sell)
I really think if Chord doesn't improve their support worldwide, their sale will plummet in very near future.

Last edited:
Precisely, I don't like warm amp or headphones. But my experience with portable amp/ dac amp is very limited.
Presently I have a Topping D90/A90 stack, Drop THX789 and Woo's WA7 (tube amp).
And possibly like the 789 a tiny bit more ( A90 is also very good)
Couldn't ever remember the DAC's model number, but perfectly happy with whatever the M3 Pro has ( ? ES9218??), can use it as DAC and use a portable amp only. The tiny DAP can power Ananda and Deva just fine, but absolutely useless with the 600 ohm version of DT880.
I completely understand your frustrations with expensive DAPs. They are way overpriced and even the expensive ones like M11 ( that's the only expensive DAP I've tried in recent times) doesn't sound all that great even with genuinely nice headphones. And of course the lifespan factor.
In fact I was about to buy the limited edition M11 but thankfully was able to audition the older M11. These DAPs are probably good for IEM users only (contrary to many reviews)

Please don't get me wrong, Rob is excellent in marketing. Almost every audiophile here has a Chord Mojo and like it.
I have used 2 of them for couple of weeks ( together more than a month)
But it is VERY HEAVY for the size and I absolutely hate the marbles. And the thing gets really HOT even in colder places like where I live.
Regarding sound, it's good, but nothing spectacular or jaw dropping.
Now the weird thing..you can use it in line out mode BUT it goes into a very high voltage mode or something and you have to turn it down EVERY TIME!! WTF Rob!! Hope there's no incident of explosion, but there is a chance.
Not going into FPGA ( which is basically ASIC with continuous reprogramming abilities)
As an part time audio engineer I know few things about digital filters and how to work with them during production.
But have no clues whatsoever why some manufacturers are using the term filter for something else ( it's possibly a very small compresser ratio with slow/ fast release options etc)
I'm happy for Mojo users, but it's certainly not for me, even at 250EUR.
That's an red hot honest reply! :)

Thanks man, I'm brutally honest with audio equipments and lost all respect for brands like Audeze, VModa, Chord, Campfire Audio, Moondrop etc
Have the well deserved respect for some Chinese brands like Hifiman, Xduoo etc.

Last edited:
Chord is Apple of audio world. People of both sides love and hate it by passion. You just can’t ignore it

Mojo is pretty common though and pretty much hyped to death now. People who like ESS type sound hate it for it’s warm and fuzzy signature.

Mojo is pretty common though and pretty much hyped to death now. People who like ESS type sound hate it for it’s warm and fuzzy signature.
I liked the sound of Mojo, it did not sound warm to my ears. I have heard much worse DAC amp ( non portable) and Mojo is possibly the best portable DAC amp that I've heard.
Would have bought it if I had to commute everyday and it looked little more normal with normal switches and dials.
Ordered a he400 se from amazon and they shipped me a Sundara. 28k pair for 12k LOL.

Unfortunately this does not work well with an OTL tube amp. It needs solid state or hybrid. Now need to buy a new amp.
Enjoy man!! Even if you got the 400SE, it would need some other amp.
12k INR for a Sundara is insane..but please register it with hifiman ASAP. What does the Amazon invoice say? Sundara or 400SE?
If possible use it extensively within Amazon return window. Sundara used to have some QC issues, but they tend to develop pretty early.
If it's your first planar, please follow the usual care instructions ( earcups not to pressed over the ears, use a hard case- difficult to find, get the official hifiman case if available, it's pretty good)

Last edited:
I liked the sound of Mojo, it did not sound warm to my ears. I have heard much worse DAC amp ( non portable) and Mojo is possibly the best portable DAC amp that I've heard.
Would have bought it if I had to commute everyday and it looked little more normal with normal switches and dials.
Mojo is hype machine, QP2R is better than Mojo in terms of pure detail and neutralness. It does hiss with my Andro though but I am saving it for my headphone purchase probably next year. For Andro I am thinking of pairing it with upcoming Fiio UTWS5 and making it a complete TWS solution.

Last edited:
Back