Audio Audiophile and gears

what type of amp do i need with hd650? what are my options ? i want something cheap and clean
What type of device are you looking for? Desktop, somewhat portable or really portable which is easy to carry. Also what is your budget? Will you be upgrading the cable to a balanced one, which will enable you to drive them with more power using balanced outputs of an amp.

Guys what are your thoughts on using F&D T60X as a home theater system or would bookshelf speakers like Edifier R1855DB be better as a HT?

What type of device are you looking for? Desktop, somewhat portable or really portable which is easy to carry. Also what is your budget? Will you be upgrading the cable to a balanced one, which will enable you to drive them with more power using balanced outputs of an amp

Use mostly with desktop pc.
I want something cheap/value for money, which can provide clean power. You can say budget is 10k. IDC balanced/unbalanced

Use mostly with desktop pc.
I want something cheap/value for money, which can provide clean power. You can say budget is 10k. IDC balanced/unbalanced
I'll let other chime in as they are more experienced in desktop setups. From this very thread, I heard good things about XDuoo XD-05 basic which is 13k (close to your budget). Try and ask for a discount from Hifinage.com which is run by a TE member himself, maybe he will comply.

Edit - Good thing about this amp is that it can be used in both desktop setup as well as portable because it also has a built-in battery.

The choice of amp depends on your preference.
As Nitendra said, you probably don't need a DAC if your desktop has a decent one.
To my ears HD6XX sounds somewhat dark and my main desktop amps ( THX789, A90) are considered linear (though fine with me, some find the 789 too sharp.. possibly due to non existent humming noise even on high gain), specially the A90 ( some find it boring) And to my ears these two have nice synergy with HD6XX.
However when I use the Apollo twin interface directly for mix checks, the 6XX sounds even darker ( any many people enjoys that sound)
With Apogee Duet and Focusrite Scarlett (2nd gen) 6XX sounds perfect ( and many find it too sharp and digital)
But I often work with audio instead of just enjoying music and for work ( mixing etc.) you can't use a warm and dark sounding set up (the mixes will sound very dull and lifeless in most commercial speakers and headphones)
In the end, it's all about preference when it comes to audio consumption.
Sorry, I don't know much about desktop amps in your budget..but there must be many options from Schiit audio as they come up with new products very frequently. And of course there's Fiio.
But I will you caution you about one particular amp which is/ was very popular with HD600/650, that's the Objective 2 (O2) amp. Please audition before buying it.
It's possible that I had a faulty unit. But the one I had was really bad with no low end.
Regarding XD05 basic, it is good soundwise (7.5/10, if D90/A90 is 10/10), extremely powerful for such a transportable unit with battery ( 500 mW at 32 ohm is way too much to drive practically any headphone)
I didn't get the plus or balanced version because the power supply toggle ( between AC and battery is being removed...stupid move XDuuo) and don't need Bluetooth.
But the tonality is definitely bright and you may not like this sharp, analytical sound.
It's bulky for sure ( almost double the thickness compared to NX4S/ hip DAC/ Fiio Q3) too small as desktop amp dac too large for a portable...and perfect for my purpose. I have stuck a small DAP to it permanently and use the whole thing as a big DAP on the go and laptop amp dac for office.
I haven't tried the hip-Dac, but the NX4S sounds really good and pretty powerful too. Q3 is the weakest of them, not at all suited for real power hungry headphones. And the THX certification is just gimmick, (though it's practically noiseless) but lacks the typical characters of a proper THX amplifier

Please don't start spending right away. Try to borrow an amp from someone or use a old cd player if you have around.
First make sure if you like it.
With best possible amplification I can afford, the difference between HD598 and 650 is 10-20 percent at most. 598 crushes 650 in soundstage, and with really good amp, 598's treble can really be airy.
Compare yourself first, please don't go on a buying spree. HD650 is a very good headphone. But it's one of the most boring one. Keep your expectations realistic...please..it's not Ananda/ Arya like jaw droppers.
I don't want to be the party spoiler...again, it's definitely a good headphone, but it's a laid back chill out type of thing and for many it's the perfect endgame.
But it doesn't have any party trick that can blow your sock off. So take it easy please.
If someone is still undecided and already have HD598/599/560S, please audition it before making the purchase. With HD6XX in the market ( from drop) this discounted price is good but nothing ground breaking.
I was going through Amazon.in for headphone prices. Believe it or not...AKG K712 Pro for 18-19k is a better deal ( that's why no interest free EMI, as Amazon's margin is minimum on them...and I'm pretty sure these are Slovakia made with one one extra cable and a pouch)
Please do consider it too. I will never recommend something only from reviews. I've used all of them extensively ( except HD650...just assuming they are similar to 6xx)

Last edited:
Please don't start spending right away. Try to borrow an amp from someone or use a old cd player if you have around.
First make sure if you like it.
With best possible amplification I can afford, the difference between HD598 and 650 is 10-20 percent at most. 598 crushes 650 in soundstage, and with really good amp, 598's treble can really be airy.
Compare yourself first, please don't go on a buying spree. HD650 is a very good headphone. But it's one of the most boring one. Keep your expectations realistic...please..it's not Ananda/ Arya like jaw droppers.
About getting bored of one headphone, when you use only one headphone for a long period of time, do you get bored of it?. In my case i feel that . When i use multiple headphone or earbuds i don't get bored of any gears.
What about other members? Do you think you don't get bored of the single headphone that you love with a long period of time?, say 6 month or 1 yr.

About getting bored of one headphone, when you use only one headphone for a long period of time, do you get bored of it?. In my case i feel that . When i use multiple headphone or earbuds i don't get bored of any gears.
What about other members? Do you think you don't get bored of the single headphone that you love with a long period of time?, say 6 month or 1 yr.
I actually feel the opposite. I see all these great deals on the Deva and the K712 Pro, but then I think that I am more than happy with my current HPs, the HD650, so I stop myself from ordering any new stuff. Of course, most audiophiles are different in this regard and have a ton of options in their closet, but thankfully, I haven't let this hobby ruin my wallet yet.

Thanks for the lengthy reply @red dragon
As for me, I don't want to complicate my life like that. HD650 seems good enough for my needs and just about any amp will do that can drive these properly.

How's this Topping L30 and Aune Audio X7s

I actually feel the opposite. I see all these great deals on the Deva and the K712 Pro, but then I think that I am more than happy with my current HPs, the HD650, so I stop myself from ordering any new stuff. Of course, most audiophiles are different in this regard and have a ton of options in their closet, but thankfully, I haven't let this hobby ruin my wallet yet.
I am on the same path, why waste money when you are already satisfied with your headphones or gadgets. These deals are good but nothing like jaw dropping, K712 Pro is good for 18-19k but I have seen this item selling for 16k at Amazon just 2-3 months back.
@red dragon mate these are made in China units clearly mentioned at Amazon.
I can up my budget to 20k if that gets me something decent. Maybe I can get something used?
Like Red dragon suggested borrow some amp or devices to drive these headphones. If you have an option for audition then it's the best.

Topping L30 is good but there are other options too like schiit magni. A couple of amplifiers by S.M.S.L are now available in India. Don't know exact model smsl su9 or something, available for 22K and 26k.

I have used both AuneX1s Pro and auneX7s.
Aune X7s is class A and a bit warm sounding amplifier, it is detailed with good sound but may not be the best option with Sennheiser. It is not something extremely powerful but can easily drive your Sennheisers and other similar headphones.

Last edited:
Guys what are your thoughts on using F&D T60X as a home theater system or would bookshelf speakers like Edifier R1855DB be better as a HT?
F&D T60X is a powered speaker pair. A home theater requires pairing of fronts and surrounds through an AVR. AVR doesn't work with active speakers.So not sure how you plan on using these as HT speakers.

No mate, these are imported from China but made in Slovakia. I'm pretty sure. Even on amazon.de the country of origin is written as made in China ( in description) but in the headphones, it's written made in Slovakia.

No mate, these are imported from China but made in Slovakia. I'm pretty sure. Even on amazon.de the country of origin is written as made in China ( in description) but in the headphones, it's written made in Slovakia.
Ok, this is some good news.
I'm getting miser for now, if it drops again to something 16 or 16.5k I'll grab it.

Fiio k9pro is available for pre order at audio46 and some Australian online store.
Still waiting for Indian release.

F&D T60X is a powered speaker pair. A home theater requires pairing of fronts and surrounds through an AVR. AVR doesn't work with active speakers.So not sure how you plan on using these as HT speakers.
Not connecting them through an AVR. Was asking which would be better as a standalone system for TV: tower speakers such as F&D T60X or bookshelf speakers such as Edifier R1855DB?

Topping L30 must sound good, all Topping's desktop amps tend to sound very similar. But there were some reports about L30 getting damaged and damaging the headphones with them.
Possibly Topping has made necessary changes considering how popular ( and good sounding) they have become. But please be cautious.
Fiio K5 Pro can be another option, many people like it a lot. However everything is so expensive at headphonezone!!
Ok, this is some good news.
I'm getting miser for now, if it drops again to something 16 or 16.5k I'll grab it.

Fiio k9pro is available for pre order at audio46 and some Australian online store.
Still waiting for Indian release.
Oh boy!! I was trying to avoid all news about the K9 series ( specially the Pro and limited edition) now I am curious again...was giving gyan to others about practicing patience!!
rdst_1 is the one who is blessed.

Last edited:
Back