iOS Battery health 99% after factory reset.

Ramadhir Singh

Wasseypur
Adept
a little background, - so i have used the new phone (iPhone SE 2020) for about 3 days then I realize it wasn't suiting me. wanted to sell it so i did a factory reset and packed it like new in the box.
For some other reason, i decided to keep the phone for some more time and open the box again after 10 days. and I observed now it showing batter health 99%. I have probably charged the phone total 3 time till date.
I visited imagine store, but they saying it normal and nothing to worry.
( iPhone service suks in India these days, i remember in past they replaced my 7 plus, twice without even asking any question, now they act like a$$ho*es)

I have iPhone 11 and 12 in the family ( purchased almost in the first batch of India availability) still has 100% battery.

I wondering what could be wrong in this case, why 1% health loss in 3-4 days use.
Is it could be software issue ? can this be fixed by clean install (ipsw) ?
Can anyone please shed some light in this.
Thanks in advance.

a little background, - so i have used the new phone (iPhone SE 2020) for about 3 days then I realize it wasn't suiting me. wanted to sell it so i did a factory reset and packed it like new in the box.
For some other reason, i decided to keep the phone for some more time and open the box again after 10 days. and I observed now it showing batter health 99%. I have probably charged the phone total 3 time till date.
( iPhone service suks in India these days, i remember in past they replaced my 7 plus, twice without even asking any question, now they act like a$$ho*es)

I have iPhone 11 and 12 in the family ( purchased almost in the first batch of India availability) still has 100% battery.

I wondering what could be wrong in this case, why 1% health loss in 3-4 days use.
Thanks in advance.
May be try and charge it to 100 and then factory reset it.
I know my 7 slipped from 100 to 94 within 3 months of purchase.

BTW wondering how you are able to maintain those other iphone at 100 even now [emoji848]

May be try and charge it to 100 and then factory reset it.
I know my 7 slipped from 100 to 94 within 3 months of purchase.

BTW wondering how you are able to maintain those other iphone at 100 even now [emoji848]
thanks for the suggestion. Will try that this weekend.

We are digital detoxed family. we rarely use any social media/YouTube etc in our phones. ( except WhatsApp - which is in the verge of uninstall, no other FB related apps installed, same with google product)
In screen time daily average use is below 40minute :) , when in home we keep mobile data turned off, 11pm wifi off till morning 6am.

for example of this SE below is the screen time of today, I am charging it every 2.5-3 days.

IMG_20210112_152043-t.jpg

12 battery status, this was purchased in October itself.
IMG_20210112_154149rez.jpg

edit: small size image attached.

Last edited:

Thanks in advance.
Its not health loss
Every device will come with a battery that will have a nominal spec - say 60000mAH
The actual battery in the unit may have anywhere between 60K +/- 5%

Even that % will actually go up after the first few cycles - so if you keep using your phone, it will (very likely) creep up to 100% - although this is what you would see on a 3rd party app like coconut battery - The OS will continue to use the lowest reported value...
The battery detrioration starts after 500 or so cycles
My ipX is at 800+ cycles and 85%

No manufacturer will replace device for a few % points difference on the battery

Last edited:
Its not health loss
Every device will come with a battery that will have a nominal spec - say 60000mAH
The actual battery in the unit may have anywhere between 60K +/- 5%

Even that % will actually go up after the first few cycles - so if you keep using your phone, it will (very likely) creep up to 100% - although this is what you would see on a 3rd party app like coconut battery - The OS will continue to use the lowest reported value...
The battery detrioration starts after 500 or so cycles
My ipX is at 800+ cycles and 85%

No manufacturer will replace device for a few % points difference on the battery

How did you check the cycles? Using a mac? I have used iMazing on windows machine and can see cycles but not sure if it is trust worthy. I have heard about app called coconut battery for macs but since I don't have a macbook yet in hand, never tried.

How did you check the cycles? Using a mac? I have used iMazing on windows machine and can see cycles but not sure if it is trust worthy. I have heard about app called coconut battery for macs but since I don't have a macbook yet in hand, never tried.
Coconut Battery is what I use.. shows the battery health, and cycle count for all iOS devices

Thanks in advance.
The reason could be the time lapsed since date of manufacture of the battery or phone. If the date of manufacture is couple of months old, aging of the battery will take away that 1% immediately In the first few charge cycles. I had the same issue in iPhone 11, I bought March 2020 manufactured phone in July 2020 and within 30 days I lost 1% battery health. But it didn’t affect the screen on time or the standby.

That is really strange & unexpected. My year old XR stayed at 100% capacity for more than a year before dropping to 99% last month. Granted I am not a heavy user, still capacity drop shouldn't occur for at least the first 3-6 months. Maybe try getting in touch with Apple support online & see if it is of any help, although more than likely they will just tell you to ignore it.

That is really strange & unexpected. My year old XR stayed at 100% capacity for more than a year before dropping to 99% last month. Granted I am not a heavy user, still capacity drop shouldn't occur for at least the first 3-6 months. Maybe try getting in touch with Apple support online & see if it is of any help, although more than likely they will just tell you to ignore it.
There is a hidden agenda behind of the battery health. The battery health is just not accurate. My brother has a SE 1st gen with 990 charge cycles. charge cycle count was around 650 at the end of 2nd year and still battery health showed 87%. phone showed battery health as 83% after 3 years and when we inquired with ASC for a paid battery replacement, we came to know that, under warranty or under apple care plus plans, battery replacement will be provided only if the battery health is below 80% before end of 2nd year.

so if the phone shows battery health as more than 80% in 2years, you can’t get it replaced with apple care plan if you have opted for one and apple intentionally shows higher battery health for 1st and 2nd year to reduce claims for battery replacement.

It is alright. on my brother's 11 it got to 96% within 3 months or so, that too with light usage. With coconut battery it was still showing 100% though.

Apple mentions that even a new phone can end up with less than 100% battery health, so it doesn't matter.

I used to have the battery health on my iPhone 7 change by 3% between reboots, so it is quite inaccurate.
There is a hidden agenda behind of the battery health. The battery health is just not accurate. My brother has a SE 1st gen with 990 charge cycles. charge cycle count was around 650 at the end of 2nd year and still battery health showed 87%. phone showed battery health as 83% after 3 years and when we inquired with ASC for a paid battery replacement, we came to know that, under warranty or under apple care plus plans, battery replacement will be provided only if the battery health is below 80% before end of 2nd year.

so if the phone shows battery health as more than 80% in 2years, you can’t get it replaced with apple care plan if you have opted for one and apple intentionally shows higher battery health for 1st and 2nd year to reduce claims for battery replacement.
To be fair, Apple also uses better quality batteries than most and the charge cycle count includes even minor connections/disconnections to the charger, so it can be misleading.

95% its going down faster.
please suggest me at which threshold i contact apple care :rolleyes:
From Apple point of view, they consider battery health less than 80% at the end of 2 years as an issue and replace battery if you have Apple care plan. there is no defined threshold 1-2 years time. it’s left to the discretion of service centre And chances are there that they will ask you pay for the battery replacement along with diagnostic charges.

From Apple point of view, they consider battery health less than 80% at the end of 2 years as an issue and replace battery if you have Apple care plan. there is no defined threshold 1-2 years time. it’s left to the discretion of service centre And chances are there that they will ask you pay for the battery replacement along with diagnostic charges.
thanks for the update.. yes apple care was amazing few years back.. now its mostly indianized.
So i'm not doing anything, lets see if in another 6-8 month its drops below 85% then i would contact them... i have a good understanding with my local apple guy, im sure he will help me out if/when needed.

Back