Best power supply units

Can you include more PSU like corsair tx series, Seasonic M12 series etc?
Corsair TX not included because of this : http://www.techenclave.com/communit...-v2-discontinued-models-updated-again.147547/ . I noticed the new M12 II recently, will check it out :)

The PSU i suggested are compatible with haswell
Sadly 'Haswell compatibility' is going to become another marketing tool like 80 Plus. Haswell compatibility/80 Plus should be a side benefit of a good PSU, but not vice versa. For example, Corsair are saying their VS series are likely Haswell compatible, while Seasonic say their S12II is not Haswell compatible - but you know the S12II is way better than a VS.

Corsair TX not included because of this : http://www.techenclave.com/communit...-v2-discontinued-models-updated-again.147547/ . I noticed the new M12 II recently, will check it out :)

Sadly 'Haswell compatibility' is going to become another marketing tool like 80 Plus. Haswell compatibility/80 Plus should be a side benefit of a good PSU, but not vice versa. For example, Corsair are saying their VS series are likely Haswell compatible, while Seasonic say their S12II is not Haswell compatible - but you know the S12II is way better than a VS.

1. ok. Looking forward to your views on new M12II.
I came across Corsair Tx750M. They too are built on CWT platform:(

2.Hope the other non compatible PSU work well with Haswell:)

I came across Corsair Tx750M. They too are built on CWT platform:(
CWT isn't a problem, its the platform variant and component choices that matters. I haven't checked what the TX-xxx-M series is like. I think the TX-M variants are only offered as RMA replacements. I haven't seen it being sold directly anywhere. Is it available somewhere?

2.Hope the other non compatible PSU work well with Haswell:)
Edit: cranky's post below is better.
Just to add, motherboards seem to be coming with C6/C7 power states disabled by default, so even in the worst case scenario it should be ok.

I think it's important to understand what the Haswell compatibility actually means.

It means that the power supply should be able to stay switched on when a very low current is drawn from its 12V rail. 50mA or so. This is not trivial as most power supplies switch themselves off when the load drops below a certain level as well as regulation becomes problematic at very low (and very high, but that's not important) loads.

The thing is everybody has conveniently assumed that the processor is the only thing connected to the supply's 12V line. If you have a even one fan connected, the supply has sufficient load to stay happy. The only people who really need to worry are those running rigs with one passive heatsink, one ssd and no add in cards.

As usual, this is not a significant issue for 99% of users.

I have a few genuine questions from the table:
1. I see Seasonic support is listed as negative. How bad is it and who handles their RMA ? I thought it was Tirupathi.
2. Is the price difference between S12II620 and the HX650 justified other than the higher efficiency ? One can buy M12II 850 at the same price of HX650.
3. Are the HX650 available in the local markets ? I can't find it on the sites.

P.S. - Really appreciate the Mods' effort for creating this buyers guide section and great to see others pitching in too :)

Your Q no. 2: You have quoted four different power supplies and it's a very confusing post, please clean it up.

Seasonic has three distinct platforms at this time and all three offer various thermal, efficiency, regulation and ripple performance. The KM3 (and older KM2 being phased out) offer the highest performance possible from any modern power supply unit.

You also might want to think about the Coolermaster V series (never thought I'd say this). Those are Seasonic KM3 based units as far as we can see, except with a cheaper (noisier? less durable?) fan than the Sanyo Denki that SS was using at least till KM2. The HX650 is based on the G-series supply and not KM2, and Coolermaster tends to be fairly aggressive with their pricing (that Denki fan is ~$25 in bulk, so that would be a good saving for them) so maybe there is a new bargain of the century on the horizon?

Yes, the S12/M12 series (in essence the same platform) is more cost-effective, and does not deliver the same level of performance as the G platform let alone KM, but in practice this is not an issue. The biggest issue with the M12 and S12 is their age. Technology has moved on a lot since this was introduced, then as a class-leading PSU platform, back in 2005-6. Seven years is a really, really long time in terms of PC age - though I will say that my Seasonic-built VX450s from back then are still performing flawlessly, doing 24x7 duty through all sorts of loads and line conditions and in three different cities with very different weather. I can't see myself anything other than either their own supplies or ones they build. Frankly, I've never needed support for a Seasonic supply (even on a different brand) and to my mind that's the best insurance.

Sorry, that was a typo - I meant HX650 not FX.

So the difference between S12/M12 II series and HX series is newer tech and premium platform. Although, I remember HX series being available as early as 2008-09. So isn't the HX series a bit old as well ? I don't have much advanced know-how about the PSUs, how big are the changes between older and newer platforms other than a minute efficiency improvement ? Also, could you please elaborate a bit about the difference between G, KM and S/M12II platforms (and their impact on systems from the consumer/gamer's perspective) ?

Thanks for being patient and explaining to noobs like me :)

sabby, you can't call yourself a noob anymore. Been around a while now.

HX brand is very old, but platform in the HX650 is brand new. Also HX850/750/650 are all based on different platforms. It's like the maker of the engine being different in three different models by the same car manufacturer.

Seasonic KM3 > Seasonic G > Seasonic SII/MII. Differences are mainly in the regulation stage, though the G and KM series use DC-DC conversion for their smaller power rails. Basically a massive 12V supply, feeding the 3.3 and 5V converters as well, for higher efficiency.

Frankly, from gamer and user perspective even a 400 rupee power supply may work - depending on who the user is. The question is whether you really want the best possible solution or something 'good enough' and a lot of this is dictated by budget and user perspective. If that was not the case every manufacturer would have identical products at the same price. The key is for you to choose what works for you.

IME, a higher quality platform always, and without exception, trumps a higher power solution from a cheaper platform. For users with a single graphics card like a 7950 or GT660Ti and two or three hard disks with a mildly overclocked system, I can't think of a better solution than the Seasonic 560 (KM2 or KM3). The G series is currently overpriced for what it is, though once prices stabilise it should be good value for those on a slightly tighter budget.

Efficiency, regulation and durability are all improved in the higher platforms. There are multiple benefits to all of this - lower heat emission from more efficient electronics means everything lasts longer. A capacitor will last four times as long at 45 degrees than it would at 65, and that is why so many cheap power supplies that run hot suffer from premature failure. Lower ripple on the rails means lower danger to all the connected devices, and higher clocks/more efficient running. Better regulation means the ability to deal with line and load fluctuations better. And an overall superior platform will be more tolerant to a mild overload. The S12II are no slackers in any of these departments even when you compare it to more modern platforms, for example some from CWT and FSP, even though the latter may offer better efficiency.

The question is, should any of this matter? For 99% of users, the brand or platform of the PSU will never matter. But if you are trying to buy the best possible products for your money, it helps to know if and where you are compromising.

1. I see Seasonic support is listed as negative. How bad is it and who handles their RMA ? I thought it was Tirupathi.
Yeah Tirupathi handles it. To be honest, I've heard of only one bad case. Gannu seems to have had an ok experience, and the rest of the people I know - unfortunately or fortunately - haven't used it yet.

3. Are the HX650 available in the local markets ? I can't find it on the sites.
ITDepot and hardwire.in. Most of the prices when we put the list together were from hardwire.in.

Although, I remember HX series being available as early as 2008-09. So isn't the HX series a bit old as well ?
There's an unofficial 'V2' HX model being sold now. The easiest way to identify it : the earlier model was rated for 80 plus bronze efficiency, while this one is gold rated.

Few quick recommendations @Crazy_Eddy

1. The Seasonic X-560 is missing from the list

2. You might want to add the Coolermaster V series supplies: http://www.coolermaster.in/category.php?category_id=3594

They are blue-blooded Seasonics but with a different fan to the maker's brand: http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/cooler-master-v-series-1000w-psu-review/4/ May be quieter, not sure of reliability.

The review seems to praise it quite a bit - HWS doesn't have a review up yet so till then we hope that the results match other reviews. CM is usually pretty good on pricing so if they can get this series close to the Corsair HX in price, these are better supplies for enthusiasts (even the HX650 is G platform, whereas the V700 is KM3).

Last edited by a moderator:
The KM3 (and older KM2 being phased out) offer the highest performance possible from any modern power supply unit.
Add the Platinum - the KM3 is just derived from the current gen Platinum (XP2). The Corsair 'AX-i' units are really good and probably better than anything Seasonic has now.

You also might want to think about the Coolermaster V series (never thought I'd say this).
Edit: Spotted it in any stores?

Yes, the S12/M12 series (in essence the same platform) is more cost-effective, and does not deliver the same level of performance as the G platform let alone KM, but in practice this is not an issue. The biggest issue with the M12 and S12 is their age.
Actually the older M12 520/620W models were based off the S12II. The 650W+ models are a newer lineup and are also using DC-DC converters.

Frankly, I've never needed support for a Seasonic supply (even on a different brand) and to my mind that's the best insurance.
Agreed. The best support is not needing support. Although Seasonic does tend to have slightly lax quality control, so its advisable for people to get it from Flipkart, since their 30 day replacement support will ensure any DOA/QC issues are taken care of.[DOUBLEPOST=1371748410][/DOUBLEPOST]
1. The Seasonic X-560 is missing from the list
Added :)

2. You might want to add the Coolermaster V series supplies: http://www.coolermaster.in/category.php?category_id=3594
Will wait for these to show up in stores, so can add it with pricing :)

Back