Boom Boom Diwali : Show your crackers thread :D

One amazing thread. Even i did lit crackers and i am wrong in some way but less than those ministers from BJP who were part of the Safai Abhiyaan from Mr PM. News Channels were showing the dirt all outside their houses and it was massive. Atleast i was doing it on the roof and cleaning that mess the next morning was PITA .

Well, I think it is also perfectly alright to call out and shame 0thers when its about things that affect not just themselves, but others as well. Its just like drunken driving or smoking. Most people don't give a damn about things that damage only the person doing them. Let people drink alcohol till their liver rots.. Nobody needs to give a damn about it. But as soon as they get on the road behind a wheel in their drunken state it becomes everybody's problem.

I used to know people who dreaded Diwali season. Year after year, they used to come close to their deaths for no fault of theirs.
lets just be realistic, bursting crackers is not illegal in India. I mean if you do the same in Sydney, you will pay hefty fines and get punished. but we are talking about India. And until it is legal, you just cant tell people (read shame) to stop doing it. until its legal, you can only request and not demand. thats how democracy works i think. Comparing it to drunk driving, drunk driving is illegal in India. In Hyderabad, I just heard that you will have to pay 25k as fine if you are caught drunk driving in a car.

So everyone who thinks that crackers are bad, should start campaigning to bring a legislation to make it illegal. instead of shaming people.

my two paisa.

And until it is legal, you just cant tell people (read shame) to stop doing it. until its legal, you can only request and not demand. thats how democracy works i think.

And until it is legal (read shaming), you just cant tell people to stop doing it. until its legal, you can only request and not demand. thats how democracy works i think.

I just altered the the position of the content in brackets and guess what, it still makes sense. :p

You should read your own post again and tell me why people should not be shamed. Is shaming illegal? As long as personal attacks, slander and defamation are not involved, shaming is also free speech.

Comparing it to drunk driving, drunk driving is illegal in India. In Hyderabad, I just heard that you will have to pay 25k as fine if you are caught drunk driving in a car.

So everyone who thinks that crackers are bad, should start campaigning to bring a legislation to make it illegal. instead of shaming people.

Well, there is a lot of nonsense in our countries laws and how they are made up. Common sense is not so common in our country leave alone sane reasoning which is even less common. Any attempt to ban crackers will be seen as a religious or political attack. Heck I don't want crackers to be banned, I just want it to be more controlled, but I know pretty well that people would not have it either.

Despite the fact that crackers kill several fold more people in just 2~3 days than terrorist attacks over several years, this is a culture that would sadly continue. People will continue shedding their crocodile tears for victims of terror attacks and call out Pakistan for the attacks and vent how they should be nuked, but will still continue to create several fold more victims every year in the name of a festival celebration.

Even shaming is not going to stop anyone as people in our country are too think skinned to let such stuff affect them. Its only the trivial stuff like humor (stuff that should not be taken seriously) that people take seriously.

Last edited:
lets just be realistic, bursting crackers is not illegal in India. I mean if you do the same in Sydney, you will pay hefty fines and get punished. but we are talking about India. And until it is legal, you just cant tell people (read shame) to stop doing it. until its legal, you can only request and not demand. thats how democracy works i think. Comparing it to drunk driving, drunk driving is illegal in India. In Hyderabad, I just heard that you will have to pay 25k as fine if you are caught drunk driving in a car.

my two paisa.

Even if it is legal or not legal, we Indians do not possess any civil sense. This Diwali I was at a condo tower in Gurgaon. No crackers were allowed inside the gates, people used a special designated area out side, away from the main road. It was a sort of field. Strict regulation was kept. Honestly life "outside" during festivals in India is really dangerous and hazardous to life. Holi is another example of this menace. Even during Diwali a lot of people are drunk on the streets (when Delhi is dry) and do all sorts of antics. Kids time bombs to go off near people or under cars. Why do we Indians have to make a mess and nuisance out of all aspects...? We love to play rotten and horrid jokes on each other (be they known or unknown) and get deep kicks. It is a vile and malignant nature we possess. I hate it. I hate my own brethren.

You should read your own post again and tell me why people should not be shamed. Is shaming illegal? As long as personal attacks, slander and defamation are not involved, shaming is also free speech.
except for personal satisfaction you cannot achieve anything with that. yes it is free speech but I don't think you can bring a change with that. That has been my point all along. educate not shame. and don't expect sudden change.

those who want to burst crackers will continue to do so...no one gonna change his actions due to rants of a unknown person. You can continue your crusade till kingdom come. I have been bursting crackers for the last 30 years and will continue to do so.

those who spit & throw garbage on the road will continue to do so...no one gonna change his actions due to rants of a unknown person. You can continue your crusade till kingdom come. I have been spitting & littering for the last 30 years and will continue to do so.

i also love bursting crackers in the name of a festival (despite it having no relationship. so what it's called "festival of lights" not "festival of noise").

i give a damn about babies/old people/animals (esp. stray dogs for whom its like world war 3 happening few feet away & there's no room for them to be sheltered away in). i am deaf & vow to make the whole world the same way.

i dont care if it plays havoc with the environment. i dont care about noise & air pollution which ultimately affects everyone. so what if people fall ill due to it. i dont care about the possible damage to property (public or private).

i will also not clean up after i burst my crackers & leave the rubbish there itself.

talking about stopping these things is stupid. if you dont drive a hybrid you have no right to critcise others for not avoiding things that can worsen an already bad situation even though they can be easily replaced by more meaningful/less damaging alternatives.

lets just be realistic, bursting crackers is not illegal in India. I mean if you do the same in Sydney, you will pay hefty fines and get punished. but we are talking about India. And until it is legal, you just cant tell people (read shame) to stop doing it. until its legal, you can only request and not demand. thats how democracy works i think.
so nice. now I feel good about littering, spitting gutkha and peeing publicly

:p

those who spit & throw garbage on the road will continue to do so...no one gonna change his actions due to rants of a unknown person. You can continue your crusade till kingdom come. I have been spitting & littering for the last 30 years and will continue to do so.

i also love bursting crackers in the name of a festival (despite it having no relationship. so what it's called "festival of lights" not "festival of noise").

i give a damn about babies/old people/animals (esp. stray dogs for whom its like world war 3 happening few feet away & there's no room for them to be sheltered away in). i am deaf & vow to make the whole world the same way.

i dont care if it plays havoc with the environment. i dont care about noise & air pollution which ultimately affects everyone. so what if people fall ill due to it. i dont care about the possible damage to property (public or private).

i will also not clean up after i burst my crackers & leave the rubbish there itself.

talking about stopping these things is stupid. if you dont drive a hybrid you have no right to critcise others for not avoiding things that can worsen an already bad situation even though they can be easily replaced by more meaningful/less damaging alternatives.
wohhh cool down bro, gather your thoughts and then write something meaningful, your whole statement contradicts itself.

if you dont like crackers you dont, i like crackers and have been bursting them with my dad as long as i can remember. For me its a personal choice. i dont know you personally to criticize you and i believe neither do you know much about me so stop these rants. this thread was not created for you to list out your personal issues.

main-qimg-e1cd35e6093635933cdea133baad5259

The "100 Flowers"

main-qimg-90aa0a4e073ecbec0da782c2ee5bb398

A worker covered by magnesium film

main-qimg-28143eac36307dc3441f97265b7256db

The site of a "industrial accident"

main-qimg-b311193b215b592b7929d711c4942a3c

A victim who succumbed to burn wounds

The primary issue is not "crackers" vs "flower pots". Its not about "child labor" vs "adult labor". Its not about the low pay or pollution either. Its about inhuman working conditions, death and suffering of the workers.

Anything bought from the firecracker industry is equivalent of funding them for the next year and continuing the inhuman conditions of firecracker manufacturing. Every year new unlicensed factories are cropping up, and the monopoly of the region continues due to exploitation of people in the region. Here are a few facts:
  • Most children are afraid of crackers, loud noises and close range pyrotechnics. We acclimatise them to the fire works at a very young age. It is just mental conditioning that bursting crackers is fun.
  • Firecrackers are outlawed in most countries of the world
  • We did not burst crackers before 1940. It is a new phenomenon promoted by capitalism.
  • The economy of Sivakasi can be sustained without firecrackers. They have moved on to printing and other means.
  • The crackers screw up the environment in terms of - air pollution, acid rain, plastic generation and dye from leeching to water sources.
  • Child education ratios and long term life expectancy of the people there are low

How exactly will you justify the 10 seconds of joy and irresponsible redemption for a year of suffering by these people and the environment?

source : http://www.quora.com/Should-we-say-no-to-Diwali-firecrackers-Why-or-why-not

ps: Read the other answers too.

those who spit
damaging alternatives.

You are not unique. Most of us Indians think like this. So what you wrote here, brings nothing new to the table; just a regurgitation of our basic nature and psyche. Like saying, the Sun will shine tomorrow...! Try not to be non-novel.

I had read a very interesting article somewhere that everyone is a hypocrite. We just pretend not to be. Those who are against crackers due to plight of workers/victims , do you not eat non veg or shoo off the beggar or insult the waiter/delivery guy etc? If yes, then you have contributed to a lot of cruelty on this earth and you have no right to judge others. Or if you judge, remember that you are a hypocrite.

I had read a very interesting article somewhere that everyone is a hypocrite. We just pretend not to be. Those who are against crackers due to plight of workers/victims , do you not eat non veg or shoo off the beggar or insult the waiter/delivery guy etc? If yes, then you have contributed to a lot of cruelty on this earth and you have no right to judge others. Or if you judge, remember that you are a hypocrite.

Nope. Nope. And nope.

I haven't burst crackers for about 10+ years now. Somehow it just stopped being fun.

Heard from my folks that this year was particularly good (minimal crackers) - I guess kids lighting those small flower pots etc should be the limit. No rockets or those green atom/hydrogen bomb things. Those things have ruined many a peaceful Diwali nights:rage:

Back