Audio Brainwavz M3 is here!

Ohk haven't got my pair yet (on their way ) but here are my initial impressions after trying Brendon's M3 for 15-20 mins .Hope its useful for someone who is thinking of ordering it via the pre-order.

I tried it for hardly 20 mins . Can't be very descriptive .But here are the initial impressions which can change slightly in future :p

Bass : M3s bass is less than M2. M2 reminds me more of TF10s heavy club like awesome bass but without the deep sub bass which is there in TF10.M3s bass is more tighter , slightly less in quantity and more punch then impack . No mid bass like M2 at all .So the mids are more clear than M2.

Midrange : Not warm sounding like that of M2. Slight..very slight darkish tone to the mids but enjoyable and natural.

Treble : Again slightly less bright than M2s but has more micro detailing like the RE-0 (not as good as RE-0 ) . Didnt notice any sibilance .

Soundstage : Had the RE-1 around for comparison so ofcourse the soundstage didn't seem to be ohh so great but definitely better than the narrow congested soundstage of M2 . Overall above average but nothing out of the world.

Theres an issue with the imaging ..The overall sound is so clean ,clear and if you've noticed nothing(bass/mids/treble) is emphasized .So you don't really have anything that you can concentrate on . Not as enjoyable / musical as M2 but more detailed , clear and balanced/natural sounding :D

Its more detailed and cleaner sounding than M2 but I feel I would still prefer M2 more than the M3 for my electronica\trance listening .Other wise for vocals ,classical etc M3 ..

FaH33m said:
Ohk haven't got my pair yet (on their way ) but here are my initial impressions after trying Brendon's M3 for 15-20 mins .Hope its useful for someone who is thinking of ordering it via the pre-order.

I tried it for hardly 20 mins . Can't be very descriptive .But here are the initial impressions which can change slightly in future :p

Bass : M3s bass is less than M2. M2 reminds me more of TF10s heavy club like awesome bass but without the deep sub bass which is there in TF10.M3s bass is more tighter , slightly less in quantity and more punch then impack . No mid bass like M2 at all .So the mids are more clear than M2.

Midrange : Not warm sounding like that of M2. Slight..very slight darkish tone to the mids but enjoyable and natural.

Treble : Again slightly less bright than M2s but has more micro detailing like the RE-0 (not as good as RE-0 ) . Didnt notice any sibilance .

Soundstage : Had the RE-1 around for comparison so ofcourse the soundstage didn't seem to be ohh so great but definitely better than the narrow congested soundstage of M2 . Overall above average but nothing out of the world.

Theres an issue with the imaging ..The overall sound is so clean ,clear and if you've noticed nothing(bass/mids/treble) is emphasized .So you don't really have anything that you can concentrate on . Not as enjoyable / musical as M2 but more detailed , clear and balanced/natural sounding :D

Its more detailed and cleaner sounding than M2 but I feel I would still prefer M2 more than the M3 for my electronica\trance listening .Other wise for vocals ,classical etc M3 ..
So what would be the best IEMs for Alternative and rock genres of music sub-3.5k? Bands I listen to most - Coldplay, Poets of the Fall, Pink Floyd etc.

M3? M2? Or something else?

IEMs I have previously owned - EP630, RE2+E5,PL11,NE6

EDIT : I like deep extending bass and not the boomy/muddy kind of bass

FaH33m said:

great.. your impressions will help many decide betwwn m2/m3

really was not expecting this after them being compared to IE8!

Deciding between M2 and M3 is not very difficult . It all comes down to bass preferences . Rest all categories M3 is much better than M2 .I hope I haven't sent any wrong ideas about its sound because its definitely deserves to be priced at ~80-90$. Right there with RE-0 level . It infact benefits from amping as well :p

Here's a reply I just sent to Mephistopheles as even he is confused between M2 and M3.

So what would be the best IEMs for Alternative and rock genres of music sub-3.5k? Bands I listen to most - Coldplay, Poets of the Fall, Pink Floyd etc.

M3? M2? Or something else?

IEMs I have previously owned - EP630, RE2+E5,PL11,NE6

EDIT : I like deep extending bass and not the boomy/muddy kind of bass

If you were happy with the RE-2 + E5 bass , M3 will be perfect for you.

If you want something on the lines of NE6 bass with more authority in bass and better mids + treble then get the M2.

Other than that M3 definitely has better midrange and soundstage than M2. :) Even the bass is actually better and more refined IMO . Its just that I am not sure if quantity will be enough for bassheads.

Hope this gives you guys a more clear idea. M2 are more fun and musical whereas M3 take it to a more serious level of detailing and balanced sound .

Also my impressions are based on just 15-20 mins of listening to please take it with a handful of sand and bug BF1983 to post his impressions as he is in a better position to describe the sound :p

are you got me wron ...i said i was not expectin m3's bass to be less than m2 because of them being compared to IE8 ( IE 8 = bass and soiundstage in my book_)

Faheem or Brendon,

None of the things - sound stage, bass quantity are a great dampener for me. It seems like a very balanced IEM to me. How are the micro details? Does it sound analytical or just balanced?

^^ Faheem can answer that as I have never used an analytical IEM like the RE0 for any length but I will have to say no they are not analytical at all. They have very good detail retrieval but IMO not as good as the Re0s.

@Faheem - Nice impressions dude! Your impressions more or less mirrors mine after almost 3 hours of listening.

However I feel the bass is better than the M2s as IMO the M3s have more sub bass. It can reach 20 hz at normal listening volumes. Something my HD650 cannot do. :(

Btw, I liked your M1s even more than the M2s. :p

Probably because the bass was more tight. I did not like how the M2s bass intruded into the midrange and muddied things up a bit.

^That's great. I got M1 as I thought M2's more bass might intrude into the midrange, which I hate. My taste seems a bit similar to you sometimes. Would keep a tab on what you buy and like. :p
And I must say I like M1's midrange, just a bit more emphasis on upper mids would have been great, still it's a real good IEM. I have almost stopped using RE2 now. :)

^^ M1 is somewhat similar (tight bass, nice mids, smooth inoffensive treble), though the M3 is in league higher in bass, soundstage and detailing.

@harakiri - You made a good choice. As much as I liked the M2, the bleeding of the bass and midrange made me feel like cringing in some songs. No such issues with the M3 though. :)

Now you want to buy M3 too? :p

Could you compare female vocals on M1 and M3 and let us know? If M3 is noticeably better, I might go with it! :)

Hmmm .. Brendon you are right the M2s bass doesnt go as low as M3s nor is as tight .It has more mid bass but I dont find it to affect to make the mids muddy . Maybe its because of the kind of music I listen to .With vocals etc you do at times feel there is unwanted bass .But I sitll love the amazing heavy as well as tight bass of M2 .Also I feel the M2 has better lower mids compared to M1 or M3. Needless to say right now between M1,M2 and M3 - M2 is my favourite .M1 does have more tighter bass and clear midrange than M2 but it jut doesn't as as refined . I keep feeling as if something is missing in the treble. Its most probably the slight sparkle in treble and warm mids of M2.

M2 kind of gives me a sense of what I would want from my perfect top tier IEM .A slightly less (very slight) bass than M2 and more tighter bass along with deep sub bass .A little warm or upfront midrange.Something like the RE-1s and treble like the TF10s or RE-0 . Ofcourse a nice wide and 3D soundstage like the RE-1. That makes my perfect IEM . Only thing I can think of is a quad driver (extra mids) TF10 or maybe a JH13/16 :( .

FaH33m said:
A slightly less (very slight) bass than M2 and more tighter bass along with deep sub bass .A little warm or upfront midrange.Something like the RE-1s and treble like the TF10s or RE-0 . Ofcourse a nice wide and 3D soundstage like the RE-1. That makes my perfect IEM . Only thing I can think of is a quad driver (extra mids) TF10 or maybe a JH13/16 :( .
Faheem, if you find such an IEM, let me know, I too would buy it. :p

Back