Brainwavz M4 available at 60% off for $28 (Standard Price is $69.50)

Missing M4 will remain missing for life

This has been a bad year as far as my 'scam cost' is concerned.

A couple of months ago, a head-fier who had good trader ratings at that time sold me a LOD worth $60. Subsequently, he got banned at every place - eBay, Paypal and Head-fi. At least there, I can accept that there was fault at my end for waiting too long and forgetting to open a complaint with Paypal within the 45 day period (was one day late).

This time, I opened a ticket with MP4Nation as soon as I could snap pictures with my mobile. On Monday, I got a reply stating

Hi

I am sorry that they arrived like that, it looks like you're a victim of postal theft. You will need to file a formal complaint with the post office, get a letter from the post office acknowleding the parcel arrived in the state you have described. You can then scan those documents to us and we will then send a replacement.

We will need a official document from the post office before we can send a replacement.

Thanks

I complained at the local post office showing them the package and explaining things. Actually, it did not need much explaining as the people at the post office and the postman know fully well that I receive International parcels regularly and I would not be there unless there was some complaint. I was told that theft at customs or RMS could have been the issue, but there is no way to trace it back. I was also told to contact the head post office to register a complaint.

Things are not hopeful. They explained that things used to be bad with RMS (i.e., theft) about 7-8 years ago, but it is no longer the case and simply nobody can question customs people. The CS person was actually more polite and patient in explaining things.

Here's how the investigation will go

• The local post office will just forward the complaint. The postman usually would say that when he delivered, the parcel was in good, packed condition - which is unfortunately true in this case.
  • The HPO would take my letter and the statement I have recorded (like a Police station complaint) in presence of an officer in HPO to RMS.
  • The parcel was sent from Singapore declared as "Audio Accessory" valued at $25 and weight was mentioned as 0.000 KG, which does not help the case at all. This helps the Postal department say that the item could have been missing at origin point itself. The EZYParcels site showed 6.6gms or so, which may or may not be taken into account.
  • In RMS, every parcel, by rule, must be weighed. But in reality, 5 random parcels out of a bulk of thousands get verified. If it shows a discrepancy, it will be recorded. Thus my only chance is if I am extremely lucky and
    1. My parcel was chosen to be weighed that day
    2. The weight recorded at FPO / SingPost and RMS differs
  • The whole enquiry process will take about 20 days.
  • At the end of it, UNLESS they get a positive reply as described above from RMS, the answer will be "we delivered a packed parcel"
  • According to the department, I should not have accepted the parcel at all. I should have done what is called "open delivery". That is - I should open the parcel in front of the local post office Post master along with two witnesses. Even if I go outside of the post office, open the parcel and report something is missing, the complaint will be handled in the same manner as described above. I also asked if EMS parcels are handled any differently. But they said that apart from the speed of delivery, EMS and RL packages are handled the same way as far as stolen / pilfered contents go.

In short...

• So, MP4Nation has no way of knowing whether I am telling the truth. They are right in requesting a letter from the Postal department.
  • Postal department will cover it's ass any which way it can
  • If an article is pilfered in transit, you are screwed unless you take open delivery and the article is insured
  • You cannot question Customs ... EVER!!
  • After my small loss and strategy's experience with customs, I have lost my confidence in ordering or receiving loaners from abroad. There goes all the loaners I have been dreaming about for a year :(

The only way to ensure that they record theft is by

a) Visiting Post Office to receive the parcel
b) Opening it in front of the post master and two witnesses
c) Verify and refuse to accept if the contents are not in place / damaged

All other cases are generally handled the way I have described. If the package is in good condition when delivered i.e., not opened or damaged, then they can they can always say that it is your fault or the Sender's fault - that's the general vibe I got from the CS person. I don't think any of us can afford to do "open delivery" every time a parcel arrives. It's just not practical. We can only complain as soon as possible.

In my case, it is clear that it was tampered. One end of the package was cellophane taped. The other was brown taped. But then, I have received parcels in damaged condition / almost open condition with all contents intact. So, I did not suspect anything up front.

Does anybody have any Customer Care number where i can call and check the status of my shipment... I stay in mumbai and there has been no progress after 14th

track.jpg

Whom should i contact now? Mumbai Foreign Post Office or Local Post Office... I am feeling a bit worried after reading esantosh's post :(

@Hades.

Do not worry. I'd think mine would remain an isolated case :)

To the unknown person who is enjoying my M4 with maniacal laughter

I curse thee.
Bass be muddy, Imaging be shoddy
Mids be veiled, sibilance run wild
Treble be so hot that your ears feel like shot
Let wax fill your ears, hope cleaning take years
You won't be singing when your ears go ringing
You may be in customs, but you'll forever be in cushtom :annoyed:

Last edited by a moderator:
Today i tried to replace the silicone tips with the comply ones and the mesh on the housing peeled off like a used band-aid and is just hanging on it's edge now.
Also one of the pairs of tips looks like it's been fed to a mouse. Experienced shoddy Chinese workmanship and quality control all in one day. Thought i'd use fevikwik to try fixing it but i didn't want to risk sealing the mesh entirely so i'm using it with the smaller pair of tips which is holding it in place somehow.
Glad i got this at 1600 and yes the cable feels a li'l flimsy unlike the M2's and i have the one without the mic.

A couple of months ago, a head-fier who had good trader ratings at that time sold me a LOD worth $60. Subsequently, he got banned at every place - eBay, Paypal and Head-fi. At least there, I can accept that there was fault at my end for waiting too long and forgetting to open a complaint with Paypal within the 45 day period (was one day late).

This time, I opened a ticket with MP4Nation as soon as I could snap pictures with my mobile. On Monday, I got a reply stating

I complained at the local post office showing them the package and explaining things. Actually, it did not need much explaining as the people at the post office and the postman know fully well that I receive International parcels regularly and I would not be there unless there was some complaint. I was told that theft at customs or RMS could have been the issue, but there is no way to trace it back. I was also told to contact the head post office to register a complaint.

Things are not hopeful. They explained that things used to be bad with RMS (i.e., theft) about 7-8 years ago, but it is no longer the case and simply nobody can question customs people. The CS person was actually more polite and patient in explaining things.

• The local post office will just forward the complaint. The postman usually would say that when he delivered, the parcel was in good, packed condition - which is unfortunately true in this case.
  • The HPO would take my letter and the statement I have recorded (like a Police station complaint) in presence of an officer in HPO to RMS.
  • The parcel was sent from Singapore declared as "Audio Accessory" valued at $25 and weight was mentioned as 0.000 KG, which does not help the case at all. This helps the Postal department say that the item could have been missing at origin point itself. The EZYParcels site showed 6.6gms or so, which may or may not be taken into account.
  • In RMS, every parcel, by rule, must be weighed. But in reality, 5 random parcels out of a bulk of thousands get verified. If it shows a discrepancy, it will be recorded. Thus my only chance is if I am extremely lucky and
  • At the end of it, UNLESS they get a positive reply as described above from RMS, the answer will be "we delivered a packed parcel"
  • According to the department, I should not have accepted the parcel at all. I should have done what is called "open delivery". That is - I should open the parcel in front of the local post office Post master along with two witnesses. Even if I go outside of the post office, open the parcel and report something is missing, the complaint will be handled in the same manner as described above. I also asked if EMS parcels are handled any differently. But they said that apart from the speed of delivery, EMS and RL packages are handled the same way as far as stolen / pilfered contents go.

In short...

• So, MP4Nation has no way of knowing whether I am telling the truth. They are right in requesting a letter from the Postal department.
  • If an article is pilfered in transit, you are screwed unless you take open delivery and the article is insured
  • After my small loss and strategy's experience with customs, I have lost my confidence in ordering or receiving loaners from abroad. There goes all the loaners I have been dreaming about for a year :(

This is pathetic customer service from all involved. Everyone is passing the buck and trying to save their ass; and in the end the customer gets screwed over.

Who in their sane minds would have known that a package is pilfered and hence needs to be opened in front of witnesses; and that too, at the post office ?? :1ign22:

In a way, you are lucky because this was a cheap item (relatively speaking). I shudder to think about what it would be like if this happens with something expensive.

I guess the only 'safe' option is to use reliable couriers like UPS or FedEx.

I am tired of waiting for my M4, no progress since the 14th.
I want to go on a vacation, so I wanted to know what will happen when the postman arrives at my house and finds it locked even after 2 trips.
I think usually the postman dont hand over parcels, registered mails to neighbors.
Will it be safe if I contact the postoffice around 15th July?

Now this is weird even mine is stuck in sub foreign post - Bangalore since 14th June :(.
I am worried too. I am planning to visit the postal, it's near MG Road. Any bangalore people wish to join?.

In short...

may be it sounds unethical...but...you can give a try...

go to photo shop and write you own complaint with complaint number and use Indian post logo...no body is going to cross verify it...
one of my colleague did this kind of stuff and he succeeded in getting his things back...(in our case it was not M2's but branded MP3 player...i forgot it may be COWON branded)...

good luck..

Now this is weird even mine is stuck in sub foreign post - Bangalore since 14th June :(.
I am worried too. I am planning to visit the postal, it's near MG Road. Any bangalore people wish to join?.

Hi Dude!!!
Even I'm worried, Just PM me when you are visiting. Will try to join you.
I think even somemore bangalore brothers can join us....

I was thinking of saturday. But need to know about the working hours, since saturday might be a half day. It's located on museum road. Let me know who would like to pitch in. We can meet at a common place and head together. PM me.

I have been to the local post office today... and met my area's postman... he told me that I would have to visit Foreign Post Office which is located in fort as the consignment is stuck over there.. I asked him that whether it has arrived or not in this office said no... I even opened the ips web tracking page and showed him the status and told him that i should have got the shipment by now as the status is showing "Send item to domestic location" ... He noted down my address and contact number and told me that when it would arrive he would call me up and out of curiosity he asked me that what is there in the package told him earphones in a manner that he should find it cheap and he shouldn't change his mind and steal em'... Told this keeping in mind what happened with esanthosh...

I was thinking of saturday. But need to know about the working hours, since saturday might be a half day. It's located on museum road. Let me know who would like to pitch in. We can meet at a common place and head together. PM me.

i cant go before 25th , if you guys will go check for my parcel also .. Thanks
if u want i can surely go on 25th (after 1pm) :) or any other day or time :)

i cant go before 25th , if you guys will go check for my parcel also .. Thanks
if u want i can surely go on 25th (after 1pm) :) or any other day or time :)
I don't think somebody else can collect your parcel. Well atleast we can inquire about your consignment too. Let us know the tracking no and your shipping address.

List of members pooled for Saturday visit. We'll leave at 10:00 am
@WingZero @xtremevicky

Last edited by a moderator:
Back