Browser Review

Been using Firefox from a long time, probably since a decade I guess. I remember when Quantum was introduced lol.

I use Firefox on my android phone (Switched from UC Browser lite as soon as I realised FF had add-on support, hello ad free internet) as well as all my systems EXCEPT for my windows tablet (Dell Venue 10 Pro). Edge runs much more smoothly on the tablet. Safari looks pretty but I've gotten used to FF.

I started using edge on my phone and laptops one month back. On laptop I only faced issue while playing a video on a particular website. The video won't load after clicking on play button.

On android, I found that edge is slower than chrome, at least on some of the websites if not on all.
Are there any other browsers which are equal or better than chrome on Android?

Firefox user from most initial Mozilla beta days, used to install it on all the desktops I touch.
All though off late getting disillusioned because of some of their antics, still using FF with addons for privacy.

Tor Browser too.

MS Edge is coming up very good but for basic use.

Those who use Firefox how do you guys get around the fudgy font issue, or the slow upload speed to GDrive? I have enquired in all the places I know but there has never been a constructive response!

Firefox is almost at the verge of death, I despise Chrome but looks like one of its variants would be the only choice left. Wish Mozilla had better funding / monetization strategy.
Testing Brave, the crypto integration is a slippery slope.
With Edge, my concern is the amount of Telemetry MS can potentially access, their OS + Browser is as good as having a camera installed.

After each update, Firefox is forcing me to restart the browser. Otherwise it will not load anything in new tab. What an incredibly annoying behaviour.

After each update, Firefox is forcing me to restart the browser. Otherwise it will not load anything in new tab. What an incredibly annoying behaviour.
That's normal for each and every app out there. How are they gonna incorporate new feature without restating browser.

You need to stop auto update feature.

That's normal for each and every app out there. How are they gonna incorporate new feature without restating browser.

You need to stop auto update feature.
Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Chrome doesn't do that. It updates itself without forcing me to restart it.

Curious to know what's the trend of Browsers usage now.

I started with Firefox and switched to Chrome due to speed and almost feels less laggy.
Switched to Edge (Chromium based) due to privacy issues with Google.

Feels like best of both worlds.

Is there any mobile browser, which doesn't auto-update the page if its inactive for some time.
for ex - am watching a youtube video in browser, i watched half, shifted to other app for some time and come back to browser only to see the page gets refreshed and i am at beginning of the video now. If I can avoid this, I can continue from the point I left.

Both chrome and brave does auto refresh. Any pointers about how to avoid it ? or any other browser reco ?

Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know Chrome doesn't do that. It updates itself without forcing me to restart it.
Chrome also restarts, you can check like this -
you click on update of chrome and keep the chrome page open. When installation starts, Chrome shuts itself and installs in the background

Is there any mobile browser, which doesn't auto-update the page if its inactive for some time.
for ex - am watching a youtube video in browser, i watched half, shifted to other app for some time and come back to browser only to see the page gets refreshed and i am at beginning of the video now. If I can avoid this, I can continue from the point I left.

Both chrome and brave does auto refresh. Any pointers about how to avoid it ? or any other browser reco ?
Another method you can create a ID & pwd for youtube. login into youtube to watch videos. If you leave in between a video & if the browser refreshes you can resume the video from library or watched videos tab in youtube.

Another method you can create a ID & pwd for youtube. login into youtube to watch videos. If you leave in between a video & if the browser refreshes you can resume the video from library or watched videos tab in youtube.
Yeeah, so, thats another gmail id right, and if the browser refreshes and video starts from beginning, wont my history also gets updated to start of video ? anyways, i disable watched history, so, have to find another way to do this.

I was avoiding Brave due to my "google_chrome_bad" perception, but finally installed brave last week for a "test drive". .

After my mandatory addon installed and my security and privacy tweaks.
1. uBlock origin with default easylist, easy-privacy, two additional list installed https://github.com/saffronlist/saffronlist , https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts .
2. Local CDN / Privcy badger installed and configure to complement uBlock origin with L2 level of security
3. I have disabled the build in tracking and adblocker for first 5-6 days so that privacy badger can learn and make its database, i later switched it to minimum level and its complementing with uBO & pb.
4. Merged all the whitelisted sites and rules in uBO.

After a week use - I feel Brave is much much batter compared to Firefox. Fonts rendering is much better and overall considerably faster as well.
I also like private mode with tor - something new i seen after Operas build in VPN.
Only little thing i'm missing is - about:config and UI customisation which firefox offer.

Best thing - I don't have to bother manually maintaining ungoogle chromium anymore.

This is now going to my long-term default browser, after safari, which i already ditched - looks dated and technological crippled as well.
firefox is moved to slot number 2 now.
I use Firefox as my daily driver and use Brave for throwaway searches. Both are better than Chrome.
im going to use exact opposite :)

I was avoiding Brave due to my "google_chrome_bad" perception, but finally installed brave last week for a "test drive". .

After my mandatory addon installed and my security and privacy tweaks.
1. uBlock origin with default easylist, easy-privacy, two additional list installed https://github.com/saffronlist/saffronlist , https://github.com/StevenBlack/hosts .
2. Local CDN / Privcy badger installed and configure to complement uBlock origin with L2 level of security
3. I have disabled the build in tracking and adblocker for first 5-6 days so that privacy badger can learn and make its database, i later switched it to minimum level and its complementing with uBO & pb.
4. Merged all the whitelisted sites and rules in uBO.

After a week use - I feel Brave is much much batter compared to Firefox. Fonts rendering is much better and overall considerably faster as well.
I also like private mode with tor - something new i seen after Operas build in VPN.
Only little thing i'm missing is - about:config and UI customisation which firefox offer.

Best thing - I don't have to bother manually maintaining ungoogle chromium anymore.

This is now going to my long-term default browser, after safari, which i already ditched - looks dated and technological crippled as well.
firefox is moved to slot number 2 now.

im going to use exact opposite :)
I am thinking of switching Firefox and Brave as Firefox is giving me headaches as it doesn't work with my Antivirus' HTTPS scanning for some reason while Brave is fine with it.

Back