BSNL 3G Thread

Gigacore said:
@SunnyBoi, ah fine.

Some anybody else tried the UMG1831 in ubuntu?
It should work fine. I'm using a UMG181 on debian and it worked right out of the box. Although I use from command line using ppp.

Even tried 1831 and it detected it fine ans established the connection as well. But as my modem was defective it was getting disconnected continuously, same in windows as well.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

Dushie said:
My bsnl 3G simcard died. Yesterday morning it was working fine. In the afternoon modem started giving sim error. Tried in phone also, it says insert sime. now have to go on monday to get a replacement sim.
I too had the same problem . LINK . Does your modem get hot also ?

NO heating issues with my 1831 modem, i have been using it 14 hours on the trot daily, the sim was working fine till sat morning , in afternoon my router was giving sim error, tried the modem also directly connected, also in the phone it kept saying insert sim. Hope they will change it free of cost, as connection is just a month old.

Now i am looking for the original older firmware to revert back and do some testing 11.826.03.01.420 .

Damm, but my sim is not even a motnh old, and if the sim quality is not good, they are expecting us to pay for the same ? They should replace the same free of cost.

Dushie said:
Damm, but my sim is not even a motnh old, and if the sim quality is not good, they are expecting us to pay for the same ? They should replace the same free of cost.
There is nothing wrong with the SIM quality. It's cheap low quality chinese made Huawei E122 and UMG1831 USB data cards, responsible for the damage and many other troubles.

Guys, whoever having SIM problem, is it recent 3G type SIM(256K) or even older sims also(64K or 128K?)...?

Why i'm asking is, i use older 2G sim migrated to 3G and usually during weekday my router will be on from 7PM to 10AM approximately and in weekends its friday evening to monday morning(power failure may affect the continuity) :p. Also this was going for a months like this... :)

onlyravi said:
Tried both the versions.... but its shows negotiated QsS same as the 4288675.84 both d/link and uplink...
Please report to ginggs(developer of MDMA) with your modem details, most probably he might fix in next versions :)

Got a new sim and connected the modem to the router, and that one also got fried. Not taking any risks, i removed the modem from the router, re flashed again with the fresh firmware. Went to get another replacement sim. This time its working fine. I have it connected to the pc getting good download speeds. I have not tired it yet with my router. Will reset the router then try the same again tomorrow, hoping all goes well.

Is there any other online option to recharge my 3G SIM with Rs.4200? The BSNL portal does not show the option for Rs.4200 recharge even now, for my MP number when I last checked a week ago, and it is down now..

Dushie said:
Got a new sim and connected the modem to the router, and that one also got fried. Not taking any risks, i removed the modem from the router, re flashed again with the fresh firmware. Went to get another replacement sim. This time its working fine. I have it connected to the pc getting good download speeds. I have not tired it yet with my router. Will reset the router then try the same again tomorrow, hoping all goes well.
How much time it took for getting replacement SIM and activation of the same and cost? BTW does your router under powering or over powering USB modem, which causes the SIM issue?

^^ + 1 for above post. I also read that if ur USB device pulls more power its not right to use it with ur router. Instead use a USB hub with an independant power supply. I too feel that the reason ur SIM is getting damaged is becoz ur router USB port is not able to provide it with enough power.
More true if u use a memory card in ur USB modems.

smnrock said:
How much time it took for getting replacement SIM and activation of the same and cost? BTW does your router under powering or over powering USB modem, which causes the SIM issue?
Time taken was just 15 minutes, you have to fill a complaint form, that has 2 categories, sim lost and sim fault, for sim fault you also need to mention the old sim no. Pay Rs 20 and the aunty will give a new sim after taking the old one and mention the sim no on the form. After that go to activation counter, where the aunty online on the bsnl tool, using the phone no pulls up the sim details. She then deactivates the old sim, enters the new sim no and activates it. After doing the same within 10 minutes the new sim starts to work. i did the same activity twice in a period of 3 hours and ended up spending 40 bucks.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

onlyravi said:
^^ + 1 for above post. I also read that if ur USB device pulls more power its not right to use it with ur router. Instead use a USB hub with an independant power supply. I too feel that the reason ur SIM is getting damaged is becoz ur router USB port is not able to provide it with enough power.

More true if u use a memory card in ur USB modems.
Well i have been using the same router with the modem for over one week without any issues. Some settings changed may have caused the issue,as i was playing around and learning all the settings in the router. So for now i will use the modem directly with the pc. Maybe on the weekend will reset the router and then connect the modem and use.

Dushie said:
Time taken was just 15 minutes, you have to fill a complaint form, that has 2 categories, sim lost and sim fault, for sim fault you also need to mention the old sim no. Pay Rs 20 and the aunty will give a new sim after taking the old one and mention the sim no on the form. After that go to activation counter, where the aunty online on the bsnl tool, using the phone no pulls up the sim details. She then deactivates the old sim, enters the new sim no and activates it. After doing the same within 10 minutes the new sim starts to work. i did the same activity twice in a period of 3 hours and ended up spending 40 bucks.
Thanks....

Got a BSNL Maharashtra Sim from a relative and tested it on MTNL Mumbai network on my Orange San fransicso (ZTE BLade). Getting 2mbps on my mobile as well as on PC (tethered through USB).

Back