BSNL EVDO - have some queries about speed and charges

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I am not sure if any one understands my issue. If all have read clearly, what I said was that I could get the modem working using a non-RUIM based number. Say my friend has the old ZTE modem, so we went to BSNL office and immediately they updated the ESN in their systems and after a couple of hours the ZTE based number was working fine. So thats not atall the issue. I tried doing the same with a RUIM based number but in that case it does not work. I have discussed more in my earlier posts. While all are claiming that RUIM also works on ESN basis - I checked with BSNL and they have some random ESN registered in their system against my number. Their theory is that only non-RUIM based numbers need a Number + ESN to validate, while the RUIM based numbers are ESN independent and can work on any ESN device. Due to this they do not store nor authenticate ESN in their systems. Now if all are claiming that RUIM based connection is working on a non-RUIM based modem, I want to know exactly how because I have not seen one example of a RUIM Based number configured. All the numbers / config threads I have seen are mostly of the non RUIM based numbers and like I mentioned that will work and configure fine.

Your question was answered multiple times. You are the one who is not reading clearly! ;) :p
There is no point in repeating the same thing again and again, as I don't think you will ever understand.

So I am agreeing to whatever you say, lets end this discussion, shall we? :)

Your question was answered multiple times. You are the one who is not reading clearly! ;) :p
There is no point in repeating the same thing again and again, as I don't think you will ever understand.

So I am agreeing to whatever you say, lets end this discussion, shall we? :)
Well, I understand what you say clearly. You said you need to change XXX on the non-ruim modem and it will work fine. Thats what I want to tell, it works only if its non RUIM based number and does not work if its a RUIM based number. Like I also mentioned, we did this on one of my friends number which is the old ZTE number and it worked fine without issues. Now if my settings are wrong it should not even work with that number. But as soon as I add the new RUIM number it fails to work.

Anyone help me, I want to go for EVDO but I think it's risky as I'm totally unaware of this service. BSNL officials say they are currently giving some "Prithvi" data card and the other one is "ZTE" but the costs vary too much. Including everything, prithvi one costs 2000 something and the ZTE one costs 5250. Just tell me what to do? If there's any good data card available in India then please suggest me please and yes help ASAP
I have not seen any ZTE modem begin given by BSNL. Can you confirm which model number they are providing? Prithvi actually costs just 1199 + whichever plan you choose. I have the prithvi and that works fine. But if you can get details regarding ZTE model number it would be great, because earlier BSNL used to provide the ZTE modem which had external antenna connector but that was EVDO Rev.0 the Prithvi is Rev.A so has a bit better download speed and much better upload speed. So kindly post the model number and would help you decide which one to go.

I have not seen any ZTE modem begin given by BSNL. Can you confirm which model number they are providing? Prithvi actually costs just 1199 + whichever plan you choose. I have the prithvi and that works fine. But if you can get details regarding ZTE model number it would be great, because earlier BSNL used to provide the ZTE modem which had external antenna connector but that was EVDO Rev.0 the Prithvi is Rev.A so has a bit better download speed and much better upload speed. So kindly post the model number and would help you decide which one to go.

that's the tough part you know, ZTE one is being provided by a "dalal" and I insisted him to show me the modem once but he said first you pay and then you get everything and I was like "go to hell"
well, should I go for micromax 300C, is it better than both the cards?

@sahil1033 well in that case I guess its the old ZTE modem which he might be suggesting. You might be able to get a used one from BSNL once you have a connection. I am not sure of Micromax but Prithvi works fine even in some remote locations though it lacks an external antenna port. Other than that its a direct plug and plan and works on most systems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways, I bought a BSNL CDMA SIM today only and now suggest ASAP any data card which works best with BSNL EVDO or I've one card in my mind, Micromax MMX 300C

I bough a BSNL CDMA SIM for EVDO. I have also done tele verification.
Now the problem is I had previously used my ZTE AC8700 with ESN configured for TN settings without a RUIM. (Disconnected that postpaid long back though)
Even with the new Karnataka RUIM inside though the software shows SIM inserted it still showing the roaming signal and 1x (I get that signal even w/o SIM)

Confused on how to get this RUIM working on my ZTE device?

@varkey

I bough a BSNL CDMA SIM for EVDO. I have also done tele verification.
Now the problem is I had previously used my ZTE AC8700 with ESN configured for TN settings without a RUIM. (Disconnected that postpaid long back though)
Even with the new Karnataka RUIM inside though the software shows SIM inserted it still showing the roaming signal and 1x (I get that signal even w/o SIM)

Confused on how to get this RUIM working on my ZTE device?

@varkey

You will have to enable RUIM from qpst and as I remember I had tried the same thing but ZTE AC8700 works only in 1x mode in RUIM config
try it out , might be my card was bad
edit : seems EVDO works in ZTE 8700 in RUIM mode

@kuduku - The qpst version 2.7 doesnt even detect the modem.
The CDMA unlocker 3.9 demo version is not of much use for this modem and the v2.7 cracks seems to be a trojan dropper.

Does the BSNL office technician unlock the SIM slot so that BSNL CDMA prepaid works with the ZTE AC8700?

@kuduku - The qpst version 2.7 doesnt even detect the modem.
The CDMA unlocker 3.9 demo version is not of much use for this modem and the v2.7 cracks seems to be a trojan dropper.

Does the BSNL office technician unlock the SIM slot so that BSNL CDMA prepaid works with the ZTE AC8700?

I dont know about BSNL unlocking it . I dont think so they will do it .. If you want can send you a working cdma unlocker 2.7

@kaneunderground If still having the 598u data card and willing to sell then pls contact me ASAP.[DOUBLEPOST=1373590995][/DOUBLEPOST]Anybody want to sell their 598u can contact me.

I was fascinated by the EVDO service ever since I laid my eyes on it some 4-5 years back but was reluctant to use it as had never heard anyone using it. The aunty ji at the BSNL office said that I will get 1 MBps speed but I had my suspicions. So instead I bought MTS Blaze. Which I realised after purchasing that is also CDMA. Then I went back to the BSNL office and asked whether I can run BSNL EVDO on this card to which they said how can I if it does accept sim? I did search a few forums like mygsmindia but to no avail. I went to the local mobile shops but they said they won't take any risks so I gave the thought. Then feb2013 i decided to try the service finally and bought their device of 'Teracom' make. Searched th net for other make/brand but couldn't get any other name than ZTE AC8700(LOL). When I asked for the ZTE modem(which I supposed to be superior) they said they only have the Teracom one. So had to buy it. I bought it in Dhanbad,Jharkhand. The speed was blazingly fast at 250+ KBps reaching 330 KBps sometimes. I was so excited. But the modem heated to much. Pretty soon it started behaving weird and uncovered few issues too. Then I shifted to Varanasi,UP. And still managed to get 1MBps-1.5MBps inside my house(still pretty happy). Then I had the issue of recharging the data card from Dhanbad itself. To which the BSNL guys in Varanasi as well as Dhanbad said was the only option(I am prepaid user). So I decided to changed the connection and get a local EVDO sim from Varanasi. To my amusement, on one had heard anything about EVDO at the main BSNL office at Varanasi. I ended up calling several guys/officers for info and running from one office to the other. Finally, they gave me a CDMA sim and they sent me to WLL office to get it activated which was not so tough. Then came the trouble. Now, the sim when connected won't provide more than 500Kbps-600Kpbs. And majority of time would run on 1x. After several long roaming calls(I travel mostly) I decided to take a sim from Dhanbad on my next visit as the BSNL guys at Varanasi failed to do anything. But even the sim purchased from Dhanbad would not work in EVDO now. As a result, I concluded that the modem is faulty(it is in fact) and decided to get THE ZTE AC8700( :D). I got this modem a couple of days back and now when getting even worse speed than before have no where to go. And after reading all the posts in this section I realised that earlier I was using a Rev. A modem from a shitty company and now I am using a Rev.0 modem from a decent company:)D). Now, I am stuck! Since I am travelling again from tonite my last hope is that I again call the guy at WLL office and beg him to do something about it. Few details, I was getting 3 bars in Teracom and now getting 5 bars in ZTE but nothing improved on the speed front. Guess I should have found this thread and forum a few days back atleast. Also, I went to port settings and changed it to max but when I connect it modem it shows 230.4 Kbps only! With Teracom the problem was it has affection to the 1x signal more. Even when EVDO signal has 3 bars it would switch to CDMA. Will be travilling to Dhanbad tonite so get to test it there too. Will post the update here. Thanx for you guys as this post taught me too much about CDMA and other info. Also, Anyone willing to buy my brand new ZTE AC8700 is most welcome. It's unlocked by BSNL guys itself. Also, next willing to try an antenna as @hayabusa_ryu did with his ZTE device. Pls, guide my dude what make/type were you using it? Will also try to get the Teracom one replaced as it is still under warranty. *phew* Let me know if someone is willing to sell 598u model. This adventure continues... ;)

I will most probably moving to Bangalore from next month. I will be enrolling in a course at the CDAC Knowledge Park (http://goo.gl/maps/7PjZ9).

I was overjoyed when I saw that there is an EVDO connection in Bangalore. I need to find accomodation someplace near to my institute and where I will get the signal of an EVDO tower.

Here is an old list of BTS locations in Bangalore - http://www.bsnlevdoclub.com/2010/11/view-bsnl-evdo-towers-in-bangalore-on.html [Map]and http://www.bsnlevdo.in/bsnl-evdo-news/bsnl-bts-coverage-in-bangalore/ [list of locations]

Bangalore residents, please help me out.
@varkey If you can, please help me out.

Hi there , need help with recharge!!

I recently purchased BSNL EVDO in Jharkhand Ranchi , still in JH. But I can't do online recharge as my no. is 651-29XXXXX , as you can see 651 is std code. Every other recharge portal says no. is not valid or rechage is failed. My no. is active as I used it for a month. Please help. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back