Budget 10-15K Buying a phone during festive sale

kartikoli

Skilled
As we all know both Amazon and Flipkart have started there sales so was thinking to retire my almost 3yrs old Redmi Note 7 Pro which is showing signs of slowness, I would like to try some other brands other than Mi this time but not restricting it. The phone will be used for Whataspp, email notifications, some random videos for pass-time, hardly make calls so battery is not my concern, would like a good screen with less clutters. Already have Samsung F51 so thats not an option.
Budget around 15k+/-

P.S. Indisplay fingerprint scanner is a deal breaker for me

Last edited:
A word of caution -

below 2 paras are from the above link -

Flagship phones sold in Europe by China's smartphone giant Xiaomi Corp (1810.HK) have a built-in ability to detect and censor terms such as "Free Tibet", "Long live Taiwan independence" or "democracy movement", Lithuania's state-run cybersecurity body said on Tuesday.

The capability in Xiaomi's Mi 10T 5G phone software had been turned off for the "European Union region", but can be turned on remotely at any time, the Defence Ministry's National Cyber Security Centre said in the report.

The report said the list of terms which could be censored by the Xiaomi phone's system apps, including the default internet browser, currently includes 449 terms in Chinese and is continuously updated.

Can they still pull it off after custom ROM is flashed?
Most probably.
As custom ROMS are compiled from the sources which are made public by the phone company itself, here being Xiomi, this snooping behavior would be embedded at system/kernel level, and company will make sure that it would be very difficult to remove or turn off these features

Most probably.
As custom ROMS are compiled from the sources which are made public by the phone company itself, here being Xiomi, this snooping behavior would be embedded at system/kernel level, and company will make sure that it would be very difficult to remove or turn off these features
That's scary to say the least. I intentionally get Xiaomi phones for the incredible custom ROM support they tend to get.. This is really sad if true.

If you are fine with slow updates from moto and you anyways are willing to live with the cons, G40 will anyday triumph over M21 and other phones in the bracket.

went ahead with the Moto G40. -- might put a detail review after long-term use. but here are my short experience of a weeks use. ( not sure i could have made a new thread)

Good:
  • 15k budget and need a gaming phone -- this is no brainier. the performance & screen size is the best part. colour reproduction are amazing no over saturated colours.
  • Battery - amazing. approx 5hours of non-stop popgo only drained 20% battery. doesn't heat the phone while charging or playing games.
  • this doesn't have compass - this is blessing in disguise for me for a technical reason.
Nutral:
  • Size, indeed its huge and heavy phone. once tried in pocket while going out - and decided to not do it anymore. taking this out was never in plan to doesn't matter. Size - I felt for 2 days but then now it doesn't matter.
  • I am finding it difficult to get quality screen-guard and cover. -- tried local stores no one kept accessories for moto.
  • the touch is not that great (probably all phone in this segment had this)
Bad:
  • the UI - damn man what happen to android and material design. Notification system - is the worst in android 11 -- doesn't serve any purpose - as i cant make out anything easily.
  • like most of the webapps - the overall UI/UX sucks--the guys who designed i can bet never went to art/design school or learn a single lesson in user experience. why icons have a unwanted white background, default text size is unreadable, increasing text size f*cks with entire system layout. i can go and rant on this topic for entire day

Sound/Music - this section is my biggest letdown and was mattered to me, hence a separate section.
while playing songs, this phone has the worst music quality i ever purchased in my life. i would give 2/10 for this.
Tried with wired and wireless phone range form 500rupes boat to 50k beyer pros... everything sounds shit. even hooked up my DAC via 3.5mm - but same pathetic sq.

did gaming with JBL wired bud, and listened to the FM with the build in app - audio quality was decent and acceptable.
I don't know what happening while playing FLAC, MP3/AAC - tried quite a few music players, nothing changes.
may be this is software/kernel issues with this phone.

EQs of music app don't work directly its passing it to "moto/google music analysing" app - im 100% suspecting this app has to be blamed - there is some hidden layer built in sound section.

------------

Overall its a good phone and happy with my purchase, i think below 15k this was indeed no brainier. serves my purpose really well.

EQs of music app don't work directly its passing it to "moto/google music analysing" app - im 100% suspecting this app has to be blamed - there is some hidden layer built in sound section.
Yeah, sound on stock android is pretty lame. I disabled music fx and got a equaliser to route the music through an app and it was somewhat better. Will let you know the name of app, don't recall it now. Hope it helps in your case.
Why not try disabling that Google music app?
And regarding UX, does it work with lawnchair launcher to see if it rids off that annoying issue?
Edit- This thing works on my Nokia 7+
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.devdnua.equalizer.free

Last edited:
Back