Camera Buying my first DSLR - Budget 50k

c0n.

Disciple
Hi guys,

I am planning to buy my first DSLR in January.
Cameras I have short-listed are: Nikon D7000 & D5200

I have a budget of around 50k and want to get something that would last me next 4-5 years.
Also, I am not looking to buy any extra lenses for next 6 months, so please suggest a kit that already already has a decent enough lens.

Mostly I would be shooting landscapes and outdoor snaps.

Thanks in anticipation.

I don't think D7000 along with a decent 50mm prime can be had within 50k.
D5200 with a good lens should come in that range.
For shooting landscapes you'll need a wide angle lens like 18mm, 12mm, 24mm or a zoom lens in that range.

Thanks to both of you for quick replies.

@kestrel5915 : I have seen in my research that one of the distinguishing factors that D7000 has is the autofocus motor.
How important a factor that will be in the real world?

And my second question is around lenses and their nomenclature.
From my understanding there are 2 types of lenses that we have:
1) Prime lens: having fixed focal lengths
2) Zoom lens: ability to zoom and shoot at different focal lengths within a certain range

@xtremevicky: Is a 50mm Prime meant for outdoor and indoor family snaps like had suggested in your post.
& What would be considered a good price for both models with standard zoom lenses that they come with (18-55mm for D5200 & 18-105mm for D7000)

You can get d7000 body for 45K if you are fine with used equipment. If not D5200 (I have) is also a great camera. The only problem I see is the lack of an autofocus motor in the body.

50mm price is great for indoor and candid photography. Price is around 5-5.5K. Remember D5200 will not autofocus the 50mm prime, D7000 will. A prime lens is very good for learning photography.

D5200 = 40K + 5K = 18-55 + 50mm.

2) Zoom lens: ability to zoom and shoot at different focal lengths within a certain range

This is correct. There are 3 more types but they are not very relevant for you right now.

Thanks to both of you for quick replies.

@kestrel5915 : I have seen in my research that one of the distinguishing factors that D7000 has is the autofocus motor.
How important a factor that will be in the real world?

And my second question is around lenses and their nomenclature.

@xtremevicky: Is a 50mm Prime meant for outdoor and indoor family snaps like had suggested in your post.
& What would be considered a good price for both models with standard zoom lenses that they come with (18-55mm for D5200 & 18-105mm for D7000)

D7000 has an in-camera focus motor which means that it can focus the lenses which don't have a built in focus motor unlike D5200 which requires lenses with built in focus motors.
So that way compatibility of the camera increases, plus lenses with AF motor are expensive than those without it.
But there are plenty of options of lenses and many newer lenses are having the AF motor so you might not feel that much of a difference but it certainly helps to have the motor in the camera itself.

D7000 is a camera that if a person uses once, he would not really require an upgrade. (unless one NEEDS a fx sensor for pro use)

I own one and the cam is so good that I feel I'm not making full use of it. I disagree with Canon users when they say their x00 series is good, but when I say this particular model owns everyone. You don't even need a D7100.

I was in the same spot a few months ago , D5200 & the D7000 and I am very glad I chose the D7000.

For a quick comparo you can check out their Snapsort ..

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Nikon_D7000

The D7000 has twice the battery life .. (~3000 shots if you don't use the flash)
Weather Sealing
AF Motor for the older Nikon AF-D type lenses
Brighter viewfinder
2 Memory Card Slots
1/8000 Max Shutter Speed.
2 Command Dials
--- All the above points have made a real word difference to me so far ..

and most of all (for me) the grip of the D7000 was so much better than the D5200 which felt 'smallish' .. Do a proper hands on at some store and see which feels better when held and operated.

I'd suggest getting a D7000 + 18-55mm since you are learning --
If you are in Delhi, buy from Chandni Chowk you'll get the Lens + Body under 50k easily.

You can get a 50mm prime later ..

@dexBG: Alrite, makes sense.

So, for the body D7000 (towards which I was already inclined to be honest) seems like the best option. Especially for people who will not be upgrading for next 5 years.

Now, for the lens part what should I pick up - 18-55 , 18-105(which comes in stock on most online shops) or a prime?
Keeping in mind I would mostly be shooting candids and outdoor trips.

And no, unfortunately I am not from Delhi. :(
Currently I am in Pune. Any local members here who can help me with a reliable local dealer.
Any other options that I have to source a D7000 (safely)?

I was in the same spot a few months ago , D5200 & the D7000 and I am very glad I chose the D7000.

For a quick comparo you can check out their Snapsort ..

http://snapsort.com/compare/Nikon-D5200-vs-Nikon_D7000

The D7000 has twice the battery life .. (~3000 shots if you don't use the flash)
Weather Sealing
AF Motor for the older Nikon AF-D type lenses
Brighter viewfinder
2 Memory Card Slots
1/8000 Max Shutter Speed.
2 Command Dials
--- All the above points have made a real word difference to me so far ..

and most of all (for me) the grip of the D7000 was so much better than the D5200 which felt 'smallish' .. Do a proper hands on at some store and see which feels better when held and operated.

I'd suggest getting a D7000 + 18-55mm since you are learning --
If you are in Delhi, buy from Chandni Chowk you'll get the Lens + Body under 50k easily.

You can get a 50mm prime later ..

@c0n.

You can contact Videolinks store, its based out of Kannur, Kerela.
Pretty reliable guys, you can get in touch with them through Facebook (via anish.george.944)

alternatively try eBay .. Chandni Chowk is awesome place to buy, If you happen to be going there soon, I'd recommend waiting.

FYI, Nikon prices has gone up a bit recently ..

The 18-105 is the standard kit lens for the D7000 but I'd suggest going for a 18-55 in the beginning.
For portraits & outdoor snaps it should do sufficiently well .. you can get nice wide landscape shots & group shots.

1. Buy only the D7000 body + 18-55 lens for now.
2. Get a decent 45 MBps SD Card (16 GB Atleast) .. the bundled card is slow n small.
3. Get a proper Camera bag , look at Lowepro, DCB etc.
4. Get a simple 200-300 Lens cleaning kit.

I had started out with a D7000 + 50mm initially but bought a 18-55 last week as I was too restricted with just the 50mm ..

If you are starting out in DSLR world.. I really suggest you to ignore all the suggestions regarding prime and zoom lenses. I do not say they suck or anything like that. Not talking about their fastness, qlty etc.

Just talking in perspective of their versatility for a normal user or a starter. I personally will never buy a prime or zoom lenses that start from 50 or 70. My pick is always wide angle.. Or at least a 35mm.
I don't do artsy pics just take for gathering, outings, trips etc. In those, I want more focal range. Not a fixed one. Why not a zoom then you ask? Of course but only ones like 18-200 or 18-270 or 18-300 coz I don't like carrying multiple lenses and I need close up shots. Very much. With a fixed length I keep running around or sometimes there is not space to walk back and focus. And In a group, many wont be patient or understanding of my camera's limitation.

Buying an SLR is just a start or one matter. Carrying it around is another. :(

I do strongly suggest you get a 18-55 or 18-135 for starter and see what you wish for real. Rather than getting the prime and be stuck with it. I bought 2 primes in my SLR usage a 50 and 35. 50 I hated it so much. 35 not so much.

My photos are more of a time capsule rather than a artistic definition to me.

I upgraded from a D5000 with 18-55 to a D7100 with 18-105. And I have extensively used the D7000 with both the lenses. There is no possible scenario where I would prefer the 18-55 over the 18-105. The only plus with the former is the fact that it can focus a bit closer distance compared to the latter. Most of the time you would end up with wishing for more reach with the 18-55. Right now, the 18-105 is a value for money all round lens that would serve you well as you progress to better gear over time.

Yes it can. Thats why I always advise people who don't intend to do photography NOT to get a DSLR. But nowadays getting a DSLR is a norm. :S :S. I had to save up for 2 years to get my first body. I am already in it, When I take a normal cam, bridge cam, 3/4 in hand.. it just feels wrong. If i don't hear that shutter sound, I be like.. Did it take the pic?. And the Image qlty that it offers comparing to any Imaging devices I mention here, Even with the bare basic Kit lens.

Its a black hole I say.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.
@m-jeri Point taken bro.

Would be finalizing my purchase by Jan end. Have set my eyes on a 18-XXX mm lens as dictated by the budget - keeping in mind that I would mostly be shooting outdoor trips initially and then probably get a prime later.
Are there any red flags I should keep in mind regarding lenses' nomenclature, never understood why some are marked VR, AF-S, AF-D etc. and what difference does that make.

I have contacted Videolinks folks - still waiting for a quote from their side.

Thanks for all the pointers guys.
@m-jeri Point taken bro.

Would be finalizing my purchase by Jan end. Have set my eyes on a 18-XXX mm lens as dictated by the budget - keeping in mind that I would mostly be shooting outdoor trips initially and then probably get a prime later.
Are there any red flags I should keep in mind regarding lenses' nomenclature, never understood why some are marked VR, AF-S, AF-D etc. and what difference does that make.

I have contacted Videolinks folks - still waiting for a quote from their side.

VR - Vibration Reduction - Lens will cancel of small amount of jitter and shake when hand holding the camera. Reduces blur.

AF - S - Auto Focus Silent - Internal Autofocus Motor in the lens which is the newer Silent type. Makes very less noise.

AF-D - No Internal AF Motor but will AF if Camera Body has a Motor - Older model lenses are AF-D type and will AF with a Nikon D7000.

There is lots of nomenclature but you needn't worry about it at this stage. Pick up any one lens as you see fit.

Make sure you get a proper warranty card .. stamped by the Seller & a proper VAT Paid Bill.

@cOn. I would also recommend a all in one like an 18-105 or a 18-200. I personally have a Nikon D5100 and use a 18-200 from Tamron. Incidentally when I bought the stuff a couple of years back it cost me 50K :)

It i very difficult in general and also heavy to carry multiple lenses. Add to that a tripod and you can feel the load. I did that for a recent trip to Cambodia and I could feel the pain. Also switching lenses is not easy. Once you graduate to more serious stuff or feel like splurging more go for the primes and the more expensive lenses. I am not very clear about a 50 mm prime though but maybe it is just me.

Back