Camera Buying my first DSLR - Budget 50k

@Raj : Yes when pictures are pixel peeped, compact will lose out badly. But i am content with seeing my pics web size and see no need to crop . Even with a basic kit lens along with my 550d , i could see more details when zoomed in.
Things have certainly improved. Canon G1x which is selling for 26k now has an APSC sized sensor and has been recommended as a great compact for low light shooting. Not only sensor size, the light capturing and photo processing algorithms have improved drastically and even some professionals are using high end compacts.
However, my hx20v is useless in low light. If you want examples of good compacts, RX100, G1x, Ricoh GR, Sigma DP2 Merill Fujifilm X100 are great examples. At the upper end, we have Sony RX1, a full frame compact camera which is my Dream Cam . See this article. This article will really open your mind and give you a whole new perspective on what photography really constitutes. I love how he acknowledges that every photo enthusiast has this "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" and thinks that only if he had the perfect gear , he would have been a better photographer and how he worked with only one fixed lens to challenge himself to improve his composition skills.

http://www.onemorelens.com/2013/12/how-rx1-made-photographer-out-of-me.html

If I remember correctly, the DSC QX100, the camera attachment for smartphones that Sony launched, was a RX100 without body viewfinder. Wonder if I should get that if I can sell off the DSC QX10.

The reviews are not good because the remote software offers very little control. The RX 100MK2 will let you do the same but here that sony memories thing ruins it as well. Wonderful control that you have on the camera disappears in that stupid app.

As a camera on its own its very good. You can pocket it easily, try doing that with QX100. concept was good execution especially on the software end was very poor.

See this article. This article will really open your mind and give you a whole new perspective on what photography really constitutes. I love how he acknowledges that every photo enthusiast has this "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" and thinks that only if he had the perfect gear , he would have been a better photographer and how he worked with only one fixed lens to challenge himself to improve his composition skills.

http://www.onemorelens.com/2013/12/how-rx1-made-photographer-out-of-me.html
I intend to do the same with just a phone.

Composition & understanding how light works. That second thing is a black art. get the light correct and the photo will look good even on low spec camera. See this photo for an example. See what was used to take that photo.

your article is about how people hide behind the camera. The camera does not know what it sees. Only the 12 inches behind it does :D

I've found the pro tog cheap camera series on digital rev tv very interesting, they invited these pro photographers and give them toy or older low end cameras and then tell them to get on with it. These guys come expecting to do a shoot with their high end gear only to have it swapped for something ridiculous they have no clue about. It's amazing the kind of shots they get with them. being a pro is all about attitude.

Last edited:
@srkmish Thanks for the article and I do know that running after gear is an endless syndrome and will never satisfy you. I keep telling everyone that unless you are a professional looking at some very specific pictures you do not need all those super cameras. I am amused by mostly I think Japanese tourists who would use a Nikon D4 in auto mode.

Having said that there are some occasions where I still feel you need a DSLR though I am waiting for the day when a pocket sized mobile phone will do the same. My story (I am divulging here) for a DSLR was when I was once inside the dark caves in Malaysia (400 million year old structure ) and there were these faint rays of light deep inside the cave and I could do absolutely nothing with my compact camera :(. That was one photo opportunity I would not have ever wanted to miss.

Raj

I think we can safely end the discussion with saying that whatever makes you enjoy photography more is worth it. For me , a lighter gear is preferred as i can spend more time photographing things i like and not having to worry about lugging heavy gear. For others, its about the no compromise image quality which prompts some to carry a ton of lenses and FF cameras in their bags . Either ways, if you are satisfied with your results, it makes for a happy shooter. Happy shooting guys :D

Although I understand and respect opinions of TE'ians who are suggesting that - in 95% of the cases a DSLR ends up doing the job of a Point and Shoot - shooting family shots and trips in auto mode.:)
That might very well be the case with me as well, but still I would want explore that for myself rather than taking any argument against buying on face value.
Having said that I've had my heart set on D7000 for sometime now, so I will probably end up buying it sooner than later. Like @srkmish said - whatever makes you a happy shooter, right.

Meanwhile, what have you decided/done @c0n.?
@kestrel5915 Have decided to go for D7000 body from Videolinks. (~43k)
I have decided to go for a lens separately rather then buying a D7000 kit with a 18-105. Since kit comes in at around ~58k. Making 18-105 around ~15k.
Still pondering over the choice on lenses. Looking for a great all purpose lens as my first buy (a 35mm prime would be probably next). Reading a lot of reviews on lenses these days and plan to take a demo at a nearby store.
So far I have looked at these options:
18-105 - has limited zoom, focuses fast
55-200 - gives me great range and but is somewhat slower to focus.
70-300 - focuses fast and has greater zoom, but not sure if shots are sharp enough after 200+

Also my concern is regarding macro shots as a lens starting 55+ needs a minimum distance from the subject (?). Any suggestions are still welcome :drowning:

Dude, get an 18-55 for now (6-7k).. you have already picked a good Nikon body.
its a great beginners lens. If you find yourself constrained in low light pick up the 35mm 1.8 next.

Start with just one lens so you won't have to worry about switching, once figure out what the 18-55 is missing you can understand your next purchase.

70-300 focuses fast and has greater zoom, but not sure if shots are sharp enough after 200+

Pretty sharp at 300 also .. I'lll be uploading some pics to flickr soon.[DOUBLEPOST=1389791733][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also my concern is regarding macro shots as a lens starting 55+ needs a minimum distance from the subject (?). Any suggestions are still welcome

You can use a reverse ring to attach the lens from the opposite side, this certain lenses into macro ones. Its a cheap workaround which is quite popular.

Last edited:
Dude, get an 18-55 for now (6-7k).. you have already picked a good Nikon body.
its a great beginners lens. If you find yourself constrained in low light pick up the 35mm 1.8 next.
Sounds good, he wants to shoot landscapes & outdoors shots, the wide angle will come in useful.

18-55 is lighter than bigger zooms.

Only thing i would have suggested is to get an articulated viewfinder. Not necessary for landscapes and outdoors but will come in handy as he broadens his horizons.

Now all he needs is a good tripod for those low light shots.

Start with just one lens so you won't have to worry about switching, once figure out what the 18-55 is missing you can understand your next purchase.
yeah

@c0n. My vote would be on the 18-105 among the three that you have talked about. Is great for a first lens, don't have to do lens switching and once you figure out the extras that you need can go for those lenses.

Hijacking this thread, anybody used the Fuji X100S ? Unanimously amazing reviews all around, great IQ (specially with no pass filter), good auto WB and ultra-sharp pics ! Anybody with a first hand experience ?

Incidently, Flipkart prices are at an all-time low for D7000 with 18-105 mm kit lens @ 54950.
@raj_pol What do you guys think.. good deal?
@con In terms of price that looks like an incredible deal. However do check what @dexBG is saying. As long as you get warranty that should be fine I guess. However if warranty is void while buying from flipkart (should not be the case) then I advice against it.

In terms of the price I will say go for it. Cheaper than snapdeal and infibeam.

@AK3D They are not authorized but does that mean the warranty is void? I mean selling without warranty should it not be a serious scandal? Are all small shops authorized dealers?

I am curious as to how it works

The warranty card has to be stamped by the Seller (this seller must be authorized) .. if you present a blank (unstamped) warranty card then Nikon could claim its is grey purchased.

Back