Camera Buying my first DSLR - Budget 50k

Buying an SLR is just a start or one matter. Carrying it around is another. :(
This is the major downside with zoom lenses. How long you have to carry it around.

Just talking in perspective of their versatility for a normal user or a starter. I personally will never buy a prime or zoom lenses that start from 50 or 70. My pick is always wide angle.. Or at least a 35mm.
Then you've not understood the purpose for a 50mm lens. In a cramped space a 35mm would be better.

I don't do artsy pics just take for gathering, outings, trips etc. In those, I want more focal range. Not a fixed one. Why not a zoom then you ask? Of course but only ones like 18-200 or 18-270 or 18-300 coz I don't like carrying multiple lenses and I need close up shots. Very much. With a fixed length I keep running around or sometimes there is not space to walk back and focus. And In a group, many wont be patient or understanding of my camera's limitation.
yes in this case its more practical. But there are many situations that call for different tools. The hardest is knowing what you want and then matching.

My photos are more of a time capsule rather than a artistic definition to me.
Then you're not taking photos you're merely documenting events.

But nowadays getting a DSLR is a norm. :S :S.
What ?

No DSLR isn't the norm. compacts are the norm and phones are slowly filling that space.

When I take a normal cam, bridge cam, 3/4 in hand.. it just feels wrong. If i don't hear that shutter sound, I be like.. Did it take the pic?. And the Image qlty that it offers comparing to any Imaging devices I mention here, Even with the bare basic Kit lens.
Why does it feel wrong ? if its much lighter and serves the purpose what is the need to lug around all that weight. If you think having a dSLR gives you more cachet then you're hiding behind the camera. A DSLR does not mean beter photos. You take the photo, the camera is just a tool.

If you want more options a DSLR is better. When you shed weight then you have to make compromises. I don't mean image quality here but flexibility that interchangeable lenses offer. Better execution, more options. A general purpose tool.

TBH i don't know why you even use a DSLR, if you're documenting life a high end compact with appropriate zoom would be much better.

Course we're talking photos here, if you do video as well then DSLRs will have an edge over compacts.[DOUBLEPOST=1389692446][/DOUBLEPOST]The D7000 does not have an articulated viewfinder, i find that a hinderance. A camera with D7000 quality with such a viewfinder would be much better.

Last edited:
I have been trying to tell my parents the same for a long time. My Dad has a 808 Pureview right now but wants to buy a DSLR. I will try and limit him to a good high zoom P&S or even a micro 4-3rd, but according to him, if he is spending that much, it's better to get a DSLR.
It seems they would want more zoom than picture quality.

HX-50V or RX100MK2 (better quality but much less zoom) or even a canon S120. Not seen 120 here, only 110.

The weight is light,portability means you can carry it anywhere. Means you will use it more. Sony's can be remote controlled with a smartphone if required. Panasonic LZ40 also.

What ?

No DSLR isn't the norm. compacts are the norm and phones are slowly filling that space.

Why does it feel wrong ? if its much lighter and serves the purpose what is the need to lug around all that weight. If you think having a dSLR gives you more cachet then you're hiding behind the camera. A DSLR does not mean beter photos. You take the photo, the camera is just a tool.

If you want more options a DSLR is better. When you shed weight then you have to make compromises. I don't mean image quality here but flexibility that interchangeable lenses offer. Better execution, more options. A general purpose tool.

TBH i don't know why you even use a DSLR, if you're documenting life a high end compact with appropriate zoom would be much better.

Course we're talking photos here, if you do video as well then DSLRs will have an edge over compacts.[DOUBLEPOST=1389692446][/DOUBLEPOST]The D7000 does not have an articulated viewfinder, i find that a hinderance. A camera with D7000 quality with such a viewfinder would be much better.

It is the Norm. Just check the number of Which DSLR threads here. and the numerous requests from people i know offline. Stop arguing for the sake of arguing.

This is the major downside with zoom lenses. How long you have to carry it around.

Then you've not understood the purpose for a 50mm lens. In a cramped space a 35mm would be better.

yes in this case its more practical. But there are many situations that call for different tools. The hardest is knowing what you want and then matching.

Then you're not taking photos you're merely documenting events.

Are you repeating what i said or you dont understand english or tone etc

What ?

He meant when people start having a job and have saved up some money, all have this vision of being a photographer and start purchasing DSLRs. Soon ,we see them embedding their watermark into their photos and start creating a page in Facebook under XYZ photography . Illusion of being a successful photographer accomplished. ;)

He meant when people start having a job and have saved up some money, all have this vision of being a photographer and start purchasing DSLRs. Soon ,we see them embedding their watermark into their photos and start creating a page in Facebook under XYZ photography . Illusion of being a successful photographer accomplished. ;)
This is actually the story of a lot of people :p

Actual photography skills have become less important to people than photoshop skills :dead:

The norm for what ? that is what i don't understand.

Everyone and their uncles want a DSLR! Most end up using it on full AUTO. Some use it on Aperture or Shutter priority and very few on full manual.

Also, what is with the moral policing on almost every Suggest/WTB thead across the forums? Granted some of the advice given is great and can save people money/heartbreak but do we really need to question everyone's wants and desires?

Everyone and their uncles want a DSLR! Most end up using it on full AUTO. Some use it on Aperture or Shutter priority and very few on full manual.
So they end up with average shots using expensive equipment. What was the point of even getting a dslr in that case.

See, question still applies.

These guys are just posers.

Something about what he said, made me think he's the go to guy either in the office or family if any event comes up. This can be useful in terms of being known, helps with networking, its like having a car when others don't have one and you become the main guy.

Why use a word like artsy ? photography is art. See, i don't sense much passion or excitement in him about photography at all. It's like a job. Use the most efficient device, job done. heh.

Despite having saved up for two years. If you're not excited about it why save up that too for two years.

I am excited to buy something i saved up for 2 years. My money, My excitement. Please stop talking about someone else when you don't know anything.

@srkmish I am curious. I checked your pictures but do you find a difference when you blow up your pictures to say even HD size between a compact and a DSLR. I had a compact some time back and I could see a big difference between what my DSLR can do and the compact. That was of course some time back and things would have definitely improved.

Also low light photography I would have thought will be impossible with most compacts but I might be wrong.

Back