Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - Discussion Thread

ubergeek said:
destructoid jim gave it a 9.5 :S

seriously

What's wrong with that? :S

Its a great game and quite expectedly so.

I guess the single largest reason, due to which people are ranting and whining about the game and trying to find flaws by nit picking and overlooking the all important gameplay, is the graphics engine.

Well its just the same game that activision manufactures year after year where's the innovation?has anything new been done by the franchise? what the game does now is what the prequels have been doing,but rite now its more refined and accessible ergo makes it more fun so is that what makes a good game?even the Graphics engine hasnt been upgraded and the game looks exactly like MW1!!!.you may argue that graphics are not everything but look at BF3 and see how well it balances between presentation and gameplay. the game looks spectacular even on low settings and the way the dust ,supressing fire ,the flares have effect on the gameplay makes the world seem more interactive but what has MW3 done? its the same shit but more refined with a fancy social networking thing called ellite (which is delayed for the PC BTW and also the subscriiption guarnteeing all the DLC's is console exclusive)

When i see a COD sequel all i see is a Cash cow which is getting miilked to death by activision!

^ Yes, I was referring to that reasoning exactly :p

Although I haven't touched MW3 but I'm sure that gameplay wise its not going to be same as even subtle tweaks like collecting dog tags to earn the kill can make huge differences in MP.

well dude i dont care for subtility if you wanna introduce "improvements" to your game you could have done so with Pactches or even DLC's you dont need to release a new game for that :p

@ubergeek

Err, you're forgetting about the ultra superb campaign, the spec-ops co-op, point streaks and packages, new guns, new maps, new gameplay modes, etc.

See that's exactly the point I was making earlier that no matter what changes they bring to COD and how much more fun they make it, graphic whores will still find ways to take digs at the game.

And mind you these are the people who haven't yet touched MW3 but have sat in front of their screens gazing at the beauty of another game expecting eyegasm.

Anyway, lets not start a war over here.

Reviews seem positive after all. :p

VG247 said:
Eurogamer – 8

D’Toid – 9.5

IGN – 9

GiantBomb – 4/5

Edge – 9

1UP – A-

Videogamer – 9

VentureBeat – N/A

Joystiq – 4.5/5

ShackNews – N/A

CVG – 9

Game Informer – 9

Digital Spy – 4/5

PSU – 9

Everyeye.It – 9

Gamer.no – 7

Xboxygen – 3/5

Eurogamer.de – 9

Metro – 9

The Guardian – 5/5

GameTrailers – 9.3

Play3.de – 8.5

OPM UK – 9

The Telegraph – 5/5

Eurogamer.cz – 9

GameSpot – 8.5

PlayNation.De – 4/5

i dont want to start an argument.But ist it strange that inspite of having no innovation same engine and same old things this game has fans almost double as compared to bf.
Balancing wise nothing beats COD till now.

I am no fan of any one.But still i have played MW1,MW2 multiplayer and bf. Mw series always have a great balance in campaign and multiplayer.

True mw shows no stats or any tags.But who can forget those awesome knife throw kills in MW2.(search the youtube videos)It was so much fun.Especially the kill cam.

Modernwarfare changed the way fps was played.It kind of created a revolution.Before mw bf was only for multiplayer.many games borrowed the concept of cod but still how many succeeded?

Bf multiplayer is more team oriented.But mw multiplayer is more keeping ahead of your opponents.Though team factors also counts in some missions.
All in all bf and mw multiplayer takes different routes

Ahem, just because it has many fans does not necessarily mean it has more quality, it's just more popular. Look around you'll find numerous examples. Music, Movies etc.

It's a never ending battle. Airtel FUP is killing me.

quan chi said:
Modernwarfare changed the way fps was played.

The run-and-gun types albeit nothing like Serious Sam. Although COD 4 began with a good storyline, MW2 dragged it a bit further and like the rest put it, 'milked' the franchise but the set-pieces in the game made up for it. I believe it is going to be the same with MW3 as well. But truth to be told, there is no element of realism in the game which is where tactical sims like the SOCOM series or the Rainbow Six series takes the cake. In those games, you really need to use your grey cells and figure out a strategy to beat the objectives unlike MW or any other FPS wherein you can grab that MG and go guns blazing on the AI or maybe respawn at the checkpoint if you die and then repeat. Just one bullet (or maybe a couple more if you have some proper armor) is enough to take you down and then you begin from the start of the chapter. Now those games give you a real good sense of satisfaction if you complete them.

I love both the genres nonetheless. :D

Yes, actually games like Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon were having great potential as MP but both of them somehow allowed other shooters like COD and BF to take center stage.

But with Patriots announced and Future Soldier coming up, I've a lot of hope and expectations from those games.

But its hard to beat the fun factor in COD and quality is a very subjective term which I personally found lacking in BF series except the visuals.

quixand said:
Ahem, just because it has many fans does not necessarily mean it has more quality, it's just more popular. Look around you'll find numerous examples. Music, Movies etc.

It's a never ending battle. Airtel FUP is killing me.

To put it another way its more popular thats why it has more fanbase.But what matters is why it is more popular?why not any other title.publicity? Then in what way bf's publicity was inferior to it?

If you drag other examples too then i would ask if its a marketing gimmick then how many persons you would find who after playing the game said it was a waste and dosent worth it.Let me tell you for MW2 it was roughly 1 in 10.Though mw2 had an unimpressive storyline but playing it was quite a fun.

Gannu said:
The run-and-gun types albeit nothing like Serious Sam. Although COD 4 began with a good storyline, MW2 dragged it a bit further and like the rest put it, 'milked' the franchise but the set-pieces in the game made up for it. I believe it is going to be the same with MW3 as well. But truth to be told, there is no element of realism in the game which is where tactical sims like the SOCOM series or the Rainbow Six series takes the cake. In those games, you really need to use your grey cells and figure out a strategy to beat the objectives unlike MW or any other FPS wherein you can grab that MG and go guns blazing on the AI or maybe respawn at the checkpoint if you die and then repeat. Just one bullet (or maybe a couple more if you have some proper armor) is enough to take you down and then you begin from the start of the chapter. Now those games give you a real good sense of satisfaction if you complete them.

I love both the genres nonetheless. :D

I too like both the genres,yes i too have played rainbow six.Gannu you know what it is like. It is like why NFS is so popular than colin mcrae?
I would say colin macrae is the best racing sim out there.Nfs is like a kid infront of it.Handling the cars matters a lot in the former.To be honest i liked it.
Anyways these type of games require a lot of patience and tell me how many persons have that patience.Thats the reason not everyone is interested that game.

Moreover if you observe Nfs series also fell after carbon.It only regained its legacy after shift.But when have you observed this thing on cod.Even those who criticized the game still liked it.

COD MW series hits bang on the target! Run! move! bamm! move gun! and repeat.By the time you understand the story the game gets over! and you have a multiplayer to challenge.Your brain automatically makes an impression that it was an awesome experience!because it makes the adrenaline (l4d2 players:lol:) pump!

This is what the mass wants and this is what makes it more popular.

Begun, the COD wars have.

I love the COD SP, but only because it's like a Hollywood movie. A blockbuster summer release. A 5 hour fix. The multiplayer seems mindless to me, run around killing people. Ridiculously high damage bullets, no recoil guns. Scope down and blam, killing spree !! But I am looking from the perspective of an old school PC gamer. If I were a console gamer, it would be mana from high heaven for me. 60 fps. Kickass (lol) graphics. Awesome (lol again) sound. Easy to play. High octane gameplay. No wonder it sold a bazillion copies on the consoles.

Anyways, it works for many people, but not for me. I want my MP games to have some teamwork, coordination and maps that are larger than my bathroom. And to all the people saying number rules, well, I guess then Justin Beiber must be the greatest musician of this generation.

EDIT: Random comment from metacritics :

This is the BEST map pack for MW2 so far. It's a little over priced though, they're usually like $15. There is a glitch however- usually my profile carries over from one map pack to the other, but this time my stats reset.

:rofl:

Those ratings may be intentional as well. I recall a similar instance with RAGE. Anyhow I suppose the 'Modern Warfare' story has finally come to an end with this trilogy. Good for Activision I guess.

Back