Can someone explain WHY some people want a Telangana state?

The fact that congress has left this on a "committee" to decide is enough to figure out there will. Time seems to be there hope. Who knows what the movement will be by 31st dec 2010. After all, the ToR is a step back from the dec 9th speech. All the students where doing was protesting about ToR in OU and they clamped down on it brutally.

Back in 69, the andhra politician's floated around rumours that the agitating students were actually maoists and people believed that which resulted in ordering the police to fire at a sea of people leaving 370 students dead. That jolted the movement greatly and it took several months of curfews to end that movement.

I see a similar pattern in OU clampdown. Given a chance, the andhra's would crush them without hesitation. I guess the media presence is making it hard this time. And on top of that, the HC/SC raps them with show cause notices.

Prohibitory orders in City from today
In view of Osmania University students’ call to lay siege to the Assembly on February 20 demanding resignations of elected representatives of the region, Hyderabad and Cyberabad police have imposed prohibitory orders.

Al l kind of meetings, rallies, processions and speeches are prohibited.

City Police Commissioner A K Khan, in a notification Thursday, said that in view of the Chalo Assembly and other agitations of the students and political parties in the wake of announcement of terms of reference of Sri Krishna Committee, the prohibitory orders have been imposed to maintain law and order.

The prohibitory orders would come into effect from Friday and would be in force till February 25.

Cyberabad Police Commissioner S Prabhakar Reddy also prohibited assembly of five or more persons in the police limits from February 19-21.

With the imposition of prohibitory orders, all kinds of dharnas, rallies, processions would be banned. Carrying of any kind of weapons including stones, lathis and sticks are also banned.

Those who violate the prohibitory orders would be punished.

Back to old habits. The andhra politicians have been comparing the protesters to maoists, kashmiri separatists, pakistanis etc etc. Journalists too aren't far away.

Antisocial elements or Maoists in Telangana movement? ? Sulekha News

Telangana Samithi going the Sena way? | TradingMarkets.com

Maoists have infiltrated Telangana movement: Cops: Rediff.com India News

Telangana movement providing cover for Naxals?

face it, the movement lost syeam,when the one upmanship of who deserved more praise for the state came up....politicians have openly speaking against JAC, now only students remain....roll on IPL and it will end up forgotten....

i been following this with interest because of my impending move to hyd

broadway said:
The fact that congress has left this on a "committee" to decide is enough to figure out there will. Time seems to be there hope. Who knows what the movement will be by 31st dec 2010. After all, the ToR is a step back from the dec 9th speech. All the students where doing was protesting about ToR in OU and they clamped down on it brutally.
Congress' excuse is there has to be some sort of 'consensus' before any action is taken. You can't argue against that nor on the future verdict. Its a checkmate for now.

Either way I don't think it will stop the movement as it seems to have gained a critical mass or at least thats the perception.

broadway said:
Back in 69, the andhra politician's floated around rumours that the agitating students were actually maoists and people believed that which resulted in ordering the police to fire at a sea of people leaving 370 students dead. That jolted the movement greatly and it took several months of curfews to end that movement.

I see a similar pattern in OU clampdown. Given a chance, the andhra's would crush them without hesitation. I guess the media presence is making it hard this time. And on top of that, the HC/SC raps them with show cause notices.

Back to old habits. The andhra politicians have been comparing the protesters to maoists, kashmiri separatists, pakistanis etc etc. Journalists too aren't far away.

Antisocial elements or Maoists in Telangana movement? ? Sulekha News

Telangana Samithi going the Sena way? | TradingMarkets.com

Maoists have infiltrated Telangana movement: Cops: Rediff.com India News

Telangana movement providing cover for Naxals?
I was wondering what to make of these two reports from a few days back

Telangana students may cross over to Maoists
Cong jittery over Telangana on Naxal concerns

It seems like a smear campaign doesn't it as the Maoisits have nothing really to offer the Telangana movmeent except screw up Hyderabad.

Circa 69 Andhra politicians started campaigning way before the massacre. Like the article says, many students joined the naxal movement when the police gunned down many of there student friends. Even with this movement, they've adopted the same old strategy - call them naxals > clampdown on there rights > then wait till they join the naxals > finally squash them with fire power.

SC stays withdrawal of forces from Osmania campus
The AP government has also alleged that they strongly suspect that Maoists have infiltrated the movement and perhaps are inside the campus among the students.
No need to guess where there going with this

blr_p said:
It seems like a smear campaign doesn't it as the Maoisits have nothing really to offer the Telangana movmeent except screw up Hyderabad.

Well if its anything, the Telangana movement is doing the same thing to Hyd right now without any need for Maoists coming into the picture. In fact its screwing up most of Telangana region and not just Hyd. The amount of damage done to the public property and and the amount of losses due to disruption of govt run transport and other services is considerable. The agitators don't care because they are not the kind who pay taxes nor do they realize that they are destroying what was built on people's money, and it is all borne by people like you and me. They just go on in hopes that they will have free lunches without hardwork once the state is divided.

Not to be outdone, the idiots in Andhra region agitiate for a unified andhra and do the same kind of senseless descruction thats happening in Telangana when ever they hear anything in favor of the division.

If the division happens its going to severely affect both regions, but the current situation is even worse with the endless nuisance thats going on.

If there is any thing good coming out of all this currently, its just that the avg stupidity of the people in the state is reducing every time some idiot in either camp commits suicide over this stupid issue.

broadway, do you justify the damage to public property being done by the OU students (a$$holes that they are, they think that the politicians will honour their commitment of giving them quotas once the state is formed). The students are disrupting the functioning of the capital as Lord Nemesis pointed out, and you obviously want to overlook it.

Let the leaders decided what to do, why bring the Public life to a standstill?

Sheesh!

Why didnt our leaders just used ruler to make states back in 47 and 51 :S

Take a map, take a ruler, divide in straight lines based on area and population and be done with it.

I feel the British shouldn't have left. Poor MKG. Little did he know all his work would be nought. The country seems to be ruled by people with iq's lesser than those of insects now.

Lord Nemesis said:
Not to be outdone, the idiots in Andhra region agitiate for a unified andhra and do the same kind of senseless descruction thats happening in Telangana when ever they hear anything in favor of the division.
Hehe this i forgot to mention. The andhra's imitate everything that the telanganas do. Telangana's start a telangana movement, the andhras comes back with a united andhra movement. Telanganas MLA pass there resignation letters to the speaker, the andhra MLA's do the same. Telanganas formed the telangana joint action committee(T-JAC), the andhra's form a united andhra JAC.

Fact is, T movement is more then 50 years old while the united andhra movement is a movement propped by reality goons and it only shows it's face when T movement comes in the limelight. Someone tell me how a three month old drama made it's way in the ToR along with the 50+ yr old movement?
Darthcoder said:
broadway, do you justify the damage to public property being done by the OU students
Why would i be happy if someone pelted a stone on my window? That's not the point though. The OU students are doing whatever they can to attract attention. They have been doing peaceful protests, rallys, drama's, fast till deaths for years and did any news channel outside AP ever cover that? That's the sham of democracy in this country. You don't notice the screams until he picks up a gun and forces your attention. I always wondered why the intellectual class sympathized with the naxals.

===========

The students are organizing a major protest they call "chalo assembly". They are trying to recreate this.

Hyderabad police on alert to foil students' agitation

Telangana: AP CM tells students to drop 'Chalo Assembly' plan
Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister K Rosaiah on Friday appealed to students in Telangana region to give up their plans to take out a 'Chalo Assembly' rally in Hyderabad tomorrow on the statehood issue.

"Students should remain peaceful and focus on their studies since already their academic schedule has been disturbed because of the ongoing agitation," the Chief Minister observed.

"Students are like our children and we have to be responsible in seeing that their academic schedule is not further disturbed," Rosaiah told reporters after the end of the day’s proceedings in the Assembly today.

He said there were efforts by some anti-social elements to infiltrate into agitations and cause trouble. "Students and parents should be wary of this," the Chief Minister cautioned.
Commissioner Warns T-Students
In a press conference, the city police commissioner, A K Khan, today cautioned students from districts of Telangana to stay away from the city tomorrow, referring to the Chalo Assembly call given by the Osmania University students' JAC for February 20 aiming to lay siege to the Andhra Pradesh Legislative Assembly.

He said that Chalo Assembly was illegal, and that the students would get caught in unnecessary cases if they turned up and participated. He said that the police had made adequate arrangements to deal with all eventualities, and requested people to co-operate with the police so that traffic moved smoothly.
Telangana: Security tighten ahead of ‘Chalo Assembly’ call by SJAC
Police have made unprecedented security arrangements in Hyderabad due to ‘Chalo Assembly’ call given by the Student Joint Action Committee and the all party Telangana Joint Action Committee tomorrow on statehood issue.

The proposed agitation has gained significance as the state Budget is being presented tomorrow in the Assembly. Hyderabad police Commissioner A K Khan told media that elaborate arrangements have been made to maintain peace and order in Hyderabad as there was likely disruption to public life following the Chalo Assembly call given by the JACs.
Hyderabad on edge for pro-Telangana student's march
Making arrangement to halt the efforts of Telangana students, all roads heading to the assembly have been closed and the traffic will be diverted to other routes.

Around twenty check-points have been set up and barricades put in place to regulate the movement of traffic.
If this does go down like they say, i'd love to see the police make it memorable.

Darthcoder said:
Let the leaders decided what to do, why bring the Public life to a standstill?
I think its just PR to make the state look like the bad guy.

The BIG assumption being that the commission will rule in the negative tho i've yet to be convinced that WILL actually happen given the previous ruling 50 years earlier. If the ruling is in the negative then the movement becomes illegal after and can be brushed aside & forgotten till it blows up yet again sometime in the future.

How does one guage how popular this movement is ?

Does a sizable majority in Telangana indeed want it or is it just politicos playing it up for their own benefit. Even if it turns out that the ppl are in favour, how do they get their way when the other areas are strongly against. They can point to the previous report that ruled in their favour but there are lots of emotions involved and it won't be that easy.

How many in Andhra are against it, or again are their political counterparts playing it up along with business interests.

The commision is supposed to answer these questions, they have till the end of the year to come up with the answers.

blr_p said:
Does a sizable majority in Telangana indeed want it or is it just politicos playing it up for their own benefit.
Every single political party promised telangana if the people voted for them. Wasn't that referendum enough?

Government will act on Telangana formation after reaching consensus: Chidambaram - Oneindia News
Don't we already know the answer to that statement?

Total lok sabha members of AP
Coastal andhra - 123
Rayalaseema - 52
Telangana - 119

123+52=175

That's 175 v/s 119.

broadway said:
Total lok sabha members of AP
Coastal andhra - 123
Rayalaseema - 52
Telangana - 119

123+52=175

That's 175 v/s 119.

Are all 119 for ?
Are all 175 against ?

Is it safe to say 1/3 of the total are for ? that's no small number.

broadway said:
Every single political party promised telangana if the people voted for them. Wasn't that referendum enough?
How to tell if it won just because of this promise ?

blr_p said:
Are all 119 for ?
Are all 175 against ?
Can't say. The leaders in telangana say they support it and the leaders in andhra don't. The confusing thing is that the congress leaders in telangana support it and the congress leaders in andhra don't. Who's who here? Don't think they had faced this type of situation in 69.
blr_p said:
How to tell if it won just because of this promise ?
Then why did they promise it?

kippu said:
how many seats did TRS stand and win?

pranavreddy said:
Actually it is crystal clear. The party which was established only on one motive, A Separate Telangana , is TRS. And the same party got only some 6 seats in the last assembly elections. So do people really want telangana?? Its just some people, a mob and its being hyped by the media. Come on guys. What difference does it make to the people??

I checked the EC's site and only found a report for 2004

It shows in 2004, TRS
contested - 54 seats
won - 26 seats
forfeited - 17 seats
votes polled - 6.68%

For 2009, TRS won 27 seats

When we hear that "The ppl of Telangana" want a seperate state, does it mean ONLY 27 seats of 294 want it ?
PhotostarSR said:
Well, Iam a Hyderabadi and i guess i know something abt this mess..
First thing:
TRS(Telangana Rastra Samithi) is a hopeless and completely flop party of AP. They win VERY few seats( i guess they won ~12 in last general elections while congress won ~100).
And they win only in places where its difficult to find a person who knows to write telugu :p aka pure illiteracy.
Guess what guys, TRS did NOT even participate in the last month's Greater Hyderabad Municipal polls fearing that they won't win even a single seat! What loosers!
And if you don't know, Hyderabad belongs to Telangana!
This explains how hopeless that party is.

Seems an awful lot of noise for such a small amount isn't it.

6pack said:
I feel the British shouldn't have left. Poor MKG. Little did he know all his work would be nought. The country seems to be ruled by people with iq's lesser than those of insects now.

Heh, if the Brits were in charge these ppl would have been either shot or banged up.

Only in FREE India do they get a commission to decide the outcome.

They're doing their jobs aren't they. Your taxes at work :|

Tho it would be preferable if they were NOT wasted on this.

Back